HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Springfield :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Springfield Mall
Posted by: invisibleman ()
Date: December 16, 2005 10:14PM

Anybody else feel like they're taking their life in their hands when they go over to Springfield Mall? I work 5 minutes away and have been going over there at lunchtime to do a little Christmas shopping. Seems like there have been a lot of violent things going on at this mall lately (stabbings, fights, etc.). I find myself looking over my shoulder and trying to avoid walking too close to anybody, especially in the parking lots. . . I also try to get in and out as quickly as possible.

How long has it been like this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Springfield Mall
Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: December 17, 2005 09:58PM

I've only been there a couple of times, but I didn't feel scared. If those pussy ass gangstas want to stab each other, please let 'em have at it. If they do it at a mall, better chance they'll get caught.

Posted by: Bballr ()
Date: January 15, 2006 08:27PM

Yeah, it just a bunch of little punks. The weirdest thing was when some scrubby looking skater kid wanted me to go buy him some drugs. Anyways they aren't random shoppers getting mugged or anything just some fake ass gangsters.

Posted by: rebel yell ()
Date: March 09, 2006 09:26PM

I pretty much only go there to play DDR at the arcade.

But sometimes when I ask freinds to go with me, the parentals don't let'um, because of all the stupid violence. It's a real crappy mall anyway, they like have frickin tarps to catch the water that leaks from the pipes, and there's not much to do.

Posted by: Yo Momma ()
Date: March 13, 2006 07:28PM

Springfield Mall became Ghetto as hell once the metro moved in. You could probably put it on a time lapse camera and watch as it deteriorates as soon as the metro moved in.

If Tyson's knows what's good for it, it won't continue the metro to Tysons. (Otherwise say Hello to drugs/wiggas/fake-ass-gangstas at Tysons too)

Posted by: Dork ()
Date: June 13, 2006 06:15AM

Yo Momma Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If Tyson's knows what's good for it, it won't
> continue the metro to Tysons. (Otherwise say Hello
> to drugs/wiggas/fake-ass-gangstas at Tysons too)

I disagree.

Posted by: Dork ()
Date: July 08, 2006 05:04AM

Posted by: YO OMMMMMAAA ()
Date: July 24, 2006 02:21AM

youare right..springfield has got down in the past couple years. its full of stupied spics now. it use to be nice 10 years ago. spics go home

Posted by: flyover ()
Date: November 16, 2006 01:57AM

Do you really think hardcore ghetto thugs are riding the Blue Line for 45 minutes to walk a mile across the parkway to cause trouble at Springfield Mall? That's absurd suburban hysteria. If your logic had any merit, Pentagon City would be the ghetto-ist part of Northern Virginia.

I've been living here a lot longer than Metro has been in Springfield. And the problems in Springfield have everything to do with the Interchange. Never-ending large-scale construction projects plus poorly-designed commercial strips plus unbearable traffic equals a reduced quality of life. No room for new development, because the whole area is a big parking lot, and Metro is tucked away behind a commuter garage. No incentive for redevelopment, because the surrounding neighborhoods have become less desirable and thus more accessible to low-income populations. Welcome to the urban cycle.

Which is why you have seen a rising immigrant population in Springfield. The same is generally true of Bailey's Crossroads and Seven Corners and Landmark: poor planning, heavy traffic, low quality of life. No one who can afford to live elsewhere would want to live on Leesburg Pike or Duke Street (west of Quaker Lane.)

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: November 16, 2006 09:30PM

You are so full of shit. Drive down Frontier Drive and tell me you don't see ghetto thugs walking to and from the mall. The fact that the tenants of Springfield Mall went lowbrow and cater to them is why Pentagon City has not experienced the same problems. I'm not saying Springfield hasn't gone downhill in the past decade, but the metro is not an innocent bystander.

Posted by: FREEURMIND ()
Date: November 29, 2006 11:13AM

A new name for the Mall:
THUGFIELD MALL.

Just a couple of weeks ago, some "professional thieves" ripped off a jewelry store (the news article did not mention which store it was) at THUGFIELD MALL.

There have been random shootings, abductions .. leading to rape and other violence at THUGFIELD MALL in the past few years.

I guess we can't expect everything to be nice, when people are moving into the DC area at an unprecedented rate.

More people = more criminals (merely by the average percentile of people who are criminals) = more crime.

The metrorail IS a factor as is Illegal Immigration.

Posted by: American American ()
Date: May 06, 2007 07:49AM

Yep, just last night there was another illegal alien shoot out ... They really need to just start rounding them up and shipping them all back..The invaders are killing us.

Posted by: king turd of the punch bowl ()
Date: May 07, 2007 01:33AM

You are taking your life into your own hands. Blame the previous and current owners. Lowlifes will congregate there as long as its tolerated. the stores cater to them and management is trying to close the barn door after the horse already ran away. The whole area is going to go down the tubes even farther. Oh and thank the metro, the mixing bowl and unchecked illegal immigration

Posted by: April ()
Date: May 15, 2007 08:24PM

Eh.. I've never had a problem with Springfield Mall. Maybe just that the stores could be less shitty and small but I've never gotten stabbed. o_o

Posted by: cracker ass white kid ()
Date: May 17, 2007 08:57AM

Are you guys seriously that racist??? Illegal immigrants are NOT the reason Springfield Mall and the city in general went to shit... I mean come on... Do you really think illegal immigrants are just hanging out at malls all day stabbing and shooting people? NO they are standing on street corners or in front of Home Depots and 7-Elevens looking for jobs that nobody else wants to do so they can make a little bit of money. There are plenty of reasons Springfield Mall is soooo fucked up lately but illegals aren't one of one so to all you racists assholes out there: get your heads out of your asses and wake the fuck up.

