HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Arlington :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Question about Arlington
Posted by: gabydamage ()
Date: January 13, 2008 04:39PM

Okay, just a question for anyone who cares to answer regarding the Arlington area. I'm looking to move to Arlington within the next few months. I've lived in Fairfax for about a year (boooooooooooring). I've tried to get information about the decent areas of Arlington to live. I've read that North ARlington is nicer (but more expensive); yet heard there are nice areas in South Arlington (i.e. Crystal City). I want to live within walking distance to a metro (within 2 blocks). Is it realistic to think I could find a 2 bed/1 bath condo under $200k? That is, a condo in an area that does not resemble the crime ridden parts of SE DC. Hope someone can help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about Arlington
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: January 14, 2008 10:20AM

Short answer: no.

long answer: you could have answered your own question using the real estate section of washingtonpost.com.

Date: January 14, 2008 12:54PM

Yeah, well I've been looking at real estate in the post and elsewhere. If I see something I can afford, however, I'm not too familiar with the particular area, i.e. if it's good or a bad neighborhood. Which is why I asked the question in the first place.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: January 14, 2008 02:15PM

The neighborhoods along the Wilson Blvd corridor from Rosslyn to Ballston are real nice places to live. But they are pricey. I looked at condos in Pentagon City 7 yrs. ago, and while its an excellent location and neighborhood (IMO), the only thing in your price range would have been something small and old. That was long ago, and the area is probably WAY more expensive nowadays. North Arlington is fine. The neighborhoods there (like Williamsburg) are nice, and you can walk to stores, etc. But it does not have a metro station. Shirlington (S. Arlington) is pretty nice too, alot of stuff has been built there over the past decade and the area has really improved. It's also inconvenient to Metro, and closer to some of the sketchier parts of Arlington/Alexandria. The area near Four Mile Run should probably be avoided, most of the housing is older, and it's where the poorer folks live (looks like there would be more crime down that way).

So, you probably won't find much in your price range, unless you buy an older property in an out-of-the-way neighborhood. But Arlington's pretty much safe anywhere you go, as long as you're using your head. I'd look more toward the Wilson corridor; the neighborhoods are nicer, alot of stuff you can walk to, very convenient to Metro... but you'll need to up your budget if you want to live there.

gabydamage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, well I've been looking at real estate in the
> post and elsewhere. If I see something I can
> afford, however, I'm not too familiar with the
> particular area, i.e. if it's good or a bad
> neighborhood. Which is why I asked the question in
> the first place.

Date: January 14, 2008 03:07PM

You've been a great help, Meeper. I'll keep those things in mind when I'm looking for a place....

Date: January 14, 2008 03:44PM

I also forgot to mention the Westover neighborhood, it's along Washington Blvd past East Falls Church. It always seems like a cool little neighborhood when I'm there. The housing looks a bit older, so it may be cheaper. You can also walk to stores and restaurants there, but the Metro would be a real hike.

Good luck finding the right place.

Posted by: Fmr. Arlingtonian ()
Date: January 15, 2008 12:25PM

Meeper,

You say you work in Rosslyn and forget to mention the River Place.

Gabydamage,

I know you can get efficiencies for about $150K and 1 BRs for about $170K. I have never been in them, but I used to work in the towers and parked in the lot next to River Place. The residents seemed professional and the property seems well kept. It is only 1.5 blocks to the Rosslyn Metro. So, if you are flexible on your bedroom requirement, River Place is worth a look.

I used to live near Westover. The houses are over the $200K threshhold. The older multifamily units are rentals. 2 BRs under $200K will put you on Columbia Pike near 4 Mile Run. I, personally, am not a fan of that area.

Date: January 15, 2008 01:26PM

River Place looks pretty nice. It looks a bit older, but the location is great. Some of units on the top floors have huge patios that look awesome. The places at the end of Wilson where it meets Arlington Ridge Rd. look pretty cool too.

Fmr. Arlingtonian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Meeper,
>
> You say you work in Rosslyn and forget to mention
> the River Place.
>
> Gabydamage,
>
> I know you can get efficiencies for about $150K
> and 1 BRs for about $170K. I have never been in
> them, but I used to work in the towers and parked
> in the lot next to River Place. The residents
> seemed professional and the property seems well
> kept. It is only 1.5 blocks to the Rosslyn Metro.
> So, if you are flexible on your bedroom
> requirement, River Place is worth a look.
>
> I used to live near Westover. The houses are over
> the $200K threshhold. The older multifamily units
> are rentals. 2 BRs under $200K will put you on
> Columbia Pike near 4 Mile Run. I, personally, am
> not a fan of that area.

Posted by: Dan The Man ()
Date: January 26, 2008 05:40PM

River Place is a stinky shit hole. I would stay away from there. Arlington is good for the most part. There are no areas of Arlington that are like bad parts of DC. Just stay away from the far south areas and Buckingham. Don't matter where you are in Arlington, be prepared to bend over $$$$$$ wise. Columbia pike near 4 Mile is the one part of town where the few shootings and stabbings have happened. But I know someone who lives over there and has never had a problem.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: February 20, 2008 08:11AM

I did a search on realtor.com for places under $225k (you can always make a lowball offer) and found mostly stuff off of Columbia Pike, nearly all around Four Mile Run Drive.

Remember the Pike has 10-minute bus service, mostly to Pentagon Metro. The areas east of Courthouse are better than the areas around Four Mile Run. Not sure what the ones around the single-syllable streets go for.

There were some 1BR jobs around Ballston and Rosslyn though, those neighborhoods are probably better. Some of the areas around Nauck and Green Valley are comparable to the better parts of Southeast (i.e. you have to actively go looking for trouble instead of it resembling Beirut) but that is about as bad as it gets in Arlington.

2BR jobs rent for about $2400 a month in Crystal City if they are off of the concourses. Not sure what the areas back around 1200-2500 block of Eads go for.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2008 08:19AM by formerhick76.

Posted by: djibuddha ()
Date: February 22, 2008 07:38PM

Prices on condos along western Columbia Pike and Four Mile Run don't seem to have come back down to that range yet, and that is the only place you would have any luck on your specs. I live near the intersection of Columbia Pike and Four Mile Run and I have to agree, it's not that great, but the bus service is frequent during the week, there are trails nearby, and it's reasonably safe during the day. If you can go a bit over $200k, are willing to drive anywhere you need to go any time more than a couple hours after sundown, and don't mind being in an area where you will have to take precautions against crime (don't leave your anything visible in the car, deadbolts on doors, maybe an alarm, and do NOT walk around at 1 am on a Friday night!), it's ok.

Posted by: Capt.Obvious ()
Date: January 20, 2009 09:16PM

1 Get a Map 2 Find Metro stops 3 Drive around areas you want to live in 4 Buy a gun and move wherever you want

Posted by: Leroy ()
Date: July 28, 2009 11:00PM

Just don't smoke anyone that you've invited in, especially if the arrangement was made on Ebay.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.