HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Chantilly :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Brookfield - what happened?
Posted by: Whitey ()
Date: June 09, 2005 04:02PM

Hello All!

I moved to Brookfield in late 1995 and lived on Novar Drive until early 2001.
I then moved around a bit and in Fairfax Now.

I miss the old Brookfield. Remember the Amish market (where Food Lion is now)

Brookfield used to be clean. Now its got trash all over the area. People dont cut their grass anymore. Broken down cars... just wierd.

Where did it go wrong, and when?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brookfield - what happened?
Posted by: Cary ()
Date: June 09, 2005 06:02PM

Holy shit the Pennsylvania Dutch Farmers Market! They had the best pretzels in the world. And it took like four years for the damn food lion to come in after they left. Before that it was a Super Fresh, and the Staples was an F&M or something.

But as far as the decline of Brookfield it has always been kind of shady over by Novar near Brookleigh. Most of Brookfield is still pretty well kept, especially over Lees Corner near the Library. There will always be the occasional bad neighbor (maybe we need a thread about them, I can think of a couple, like that house on Galesbury near Food Lion) but overall it's in pretty good shape for a neighborhood that's like 40 years old (I think?)

Posted by: Whitey ()
Date: June 09, 2005 10:56PM

I loved the Farmers Market. They had some good stuff, always got ingridients there for a great home made pizza.

Before they leveled one side of the shop center down I remember Chantilly donut shop, the dentist, and and that chinese carry out....chop wok or something like that.

Before Staples there was F&M and some cosmetics store I think.

What is now a dance studio used to be a bank.

I think the only things that really stayed untouched are: Total Crafts and that Flower Shop....

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: June 12, 2005 04:55PM

What about the Track Auto? Or advanced auto parts or whatever it is now, same thing. I'm pretty sure that has been there forever.
The bank that was down there used to be a Crestar, and they got bought out by some obscure bank (think it started with a P). The closest branch was off Westfields Blvd in the shopping center with the Franks and Safeway.

And down where the Quiznos is used to be a nursery garden or something like that.

Do you remember the Chantilly Farmers Market? It used to be up on 50 near Centreville Rd. They had great fruits and vegetables. And hay rides and the such in the fall.

Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: June 12, 2005 08:36PM

I used to get my pumpkins there as a kid, loved the hayhouse play area they had

Posted by: tarp ()
Date: June 13, 2005 10:39AM

Yeah I remember the farmers market there. Now it's @accessbank or something.

Posted by: SE ()
Date: July 10, 2005 01:12AM

I used to work at the PA Dutch market! In the summer while in HS at CHS! It was hilarious, the amish would arrive each mornings in vans...and drive home each day to PA. The entire store ran off of generators, they didnt use electricity. They had the best pretzels!

Posted by: Nik ()
Date: August 17, 2005 07:26PM

The place where the Quizno's is was actually some beaten-up old shack that belonged to someone during the Civil War.

----------------
WHERE'S THE BEEF

Posted by: Dean ()
Date: August 18, 2005 10:31AM

I loved the Amish Market..pretzels and sandwhiches....grew up in Brookfield and now moved back..well waverly crossing

Brookfield has always been a little dumpy in areas...but still looking good. My old house on Pennsboro ct got renovated and looks great...I think there will be more of that..cheaper housing..younger people wanting to buy

I used to take sax lessons at the music store by the dougnut shop

The nursery there...remeber when someone stole their parrot....the family that owned that sold it and moved to some historic house in warrenton...dad died.....

That Quiznos sucks....poor location

Date: August 24, 2005 08:46PM

Yeah I went to HS with the kid who lived in that house.

I remember Chantilly Plaza back since the days that F&M was there, before Staples. And the gas station changed names like 20 times. It was .99/gallon in High School when it was called "Lowest Price" and you could only pay cash =X

Posted by: Pbech ()
Date: September 22, 2005 08:43PM

I've lived in Brookfield, Waverly Crossing to be perfectly exact since I can't even remember...since it was even there... 1988, bitches.

