HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Loudoun :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Snickersville Whore?
Posted by: Frankie ()
Date: March 28, 2011 01:58PM

Anybody ever heard of this supposed "legend" in Loudoun County?

https://sites.google.com/site/whoisthesnickersvillewhore/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snickersville Whore?
Posted by: Then A Skeleton Popped Out ()
Date: March 31, 2011 05:46PM

Man, that is some creepy shit.

Posted by: skulnbonz ()
Date: April 15, 2011 02:46PM

Lots of history along those back roads and the huge estates that accompany them.

Posted by: Ray_Ray ()
Date: April 22, 2011 06:10PM

An Inquiry Into The Loudoun County Legend
Who is the Snickersville whore?
https://sites.google.com/site/whoisthesnickersvillewhore/

For years residents of Loudoun County have spoken about a strange woman, typically only seen at night if at all, who roams the woods in the area between routes 7 and 50 in Virginia. While most residents, when asked, will deny any knowledge of the individual -- many believing her to be a witch or ghost of some kind -- every now and then somebody will speak about her. In so doing, though, things become more confusing as truth gets lost in wild hyperbole.

Recently I spoke with an individual named “Andy,” an elderly gentleman who tends a medium-sized farm near Unison. He stated that he has seen the mysterious figure on multiple occasions.

“Oh yeah,” he said. “The first time I saw her down there, over the hill [he gestured in the direction of a greyish barn at the top of a rise, beyond which were thick woods]. She was kind of squatting down, burying something. I hid behind the tree there and kind of watched a bit. After she left I went to see what it was. It was bones.”

“Bones?” I replied.

“Yeah -- like chicken bones or something. Probably something she ate.”

“Do you know why she was there?”

“No. I’m guessing she just came out of the woods there to get food. My neighbor down the road [here he gestured in the direction of the pitted, gravel road off State Road 630] lost a couple chickens about that time though. I’m sure she took them.”

“Do you know who she is?”

“Nope. Mosby’s daughter?” He laughed.

“Mosby’s daughter” comes from a local legend that states that Lt. Colonel John Mosby fathered an illegitimate child by a local woman, reportedly a prostitute, who lived on a farm somewhere between Bluemont and Philomont (hence the term “Snickersville whore” – Snickersville is the original name of Bluemont). According to the story the woman, destitute and disgraced, raised the child in isolation, teaching her to survive using her wits and her body.

While the mother’s allure was spoken about quite extensively at the time, the daughter, by all accounts, was devastatingly beautiful. People spoke often of her raven-black hair (perhaps from native-American ancestry) and piercing grey eyes. It’s said she rarely spoke or even looked at the men who came to visit, but many who did come fell instantly, insatiably in love with her.

The mother and daughter lived peacefully until the early 1880s, when a fire changed their lives and the area forever.

What happened is unclear, but apparently in the middle of the night a horrific scream awoke the young girl and she opened her bedroom door to find the hallway and entrance to her mother’s room consumed by fire. She fought through the flames and managed to kick down the burning door only to find her mother already dead. At that point one of the roof beams fell in, striking her and knocking her to the ground. The fire then ignited her night-clothes as she lay pinned beneath the beam, severely burning her face on the right side, down her neck and across her torso. Desperately she pulled herself from under the collapsing roof and managed to escape.

It has been speculated that the fire was started by Mosby himself, to erase any evidence of his war-era indiscretions. The claim, of course, is flatly ridiculous since Mosby was famously in Hong Kong at the time. Any evidence, in fact, that Mosby ever even had an illegitimate child in the area is nothing more than rumor or hearsay and runs completely counter to what’s known about the man personally.

It’s more likely that one of Mosby’s men fathered the child, or that she was born of a random traveler along the turnpike, or – God only knows.

Another theory as to the cause of the fire states that a local woman may have come to seek revenge for her husband’s infidelities. Whether the revenge was sought against the mother or the girl depends on who is telling the story, but it is in keeping with one commonly agreed upon element in the tale – that the mother died of blunt-force trauma, not from fire.

Whatever the truth, she supposedly was buried “near” Ebenezer Cemetery, whatever that means. I’ve never succeeded at finding the grave. If anybody can find it, I’d love to know where it is.

After the mother reportedly died, the young girl simply vanished.

Although not really. Reports began to surface over the ensuing years of sightings; that a mysterious woman, with half her face deeply scarred, could be seen wandering the backroads all the way from Bluemont to Atoka, Aldie and Ashburn. None of these reports are particularly credible, but newspaper accounts of the time do report some animal theft that’s attributed to a homeless woman, with some evidence of past trauma, who traveled about the area. [Any rumors that these animals were used for anything other than food are completely unsubstantiated].

In one story, a young couple were parked in a car late at night near a bridge, reportedly just south of route 50 in the area of Goose Creek. According to their account, they saw a thin woman, dressed in black, standing on the bridge looking down into the water. The couple watched silently for a minute, before quietly deciding to leave. When they started the car, though, it aroused the attention of the woman and she turned toward them revealing deep burn scars on one side of her face. They pulled away, but she suddenly screamed and ran at them cursing. Here’s how the boy described what happened next:

“I turned out onto the road when suddenly I became stuck in the mud,” said the boy. “This woman comes over and just starts pounding on my window, yelling ‘you killed my mother, you killed my mother.’ I didn’t know what to do so I gunned the motor, but my tires kept spinning. At this point she starts throwing herself against the window of the car. She must’ve cut herself because each time she hits the glass she leaves a streak of blood and she’s just screaming. Eventually I gunned it one last time and got free.”

Another traveler, this time a man traveling alone, reports seeing the figure along St. Louis Road.

“I was cruising along, just trying to get home, when I saw her walking in the ditch along the other side of the road. I slowed down thinking she might be in trouble, and it was then I saw the scars on her face. I started to roll down the window to ask if she needed help, but she just spit at me. So I drove off.”

An older woman named Evangeline, who lives just off Lime Kiln road, claims she frequently sees the figure walking across her property. “She’s there all the time. It’s usually late at night, I suspect when she thinks that nobody is around to see her. She’ll come out of the woods on the edge of the property and stand by the oak tree to the east. Usually she puts her head down as if she’s praying or maybe as if she’s crying. I don’t know what her business is, but I leave her alone.”

Whether this woman is the same woman from earlier times seems hard to believe, but some in Loudoun believe so. Why she would return, though, seems a real mystery. If, as has been hypothesized, she’s some mystical visitor from the spirit world, she certainly seems to cover a large territory. That’s pretty unusual for an apparition.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.