Posted by: FairF4x0r ()
Date: May 24, 2007 02:38PM

You are right it is mostly Metro access to DC and MD, and not illegals.

Posted by: american ()
Date: May 25, 2007 11:17PM

No it is the illegal aliens...read to POLICE REPORTS

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/reports/

B/S

IT IS THE ILLEGALS

FACT

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/reports/

see for your self

On Thursday, May 24 just after midnight, an 18-year-old man was assaulted near Springfield Mall. The Springfield-area man was walking by the Men’s Warehouse at 6500 Springfield Mall when a group of men approached and demanded his wallet. They pushed him to the ground and stabbed him in the hand while yelling a gang name. The victim was able to run away. He was treated at Inova Springfield Healthplex.

The three suspects were described as Hispanic men, 23 to 25 years of age. They were between 5 feet 5 inches and 6 feet tall. They all wore blue shirts and blue bandanas.

screaming gang names

duh

ILLEGAL ALIENS
Posted by: AMERICAN ()
Date: May 25, 2007 11:25PM

want more fairfax police reports?

IT IS THE ILLEGALS

YOU DUMB SHIT HALF WITTED CRACK HEAD

Posted by: Ca$hMoNeEy ()
Date: July 18, 2007 07:44PM

all i have to saw is ive been jumped and almost stabbed in the food court

Posted by: thatonedude ()
Date: September 08, 2007 02:53PM

does anyone else remember WaveDancer?!!!! that old skate shop that used to be in the mall??? if you do, what was the name of that place before they changed it to wavedancer??? or maybe they changed the name from wavedancer to something else......???????

Posted by: CaneCorsoLover ()
Date: September 30, 2007 10:41PM

Only thugs would want to buy any of the crap that they sell in that mall. How many Spencers, cheap cloting stores and nail salons do you need?

Posted by: Kitn ()
Date: February 08, 2008 04:54PM

That mall was the place to be on Sat nights when I was in junior high...lemme see that was about 1988. I still remember the store called "Hong Kong". Awesome.
Now, it's just sad....trash cans strategically placed to catch the rain falling into the mall from the roof.
NO ONE speaks English, I'm not being racist, I'm being factual. Don't jump on me, I'll wreck you.
It's just dirty, it's indepnendantly owned, and the owner doesn't give a rat's ass. If an actual leasing company would BUY the mall, I bet it would be fixed up. But I do agree with the one comment above that the metro was the beginning of the end.
Just go to Fair Oaks.

Posted by: ffxsta ()
Date: February 12, 2008 11:55PM

Tear it down. Put the South County Middle School there instead.

Posted by: unknown female ()
Date: March 28, 2008 04:13PM

you just proved to everyone that, in fact, your head is stuck very far up your ass. nowhere in that poilce report does it say that any one of the hispanic men was an illegal alien. you just assume that every hispanic person is an illegal alien. in fact: less than 10% of the hispanics in this area are illegal. and most of them are sitting at home trying not to be discovered while they wait for their paperwork to clear.
most of the gang members in this area are knock off- wanna bes of the MS-13 gang that is in LA and El Salvador. and they are mostly young american kids who happen to have hispanic roots who think it's cool to be part of a gang. too much violent tv, music and video games spawned and churned by AMERICAN society.

arg. stupidity and ignorance will kill our country long before the "illegal aliens" outnumber us.

Posted by: BarnBurning ()
Date: May 15, 2008 02:11PM

Now back to the original question.

The Mall is very unsafe, mostly at night.

If they ever begin and complete the proposed make-over, it will again be a safe place to shop.

I've lived here since the early 60's, and the day the Mall opened it was heading downhill.

Now that Metro is practically next door to the Mall, all the undesirable shoppers (actually all they do is look around without buying anything significant) are visiting.

The exact same thing will happen to Tyson's Corner when/if they complete the Metro connector. Just look at Pentagon City. Nothing but people from outside the Arlington area hanging around and taking-up space. The merchants at Pentagon City detest the "importation" of outsiders by Metro.

Posted by: D-Loc ()
Date: May 23, 2008 05:01PM

Y'all need to be men.

I've grown up on Springfield Mall, I've seen it's fall from the top. That place used to be the SPOT for everyone to go to, the roads had NO pot holes(now there's millions) and it was clean, smelled good, great place.

Then it slowly just kept getting worse, I blame the workers at the mall who clean and watch. I think Police suck at watching Springfield Mall. It's been about 5+ years since I've seen a cop at Springfield Mall(driving or walking)

But the sad thing is it's going to be taken down, rebuilt or whatever, they have no AMC theater and all the places suck, no reason to go.

The gangs are active, just don't be by yourself or a retard, watch your back. It's not that dangerous.

In my opinion, it could be a lot worse

Posted by: Kobersteen ()
Date: June 01, 2008 06:48AM

D-Loc Wrote:
> ... I
> think Police suck at watching Springfield Mall.
> It's been about 5+ years since I've seen a cop at
> Springfield Mall(driving or walking)

That is because the county cops that work the mall are in plain clothes. Trust me, they are there all the time.

Posted by: Jimnva ()
Date: June 18, 2008 01:12PM

Springfield Mall 2008 looks like Tijuana! It's a real shame what a bunch of illigal Mexicans can do to an area.. Springfield Mall in the 80's was a fun place to shop and safe for teens to spend the weekends meeting friends and hanging out at Time Out, ect.. Most of NOVA is now like the united nations.. Sad...

