HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Burke :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Protesters in Burke?
Posted by: Chris987 ()
Date: August 25, 2013 11:23AM

Does anyone know what was up with what looked like protesters in Burke yesterday? There was a mother, father and young kid outside of Starbucks/GameStop with a sign talking to 2 police officers, then another outside Target. Both were holding carboard signs, but I couldn't read them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Protesters in Burke?
Posted by: maybe ()
Date: August 26, 2013 12:57AM

Were they Hispanic? They sound like the family of panhandlers I saw late this Sunday afternoon in front of the Wal-Mart Shell. They had poster board signs saying they lost their jobs and needed help.

Posted by: In the 015 ()
Date: August 31, 2013 05:00PM

Burke seems to have started attracting bums and panhandlers. It needs to stop

Posted by: Burkester ()
Date: September 01, 2013 05:01PM

Yeah, I've noticed an uptick in the number of people panhandling here in Burke. I've seen the Indian/Middle Eastern family standing on the grass right outside of Wendy's, with the husband holding a sign and the wife and two kids just standing there in the grass. Last weekend I was a middle-aged woman standing on the Burke Commons island at the intersection of Burke Commons and BCP. I've lived in this area for 27 years now and have never seen this before. Did a new halfway house open up somewhere here in the area?

Posted by: down the chute ()
Date: September 02, 2013 12:30AM

There is more and more section 8 down Burke Commons Road.

Posted by: Pkwy man ()
Date: September 03, 2013 04:49PM

sad but true, the shoulder of the road is filled with junk cars, trash and trailers.

Posted by: José Gutierrez ()
Date: August 20, 2016 12:52PM

Quick misconception about section 8. section 8 housing is a government program to bail out Landlords who have property's that are too run down to be rented out at "free market" rates. its a bail out to the landlord as much as the tenets and in fact it makes rent more expensive for everyone.

also the condos on Burk commons road are all co-op every one living there is in fact a home owner. its probably the only housing any Family with more then one working adult can afford working a low skill job with out leaving Burk or living in a old lady's basement.

With out that and rent controlled housing witch is in most developments in Burk Junction you wouldnt have any one to work at any of these shopping centers or malls
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/rha/01-2013-lowmoderateguide.pdf

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.