HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Mount Vernon :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Mt. Vernon Monster
Posted by: KayKay ()
Date: October 12, 2007 02:48PM

Anybody out there been around the area long enough to remember the Mt. Vernon Monster?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mt. Vernon Monster
Posted by: Big Ed ()
Date: December 22, 2007 11:07PM

No, what is the story about this?

Posted by: walker ()
Date: December 22, 2007 11:31PM

It was back in the late '70's if I remember correctly. Supposedly, on several occasions, people heard an animal-like noise in the woods. Like a loud growling or something? My dad heard about it on the police scanner. Anyway, I think it turned out to be some kids playing a joke.

Posted by: abdow ()
Date: December 30, 2007 07:00PM

MOUNT VERNON MONSTER HAUNTS WOODS, WRECKS PEACE
Byline: Sam Hartz

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) - George Washington once slept here, but he might find it harder nowadays. A strange something is at large, wailing or screaming nightly a mile from the ancestral home of the Father of His Country. For nine noisy months, the mystery creature has haunted a patch of woods surrounded by $150,000 homes near Mount Vernon, wrecking the peace and defying spotting and identification. Local teen-agers have caught its act on tape. It goes something like: "ooahkra-ah," or "eeveakgoo-ah." or even "aaaoohauoa-ah-oo."

The Mount Vernon Monster, some call it. Others, Bigfoot. More guess: hoot owls, loud frogs, a radio with a stuck button, wild boars, a prankster with a bull horn, or the ghost of George washington's pigs. "One person suggested a peacock". said George Stickman, Fairfax County game warden, who has ruled out bears, bobcats and other fauna found in the vicinity. The peacock theory may not be too exotic. Experts at the nearby Mason Neck Wildlife Refuge said peafowl are often kept as yard pets in the south One could have flown the coop and fluttered to Mount Vernon. "They have a loud, penetrating cry, almost like a scream," said John Aldrich, a retired Fish and Wildlife researcher. Mike Morgan of the National zoo said the birds used to escape frequently when allowed to roam the grounds. Whatever it may be, the creature is elusive as well as vocal. It has foiled police watches, flyovers by a U.S. Park police helicopter, volunteer youth patrols and the determined efforts of warden Stickman.

"The thing seems to know when you leave the woods. Then it starts to holler," said Stickman, who staged a fruitless overnight vigil to catch the interloper. Meanwhile, residents continue to discuss the problem at get- togethers, playing tapes and advancing theories. "Maybe it's a wounded animal or bird with damaged vocal cords," said Maggie Oyer, who thinks the sound it makes is a "low wailing." One resident, Thelma Crisp, says she spotted the monster. She described it as a creature about six feet tall which lumbered into the woods after being sighted. Could it be a Bigfoot, trying to reach headquarters of the Fish and Wildlife Service in Washington, 15 miles away? "If its Bigfoot, and there's proof." said a spokesman, "we'd protect it."

Submitted to this website by archive researcher Marlene Trask, North Carolina 1996
Copyright: Kentucky Daily Independent Newspaper
Dated: 5/20/1979

source http://www.bigfootencounters.com/articles/alexandr.htm

Posted by: Road Kill Chick ()
Date: June 10, 2008 12:15AM

This has come up alot. I'm surprised no one has relised what it is. Those starnge noises at night are all made by foxes. Simple as that.

Posted by: Jackie-O! ()
Date: June 11, 2008 06:38AM

I heard those noises when I was kid and I know for a fact it was NOT a fox. Rumor had it, it was kids with a loud speaker and a small hot air balloon doing it.

Posted by: Dan summers ()
Date: July 31, 2008 01:21PM

I used to go with friends to a golf course near Quantico, VA. We would sit and listen to this thing. I've spent a great deal of time in the wilds. This was not a fox. Could of been a hoax, but it sure sounded real.

Posted by: InsideGuy ()
Date: January 08, 2009 10:43AM

No such thing folks! I grew up in Mount Vernon!

Posted by: KayKay ()
Date: February 10, 2009 02:21PM

So did I and there where noises. Nat. Geo. said it was a baby robin played in revers slowed down. They were creepy noises for sure.