Anyhow... Who remembers the little 'mall' type thing that was like 'behind' where Food Lion's fat ass now sits and King's Bite chills so proudly with their 5.99 pizzas... That asian nail place with the cursed candy... Chantilly Donuts... I was too young to remember anything else but I remember loving to go back there.

Hey Nik- that was no 'beat up old shack'. One of my friends once lived in that house- it was actually a landmark, and a hospital during the Civil War. I don't know how they got the clearance to tear it down... Probably cuz they left the chimney up: how clever. I think it's horrible they turned my good friend's birthplace into a fuckin' toasted sub joint. But oh well. Money talks.

Something I notice about Brookfield, Waverly Crossing/ Valley Country Block especially is there's barely any kids playing outside compared to how we all were back in the day. I love technology as much as the next man but this becoming a crisis!! Just kidding...they ain't my kids and it ain't me but our world is going to hell in a handbasket!! Please let's continue this reminising...it almost makes me tear up!

-Pbeezie

Posted by: ben ()
Date: September 22, 2005 11:01PM

Ahh, "F&M Plaza", place of much wasted time in my youth.

Wait, no, that's not right, there's never been anything there to waste time on.

Date: September 29, 2005 12:35PM

PBech, wasnt it Mike Dawley that lived there? We probably know each other...I went to CHS 98'. I totally forgot about Chantilly donuts! I think that little chinese joint is still there....and I remember getting my nails done at that nail place for homecoming. Remember when Greenbriar was ONLY the giant, peoples drug, ricky's pizza, etc...and nothing else? And Shell, McD's, Pizza Hut, and Roy Rogers? We used to skip 3rd period at CHS and go to Roy Rogers....and security (Mainly Mr Mckinney) would come up there and bust us. Oh, the good old days.

My best friend lived in Brookfield (Tabscott) in highschool....used to spend a lot of time in that neigborhood. I grew up in Foxfield, moved there in 86'.

Posted by: Nigel ()
Date: December 14, 2005 08:29AM

I remember when the plaza was Dart Drug, Trak Auto and it may have had a Crown Books.

------------

printf($randomline(sigs.txt) \n "-- "$randomline(authors.txt));
-- myself

Posted by: BR ()
Date: December 20, 2005 11:01AM

I barely remember when the Dart Drug was there...that had to have been mid/late '80s when I was 9 years old. Definitely remember CMC and Chantilly Donuts.

Posted by: totaljob ()
Date: December 25, 2006 09:45AM

i used to work at that F&M. ahh such fond memories of filling shopping carts and just walking out the front door. i got fired about a week before most of my coworkers were busted.

Posted by: badazzhispanic ()
Date: July 30, 2007 01:40AM

i remember moving from falls church to brookfield and remember the old bank right by the balorina place is now.....and i also remember when the amish market was there in which they sold trading cards and awesome pretzels...everything changes but its always for the good...and you will always catch you assholes,jerks, non grass cutters, and bigots......the thing is that there is no home ownership in the brookfeild area....at least over by the brookfield pool.....

Date: December 05, 2007 06:54PM

I thought they were supposed to start another HOA? They need it, bad.

Posted by: J ()
Date: January 01, 2008 04:42PM

My wife and I used to live in Brookleigh back in 96-99, it was going way downhill when we left. It's so ghetto now. It took forever for that Food Lion to open up, but that chinese restaraunt was kick ass.

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: January 11, 2008 05:32PM

SE, I have got to know you, You lived in Foxfield in 86. I moved to Foxfield lane in 87. . small internet world.

Date: January 17, 2008 07:11PM

If you went to Lees Corner in 87-92, then yes, we probably do know each other :) I'm 28 now...not sure how old you are..? I think Foxfield Ln is over off of Lees Corner Rd? I lived closer to the Pkwy off of Stringfellow.

