HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Prince William :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Empty Houses
Posted by: Manassas Resident ()
Date: April 21, 2008 11:35AM

So the Washington Post is running a series of articles about how the anti-immigration movement is leaving houses empty in Manassas and PW county. Basically PW leaders are leaving us with declining housing values and a falling tax base while scaring away potential employers who can't justify locating a facility in a county that goes after Hispanics.

Good job, morons. You've ruined your county's reputation nationally. It will take years to recover.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Empty Houses
Posted by: Steve ()
Date: April 21, 2008 08:05PM

You cannot sell a house unless you have someone willing to buy it. If this is not an issue, then one should not be concerned about their property's value unless they enjoy paying higher real estate taxes.

My point is that I believe it would be significantly easier to sell a home when it is in a neighborhood consisting of neighbors who take care of their homes, rather than in a neighborhood in which a prospective buyer cannot even find a place to park to see the home.

I recognize the temporary backlash this move by the County and other local jurisdictions to rid the area of illegal immigrants, however it is only temporary. It was not the illegal immigrants that caused our homes to be valued as high as they were a few years back. Like any other decline in the market, this is only temporary. Our economy is unspeakably more sophisticated and stable than it was during the Great Depression and other economic downturns.

Thoughts?

Posted by: What ()
Date: April 21, 2008 08:47PM

Nationally? I don't think I know one person living outside of VA that even knows where PW County is, or its supposed reputation. Why do people always blow things way out of proportion?

IMO no matter what type of "stance" the county will take against hispanics, if it's even true, it most likely won't counteract the thousands of people who flock to this area for jobs every year and are looking for something 'fairly' close to city and want something affordable. You're making it sound like this place is a ghost town. I understand where you're living may be different, but from the looks of it where I live, my area is going to look like Fair Lakes in a couple years.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: April 22, 2008 10:35AM

What the F do you expect? Its Manassas for christ sake. The place is a shit hole.

Date: April 22, 2008 03:03PM

You have no idea what your talking about 496. You most likely do not live in the area. There are certainly some ugly sections of Manassas, but there are uglier sections in Reston, Alexandria, and any other "nice" areas of northern Virginia.

Date: April 23, 2008 11:30AM

Stevie boy, please keep your sorry ass in ManASSas ok? White trash like yourself can call it home.

Date: April 23, 2008 03:33PM

496 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stevie boy, please keep your sorry ass in ManASSas
> ok? White trash like yourself can call it home.

You are probably as ignorant as they come. If you knew me, white trash would never come to mind. It is certainly people with your level of ignorance that causes such places to "suffer" from such a stereotypes. As I expressed before, Manassas is does have some ugly parts, but its ugliest parts are prettier than the ugliest parts of other northern Virginia areas.

Do us all a favor: when you want to contribute to a conversation that was sparked with some level of intelligence, bring some intelligence with you.

Date: April 24, 2008 02:20PM

One look at what real estate is doing these days in Manasshole will confirm all I've said. Now bugger off.

Posted by: MP ()
Date: April 29, 2008 01:15AM

I would be interested in knowing where you live 496. Look around you. Look around the country. The housing market is plummeting, and it is no different in Fairfax County. Manassas City just happens to be a little more densely populated than the whole of Fairfax. Get your facts straight before you contribute to a thread that is actually involving individuals with genuine interest and knowledge of the topic.

Date: April 29, 2008 02:51PM

No diff in FFX county? Now I know crack is alive and well in Manassas.....
douchebag

Posted by: MP ()
Date: April 29, 2008 03:16PM

Yet again, no contribution from 496 other than maniacal banter. Try something of substance rather than show your maturity level.

Posted by: championSTATUS ()
Date: June 11, 2008 11:13AM

Immigrants in my opinion ruin our reputation. Most of them are criminals and are rude and I hate having to repeat my orders at fast food joints.