Posted by: gross ()
Date: June 22, 2008 12:15AM

Paper Moon across the street doesn't exactly improve the area

Posted by: SRE ()
Date: June 24, 2008 12:50PM

gross Wrote:
> Paper Moon across the street doesn't exactly
> improve the area

I don't know about that... Paper Moon improves all of greater springfield. It is a shame that we can not get real adult clubs in Va.

Posted by: Yelsel ()
Date: July 02, 2008 05:30PM

Does anyone know what the actual plans are for the mall? One end of the building is practically empty. Store employees have no idea of the future plans. A few months ago, there was a plan on the wall upstairs detailing a fantastic looking future mall to open in 2010, but now it has disappeared like half the stores!!

Posted by: Long Time Resident ()
Date: July 08, 2008 10:59AM

An firm from Boston has been hired to do the architectural plans for an upscale mixed of condo/restaurant/retail in an open air complex. The plans were posted but were stolen by some of the upscale people who inhabit the mall.

Bring back Garfinkel's and Raleigh's!!

Posted by: Staying Safe ()
Date: September 19, 2008 06:14PM

Springfield Mall would best serve the community if it closed up shop. If their interest is the safety of it's patrons, they would do just that. After last Saturday's murder of that 60 year old women, I'll never go back. That woman could have been anyone of us. The last time I was there I parked outside of Target and there were gangs of people congregated by their cars in that lot. No security around. I feel extremely unsafe there and I'll spend the extra in gas to go to Fairoaks or Tysons. No one should have to risk their life to shop.

Posted by: Jimnva ()
Date: October 08, 2008 10:01PM

Just thank the Mexicans for what Springfield mall has become. It looks like Tijuana now... It's a real shame.... FFX CO is now the united nations... Sux..

Posted by: kevin ()
Date: October 23, 2008 02:02PM

Jimnva Wrote:
> Just thank the Mexicans for what Springfield mall
> has become. It looks like Tijuana now... It's a
> real shame.... FFX CO is now the united nations...
> Sux..

mexicans???? you gotta be kidding me.

did you know that salvadorians and hondurans are the majority in this area???

why do you have to be racist and bash the mexicans???

Posted by: mikejones ()
Date: November 01, 2008 05:01PM

you have to be a real pussy to be afraid of a mall in fairfax county yall sound like a bunch of little bitches

Posted by: KEVIN ()
Date: November 20, 2008 10:55PM

mikejones Wrote:
> you have to be a real pussy to be afraid of a mall
> in fairfax county yall sound like a bunch of
> little bitches

EXACTLY!!!

Posted by: dlmy ()
Date: December 05, 2008 09:28AM

mikejones Wrote:
> you have to be a real pussy to be afraid of a mall
> in fairfax county yall sound like a bunch of
> little bitches

EXACTLY!!!

Sorry tough guys, but I don't like going to a mall full of a bunch of puerto ricans, hondurans, mexicans, or any other type of illegal hispanics that have ruined a perfectly good place.
They have ZERO money to spend, and have no business being there. I don't like going to shop in a mall and feel like I may have to fight someone because I looked at them wrong. Compare FairOaks and Tyson's to Springfield. It is a pretty obvious difference.
If I was as tough as Kevin and MikeJones I guess I wouldn't care...losers.
That place used to be great when I was in high school in the early 90's. They actually had restaurants (Bennigans was a huge date place) movie theatres, upper end stores and Target wasn't there. Springfield mall has turned into a shithole since the mid to late 90's and stores are closing all over that place. There is low income and government housing all around that area, which caters to immigrants and illegals. That is what has wrecked this mall. It's not a racist view, it is the truth. As pointed out in previous messages, read the police reports...
I can't wait for that place to be torn down and redeveloped. Hopefully that will draw legitamate consumers back to that area and disperse the trash.
It truly is a shame that the ownership didn't do something to deter the loitering that goes on there. Maybe a credit check or citizenship check at the door would help...

Posted by: jhey ()
Date: December 08, 2008 09:33AM

dlmy Wrote:
> Sorry tough guys, but I don't like going to a mall
> full of a bunch of puerto ricans, hondurans,
> mexicans, or any other type of illegal hispanics

fail.

Posted by: GJ ()
Date: December 29, 2008 04:52PM

Is there a new and "current" redevelopment plan for Springfield Mall? With the economy being what it is, it would appear that many (if not most) of the remaining stores will go out of business anyway during 2009.

Posted by: Inside Info ()
Date: February 08, 2009 06:23PM

Currently the plans for the mall are a mixed use redevelopment of the mall site (shopping center, apartments, etc., much like Pentagon Row). The developer is Vornado, who are based in NY/NJ, but they have a local division in Crystal City. The demo permit has been applied for. I'm unsure if the permit has been granted as there is still a lot of stuff to do with the building.

Problem is - the economy blows, so a lot of these projects are getting put on the back burner. I know of 3 in Rosslyn alone that were ready to go before Christmas and now are in limbo.

Posted by: exc ()
Date: March 07, 2009 01:59PM

Are you kidding me? This mall is amazing. Just go and stop worrying about shit.

Posted by: grone ()
Date: March 07, 2009 02:03PM

exc Wrote:
> Are you kidding me? This mall is amazing. Just go
> and stop worrying about shit.

Exactly!!!