Posted by: LILBITS ()
Date: February 26, 2008 06:17PM

This community does have a Civic Associatin of which I am a member. This is not the ghetto and I resent anyone referring to our community as such. Brookfield has many wonderful things to offer its residents such as three really great schools to walk to. Including the much sought after Chantilly High School! Really great pool with huge new Clubhouse. Nice walking trails and sidewalks with close proxmity to the Dullas Corridor, close to Fair Oaks, and we are Chantilly the hole in the donut as the Washington Post calls us. No Homeowners Association fees to have to pay and homes that are quality construction even though they are older. Sometimes older is better folks! So if many of you have moved out of the community why would Brookfield be such a hot topic for you! Well you need to check out the Brookfield Civic Association and our website http://www.brookfieldassociation.org. Oh yes we are working hard to BRING BROOKFIELD BACK! How about not bashing our community since most of you say you have moved on would be nice. For the rest of us WELL WE LIKE IT HERE!

Posted by: wigger ()
Date: February 26, 2008 07:08PM

Brookefield looks like hell
it seriously does look like the hood - its sad

you see all these old busted up chevys and cadillacs in peoples driveways, next to trash, and CHS lighting up on their porches - reminds me of the movie Friday

Posted by: wigger ()
Date: February 26, 2008 07:08PM

*CHS students

Posted by: Franky ()
Date: July 15, 2008 08:13PM

I live on ellendale and have been in the same house for about 8-9 years, not an "OG" persay like most of the older families who have been in the neighborhood for fuckin' 20,000 years but i love the area and dont plan on leaving at t he moment. for all the brookfield bashers, yall are just mad cause you don't live here.
o yeah ... and i hate that stupid ass Stein Mart, at least give us some way of getting groceries other than forcing us to Giant or Safeway. Who needs another gay ass clothing store for old/middle-aged white woman to make themselves feel better?? Give us a wegmans!!

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: July 16, 2008 09:38AM

Some good hookers to be found in that sub division.

Posted by: random ()
Date: July 31, 2008 12:21PM

The neighborhood has actaully started to turn around some in the last few months. I guess it is from a combo of the riff-raff getting hit by foreclosures and the civic association getting zoning up off their butts to do their jobs. I notice fewer junk cars in driveways, less junk in carports spilling out in the yards and seems the overcrowding in some of the houses has been cut down as well. Hopefully the trend will continue.

Posted by: Joesh ()
Date: March 14, 2009 06:06PM

Franky is right. We could use a grocery store in that center again. Shoppers and Lotte aren't too far, but it was more convenient to drive for 2 minutes to food lion. nothing against steinmart. steinmart could stay and maybe staples could go. ;)
the updated hoa site is http://brookfieldcivic.org/

Posted by: asdff ()
Date: March 22, 2009 01:43PM

thanks a lot for burning down Turley hall, ass holes

Posted by: f-off ()
Date: April 03, 2009 02:07PM

496 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some good hookers to be found in that sub
> division.

where? I never see them

Posted by: don't touch the ground...it's lava ()
Date: April 21, 2009 01:16AM

I Was talking to a friend and does anyone remember the old Brookfield Elementary wooden playground? I was sure that it was burned down but wasn't sure. Does anyone have any pictures of it? It was the best playground ever. Also i need to get the blueprints of it to recreate it in my backyard...adult size though.

Posted by: meh ()
Date: April 29, 2009 10:22PM

I went to brookfield until 01 and the playground was torn down due to the new wing that was built on the left side of the school and the basketball courts they added

Date: May 24, 2009 02:11AM

I LOVED that playground! I didn't go to Brookfield but my friend's Dad used to drive us over there on the weekend to play. That thing was awesome! I know it was torn down to make room for the new wing as the person above me said - but I remember hearing that a kid got really hurt or something - it wasn't to code/safe or something. Man I'd love to see pics of that thing!