InsideGuy...what year did you grad? Me-82

Posted by: InsideGuy ()
Date: February 12, 2009 10:07AM

Ok, I did hear about the rumor of the Mount Vernon Monster back in the 80's and we all loved to talk about it while we were running the streets at night. I personally never heard the infamous Mount Vernon Monster but will concede that something was probably going on – at least back in the 80’s. And whether it’s a rumor, fact or folklore we owe it to the kids today to play it up so they have something to pass down. KayKay… I graduated from Mount Vernon in 1984.

Posted by: MtVernonManor ()
Date: September 05, 2009 12:09AM

My son and I just watched a show on the Travel Channel tonight about Bigfoot. It made me Google Mt. Vernon Monster and I found this thread. I was on on Gateshead RD 1968-1986. My mom was best friends with Mrs. Crisp on Union Farm RD. The kids in Southwood had a big laugh back in the day. They said it was done by a guy on Adrianne DR, at the foot of Dandridge TERR. He used his dad's massive stereo played out the back windows. They said he also dug in their trash cans on Union Farm RD. He graduated around 1979 or 1980.
InsideGuy, I was MVHS 1984 too.

Posted by: stevesquatch ()
Date: January 21, 2010 07:16PM

It was no hoax people. There was something there in the woods for awhile. I used to go down there 2 or 3 times a week with another friend......never alone. I first heard about it while reading the Alexandria Gazette in about 79'. The first time I went out there to check it out was in 1983. I was 19 at that time. My buddy & I went out into the woods to listen for something. We stayed in the woods for about 30 mins but didn't hear anything. Then we went back to the car to hang out in there since it was chilly out. The police came down to see what we were doing in 3 separate squad cars. The officer asked us what we were doing there & my buddy told him that we were there to listen for the monster. The officer had a good chuckle & told us that he personally didn't believe in it but that his partner did. Just as that came out of his mouth, there was a horrific scream from about 100 feet away. The officer told us to get out of there & at that point he ran to his squad car & raced down Union Farm Rd & through the gate of the Old Union Farm with the other squad cars following him. They had their spotlights on in every direction. We left immediately. Another night I was down there with 4 other friends of mine. We were hanging out on the little bridge just at the entrance to the Old Union Farm property. We were playing 20 questions just to pass the time. I kept hearing these strange knocks of wood on wood every few minutes. I don't think the other guys payed attention to it but I heard it 3 separate times total. I told my buddies that I kept hearing the knocks and after saying "hey guys, that is the 3rd time I've heard that sound" This thing screamed at us. It was the most horrific scream I have ever heard & it was about 25 or so feet from us. The most harrowing part was that we had to run right by it to get to the car. As we were running past it to the car it screamed again. The scream was totally enveloping and felt as if it would knock you over. At that point it was about 10 or 12 feet from us. I can tell you that is was no speaker or person that can scream like that. This was a low guttural scream that came from the belly & up to the chest. It was nothing I have ever heard before. I've been out in the woods my entire life hunting, camping, fishing etc...& there is no animal that can make that kind of sound. That particular evening only 2 of us were believers up until that point. After that night all 5 of us were believers in this creature. That was the scariest night of my life & I'll never forget it. There were other occasions that we would go out there to listen & we actually heard it yelling several times but never at that close proximity again. It tossed rocks at me & my buddy once & we even saw it's breath on a really cold evening right at the treeline on the golf course. People can be skeptics all they want, that is their choice but when you experience something like my friends & I did you never forget it & question a lot of your former beliefs. There is more & more evidence mounting that Bigfoot is out there in our world. One day there will be rock solid proof. In any event, thanks for this website.

Posted by: Jackie-O! ()
Date: January 22, 2010 05:19PM

So what do you suppose happened to this thing?

Posted by: Highlander ()
Date: January 28, 2010 11:54AM

It was elected as county chairman and ultimately elected to congress...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2010 09:08AM by Highlander.

Posted by: bledbetter ()
Date: April 16, 2010 03:10PM

Highlander: LOL!

connolly-and-co.jpg
"Ribbit!"

Posted by: Mt. Vernon Resident ()
Date: June 19, 2010 11:41PM

Yeah right, if you ever heard it, you would know its not a fox. Foxes dont make a noise like that, being from the country, I know what a fox sounds like and that was no fox the nights I witnessed the sound from the Mt. Vernon Monster in the early 1980's

Posted by: MVHS 84 too ()
Date: August 11, 2010 08:21PM

I lived in Southwood then. I heard it one night while babysitting for a neighbor whose house backed to those woods. Every house along the woods turned on the lights in their back yards.

