HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
VA Budget
Posted by: Bob McDonnell ()
Date: December 18, 2009 12:19PM

Here are Governor Kaine's cuts. Not to worry, I can fix all this, and without a tax increase. Best, Bob McD
---
Va. gov: End car tax, raise income tax 1 percent

Funding for state-supported institutions of higher education would be cut by 26 percent over the next few years, a move certain to provoke sharp increases in tuition.

The state would cut about $12 million for mental health crisis services. The cuts would come just two years after mental health budgets were increased by $42 million in response to the April 2007 shooting deaths of 32 people at Virginia Tech by a disturbed student.

Sheriffs and other local constitutional officers would lose about $270.5 million over the two years, and local police department funding would be cut by about $73 million.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: VA Budget
Posted by: Voter ()
Date: December 18, 2009 01:04PM

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out this one. I just paid my car tax bill of over $800 (which came to around $1300 without the car tax relief). Somehow, because the guy who paid $100 in a poorer part of the state only got $20 in tax relief he is giving me a gift. Hey, thanks for that!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/16/AR2009121604072.html

The figure makes the costs of reimbursing local governments for car tax relief the sixth-largest driver of growth in the state budget over the past 10 years, according to state auditors. It also means that residents in more affluent areas such as Northern Virginia, where local governments have set higher car tax rates and more people own expensive cars, receive a greater share of state relief than poorer and more rural areas.

"It's reverse Robin Hood," said Senate Majority Leader Richard L. Saslaw (D), who opposes the program even though his Fairfax constituents benefit the most. "I try to tell these people in other parts of the state, if you want to give the wealthiest county in America a gift, I'll take it. But it's your public schools that are being annihilated."

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: December 18, 2009 01:32PM

Two things...

"I hate that tax!"...was the battle cry of those who wanted to kill the personal property tax...well..."I love that tax!" It was one of the few taxes that a person truly had any control over. Buy a big gas guzzling/expensive car, pay more tax! Buy a new car every 3 years, pay more tax! From a social rengineering perspective it was a perfect tax...it encouraged people to buy less expensive, usually more fuel efficient cars...and to keep the car as long as possible. All good things for personal and local finance.

The new Catholic/religious right administration says they will not support any new/increased taxes as a way to help balance the state budget! The will seek "other" means to balance the budget. Hell, Mcdonnell cant even wait to reopen rest stops closed to save money. He promises to repoen most and to staff them with convicts as a cost saving measure. Remember that the next time you stop at one with your kids!

So..what do we have to look forward to under the coming catholic/religious right administration....smaoke and mirrors...a state government more interested in fighting against the democratic party at the federal level to enhance the national reputuation of McDonnell and Cuccinnelli...and a pending financial disaster at the state level.

Registered Voter...a Big talking coward..big man on FFXU...little man in life.

Posted by: Fairfax Felix ()
Date: December 18, 2009 03:59PM

Voter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out
> this one. I just paid my car tax bill of over
> $800 (which came to around $1300 without the car
> tax relief). Somehow, because the guy who paid
> $100 in a poorer part of the state only got $20 in
> tax relief he is giving me a gift. Hey, thanks
> for that!
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/artic
> le/2009/12/16/AR2009121604072.html
>
> The figure makes the costs of reimbursing local
> governments for car tax relief the sixth-largest
> driver of growth in the state budget over the past
> 10 years, according to state auditors. It also
> means that residents in more affluent areas such
> as Northern Virginia, where local governments have
> set higher car tax rates and more people own
> expensive cars, receive a greater share of state
> relief than poorer and more rural areas.
>
> "It's reverse Robin Hood," said Senate Majority
> Leader Richard L. Saslaw (D), who opposes the
> program even though his Fairfax constituents
> benefit the most. "I try to tell these people in
> other parts of the state, if you want to give the
> wealthiest county in America a gift, I'll take it.
> But it's your public schools that are being
> annihilated."