Posted by: Flyboi276 ()
Date: May 30, 2009 08:10PM

There are no thugs in Springfield, its just some kids that are trying too hard to be hard. Thugs won't come all the way to Springfield mall to shop. Btw, all of your think Tysons is so white and clean cause no dirty niggers have come to mess it up. Well, look around, Oxen Hill comes down there to shop all the time and nothin has happened. Just come some kids from a bad neighborhood come to shop and they don't look how you think they should doesn't mean thier undesirable.

Posted by: PInoLarocca ()
Date: June 09, 2009 11:57PM

I cant imagine anyone being afraid to go anywhere in Fairfax county. You must be a coward if your afraid of Springfield Mall. I hear all this pablum about Springfield is rough, Lee High is rough yada yada yada and its just the racist whining of a pack of cowardly bigots. Lee High isnt rough. Try going to HS in Brooklyn Chicago Cleveland or St. Louis. Some of you shit4brain suburban cowards need to grow up.

Posted by: George ()
Date: June 18, 2009 09:36PM

I grew up in Alexandria and went to Springfield Mall in the late 1970s / early 1980s. It was always seedy, lowbrow and seemed dangerous. It wasn't hispanics, or blacks, it was white and rednecky. Groups generally seem dangerous to people who aren't in them, and as an upper middle class white suburbanite who lived in Alexandria, the rednecks there were very intimidating to me. Don't lay it on the immigrants or african americans - springfield mall was always a dump.

Posted by: george ()
Date: June 18, 2009 09:40PM

I don't remember there every being a single "high end" store at Springfield Mall. Not one. You'd need to have a radically expanded definition of high end to count anyplace that ever did business there as high end. Not trying to be a snob here, but I get so furious at the hatred of immigrants from people like DLMY.

Posted by: Frederick ()
Date: June 22, 2009 01:09PM

george Wrote:
> I don't remember there every being a single "high
> end" store at Springfield Mall. Not one. You'd
> need to have a radically expanded definition of
> high end to count anyplace that ever did business
> there as high end. Not trying to be a snob here,
> but I get so furious at the hatred of immigrants
> from people like DLMY.

George, how could you forget Garfinkels?!?! Plus, if memory serves correctly, Charles and Di paid a visist to the mall in the 80s. I would call them some high end customers. You are not a snob, just stupid.

Posted by: KEVIN ()
Date: June 22, 2009 08:43PM

THE ONLY BAD AREAS OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA ARE: CULMORE, SEVEN CONERS, SOUTH ARLINGTON, AND RT.1. SPRINGFIELD DOESN'T HAVE ANY BAD AREA. MAYBE COMMERCE ST. WAS ONE BACK IN THE 90'S AND EARLY 2000'S, BUT NOT ANYMORE.

Posted by: DH ()
Date: July 14, 2009 12:33AM

When I worked there in high school in the late Eighties -- at Vittorio's, the pizza place with the bar down in the food court -- Springfield Mall really did seem like the place to hang out on a Saturday night.

Now, you've got MS-13 guys killing a guy in the parking lot by Target, that 60-year old woman who was abducted and later died when her kidnappers crashed the vehicle, the kid stabbed or cut up in the food court, and the guy walking to his car from the Metro who was beaten up and robbed in one of the parking decks. Just to name the high-profile problems.

What really gets me is the track record of the place, the obviously ineffectual rent-a-cops (just look at them), the negligible police presence (how many cop cars do you ever see parked by Macy's in the designated spots?), and mall management that insists customers be defenseless by banning even licensed concealed-carry permit holders from carrying there. Vornado would rather see more injuries, more murders, more kidnappings than have someone authorized to carry by the State Police and County court be able to defend himself or herself.

Posted by: Peedy ()
Date: September 22, 2009 10:49PM

About 3 weeks ago I saw a transvestite walking under the bridge next the the new hotel...dressed like a prostitute.....disgusting.

Posted by: ttrgtrg ()
Date: November 10, 2009 10:54PM

some of the people on here are absolute retards, the people there causing problems arent just some wannabees, they're legitimate ms-13 gang members along with other hispanic gangs. gangs are gangs, crime is crime, and murder is murder, it doesnt matter if it happens in northern virginia or new orleans. and another thing, some people on here are saying dumb shit about springfield, such as how theres no way springfield mall could be dangerous because it's suburban, do you retards know the definition of suburban. let me ask you this, would you rather live in compton wich is suburban, or georgetown wich is urban. crime is crime, and the poverty that these immigrants that comprise these gangs is real, no matter how you slice it. I lived in dc for 6 years when it was rated the most dangerous city in the country, and i never remember hearing of any attack as greusome as the one that took place in 2004 when that annandale high school student cut of an opposing gang members fingers with a machette. the point is that there are some problems, and though it may not be all that bad, it couldnt hurt to make some improvements.

Posted by: MAG ()
Date: December 24, 2009 12:19AM

I'm addicted to the chicken-fried steak at the Silver Diner in the Mall's parking lot. A big ole hunk of chicken-fried steak, with 3 eggs and fried potatoes all covered in creamy gravy makes me feel like I'm in Heaven. The only problem is that I'm getting real fat and the grease is clogging my arteries; So, I'll most likely be in the real Heaven pretty soon.... or Hell, if I don't start going to Confession and Sunday Mass... Oy Vey

Posted by: Longtyme ()
Date: October 07, 2010 06:08PM

Springfield Mall - heck I remember that place when it was brand new, as a little kid. I can even remember the jingle they used on the radio to advertise it.