Date: August 30, 2010 11:50PM

A group of my friends and I used to go there regularly in the early 80's. More often than not, the only sounds we heard were the police cars pulling in to shoo us away, but we heard the thing dozens of times. One night in particular we were all standing at the end of the road before the little bridge with our flashlights, looking through the edges of the woods on either side. The blacktop ended about 20 yards before the bridge and the dirt road was bone-dry. We walked back up the street and hung around by our cars for about 20 minutes. The automatic sprinklers were on at the golf course beside the road and we distinctly heard something splash through one of the sprinklers. Moments later we heard a large cracking sound like a tree branch breaking. A few seconds later we heard that distinctive low pitched grumbling kind of sound that we'd heard dozens of times before. We walked back down to the dirt part of the road with our flashlights and there was one small (2' x 6" approx) wet spot on the edge of the road at the woods on the golf course side, a large, circular wet spot in the middle of the dirt road and another small wet spit at the edge of the woods on the other side of the road. The large spot in the middle had lots of little spots around it as if something stood there for a few seconds and was dripping. We looked into the woods by the golf course and saw a freshly broken branch about 8 feet up that wasn't there earlier. It was about an inch and a half in diameter if I remember right. Whatever it was that crossed the road did it in only three steps and it's a good twenty feet across. Strangest part was there were no noticeable footprints in the wet dirt. A fox might be able to make it across in three steps but I've never seen one climb a tree after being drenched by a sprinkler and snap a large branch. There was a time when one of the guys who lived on the street tried to mess with the kids that would go "monster watching" dressed in a gorilla suit, but after that night the bunch of us were and still are that this was no hoax and I'm one skeptical s.o.b. Take it for what it's worth. I have other stories, but this one was the most bizarre.

Posted by: Cannho ()
Date: January 07, 2011 10:59AM

The Mt. Vernon Monster was a couple of kids that had more fun with technology than drugs!! It was in 1979 or '80. A few people with vivid imaginations said the saw the monster. Well there was no such thing, just some very savy Mt. Vernon High boys that put speakers in the trees! One of the boys I am very famaliar with - my son!

Posted by: dapht ()
Date: February 25, 2011 10:01PM

I've been collecting information about the Mount Vernon Monster for a couple of years. I have a page devoted to it on a blog:

http://dapht.blogspot.com/2011/02/new-page-mount-vernon-monster.html

I'm very interested in hearing from people who were there between September 1978 and Summer of 1979.

I am most interested in people who can provide first hand accounts. I'm interested in claims of hoaxing -- for instance, if someone was hoaxing, did you witness the hoaxing? Did you participate in the hoaxing? There can't be any legal repercussions now, so don't be afraid to come forward if you were involved and can give information about a possible hoax.

Likewise, I'm interested in hearing from people who were there and who knew the principle witnesses. If it's at all possible, I'd be interested in generating a timeline of events.

If you were a witness either to the sounds the creature made, or of the creature itself, I'd be very interested in hearing from you. All correspondence with me will be held private at your request. You can email me from the blog linked above, or from the address at the top of this post.

Posted by: John K. ()
Date: July 05, 2011 02:27AM

Kay Kay,

How is my lunch buddy? We ate everyday together as I think Juniors and A lunch. John Kelley, hope you are well. Drop me a email!

Posted by: greg goettlich ()
Date: August 05, 2011 06:14AM

I grew up in Ft Hunt.Born in 1970.I have 4 older brothers and sisters.I heard alot about this when it was going on.My siblings used to go and listen for it.I dont know if it was a hoax or an animal,though I do know alot of people that claimed to hear something in the woods out there.I read a post by inside guy that said he grew up in Mt Vernon and there was no such thing.He must have led a shelterd life not to have heard of the monster,be it real or hoax.

Posted by: greg r ()
Date: August 29, 2011 10:16PM

Interesting stuff, I wen't to MVHS "75" but never heard of this thing...had left for Germany 76-81. I do remember the UFO sighting though, not sure I believed it at the time. I lived over in Riverside Estates but am familiar with Gateshead as I had a girlfriend that lived on that street. I assume the woods that are referenced are the Mt.Zeypher park where the creek runs across Old Mill?