Posted by: The Grinch ()
Date: December 18, 2009 03:53PM

Whitey Wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I moved to Brookfield in late 1995 and lived on
> Novar Drive until early 2001.
> I then moved around a bit and in Fairfax Now.
>
> I miss the old Brookfield. Remember the Amish
> market (where Food Lion is now)
>
> Brookfield used to be clean. Now its got trash all
> over the area. People dont cut their grass
> anymore. Broken down cars... just wierd.
>
> Where did it go wrong, and when?
>
>

it went wrong when you moved away whitely

Posted by: taintbreaker ()
Date: February 01, 2011 02:11PM

Sorry to bring back an old thread I arrived in chantilly in 97 and I went to brookfield elementary. I have the best memories from there. if anyone went there around 98 - 02 I think i might know or remember you..hahaa in my day the best thing was field day, colonial day and other events that the school had. I still remember a few of the teachers that were there in my time. Mrs Price, Mrs Miller, Mrs Schaffer, Mrs Mayo, Mrs Katz, Mr Schaffer(counselor), Mrs Yuska, Mr Pozda those are some of the few that were there when I went there. did anyone ever go to the creek that separated brookfield and winding brook to catch crayfish or ride across it on a bike or simply just hang around tossing rocks? wow! that was awesome im gonna go back and visit those spots one day.

Posted by: just me ()
Date: February 02, 2011 09:40AM

I breifly lived on the other side of rte 50 near Lees Corner Elem. They had a wooden swingset I believed that burned down in the early 90's. Before Super Fresh, Food Lion, the Amish Market, A & P was one of the first grocery chains there.

Posted by: neverleft ()
Date: February 10, 2011 12:05PM

"that was awesome im gonna go back and visit those spots one day."

It's not the same. Lived here my whole life (1983 to present), sad to see it change over the years.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: February 10, 2011 02:13PM

neverleft Wrote:
> "that was awesome im gonna go back and visit those
> spots one day."
>
> It's not the same. Lived here my whole life (1983
> to present), sad to see it change over the years.

Some people are nice, but most are just dirtballs.

Posted by: Fgriggs ()
Date: June 08, 2011 03:08PM

The sad part is that their are many houses occupied by several families, and these are supposed to be single family homes. Many are Asian and Spanish, please tell me I am wrong. So with these families you get about 6 cars all up and down the street. Now we also have people speeding on motorcycles all up and down the side streets. It won't be long before one of them hits a car or an innocent child playing nearby.
The Civic Association is doing a super job trying to report violations but the county just takes too long to take action.

Again, the biggest problem is multiple families in single family houses.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: June 23, 2011 01:32PM

It's a lot of Indians, Mexicans, and South Americans.

Posted by: JCOS ()
Date: July 20, 2011 10:28PM

The Civic association is doing a wonderful job harassing the non white members of the community. They would rather focus on how many people live in a house, or how many cars are parked at a house instead of the white teenagers (probably their kids) that are at the Brookfield pool parking lot smoking weed and holding up traffic while they do their durg deals in the middle of the street!

not to mention, the ppl racing ATVs in the middle of the street.

Date: August 14, 2011 08:07PM

The downfall of Brookfield is when the HOA expired. Yes, HOA's can be over the top sometimes, but mostly they help the neighborhood with rules and regulations all must follow. Without an HOA anyone can park a truck on their front yard or install an absolutely ugly fence also in the front. What an eyesore!!!

Plain and simple, without an HOA "anything goes".

Posted by: Gmath11 ()
Date: August 15, 2011 05:48PM

Sorry to bring back an old thread I arrived in chantilly in 97 and I went to brookfield elementary. I have the best memories from there. if anyone went there around 98 - 02 I think i might know or remember you..hahaa in my day the best thing was field day, colonial day and other events that the school had. I still remember a few of the teachers that were there in my time. Mrs Price, Mrs Miller, Mrs Schaffer, Mrs Mayo, Mrs Katz, Mr Schaffer(counselor), Mrs Yuska, Mr Pozda those are some of the few that were there when I went there. did anyone ever go to the creek that separated brookfield and winding brook to catch crayfish or ride across it on a bike or simply just hang around tossing rocks? wow! that was awesome im gonna go back and visit those spots one day.