"Springfield Mall is something else. (something else)
Not just like another mall, but really something else. (something else)"

A classic, no? :P

That was back around 71 or 72. It was the quintessential suburban mall taken right out of "That 70s Show" and really was THE place to hang out as a teen. (I was up from Woodbridge) Orange Julius, Time Out Tunnel, The Gap. Waxie Maxie's, JC Pennys and Sears as anchors. About the only longtime survivor seems to be Spencer's Gifts where we used to look at the Day-Glo posters in the back, check out the selection of lubricants and joke rubber dog-poo. A middle class shopper's dream. TWO theaters! Oh, and no damned garages. Just sun-baked parking lots guaranteed to raise the interior of your car to 140 degrees.

The whole place was pretty nice. Much better than the places we had in Woodbridge and no quite the schlep to get up to Landmark (which was all out doors then) or Shirlington.

It sat out in the middle of nowhere on Loisdale Rd, Pioneer was literally a gravel road that no one knew about. Two satellite store areas. Circuit City and the little strip where Ritz Camera and some pizza place was. The heads used to go out in the woods to get stoned over where the hardware store and Old Navy are.

Last time I went to shop there for some pants at JCP, all the damn inseams in the merch they had available was for 26 or less - I'm a LOT taller than the standard customer there now.

And yeah, like someone above said, Lady Di did come by to visit. Traffic and parking was **seriously** screwed up for miles around the area.

A shame to see it go downhill like it has. The surrounding stores are in better shape than the mall that drew them in. The whole area is pretty sketchy now. That ugly overpass they threw in doesn't do much for the view. And I'm sure now that the DMV is closed down that there's almost no reason to go at all. 40 years later and I would never allow my kids loose in there the way my mom did, that's for damned sure.

Posted by: dont worry about it ()
Date: October 08, 2010 11:44PM

jesus fucking christ i want to puke reading this springfield mall is not that bad im white 17 year old who goes to west springfield its not bad at all all of you are just scared of hispanics you little pricks springfield is not a bad town its just a little older the whole eastern county is a little older than the rest of the county. springfield is not bad all of you need to fuck off and stop being so racist

Posted by: bmkay ()
Date: October 11, 2010 11:58AM

@Longtyme... do you have any pictures of the mall when it first opened? It'd be interesting to see how the area has changed with time.

@don't worry about it
No need to state your age; we can all see how old you are based upon your need to attack strangers on the internet and your unnecessary use of profanity.

Posted by: Longtyme ()
Date: October 22, 2010 05:46PM

@bmkay

No, I don't. Back then I was 12 years old. No cell phone cameras; heck, no cell phones! We didn't even have the bucks to buy one of those little pocket cameras that James Garner used to hawk on TV.

It looks pretty much then the way it does now. Just imagine it with no parking garages and woods all around. Even the inside is pretty much unchanged, architecturally speaking. Except there used to be a big water fountain outside of JC Penney's.

Posted by: RUFUSS ()
Date: November 22, 2010 03:15PM

exc Wrote:
> Are you kidding me? This mall is amazing. Just go
> and stop worrying about shit.

Naw it sucks just go to Fair Oaks

Posted by: mama duck ()
Date: December 12, 2010 09:59AM

I was told the area across the street from the mall, Springfield Estates, will be turned into high-density housing. Does anyone know anything about this?

Posted by: old wives tale ()
Date: December 12, 2010 12:07PM

That came up 5 years ago, back at the top of the housing boom, ain't gonna happen. Doubt they could come up with the money anyway.

Posted by: hifolks ()
Date: December 12, 2010 07:29PM

I only really go there to get my hair cut, maybe go to Target, and I've never felt unsafe there. Do wish it was more active, and possibly less dangerous if it really is THAT bad to some.

Posted by: BrandonVA ()
Date: December 13, 2010 02:09AM

High density housing in that area = future slum

Maybe they'll open up another Taco Bell for the "new Americans"

Posted by: Jimnva1 ()
Date: August 17, 2011 04:24PM

Sorry, I should say "South Americans" my bad!

Posted by: Apu ()
Date: September 03, 2011 12:33AM

I've been to Springfield Mall twice in the past week and I've come out alive,
though I always park in a high-traffic area while packing a chain in case I need a makeshift knuckle-duster.

Also, I don't really see why people are saying it's illegals; most of the illegals just hang out by the 7-11 and wait for jobs n'shit -if anything it's street gangs and stupid ghetto kids

Posted by: Alexandria Resident ()
Date: November 06, 2011 03:22PM

I've just got to say, this thread is one of the most racist things I've read in along time.

I've enjoyed the laugh, but really I think it's the racists in this country that are causing more issues then the illegals.

Rather then complaining about someone whose stealing a job that you wouldn't touch with a football length pole, maybe you should learn to be more tolerant.

Posted by: Alpha Male ()
Date: November 19, 2011 09:21PM

Alexandria Resident Wrote:
> I've just got to say, this thread is one of the
> most racist things I've read in along time.
>
> I've enjoyed the laugh, but really I think it's
> the racists in this country that are causing more
> issues then the illegals.
>
> Rather then complaining about someone whose
> stealing a job that you wouldn't touch with a
> football length pole, maybe you should learn to be
> more tolerant.

Maybe if you like illegal aliens so much, you should move to the Franconia area. Find a job in that area too. See how you like listening to loud Spanish music bumping from cars, having to lock down your home so it isn't broken into, hoping your car isn't stolen, and not being able to go out after dark.