Senate Majority> Leader Richard L. Saslaw (D) is an incompetent loudmouth. He has never seen an issue or a problem that could not be cured by some sort of tax increase.

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: December 18, 2009 04:18PM

I find it ironic that is called tax "relief". What they have done is said, ok, you owe $1300 on your vehicles. You pay $800 of that (which supposedly goes back to your jurisdiction) and the State (via your tax dollars again...) will pay the jurisdiction an additional $500 to make up for the shortfall.

If they just eliminate the stupid tax (you did pay tax when you bought your car) and tax you on miles driven, or gas used (would make a hell of a lot more sense) then we wouldn't be having this issue. I would support raising gas taxes to make up for some of the revenue lost from this tax if they eliminated it. Not a total wash, but at least that way gas taxes would be more targeted based on your usage of fuel. I don't like the GPS idea, as it means your mileage is now being tracked, and so could your movements.

The gift part of the issue is, they are paying in taxes as well, but we get a larger share in Northern Virginia since our cars are usually more expensive in this area.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Posted by: Palace Revolution ()
Date: December 18, 2009 04:52PM

Vince Wrote:
> Two things...
>
> "I hate that tax!"...was the battle cry of those
> who wanted to kill the personal property
> tax...well..."I love that tax!" It was one of the
> few taxes that a person truly had any control
> over. Buy a big gas guzzling/expensive car, pay
> more tax! Buy a new car every 3 years, pay more
> tax! From a social rengineering perspective it
> was a perfect tax...it encouraged people to buy
> less expensive, usually more fuel efficient
> cars...and to keep the car as long as possible.
> All good things for personal and local finance.
>
> The new Catholic/religious right administration
> says they will not support any new/increased taxes
> as a way to help balance the state budget! The
> will seek "other" means to balance the budget.
> Hell, Mcdonnell cant even wait to reopen rest
> stops closed to save money. He promises to repoen
> most and to staff them with convicts as a cost
> saving measure. Remember that the next time you
> stop at one with your kids!
>
> So..what do we have to look forward to under the
> coming catholic/religious right
> administration....smaoke and mirrors...a state
> government more interested in fighting against the
> democratic party at the federal level to enhance
> the national reputuation of McDonnell and
> Cuccinnelli...and a pending financial disaster at
> the state level.

lol

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: December 18, 2009 05:15PM

Sounds like someone is having BP problems.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: December 18, 2009 05:26PM

Anyone that thinks the car tax is a good idea, look around where you live. Count how many out of state tags you see and if you are ok with paying their share of taxes by registering your car here instead of out of state then you should be ok with more taxes.

Posted by: Voter_ ()
Date: December 18, 2009 06:22PM

Apparently, Gov. Kaine is proposing eliminating the car tax and replacing it with a 1% increase in the income tax. I would support that.

Date: December 18, 2009 06:55PM

Tim45 Wrote:
> Anyone that thinks the car tax is a good idea,
> look around where you live. Count how many out of
> state tags you see and if you are ok with paying
> their share of taxes by registering your car here
> instead of out of state then you should be ok with
> more taxes.

I hardly see any...and if you do..you should be reporting it. It's a great tax!

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: December 18, 2009 07:20PM

Anyone who thinks the car tax is great either is crazy or doesnt pay it. If they want to add another penny to the sales tax then ok but the car tax only hits those honest enough to register the car where they live.

The rest just leave it registered somewhere else and avoid the tax altogether. Not registering your car in Fairfax could save you a thousand dollars or more a year. Not a bad incentive to leave the out of state tags on the car. Not to mention no inspection or emissions test.

Date: December 18, 2009 07:46PM

Im crazy for that tax...what was stupid was eliminating the county sticker!

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: December 18, 2009 09:33PM

Bob McDonnell Wrote:
>
> Funding for state-supported institutions of higher
> education would be cut by 26 percent over the next
> few years, a move certain to provoke sharp
> increases in tuition.

Tuition increases as high as California?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/19/california.tuition.protests/index.html

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.