HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Loudoun :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I need a field to fly my RC plane
Posted by: mikumsmukim ()
Date: June 10, 2007 03:44PM

I'm tired of the politics of local flying groups. If you've got a big field with no power lines, let me know. I'll pay you everytime I come, probably once a week or
so or I can teach you how to fly it.

I live in Fairfax near 66, but don't mind driving to Loudon.

MM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need a field to fly my RC plane
Posted by: chattycat ()
Date: August 08, 2007 03:33PM

Hey, how's about the field on the left when driving down Waxpool Rd. You go down Waxpool (off Rt. 28), turn left when you get to the Ashburn Ice Rink, and the field is right there on your right, across from the old MCI buildings. One stunning tree in the field, but it's off to the side near the road.

Posted by: TG ()
Date: August 09, 2007 01:02PM

We used to fly helicopters and planes at a 40 acre flat grass field across the street from Cox Farms (intersection of Braddock Rd and Pleasant Valley Rd)

It's FFx County Park Authority Land, currently under ZERO use. There's a small gravel parking lot to stage at.

I flew there 4-5 times a week for over a year. Technically, under FCPA law you can't use it, but I had several FC cops stop by to watch and talk about how 'cool' it was. NEVER had a problem using the field. But i was also very courtious. IE - never flew if anyone else was there, stopped if anyone else showed up and NEVER left any trash.

Posted by: mikumsmukim ()
Date: August 13, 2007 05:11PM

thanks for the responses. i also posted in the general forum and got some good responses if you need a place to fly.

i've been flying at the pleasant valley field. there is a house at the far end of the field from the parking area, but it's easy to stay away from. i haven't had any cops stop yet, i'm trying to be courteous as well.

they don't mow the grass often enough at pleasant valley. i've put larger wheels on the plane but still have a hard time getting up to rotation speed without a major headwind. my prop was cuttting grass, so i tried smaller wheels in the back and the big one up front. it seemed to work. there is one partially bare spot way out in the field that i can take off consistently from. granted i have a 2 stroke .46 engine. i wonder if there is a way to get the mowing schedule.

i've also gone to kincheloe park in clifton. it's a large soccer complex. there are lots of fields right next to eachother, but they are separated by chains. this means you only have only field length to land on. there are tall trees on the edges of the field, thus a steeper, faster and more difficult landing. i think next time i'll use the back field. it has a smaller practice soccer field with a very large unmowed field. it has tall trees on either side, but it's wide enough to turn around in.

i'll check out the place off waxpool, thanks.

Posted by: Skawt ()
Date: July 16, 2008 10:09AM

If your flying electric there is a few places around sterling you could go. I fly my electric in Riverbend Park near the river. As far as flying glow most parks will chase you out due to the noise.

NVRC opened a new field in Ticonderoga Tree Farm.

FFX County is now handing out fines for fuel RC Flying in public parks.

Posted by: Bill Farrell ()
Date: April 18, 2011 01:22PM

You go down Waxpool (off Rt. 28), turn left when you get to the Ashburn Ice Rink, and the field is right there on your right, across from the old Verizon buildings.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.