I don't think most people have an issue with illegals taking the shitty jobs Americans won't. The issue is most of them behave like the Third World animals they are. Drinking in public, draining public resources, and just doing everything they can to NOT integrate into mainstream American society.

Posted by: Burka-Burka ()
Date: November 21, 2011 01:33PM

Fuck that, it's not about illegal aliens as much as it being just dumb assed people in general whether you entered this country legally or illegally. You got a group of illiterate pieces of shit that don't give a fuck about America that have citizenship and those who enter into this country illegally and try to make a good life for themselves. The government should be allowed to take away citizenship from dumb-asses that don't pay taxes, inbread frequently that down-class neighborhoods and give them to hard working illegals and force them to begin paying taxes. It's a win-win!.

Posted by: Libertarian ()
Date: December 21, 2011 12:28AM

Burka-Burka Wrote:
> Fuck that, it's not about illegal aliens as much
> as it being just dumb assed people in general
> whether you entered this country legally or
> illegally. You got a group of illiterate pieces
> of shit that don't give a fuck about America that
> have citizenship and those who enter into this
> country illegally and try to make a good life for
> themselves. The government should be allowed to
> take away citizenship from dumb-asses that don't
> pay taxes, inbread frequently that down-class
> neighborhoods and give them to hard working
> illegals and force them to begin paying taxes.
> It's a win-win!.

exactly! just because someone comes here legally doesn't mean they love America. I know some illegals who love America more than some legal immigrants.

Posted by: LongTimeLocal ()
Date: January 15, 2012 03:18PM

I grew up in the area. That neighborhood has never been all that great. The mall was a huge improvement to the area when it first opened. (Although long-time local residents might argue that it adversely impacted their lives with an influx of traffic and other related changes.) It was the best mall anywhere around and remained so for many years. Like many malls, it eventually priced itself out of business. When the mall rents went up surrounding strip malls were built to take advantage of the location and established trade without paying the outrageous rents. In the meantime the mall had some unfortunate events that tarnished its image. Most recently the economic situation has impacted all retail establishments and Springfield mall is no exception. It's never been able to overcome the various hits it has taken over the past two decades.

I still go there from time to time and don't feel particularly unsafe there. I did nearly all my Xmas shopping there this year and it was great! I could park anywhere I wanted - right at the door of any entrance any time. There were always people around, but there were no crowds at all. I could zip in, get what I wanted, and get out quickly and easily. The variety isn't what it used to be - seems like it's mostly shoe stores and jewelry stores now. But, there is enough variety that I could get something for everyone there. And, compared to the Tysons zoo or even the Fair Oaks / Fair Lakes traffic / parking nightmare, it was pure heaven.

As far as the racism discussion - Springfield Mall is certainly not the middle-America white-bread mall it used to be when I was a kid. Now, call me whatever you like, but the fact is I feel less safe when surrounded by people who seem to hate me. Don't you? I'm a conservative white guy who was probably outnumbered by minorities when I was at the mall this year. But, I never felt particularly hated by anyone at the mall. No one was mean, or nasty, or hateful, or threatening to me in any way.

I understand that crimes occur at SM. And perhaps I should've felt more threatened. But, as I recall, crimes occurred there when I was a kid, too. I bet a look at the historical SM crime statistics would indicate that young males with immature value systems have always been the main culprits. Their racial profile may have changed over the years as the racial makeup of the area has changed. But, I suspect that age and gender have more to do with the demographics of crime than race.

Posted by: luxx ()
Date: February 12, 2012 08:23PM

Posted by: there goe's the nieghborhood ()
Date: March 06, 2012 11:23AM

LIke always, the niggers fucked it up for everyone else.

D.C. used to be all white until the turds rolled in during the 60's.

But now a bunch of open minded progressive liberal white folks have moved in and suddenly the blacks are leaving.

Posted by: Bobby Boy ()
Date: February 08, 2013 02:26PM

Now we are undergoing the renovation. I, for one, never fully ascribed to changing demographics as the culprit - it was not a great place to shop. The shoppers were simply outnumbered by those who came there for the wrong reasons.

I am hopeful this renovation will provide a central location to something exciting in Springfield. Sure there will be too many chain stores, but if it is truly well designed, it could make a mark in our community.

Posted by: 80's Rule ()
Date: March 12, 2013 12:55PM

Back in the 80's, Springfield mall ruled. It was a great place to hang out.

Then the Metro went in and the parking garages and all the scum from DC would come to Springfield and car jack and rape.

They need to get rid of the Metro.
Attachments:
Springfield-Mall-05.jpg

Posted by: dontgetit ()
Date: April 24, 2013 11:33PM

Everyone is always saying they're scared of Springfield Mall. I have no idea what they're talking about. I could sleep out by number 2 without a care in the world. Why are people scared of spics? Spics are little pussy cats. Lived in Springfield my whole life and I just don't get what everyone is talking about. You're little pussy cats aren't you spics? Yes, you are, yes you are. Adorable little pussy cats.