Posted by: Phantom ()
Date: September 02, 2011 02:12PM

I'm interested in hearing from Cannho about who perpetrated this prank. I'm an MV grad too ('84) and remember all the backyard conversations about the Mt. Vernon monster and the articles in the local papers (even the Washington Post had an article at one point). Then I was told several years later (probably 1983 or '84) by the person who did this prank (and it was a prank) how they did it. In other words, I know your son.

I'll just say this: Riverwood.

Posted by: Doug Barry ()
Date: September 09, 2011 11:18AM

There was a Mount Vernon Monster. Those who say there was not are either incorrect or not telling the truth. Those who say it was a hoax or clever kids from MVHS are either incorrect or not telling the truth. It is certainly possible that this happened later in this episode like in after 1983, etc., but from 76 to 82, Not. I saw it and more than one. I tracked it with others. I did this for years and this happened every night. I spent many nights sleeping in the woods or on the roof of the Crisp's house. The real part was no hoax.

Posted by: rl ()
Date: October 17, 2011 10:31PM

we were there it was totally for real i saw it run trough bryants field accross from union farm and the woodlawn golf course we always chgecked out the screams big hid from park police and fairfax lived in pipe under road they were always hunting for 10 cops wide during the day looking through the woods at union farm park police and fair fax walking through the woods doing a sweep

Posted by: Highlander ()
Date: October 27, 2011 11:35AM

rl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> we were there it was totally for real i saw it run
> trough bryants field accross from union farm and
> the woodlawn golf course we always chgecked out
> the screams big hid from park police and fairfax
> lived in pipe under road they were always hunting
> for 10 cops wide during the day looking through
> the woods at union farm park police and fair fax
> walking through the woods doing a sweep

Without a doubt, you live on RT. 1.

Posted by: Brian of Nazareth ()
Date: July 12, 2012 02:36AM

If it ever existed (which I seriously doubt) it could definitely exist quite easily in Huntley Meadows Park. Many acres of swamp that no human could or would want to traverse. In fact, I'm surprised that the urban legend hasn't made the switch to such a convenient locale. As for being a fox, I can believe it. Ever heard a vixen in heat? I actually called the police while sitting on my porch one mild winter night thinking that some chick was being murdered! The officer on call explained that it probably was a fox. I then went online to hear fox sounds and lo and behold... mystery solved! I'm now living in far upstate NY on the St. Lawrence River (after living all my life in the DC area!) and I actually miss hearing the foxes. On frigid winter nights though I often hear bands of roving coyotes. They definitely have a more primal sound than the foxes. I hope some night to meet up with a pack, although I know they would bolt at my mere presence. BTW, I'm old enough to remember Groveton HS even though I graduated from Robert E. Lee. Go Lancers 1982!

Posted by: Mt. Vernon Monster ()
Date: July 12, 2012 08:10AM

An artist's depiction of the terrifying Mt. Vernon Monster...
Attachments:
swampmonster.png

Posted by: lbarry2 ()
Date: February 08, 2013 03:52PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2019 02:19AM by lbarry2.

Date: February 08, 2013 04:11PM

s

Posted by: currentmv ()
Date: March 12, 2013 02:26AM

Hi yall,
Im a current resident of Old Mill Road and student at Mount Vernon high school. I have very fond memories of when I was younger, my buddies and I would spend all day in the woods behind South wood. We explored the woods compelety, all the way up to gristmill park. I will admitt, the woods do have a very strange and eerie feeling to them. Its hard to explain why we were drawn to it... even sometimes we would be adventerous and sneak out of our houses and meet up with flashlights to go into the woods... At the time, we had no idea that there were stories about the "Mount Vernon Monster". Does anyone know when the sightings of the supposesed "Monster" stopped? Also, when referancing the old storm drain that some claim the "Monster lived in, are you talking about the one that is in gristmill park?