I went to Brookfield elemtary back in the day and had all of those teachers. I remember Mrs.Mayo picking my brother and I up when we were walking home and taking us back to school because my brother missed a play recital. Mad memories and to all you haters, Brookfield is still awesome, much more character than anywhere else I've lived. BFC for life!

Date: August 15, 2011 07:05PM

Dear JCOS,
These are single family homes not homes built for 3 families. When multiple families are living in single family homes they are not all paying real estate taxes for the city in which they live. Please explain that.

At least when you have 3 drivers in one residence, then the personal property tax money goes to the police dept, fire dept, schools and libraries. That I am happy with. But it totally defeats the purpose if the multiple families have only 1 car.
That's my biggest complaint, I could care less about ATF's racing down the street.

Posted by: Realtor ()
Date: September 10, 2011 03:30AM

Anyone remember Down's or Downses? It was a store in an old building where the Quiznos is. I just remember going the as a kid. Around 1970-78.

Posted by: Chantilly boy ()
Date: October 15, 2016 04:23PM

I remember Down's store. As a little kid in the 70's it felt like an adventure to walk out of the subdivision onto the highway, cross the creek bridge, and go into Down's. Maybe buy something, maybe not. Kids would fish off the bridge catching little bluegills.

Nice little childhood memory. But I also remember an awful tragedy. 2 brothers, last name Gresham, were walking back from Down's one day, on the shoulder of rt. 50, and some guy went off the road, hitting them. Both died. Another terrible part of that story is that the boys ' family home was on Galesbury, close to 50, so their front door opened up facing the scene of that horrible loss.

Re: Brookfield - Brookfield plaza early days
Posted by: Chantilly boy ()
Date: October 30, 2016 03:37PM

i moved into Brookfield ca. 1972. Parents bought their house new. Galesbury Lane, Lynncroft Dr. Etc were still gravel between freshly poured cement curbs. Galesbury ended where the townhouses are now, with a big black and white wooden "road closed " type barrier. Big rocky weed covered field where the shopping center is now. Me and the rest of the neighborhood kids would play and ride bikes in the vacant land beyond the subdivision. Then we played in the the construction sites. Great fun for little boys to have that construction activity going on. When Brookfield Plaza was first opened, it had an A&P grocery store (subsequent iterations Farm Fresh, that Dutch Amish grocery, etc.). the other big store was Dart Drug. Weird store, we bought everything there from lumber to sneakers to airplane models. The other spaces in the mall included a pizza place called Pizza Kaezano or something like that; a Chinese restaurant run by the Chan family of Brookfield; Nupen jewelry (the Nupens lived down in the Lynncroft dr. Cul-de-sac); a cleaners; Trak Auto. The little building out in the middle of the parking lot was always a florist. I remember seeing a video game for the first time, in pizza Kaezano--pong. I remember playing Asteroids, Space Invaders, and Tempest in the the Dart drug. Fixing my piece of crap cars in the parking lot with tools and parts I bought at Trak.

Re: Brookfield - Brookfield plaza early days
Posted by: Krindy4 ()
Date: December 01, 2017 07:33PM

I remember playing the jukebox in Pizza Kaezano from the table. Specifically remember the energy crisis song, Golden Years by Bowie, and Trampled Under Foot by Led Zeppelin. Bought a lot of candy from Dart Drug when I was a kid.

Posted by: chchcnxm ()
Date: August 04, 2018 05:23PM

That’s what happens when dirty spics are let loose on the community. Vote republican.

Posted by: united employee ()
Date: October 30, 2018 06:48AM

Old thread is old.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.