Posted by: Lifetime resident ()
Date: May 22, 2013 01:21PM

I've lived in this town my entire life. I remember my mom telling me that just a few years before i was born, in 1984, Springfield was predominately white, with a sprinkling of a few blacks and latinos here and there. Since then, this area has been crawling with nothing but illegals, and it sucks. I have absolutely nothing against people coming in to this country, as long as they do it the right way. I understand that most of these people are hard working, good people who are just trying to make a living to support their families. But I don't want my tax money paying for hospitalization and education for people who shouldn't be here in the first place. On top of that, all these immigrants have been adding on to their houses without building permits, making their houses bigger and uglier, bringing down the property value of other peoples' homes. Then they stuff 30 people in the house, most of them illegal. This is a big problem in the Crestwood/Lynbrook neighborhoods. Also, I used to live in the apartments on Commerce St for a few years when I was little. I remember seeing a lot of people walking around that didn't speak English. Now, almost 20 years later, I see some of these people around town. They still don't speak English! My mom is from Puerto Rico, and when she came here with her family, when she was about 8 or 9, she and her siblings didn't speak any English. They got stuck in school with a bunch of white kids and had to learn English on their own. There was no ESL, no "press 1 for Spanish" option when you called anybody, and thats the way it should be. Spanish people come into my work all the time, and ask, "speakeh spaneesh?", and I tell them "nope, sorry", and walk away. I don't have time to stand there and figure out what they want. Some of them actually get mad that I don't speak Spanish! Yeah, I'm half Puerto Rican, but I don't speak Spanish and I don't want to. Why should I have to inconvenience myself by learning another language to accommodate people who probably shouldn't even be here?

Posted by: Badger ()
Date: June 15, 2013 06:35PM

Re: there "goe's" the neighborhood - someone didn't pass high school history class. Blacks were in D.C. long before the 1960's. Also, you didn't do to well in English class - goe's is incorrect - it is spelled as goes.

I moved to West Springfield from Chicago in 1980. Springfield Mall was weird in 1980 and continued to be a very strange mall.

Posted by: BadgerisStupid ()
Date: June 17, 2013 01:31PM

I hate when the English/Grammar police show up on message boards like this. But, (Badger) since you're doing it I will as well. Obviously you didn't pay attention in English class either. You used "to" when you should have used "too". And actually, you should have used "very" rather than "too".

Posted by: derf ()
Date: July 30, 2013 10:42AM

I feel particlary unsafe walking in Springfield Mall now, especially with the demolishing of the mall.

Posted by: "Stupied" ()
Date: July 30, 2013 11:28AM

Lol learn to spell before you start calling anything stupid. You're the sperm your fat cow of a mom should of swallowed.

Posted by: Stupiedmuch? ()
Date: August 01, 2013 03:08PM

What are you talking about? Reading comprehension too much for you? Obviously spelling correctly certainly is a challenge for you. Regarding your second sentence, this clearly displays your lack of intellect. Now you better get back to work, I believe there is a long line of people waiting to order fries.

Posted by: BrainyButterfly ()
Date: August 09, 2013 09:12PM

Lifetime Resident, you're stupid. I don't believe you're Puerto rican at all. Puerto rico is part of the USA and all are American citizens and English is the second language there. I haven't met a Puerto rican that did not speak English. So yeah right your mom learned English she already knew!

Also, as a latina whose parents were here since 1970's and paying their taxes since then I would say that not all Hispanics are illegals. It's stupid people like you who believe the media hype that everyone is illegal. If you have to make generalizations then you have to separate the new immigrants from the old immigrants. As a latina my family is republican and we are us citizens. So your generalization is stupid.

Most illegals are from central America and a few dirt poor parts of south America. Illegals are all poor. I came from a wealthy family. So stick your generalizations up your ass. Central America produced MS13 because stupid US decided to give their families amnesties to escape a civil war in their country but instead they say they couldn't fit in here and decided to create an international gang.

Posted by: longtimeres ()
Date: October 19, 2013 12:56AM

Paper moon and places like it are a joke due to Va laws.. pasties, sequins, fishnets ...really I would be much more turned on (honestly) for the next housewife or granny to get up and lift her skirt and show her weekday panties and pantyhose that the junk they have to wear... also a thin bra or braless with a t shirt also better than pasties.. I don't know why anyone goes.. beer prob cost a fortune

Posted by: PEOPLE LIKE YOU MAKE ME LAUGH ()
Date: May 23, 2014 10:23PM

I'm a small girl just 5 feet tall and 120 lbs and have worked in the mall for a few years past 9pm yet you a MAN felt unsafe in the mall? Get some balls and use your common sense in any strange building!

invisibleman Wrote:
> Anybody else feel like they're taking their life
> in their hands when they go over to Springfield
> Mall? I work 5 minutes away and have been going
> over there at lunchtime to do a little Christmas
> shopping. Seems like there have been a lot of
> violent things going on at this mall lately
> (stabbings, fights, etc.). I find myself looking
> over my shoulder and trying to avoid walking too
> close to anybody, especially in the parking lots.
> . . I also try to get in and out as quickly as
> possible.
>
> How long has it been like this?

Posted by: BrianyButterfly is Retarded ()
Date: October 22, 2014 12:05PM

Man, you have a mental disability or something, Puerto Rico is a spanish speaking country so english isn't required, but they do recommend you speak it. But again many people from puerto rico dont speak english. Go pick up a book, or better yet go there since you have the free time to insult on the internet, why not do something that will give you life experiences.

Posted by: speaking to stupid ()
Date: October 25, 2014 03:11AM

BrianyButterfly is Retarded Wrote:
> Man, you have a mental disability or something,
> Puerto Rico is a spanish speaking country so
> english isn't required, but they do recommend you
> speak it. But again many people from puerto rico
> dont speak english. Go pick up a book, or better
> yet go there since you have the free time to
> insult on the internet, why not do something that
> will give you life experience

Nope that is you. PR has two official languages which is English and Spanish meaning that English is taught to them from a young age in schools. So most know SOME English! And I was referring to the Puerto ricans in the US dumbass obviously they are bilingual!