Posted by: Logan Barry ()
Date: March 19, 2013 12:50PM

My dad went to MVHS in the late seventies. He searched for this creature from 1976-1982, so I think that is when the sightings started to stop. He said that there were a couple of hoaxes that happened after 1983. My father is dead now, but I still have his recording tape of the what the creature sounded like. It sounds pretty real to me, and it is also very strange. He never said anything to me about living in an old storm drain, whenever he saw it, it was at night time, and it was howling and throwing things at him. I wish I would of known about this storm drain before he died only a month ago, or I would have asked him about it. His post that he made on here is still there. His name is Doug Barry. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Posted by: I have heard it ()
Date: July 18, 2013 01:12PM

If you have a tape, make a .wav file out of it and put it up for us to hear. I have heard whatever it is/was yell many times and i would be able to verify if your tape if what i heard.
:)

Date: September 03, 2013 04:46PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2019 02:17AM by lbarry2.

Posted by: 1984 MV GRAD ()
Date: November 30, 2013 06:56PM

I also have heard the monster many times, spent a lot of weekend on golf course.
I'm also from country, and I have heard many foxes, and none that ever sounded like what I have heard back in the late 70's early 80's. I have seen this monster at the end of road to the entrance to house that sits back behind the gates. You can smell it if it is close enough, stinks like dirty skunk!
You people who don't believe, must have never experienced this or you would be a believer or deny it because your afraid to admit you were scared!!
I wish we had the technology we have today, things could have been recorded or pictures taken. I will always believe this was real. Sorry about your Dad Logan.
My best friend's house backed to golf course and they heard it many time ever night for years. Just got used to noise after awhile. I would sit patio and listen with her. Makes your legs week and hair stand.
Believe !

Posted by: D. N. ()
Date: December 25, 2013 07:46PM

I lived on Southwood Drive at that time and taped the sound. It rattled windows. It was very deep and not like any animal I have heard and I had spent time in the outdoors. The sound moved quickly from one end of the street to the other, even when investigators were present. There were large woods with marshy land behind our home. It sounded like it came from that area most of the time. No one could carry the technology of the time through the water. We were talking about this at a family dinner tonight and everyone remembered it. This is not a sound ever forgotten!

Posted by: Logan Barry ()
Date: January 28, 2014 08:11PM

you must of been a couple or a few years younger than my dad if you graduated in '84, he was on the football team at your school, although I doubt you would remember him. I know his mom (my grandmother) was the counselor at MVHS for a while (her name Was "Mrs. Barry"), but I'm not sure if she was still there while you were still in high school. I'm surprised that there was still activity going on in '84, but that's awesome. My family and I are currently searching for his tape recording, because he did record it. It really sucks, because I want to upload it, but we can't find it anywhere. My Dad was the only one who knew where it was. When and if I do find it, this will be the place that I will upload it at.

Posted by: Retired FCPD ()
Date: February 16, 2014 07:28PM

I am a retired Police Officer and I can assure you this was no Hoax. There were several reported sightings of this creature, including a sighting by an MP from Fort Belvoir, residents along Union Ford Rd. and some kids on the Golf Course, and a hunter in a tree stand, hunting in a near by swamp for deer. I was there one night in May of 1979 and heard the screams, and being an avid hunter and outdoors man. I can say It was not any animal that I've ever heard. It would make your hair stand on end, I'll never forget it...... I,ve done my own investigation.... You decide for yourself.

=^..^=

Posted by: Bigjohn ()
Date: August 17, 2014 04:10PM

Iwas there back in the day. w/Stickman.
We were using listing devices and older infared. No starlight back then we could get. Belive me it was there. //Johnny G./Buddy. /Ron. Hope you see this.
Been over 30 years.
John

Date: October 03, 2014 02:33PM

Cannho,
Are your son's initials BB, who had a black and red motorcycle or was this guy your son's friend? A friend of his said he used his dad's stereo and I think a reel-to-reel tape player, turning the reels by hand to make the sound they recorded deeper and more menacing.

Also, there was a gray fox living in those woods by night when the monster was around. A neighbor's father saw it one night on the edge of the woods in his backyard. It's bark sounded like it was being strangled, each one lasted about one second. It wasn't a howl or a growl, but it got attention too, and many people confused it with "The Mt. Vernon Monster".

Why doesn't someone on this thread call in the guys from Finding Bigfoot on Animal Planet?