Date: June 15, 2008 07:21PM

I rode through Manassas neighborhoods today. What I saw were a bunch of abandoned houses with overgrown yards. I also saw a bunch of houses with Hispanics and tons of cars.

What Prince William County's leadership has managed to do is give Manassas and Prince William County the worst of both worlds. PWC has the higher foreclosure numbers in the state. It is made worse because PWC is driving potential employers and residents away with its hateful ordinances. At the same time the illegal immigrants, who had no problem breaking the law in the first place, continue to break this new law.

I checked into getting a home loan in PWC. You can't get one. You HAVE to have 20 percent down, as opposed to 5 percent in Fairfax and Loudoun. Why do you think that is??? In any case, there is a huge economic incentive for people not to buy in PWC because of it.

Good going, dumbasses. You've destroyed your county.

Posted by: ummm no ()
Date: July 24, 2008 01:34PM

strange - this is all news to me...PWC is already recovering. It appears people want to move to a place where the law is upheld.

Prince William County house sales:
June went up 82% over 2007,
Manassas Park went up by 116%,
Manassas City went up by 178%

Date: July 25, 2008 01:59PM

ummm no Wrote:
> strange - this is all news to me...PWC is already
> recovering. It appears people want to move to a
> place where the law is upheld.
>
> Prince William County house sales:
> June went up 82% over 2007,
> Manassas Park went up by 116%,
> Manassas City went up by 178%

When sales were zero in 2007, it isn't difficult to sell one house and increase by 100%.

I dare you to compare these numbers to 2006. In addition, I dare you to do that comparison and then compare the same percentages to Fairfax, Loudoun and even Stafford. You will see there is a problem.

Posted by: vapreneur ()
Date: August 05, 2008 03:25AM

i just bought one of those empty/vacant houses in manassas known as a foreclosure and plan to turn it around.

a friend of mine just got one too, and anyone with money around the no. va. area is gonna come and scoop these up sooner or later.

i think this is what will ultimately stabilize the market around manassas, cuz its a blood bath right now. you got 3 level, 3 bedroom townhouses selling as low as 60K.

anyone with 6 grand and decent credit can still buy these and will

Posted by: Jigger ()
Date: August 08, 2008 07:43PM

Just exactly where are these "$60K" townhouses located in Manassas? GTown South? The majority of the houses that were foreclosed upon have been severely neglected and destroyed inside. It will take a lot of money and hard work to make them livable once again.

Good luck!

Date: August 11, 2008 03:24AM

yorkshire, newton patent, tendring trail, centerton, lots of areas in manassas. the 60K ones are really shitty though and require a lot of work, but there are single families selling for 125K now that sold for 330K just 3 years ago.

your loss is my gain
finders keepers, losers weepers
the law of profit - buy low, sell high.

Date: August 17, 2008 11:28AM

Jigger Wrote:
> Just exactly where are these "$60K" townhouses
> located in Manassas? GTown South? The majority
> of the houses that were foreclosed upon have been
> severely neglected and destroyed inside. It will
> take a lot of money and hard work to make them
> livable once again.
>
> Good luck!

Unless vapreneur has remarkable cash flow from other revenue streams and can sit on a property for a couple of years, I get the impression he is just another one of these dummies who will end up in foreclosure in a year or two.

Now is definitely a good time to buy real estate in Prince William County. But if you are doing it with the idea that you are going to make a killing on renting or with the belief that if you invest $60K to fix a $60K town home in Georgetown South and you are going to make a windfall that is worth your time and effort anytime soon, you are kidding yourself. I would suggest buying a $300K home in Wellington or Great Oaks as a residence that you will live in. That's pretty much it. I don't think these houses will be $500K again for quite some time.

