HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Chantilly :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Traffic circle in poplar tree?
Posted by: Cary ()
Date: November 20, 2005 07:06AM

A traffic circle at Woods Edge ct and Point Pleasant? Why? Seriously. What the hell.

Granted it is the only 4-way intersection in poplar tree, but why a traffic circle? It doesn't even get that much traffic! Has this ever been tried in any other local neighborhoods? Why here?

At first I thought it wasn't permanent, but a couple days ago a big concrete curb showed up and it looks like the middle is being prepped for dirt or something.

Yuck.

I'll try to grab pictures tomorrow.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Traffic circle in poplar tree?
Posted by: ben ()
Date: November 20, 2005 12:28PM

Cary Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A traffic circle at Woods Edge ct and Point
> Pleasant? Why? Seriously. What the hell.
>
> Granted it is the only 4-way intersection in
> poplar tree, but why a traffic circle? It doesn't
> even get that much traffic! Has this ever been
> tried in any other local neighborhoods? Why
> here?
>
> At first I thought it wasn't permanent, but a
> couple days ago a big concrete curb showed up and
> it looks like the middle is being prepped for dirt
> or something.
>
> Yuck.
>
> I'll try to grab pictures tomorrow.

Yup, it's permanent. And incredibly stupid. They did a traffic study and decided to put one in. I don't understand the logic, since it's removed from the area that gets all the rush hour traffic. In fact, that section only got one speed hump- the rest are on the other 3/4 of the circle.

I'm annoyed, but oh well.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: November 22, 2005 10:14PM

If you drive around Montgomery County, LOTS of small neighborhoods have traffic circles. Makes speeding a lot easier once you know where they are. Better than humps.

One neighborhood I was in last week had at least five of them...

But yeah, makes zero sense over y'alls way.

Date: November 22, 2005 11:02PM

I've "heard" that if you're staying straight on Point Pleasant you can go around the traffic circle at 50MPH without problem. Seems kinda pointless in a 25MPH zone if that's the case.

Date: November 23, 2005 08:55AM

Hmm have to try that sometime, anyone care to act as a lookout?

maybe I'll wait till it's warm

Posted by: Alex ()
Date: November 24, 2005 07:55PM

I live off of that street, and its just ugly.

Date: November 30, 2005 01:45AM

Just today I observed one person treat the traffic circle like a stop sign, and another go the wrong direction around it.

oh. my. god.

Date: December 01, 2005 10:37AM

going the wrong direction... that's beautiful, man, just beautiful.

Can't wait til the first unnecessary death.

Date: December 05, 2005 11:49AM

Not to mention people keep stealing/defacing the signs.

Date: December 11, 2005 03:37PM

just drove by that circle yesterday for the first time, and yeah, it makes no sense at all. It's really easy to just speed right around it. I never broke a sweat from my 45 mph clip...

Daaaahhhh;Traffic circle in poplar tree?
Posted by: FB ()
Date: December 13, 2005 09:23AM

If you go 90 miles an hour, what do you think is going to happen. I can assure you if one of you ran over my kid, it would be your last day on this earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Nigel ()
Date: December 14, 2005 01:58AM

I drive through a small but stuffy neighborhood on my final approach to work. The people in that neighborhood act like the public road was their personal driveway. They let their kids on tricycles play in the street and yell at YOU for having a car within 100 feet of them. Really - they'd yell "SLOW DOWN" and I'm going like 2mph and yell "GET YOUR KID OUT OF THE STREET, MORON!". They'd stick those little plastic kid silhouettes with the orange flag in the middle of the road that said "SLOW". Really, they'd walk in the street, stop and talk and deflect any suggestion they get the hell out of the road. Eventually, they put up speed humps and traffic circles with little shrubs and yellow signs... I plowed my Range Rover through the middle of their little crappy shrubby circle for two weeks before I got it out of my system. Is that the kind of circle you're talking about?

If The Are Dope Smoking Pot Heads, Skate...
Posted by: FB ()
Date: December 14, 2005 06:44PM

Boarders run the worthless individuals over. Especially on Point Pleasant, they use to provoke drivers. If it is a kid crossing the street, read my message above. It will be your last day on planet earth!!

Date: December 14, 2005 10:14PM

You're going to launch them into space?

That's kinda expensive, wouldn't it be cheaper just to fly into a rage and kill them?

And who spoke of driving 90 anyway? I was driving at a nice 45 clip, more than enough time to stop for the fucking doped kids in that neighborhood.

Traffic circle in poplar tree?
Posted by: Flame ()
Date: January 08, 2006 02:50PM

I find this board amazing. The same people willing to string someone up for a traffic citation, go wild over traffic calming devices because they themselves won't obey the law.

Which way is it guys?

Posted by: ryan ()
Date: March 15, 2009 08:14PM

the thing is the traffic circle doesn't make the neighborhood any safer. everyone i know just does donuts around it. and there still plenty of room to speed by it without having to turn more than a little bit.

Posted by: circular logic ()
Date: August 05, 2017 04:14PM

It's actually faster to go through a roundabout because you don't need to stop. Sometimes they put up stop signs at the entrance to a roundabout which makes absolutely no sense. There is one like that in Kings Park

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.