Date: October 03, 2014 02:57PM

Cannho Wrote:
> The Mt. Vernon Monster was a couple of kids that
> had more fun with technology than drugs!! It was
> in 1979 or '80. A few people with vivid
> imaginations said the saw the monster. Well there
> was no such thing, just some very savy Mt. Vernon
> High boys that put speakers in the trees! One of
> the boys I am very famaliar with - my son!

Cannho,
Are your son's initials BB, who rode a black and red motorcycle or was this guy your son's friend? A friend of his said he used his dad's stereo and I think a reel-to-reel tape player, turning the reels by hand to make the sound they recorded deeper and more menacing.

Phantom,
I assume you know BB.

dapht,
Why doesn't someone on this thread call in the guys from Finding Bigfoot on Animal Planet?

Posted by: Suckers ()
Date: October 06, 2014 11:11PM

Thats because the hoaxters are long gone

MtVernonManor Wrote:

> Why doesn't someone on this thread call in the
> guys from Finding Bigfoot on Animal Planet?

Posted by: bigjohn ()
Date: February 02, 2015 04:46PM

Looks like everybody is gone. i did find out the truth.
20 years later. miss crisp, her brother, and so on.
Bigjohn

Posted by: Suckers ()
Date: February 06, 2015 10:29AM

I miss Miss Crisp she was one helluva Lady.

I was one of the Hoaxters some of us are still around

Date: April 17, 2015 10:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2019 02:15AM by lbarry2.

Posted by: logan barry2 ()
Date: October 23, 2015 11:00PM

I am back home in VA now. And I have finally found my dad's audio recording of the sounds. Pretty weird sounding. I have no idea how I would upload it though.

Posted by: IT Dept ()
Date: October 27, 2015 06:28PM

A simple solution, assuming you still have a tape player of some sort to play it on and access to a laptop with a built in microphone or headset with a mic. (Windows)

Play the sound while running this application near the microphone:

Start button > Accessories > Sound Recorder.

Save the recording as a .wav file. Attach the file to your post.

I want it because I think it would make an awesome ringtone. :)

Date: October 27, 2015 08:50PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2019 02:13AM by lbarry2.

Date: November 08, 2015 03:30PM

Please do I had some old recordings but still looking for them.
I'd like to see how they compare.
John

Date: November 09, 2015 11:41AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2019 02:11AM by lbarry2.

Date: November 10, 2015 05:27PM

I have one from the sheriffs dept. old but I think it still works.
cassette interview recorder. small but I can send it. but need it back if I find my recordings. it is a cassette.
john

Date: November 11, 2015 05:41PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2019 02:09AM by lbarry2.
Attachments:
Bigfoot.m4a

Date: November 11, 2015 05:51PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2019 02:06AM by lbarry2.

Date: November 12, 2015 10:32AM

That's exactly what we heard. Wish I could find my recordings and pics.
I'll look again today but 36 years later?????
John

Posted by: DaPhT ()
Date: November 17, 2015 11:22AM

Thanks to John for pointing me toward the audio file.

If anyone wants to email me, use the link in this new post, as I don't have access to the old email address. (And I don't know why.. I srsly thought I still had that!)

The timeline for the events seems to extend further into the 80s than I had thought, and there appears to be a more solid case for at least one hoaxer, though the timeline for that isn't given. I don't doubt that someone could have hoaxed, but I do wonder whether someone would be committed to doing it for ten years. That'd be a story in itself!

Also, one poster said that the sound was only ever heard on Adrienne Drive, but I have accounts from more places than that. There could be a confluence of multiple times here, though. Perhaps there were times when a hoaxer was active, and the sounds were only heard in a small area. I wish I could nail these things down. As it is right now, we have many anecdotal accounts spread across a fairly lengthy span of time.

If anyone would like to sit for an interview, please let me know at the address above. This includes people who perpetrated a hoax. I've got no judgment about what happened. I mean, back in the 70s when I was a kid, I enjoyed prank calling people! (Is your refrigerator running? Better catch it! Ohhh, so clever we were..) So I get the motivation, and would hold private any details someone didn't want made public. The reason I ask is that I have interviews from people who witnessed the events, but none from people who admit to hoaxing. I would like to get some of that on the record if I could.

