HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Have liberals and conservatives always hated each other as much as they do now?
Posted by: --Dixon-- ()
Date: November 12, 2012 10:22PM

I'm not that old so I can only recall back to the 2004 election. But I don't remember our countrymen being so disrespectful and downright hostile towards each other.

Seriously, it makes me wonder if we aren't heading towards some sort of collapse due to it. Anyway, I wanted to hear from the old farts on FFXU and find out if this is normal for life in the USA or if its been getting worse.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Have liberals and conservatives always hated each other as much as they do now?
Posted by: Yucky24. ()
Date: November 12, 2012 10:29PM

Nope. We've never been more divided as a nation in recent history.

I just read an article proving it.

We've never had this much complete party control at local and state level ever in our history.

Blue State America is ultra-blue and Red State America is ultra-red.

Re: Have liberals and conservatives always hated each other as much as they do now?
Posted by: Something we can agree on ()
Date: November 12, 2012 10:39PM

Yucky24. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nope. We've never been more divided as a nation in
> recent history.
>
> I just read an article proving it.
>
> We've never had this much complete party control
> at local and state level ever in our history.
>
> Blue State America is ultra-blue and Red State
> America is ultra-red.

Wow. I'm surprised to hear that from you. I agree with you. Shocking.

I'd only add that the state and local level is not as bad as it is on the national level. I do believe more people are tolerant of a governor and state legislature of the opposite party than they are with the President and US Senators and Representatives. Except in cases like in Wisconsin, Nevada and Ohio where they got a little pushy about things.

Posted by: Yucky24. ()
Date: November 12, 2012 10:45PM

You agree with me and then went on to make a contradictory (and wrong) point?

Wha?

Posted by: Seceding from a state? ()
Date: November 12, 2012 11:07PM

Yucky24. Wrote:
> You agree with me and then went on to make a
> contradictory (and wrong) point?
>
> Wha?

How many people threaten to secede from a state over an election outcome?

Thanks for declaring my point wrong, though. I'm glad we have the arbiter of truth posting on this forum.

Date: November 12, 2012 11:07PM

As a divided nation, what will happen? I've read news about petitions being signed by 10,000 people in a dozen states wishing to secede. Yeah, I know that's not going to happen but it's still shocking to hear.

Posted by: Old Fart Here... ()
Date: November 12, 2012 11:44PM

Thank you for your question.

No - it has never been like this before in my memory. Most striking to me - Democrats used to very 'liberal', but in today's environment they are at best moderate (except for some rare fringe elements). It could be said that back then people had more 'skin in the game'. When you're looking at being deployed against your will to a meaningless war (Vietnam) or having to get an illegal abortion - it tends to focus the mind. But times have changed - there is no draft, abortion is legal, women and black people have equal rights - and our country became complacent, figuring that this would never change.

Republicans have always been fiscally moderate, but they generally used to keep their social views pretty much to themselves. Now the Republican Party has been hijacked by religious fundamentalists, warhawks, bigots, misogynists, extreme social conservatives, and all around bat shit crazy people. These folks believe that the rest of us must adopt their extreme views, and they are willing to hold the country hostage until we do. They are willing to do anything to keep their hold on power.

I believe that the 2012 Presidential election was at heart a referendum on basic ideology and fundamental decency, not traditional issues like the economy. People are not willing to be manipulated and lied to by people who have no core values. Personally, I'm proud of the people of this country for standing up and saying 'no more'.

I've voted in the past for both Republican and Democratic candidates. But I cannot imagine supporting a Republican ever again. Following the election, some Republicans appear to have done a complete about face and have embraced social change and 'diversity'. But they do not mean it, and they are not fooling anyone. This election proved that you can't lie your way into the Presidency. And I am profoundly grateful for that.

Date: November 12, 2012 11:58PM

Thanks Ye Olde Farte... that was good.

Posted by: Another Old Fart ()
Date: November 13, 2012 12:34AM

Yeah, they pretty much did hate each other and different variations thereof. It's just more visible now that you have millions of idiots on the Net all able to be manipulated and chime in with their bs on whichever side. Not like most even know wtf is going on but that's not changed much either.

If you wanted an example of a time that this country was more divided you don't have to go back much farther than to the Vietnam days. Or to the civil rights movement and segregation and riots. This is rather tame in comparison.

Hell, people used to shoot at each other so we've made some progress. lol

Date: November 13, 2012 09:58AM

Old Fart Here... Wrote:
> Now the Republican Party has been hijacked by religious
> fundamentalists, warhawks, bigots, misogynists, extreme
> social conservatives, and all around bat shit crazy people.
> These folks believe that the rest of us must adopt their
> extreme views, and they are willing to hold the country
> hostage until we do. They are willing to do anything to
> keep their hold on power.

They're very similar to religious extremists anywhere (Iran, Israel, etc.), except they haven't become violent...yet.

The far right wing in this country is the American Taliban in-training.

Posted by: Curmudgeon ()
Date: November 13, 2012 10:02AM

only other time I can think of when it was this polarized is the 1860's.

problems we have now:

media -- there's no journalism anymore. now you have entertainers who get rich by throwing gasoline on the fire, riling up the bases.

gerrymandering -- repubs most recently, but the parties always redraw voting districts to give themselves as much of an advantage as possible. this means the only way to win a primary for national office is to be as extremist as possible. thus, you get knuckle draggers in congress over and over.

stupidity -- there are 300 million people in the country right now, and a woefully small number have enough education and awareness to vote. so politicians and special interests have figured out that they can lie as much as they want to and people won't be aware enough to call them on it.

two-party system -- in germany there are 5 main parties -- typically some number of them have to form a coalition in order to govern. in the USA, you get two, and both have sold us out to corporations already, so really there's just one. given the lack of rules on campaign finance, good luck raising enough money for a third party to compete.

all four of these problems are on a course to get even worse as time progresses. people are too poor, busy and stupid to demand better. and even if they did, it's hard to get traction because the two-party system protects the status quo.

Posted by: big bull ()
Date: November 13, 2012 10:09AM

I have always hated liberals, the women have big mouths and short man styled haircuts. Their husbands are pussy whipped to the max which allows the women more time to open their pieholes.

Posted by: HOA MGR ()
Date: November 13, 2012 11:18AM

Old Fart Here... ()
"These folks believe that the rest of us must adopt their extreme views"

Who was it that wanted change to allow the gays to marry?
Who was it that wanted change to legalize that wacky weed?
Who was it that wanted change to force the Churches to pay for abortions & birth control?
Who was it that wanted change to charge me if I don't have insurance?
Who was it....
Sounds like those people are the ones forcing thier views on others.

And your login fits cause you STINK! (thats me being a liberal).

+1 for Curmudgeon's post.

Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: November 13, 2012 11:29AM

Since Bobby Jindal told the GOP to "Stop Being The Stupid Party," I believe we have a basis of who is the problem.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.