Date: August 18, 2008 06:30PM

its just so funny how many haters and scared investors exist on these forums. the truth of the matter is, most of you people don't own shit and have no balls to put your money down, whether its stocks, business or real estate.

im getting a house at a steal/bargain (6 year low) but everyone on this site seems to think that is illogical or abnormal. lol rofl

i make a lot of money, i have a lot of money saved up, and i can afford to buy 3 houses if i wanted to and make the payments for 3 years on time. i think thats what really upsets a lot of users on this forum. that now is the best time to buy and they don't have the $ or credit to buy.

cuz the majority of people bought homes in 2005 - 2007 and got raped. now you fools are stuck with negative equity. me and other investors now are going to come in the market now, get these 2nd or 3rd homes, and help prop up the RE market. you should be thanking people like me. we're helping to reduce the supply in the market.

the IRS is giving a $7500 tax credit to all new homebuyers from now until july 2009. wake up people, now is the best time to buy. the government is offering more incentives now to buy.

and FYI, i plan on living in the house and won't depend on tenants to help pay the bills. does that help morons?

Date: August 18, 2008 06:33PM

oh yeah, and i got a house for 150K. this same house sold for 330K just 2.5 years.

now the ideology it seems from users on this forum, is that people should do the opposite. you think i should've bought at the top of the market right?

fucking haters. yall are just upset cuz ill be paying $1000 a month in bills while you're paying 2 grand.

Date: August 19, 2008 01:34AM

I did buy my home in 2006, and yes, I am losing my rear end. However, I am ok with this because I am in the position to buy myself out of my home if absolutely necessary. I wish I were in the position to buy up these foreclosed homes in the Manassas area. Vaprenuer is absolutely correct in his assertion (although I am uncertain he should be so defensive/aggressive): if you have the means, you would be a fool to not buy up these properties. I unfortunately am too involved in a new business to concentrate on property acquirement.

For those of us who do own in the Manassas area, it is a great thing for investors to be moving in. Although our property values will not go to their initial value for quite some time, these investors are insuring that the fall in our property values is slowing. Be thankful.

Date: August 19, 2008 11:13AM

vapreneur Wrote:

>
>
> and FYI, i plan on living in the house and won't
> depend on tenants to help pay the bills. does
> that help morons?

That hardly makes you a vapreneur. It makes you a homeowner, moron.

Date: August 19, 2008 11:21AM

Steve Wrote:
> I did buy my home in 2006, and yes, I am losing my
> rear end. However, I am ok with this because I am
> in the position to buy myself out of my home if
> absolutely necessary. I wish I were in the
> position to buy up these foreclosed homes in the
> Manassas area. Vaprenuer is absolutely correct in
> his assertion (although I am uncertain he should
> be so defensive/aggressive): if you have the
> means, you would be a fool to not buy up these
> properties. I unfortunately am too involved in a
> new business to concentrate on property
> acquirement.
>
> For those of us who do own in the Manassas area,
> it is a great thing for investors to be moving in.
> Although our property values will not go to their
> initial value for quite some time, these investors
> are insuring that the fall in our property values
> is slowing. Be thankful.

I have neighbors who bought their houses in 2005 and 2006 who owe at least $200K+ more than the homes are worth. I have no idea if these people used sub-prime or what, but I feel sorry for them. They got swept up in this home-buying idiocy.

We thought about moving in 2005. However, I looked at homes in Burke that were sold before the real estate sign was put in the ground. There was one house, that really wasn't any bigger than our current one, that was listed for $600K but had 30 bids on it. I imagine it probably went in the $750K range. Keep in mind, this same house might be worth $400K now.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Date: August 19, 2008 03:10PM

THANK YOU STEVE!

im glad someone is capable of critical thinking and has common sense on this forum

Date: August 19, 2008 03:43PM

no actually i am a virginia entrepreneur because i own my own business

and second, again, i hate to bring more bad news to you haters, but i have a list of people (friends and acquaintances) lined up ready to rent

this isn't brain surgery guys, people either do one of two things, RENT OR OWN

Date: August 19, 2008 04:25PM

vapreneur Wrote:

>
> this isn't brain surgery guys, people either do
> one of two things, RENT OR OWN

Be sure to tell the bankruptcy judge that.