Likewise, if you were a witness and want your account preserved, please contact me. Your anonymity is assured if you want it that way. I only keep a page at my regular blog and don't do a lot with it at the moment. I probably update it every two years. But I feel like something like this should be preserved and kept up with. As time goes by, we lose the witnesses and supporting materials. I wish I could have interviewed one of the principle witnesses, but I came along too late. So let's try to save what we've got left.

Date: November 17, 2015 04:47PM

bnb20180@gmail.com I have a person of intrest. cant get your e-mail.
I can post but it will blow this thing out. just what happened for 2 years,
I know but cant post.

Date: November 18, 2015 03:52PM

kinda like a cold case file
John

Posted by: DaPhT ()
Date: November 18, 2015 11:06PM

John, I'll send an email to that address right now. Thanks!

Date: December 11, 2015 05:21PM

I will say the Hoaxters were bullshit unless it was in the 80s
or later. But they wont come forward.
Bigjohn

Posted by: big john ()
Date: December 15, 2015 05:18PM

really // Suckers ()///you where one of the hoaxters? don't think so. what was the year. don't think you will post. grow a set of balls. don't be a pussy. like everybody thinks you are.

Date: December 16, 2015 12:29PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2019 02:05AM by lbarry2.

Date: December 16, 2015 12:31PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2019 02:02AM by lbarry2.

Date: December 22, 2015 04:57PM

lbarry2 send me your e-mail addy and ill send you my recording.
john

Date: December 22, 2015 08:32PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2019 12:22AM by lbarry2.

Posted by: T ()
Date: March 12, 2016 12:13AM

I have lived here long enough to know about the Mount Vernon Monster. I've heard it countless times. I would be interested in hearing the recording. I'll verify if that's what I heard on a regular basis.
Thanks.

Date: March 16, 2016 10:14AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2019 12:21AM by lbarry2.

Posted by: seth funderburg ()
Date: April 12, 2016 08:35PM

I lived on Pickering place for three years during the late seventies and early eighties. My family and neighbors heard this sound over one hundred times. Don't know if it was a hoax or not but it was sure real and it scared the hell out of most everyone who heard it.
Feel free to reach out. We will talk.

Date: April 21, 2016 01:55PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2019 12:17AM by lbarry2.

Posted by: TYCcd ()
Date: July 16, 2016 12:20PM

TYCcd

Posted by: tdevk ()
Date: September 08, 2016 11:43AM

bump

Posted by: U7eYX ()
Date: March 04, 2017 03:43PM

Well how ever done it must be long gone. or in west by god. ya talking about j.t.

Posted by: 2ndGenerationMtVernon ()
Date: March 16, 2017 02:55PM

I'm pretty bummed I am just coming across this thread. I grew up in Mount Vernon Manor, as with my father and always loved the stories he would tell me about the Mt. Vernon Monster! I have a lot of fond memories swimming in Miss Crisp's pool and eating cookies while she told me stories of the monster! I even used to ice skate on the frozen swampy area behind her house. I miss her so much!

My father, uncle, and best friends all swear that it was real. Out of the five of them, only one is still alive and is such a fucking waste of life, I refuse to talk to him. So this was so fun to read and brought back some really great memories. For the record, although I was not alive yet when this was all going on, I am a believer!

My neighbor across the street has his own theory of who it was, which I strongly disagree with, but to each their own.

For my own curiosity, is anyone familiar with the Strobles, Maxwells, or another local named Guardy?

Date: March 16, 2017 11:12PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2019 12:15AM by lbarry2.

Posted by: Past Times ()
Date: October 28, 2017 05:28PM

I was doing a web search for the Mt. Vernon Monster and, of course, one of the links was FFXU...

This Wash Post article from '79 is pretty good too; but theres no mention of 'Southwood Sasquatch', which was another names from those days. !

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1979/05/12/the-mount-vernon-monster/e50bffea-9cbf-4414-b9a4-f9d89b80c73f/?utm_term=.ac87a69fa91d

And this guy on YouTube is pitching from his book which mentions it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0175FSXBK/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=timetravel21-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B0175FSXBK&linkId=1d0256c59bf0b0c71878bdde91efb878

Posted by: Ursula ()
Date: February 19, 2019 06:50PM

The guy that said he was one of the hoaxters...must have received an eye full watching me and my naked boyfriend making out on GW Parkway. We heard the monster one night and ran our asses off to his Trans Am. This was in the seventies...hahaha...