Posted by: Bean Counter ()
Date: December 07, 2017 06:54PM

Springfield Mall used to be nice back in the day. Now it is nothing but a roach motel for Hispanics. I would never shop there again, too ghetto.

Posted by: H8 to tell you ()
Date: December 09, 2017 08:29AM

Stop trying to paint Springfield Mall as something it was not. Springfield Mall never had the status of Tyson's, or even Fair Oaks. It was the mall for locals and was always a bit seedy. The Hispanics you see there today are simply a darker hued version of the people who have always been there. They are doing the same shit you and your teenage friends did when you hung out there.

Posted by: A question 4 u ()
Date: December 13, 2017 12:54PM

Has anyone gone to the new Springfield Town Center/Springfield Mall to shop this Christmas season. Not to eat there and just happened to wander into the area where the stores are, but specifically to shop there?

Posted by: Bueller ()
Date: December 16, 2017 09:27AM

Anyone???

Posted by: Floptown ()
Date: January 26, 2018 06:56PM

Don't shop there anymore or anywhere really. Mostly online.
Occasionally I get dragged to one of the restaurants there or hit target, buts that rare too.
Been to the overpriced movie theatre a couple of times, unfortunately.
Once a year for last minute Christmas shopping.
That place is mostly no good IMO.

Posted by: ManyManyYearsAgo ()
Date: January 28, 2018 10:40PM

Have to say that I'm disappointed with the Springfield Town Center. I remember Springfield Mall in its heyday--Far East Bazaar, Hong Kong, Garfinckel's, Tiffany's, Six Happiness Restaurant, the Hot Shoppes Cafeteria, Harmony Hut, etc. Even with the renovation that happened in the late 80s/early 90s, it still remained a great place to go.

Then, it really went downhill. Stores closed and stores not worth mentioning took their place.

The latest installment is just depressing to walk through and I rarely go there.

Posted by: Vince22 ()
Date: November 10, 2018 09:28PM

Does anyone remember Rudolph at Christmas time being at the mall 77-80? I’m going nuts trying to find just 1 pic.

Re: Springfield Mall Regal Movie Theatre
Posted by: Jianna ()
Date: September 21, 2019 12:19AM

Just saw a movie at the Regal cinema at Springfield town center and all I can say is wow! I could not even count how many people were being escorted by theatre security into the theatre to unoccupied seats. It was SOOOO obvious how people are getting through back doors, lack of security etc. And what I found odd was that every single one was from a specific ethnic background. Wtf?? Is this how socialism is being piloted? Just kidding!!! But seriously, my family is here legally from over 30 years ago. Who are these people!!!??? And wtf is nobody doing anything about it, and last, what else are they getting away with?

Re: Springfield Mall Regal Movie Theatre
Posted by: Big money ()
Date: November 14, 2019 10:05PM

Yeah it's terrible. I sneak into theatre s for the last 35 years, I never used to have all these spics and padroes come in along side me. They've really lowered the class of this activity. 9/11 was a hologram and FEMA camps are real!

Posted by: Bill Withers ()
Date: December 23, 2019 02:23PM

The only other shop that I remember selling Skateboard stuff was Sport and Hobby Warehouse around the corner from Wavedancer. They had been there since the late 70's. I assume the owner died since he was old back in the 80's or he retired. I don't remember Wavedancer being called anything else.

Posted by: MallWall ()
Date: September 08, 2020 12:39PM

the skate park adjacent to the old springfield mall was called "the mall wall". i remember hanging out there in the 70's. I worked at JCPenney when Lady Di and Charles visited. Used to play video games in timeout (there were two of them, the larger one was upstairs near the orange julius). Saw Star Wars in '77 and had to wait in hours long line just to get a ticket. I remember the line stretched outside the mall and around the corner of entrance 2. Damn the world was so different back then.

Posted by: sunnah ()
Date: February 18, 2021 11:16PM

MallWall Wrote:

>Used to play video games in timeout (there were two of
> them, the larger one was upstairs near the orange
> julius).

There is a lot in this thread. Just wanted to comment here that I am regretting changing all my half dollar and dollar coins for quarters at Timeout.

Date: February 18, 2021 11:20PM

I have lived in this area since 1977 and I also used to work in the mall at Chess King and Oaktree. If the reports are true-- It hard to imagine this Mall has been paused with all the trouble. It used to be such a friendly place. I go by it often today and have no inclination to go there. I think I went to the Target a few times only but never traveled in the mall. I think the first renovation was supposed to address the climate there. Too bad it is still like that.

Posted by: sarah elizabeth ()
Date: June 09, 2021 10:22PM

i work at springfield mall and i’ll just say that there is constantly shady shit going on there. a few weeks ago while i was working a man from DC raped a teenage boy in one of the downstairs bathrooms. there was a shooting there a month or two back and lots of creepers and people i feel may be involved in sex trafficking. i would just say to be careful. it’s not a dangerous mall but i do often feel like i have to watch my surroundings and who i interact with.

Date: June 09, 2021 11:09PM

Wow, that is really sad that those types of crimes can happen in that environment. Why have the mall management not figured it out in all these years? I wonder if other malls like Pentagon City, Fair Oaks or Tyson's have to deal with it. I used to work at the Eddie Bauer store at Tyson's and the only thing I can remember is a bunch of pot smelling regulars coming in for that Triple Fat Goose, hehe. Thanks for sharing Sarah.

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.