Date: August 19, 2008 09:28PM

who said anything about bankruptcy buddy?

i dont get it, are there really that many bitter pricks living in this region?

like im sorry buddy, but just cuz ur on the virge of bankruptcy, doesn't mean you have to hate on other people who aren't broke like you

Posted by: manassassucksass ()
Date: September 24, 2008 01:37PM

Oh yeah, Manassas had such "positive" reputation!!! ROFL

Manassas Resident Wrote:
> So the Washington Post is running a series of
> articles about how the anti-immigration movement
> is leaving houses empty in Manassas and PW county.
> Basically PW leaders are leaving us with declining
> housing values and a falling tax base while
> scaring away potential employers who can't justify
> locating a facility in a county that goes after
> Hispanics.
>
> Good job, morons. You've ruined your county's
> reputation nationally. It will take years to
> recover.

Posted by: michellery ()
Date: October 18, 2008 06:30AM

wow some angry people in this board...
anyways, as a newly engaged couple getting married soon, we werent able to afford anything in fairfax county, but manassas has soooo much available. we just bought a foreclosure 2 weeks ago. its in yorkshire, $160K (went for $325K in 2007), almost an acre of land. no way in hell we'd get anything like this in fairfax or loudoun. and our neighbors are wonderful. everyone around us has been there at least 20 years and they really care about their community and watch out for all of us. today there was a little "incident" where someone was wandering the neighborhood with a gun threatening to kill himself and our neighbor was going door to door telling all the neighbors to stay inside, he and his wife were gathering the random childen who's parents werent home - they are all so close knit over here its great. i've lived in fairfax county for almost 20 years now, and had been in virginia run for about 15 - can honestly tell you that no one there is like that.

and read an interesting fact reciently - prince william county crime rate is down about 20% since they started the immigration laws - fairfax and loudoun is all up. guess the "scum" are moving out of manassas and into the surrounding areas. manassas can only move on up :) and from what i saw looking at houses, the people looking are all in their mid 20-30's, white, newlyweds.

i think we're getting off good with this deal, and a lot of people i know are doing the same thing.

anyways, just my two cents.

Posted by: michellery ()
Date: October 18, 2008 06:36AM

Manassas Resident Wrote:

>
> I checked into getting a home loan in PWC. You
> can't get one. You HAVE to have 20 percent down,
> as opposed to 5 percent in Fairfax and Loudoun.
> Why do you think that is??? In any case, there is
> a huge economic incentive for people not to buy in
> PWC because of it.

this is just BS. we put 3% down. got an loan fixed at 5.5%. obviously you dont have good credit. plus that $7500 first time buyer tax credit - i would call those pretty good incentives. you have to shop around.

Posted by: manassaschica ()
Date: October 22, 2008 02:32PM

michellery Wrote:
> Manassas Resident Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > I checked into getting a home loan in PWC. You
> > can't get one. You HAVE to have 20 percent
> down,
> > as opposed to 5 percent in Fairfax and Loudoun.
> > Why do you think that is??? In any case, there
> is
> > a huge economic incentive for people not to buy
> in
> > PWC because of it.
>
>
> this is just BS. we put 3% down. got an loan
> fixed at 5.5%. obviously you dont have good
> credit. plus that $7500 first time buyer tax
> credit - i would call those pretty good
> incentives. you have to shop around.

I'm a first time homebuyer looking hard at manassas (i'm in centreville now with parents) for a townhouse for my son (he's 6) and I. I know to avoid Georgetown south...even though I knew a few hispanic people that live there and not all are bad, I just want to wake up in the morning and know my car is there LOL.

With that said, I have 7k saved up and a 640 FICO....will this get me into a decent townhouse for ~100-120k? I make $45k a year and do get overtime. I don't feel like renting a 2 bedroom apartment in the same area I am in now for over $1300 a month when I can buy a starter townhouse with a mortage of $900 a month for 3 bedrooms and at least 2 levels....