Posted by: Tiger Balls ()
Date: February 20, 2019 01:24AM

That noise was just me while getting a blowjob from my girlfriend who was sucking my huge dick.

Posted by: Raziel G. ()
Date: February 27, 2019 07:59PM

I think there was a theory about it being the same creature as the Enfield Horror, Due to the fact that as Enfield Horror stories started lessening, Mt. Vernon Monster stories began to appear. BTW, do you maybe have a recording of the sound?

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 05, 2019 09:04AM

I grew up on Little Hunting Creek - lived there from 1972 to 1985. I heard the sounds at around 1 AM on several occasions. What does not make sense to the hoaxer story is that the sounds traveled and were heard in different places. Maryland Wildlife officials came to the conclusion that it was a bobcat in heat. I have heard the same sounds in Shenandoah National Park while night hiking and in nearby areas when heading to hunting stands at 4 AM.
Usually between 2 and 5 AM. I am more inclined to believe it was a natural phenomenon. However, whatever the source of the "call" it is definitely a hair-raising noise, especially when heard at close range.

Posted by: Unit 8 ()
Date: August 20, 2019 04:20PM

Bump for the monster

Posted by: Unit 8 ()
Date: November 11, 2019 02:08PM

Bump

Posted by: dougdevine ()
Date: December 11, 2019 05:37AM

kay kay, there is a mt Vernon monster... its a bigfoot . it took me years to understand what i saw but but back in 80s i came with in 3 feet of this thing face to face, it was hideous, my encounter is on vic Cundiff Sasquatch show.. its real.. i came face to face with it in the woods of mt. vernon park, near Sequoia and pinewood lake i lived in a house on corcoran st. and would go inthose woods shooting.. drinking beer occasionally and cut thru to go to a relitives place.. want more details just hit me up.. by the way I remember a kay kay cotter from Mt Vernon. is that you.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 23, 2020 01:14PM

dougdevine -

Not sure who you were addressing as "kay kay" - but no - I am not "kay kay". So you were up near Hybla Valley? I lived down near the G.W. Parkway - went to Stephen Foster Intermediate and Ft. Hunt High. Gonna Google "vic Cundiff Sasquatch show"

Date: March 07, 2020 12:27AM

Posted by: Steve Winkler ()
Date: July 13, 2020 11:14AM

Hi Logan. You'll find some of this very interesting. I lived on the north side of a large wilderness area that ran from Huntley Meadows park in the northeast to Ft. Belvoir in the southwest. Our house was 50 yards from the tree line and literally 2 miles from the area where your Dad made these recordings but on the other side of this wilderness area. We used to cut through this wilderness area to go over to Route 1 sometimes and I had what I believe was an encounter with this thing on a cold January night in 1976 near Pole Road. Pole Road was the first road you hit once you cleared the woods and it paralleled Rt 1 right near where Mt Vernon Memorial highway dead ends to Rt 1. There were a number of incidents which happened in these woods bordering my neighborhood around this time (I lived in Hayfield Farms) that you'll find very interesting. There is also a BFRO report filed by an MP who was stationed at Davidson Army Airfield in 1977 just 3 miles from where your Dad made these recordings. I'm happy to share these incidents with you as they prove that this was not a hoax. Also, I would love to get copies of the recordings you made as well. Thx! Steve Winkler

Posted by: Shawn Crisp ()
Date: December 30, 2020 04:00PM

I can most assuredly say that this was not a hoax! Logan, I knew your dad and spent many nights with him hunting for and listening to the Mt.Vernon Monster. I saw it on several occasions and the sound it made was unworthy. Might there have been hoaxers as well? That could be, but there definitely was something nonhuman in the woods feom 1979 into the later 80's.

Posted by: Sonofmtvernonstex ()
Date: April 12, 2021 09:17PM

Sean, I’d like to speak with you if you’d be wiling. It’d mean a lot to me.

Respectfully,

-LB

Posted by: Sasysquatchgirl ()
Date: April 16, 2023 12:15PM

Hello everyone I am years late, but I would love to hear any recordings of the creature and/or pics you may have for my blog. I hope you see this!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.