I know to avoid countrywide,any suggestions as to who to apply with (besides my bank/Credit union)?

Date: November 06, 2008 09:44AM

I don't care how many "white" folks in their 20s/30s move there, that shithole is always going to be 3-world-esque. Stop laying to yourself about how it's going to get better. A neighbor went door-2-door to ask everyone to shut their doors, because........wtf???? Only in Manassas!!! LOL

michellery Wrote:
> wow some angry people in this board...
> anyways, as a newly engaged couple getting married
> soon, we werent able to afford anything in fairfax
> county, but manassas has soooo much available. we
> just bought a foreclosure 2 weeks ago. its in
> yorkshire, $160K (went for $325K in 2007), almost
> an acre of land. no way in hell we'd get anything
> like this in fairfax or loudoun. and our
> neighbors are wonderful. everyone around us has
> been there at least 20 years and they really care
> about their community and watch out for all of us.
> today there was a little "incident" where someone
> was wandering the neighborhood with a gun
> threatening to kill himself and our neighbor was
> going door to door telling all the neighbors to
> stay inside, he and his wife were gathering the
> random childen who's parents werent home - they
> are all so close knit over here its great. i've
> lived in fairfax county for almost 20 years now,
> and had been in virginia run for about 15 - can
> honestly tell you that no one there is like that.
>
>
> and read an interesting fact reciently - prince
> william county crime rate is down about 20% since
> they started the immigration laws - fairfax and
> loudoun is all up. guess the "scum" are moving
> out of manassas and into the surrounding areas.
> manassas can only move on up :) and from what i
> saw looking at houses, the people looking are all
> in their mid 20-30's, white, newlyweds.
>
> i think we're getting off good with this deal, and
> a lot of people i know are doing the same thing.
>
> anyways, just my two cents.

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: November 06, 2008 06:13PM

Hey manassasis3rdworld, ... errr Nicole

After doing a quick Google search , It seems like you don't even live in PWC .
And that is some bad language and even worse sentence structure for a mother who enjoys breastfeeding and cloth diapers.

The internets are not anonymous.

And 3rd-world-esque come on!! Have you lived in a 3rd world country, or have even been outside of the US?
You cant get typhus or malaria in Manassas park.

Posted by: manassasis3rdworld ()
Date: November 10, 2008 03:44PM

Take a Stand, stop taking shit so personally that you have to try and dig out someone's identity, you psychotic piece of shit. "Nicole" uses my paypal account via MY email, so she has nothing to do with this. Get your fucking facts straight, before you conform to slandering. This fucking forum ALLOWS all kinds of opinions; hence the absence of censorhip. So, if you can't handle criticism, get the fuck out of here and go back into your little hole. What a fucking scum you are!!!!!!!!

Take a Stand Wrote:
> Hey manassasis3rdworld, ... errr Nicole
>
> After doing a quick Google search , It seems like
> you don't even live in PWC .
> And that is some bad language and even worse
> sentence structure for a mother who enjoys
> breastfeeding and cloth diapers.
>
>
> The internets are not anonymous.
>
>
> And 3rd-world-esque come on!! Have you lived in a
> 3rd world country, or have even been outside of
> the US?
> You cant get typhus or malaria in Manassas park.

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: November 16, 2008 07:03PM

"fuckity fuckity fuck fuck fuck....."

swear much?

Yeah, Ill admit that was going a bit too far, and for that I apologize to Nicole. It was just your spot on comparison of 3rd world countries was so profound I couldn't help myself.

I can handle criticism . However you were only making an uninformed blanket statement about something you have no reference.

and I think you meant libel, not slander.

So have you been outside the country?

Posted by: Mark ()
Date: January 27, 2009 09:40AM

there are a lot of great communities being bulit in PWC. it's getting up there!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.