HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
McLean :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The Old Bars In McLean
Posted by: Rod ()
Date: December 28, 2007 03:15PM

Old Bars in McLean I remember:

-O'Tools which was ok especially if O'tool was ok. I remember his photo of a elephant and the caption.

-The Smoke House which was next to the old Bowling Alley

-The Chinese Bar which still exists

-the VFW which still exists to some degree, I used to run into Mr Cline's son there in my few visits there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Old Bars In McLean
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: December 28, 2007 04:27PM

The Chinese Bar which still exists

Do you mean the place around the corner from Kazan restaurant, in the Giant shopping center?

I've lived here for almost 11 years and never even heard of those other places. Never knew we used to have a bowling alley here!

Date: January 01, 2008 05:44PM

Ya, around the corner from Kazan's. I remember the guy, Rudy I think, who started that place from a place called for many years Steak in a Sack. Rudy was Armenian and had some great spices. At first he just sold delicious lamb sandwitches.

I used to go to the Chinese place when I used to live on Cedar Avenue late at night. It was quite a diverse crowd. It has the distinction of still being there.

Most all of them are....gone with the wind, as am I. Once I was sitting in O'Tools and one of the regulars said to me, "Well everyone except you has gotten DWI." So maybe it's just as well.-Rod

Date: January 06, 2008 10:59AM

Rod- where was that McLean bowling alley located?

Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: March 13, 2008 06:17AM

The Bowling alley was located where that building w/ Immediate Care used to be ( I think there is a bank there now), to the right of Mclean Animal Hospital.

Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: March 13, 2008 06:19AM

BTW, The Chines Bar is known as PUB, and can be fun as shit some times!!!

Date: March 13, 2008 08:12AM

Then, not to be forgotten, there was the infamous 'Crystal Pistol' which was in Tyson Corner which is now in Mclean. We'd sit in there and drink beer watch the dancers who would wear pasties over their nipples as a concession to the law. The Crystol was torn down and replaced by some sort of steak place.

Date: March 13, 2008 07:40PM

I don't know if you read it, but there is going to be a big revitalization project for downtown McLean. They're going to put a street in next to that PUB place, instead of that parking lot. It'll also give more space for new businesses. It'll be nice to see some new stuff over there, I sorta get tired of the same old resataurants after awhile. I do wonder if the current economic conditions will attract stuff though... the old Gourmet Giant across the street has been sitting vacant for more than a year, not something you normally see in McLean.

As far as that Crystal place, was that near JR's Stockyard Inn? Or do you mean that steak place at the corner of Dolley Madison and Old Dominion- J-something-or-other?

Rod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Then, not to be forgotten, there was the infamous
> 'Crystal Pistol' which was in Tyson Corner which
> is now in Mclean. We'd sit in there and drink beer
> watch the dancers who would wear pasties over
> their nipples as a concession to the law. The
> Crystol was torn down and replaced by some sort of
> steak place.

Posted by: luther ()
Date: July 05, 2008 11:52AM

O'Tool's and Pub ( back then it was the Pikestaff) were HUGE spook hangouts. Bill O'Toole's wife, Pat, was a cashier at A&P and a friend of my mom, that's how i know. This was in the mid 70's. Pat used to complain that O'Toole's never made any money because Bill drank up all the profits.

Also, then it was Dunphy's and Jim Dunphy, in a shocking development, was a world-class drunk, and that huge black-haired bartender used to lock the door at 1:45-ish and whoever was still inside drank free til she wanted to leave. We used to wait by the door and all rush out and leave scatter-shot, reasoning that a cop could only pull over 1 of us. One night of that i wrecked my father's cadillac into a car parked in a driveway on Wrightson. Now that i think about it, her name was Janet, and after Dunphy's she worked at Cricket's, in that strip mall where the Pizza hut used to be, behind where McKeever's is.

Posted by: EstateAppraiser ()
Date: August 16, 2008 03:17AM

I wish my kids could go to the old bowling alley that we all enjoyed back in the day. All of the original McLean hangouts are kaput. And how is it we went from having three drive-in restaurants for years (Roy Rogers, Jack-in-the-Box, and McDonald's) and now we have two -ugh- McDonald's?

And why oh why won't Madison Deli stay open for dinner?

Posted by: EstateAppraiser ()
Date: August 16, 2008 03:18AM

The old Gourmet Giant is now actually McLean Hardware....

Posted by: Elvis ()
Date: November 06, 2009 06:56PM

I wonder what bar that Mark Esherick hangs out?

The Old Bars In McLean
Posted by: Jim Johnson ()
Date: November 11, 2009 11:51AM

Any news about the two new resturants/bars going in: (1) next to the Three Pigs and (2) across from McKeivers?

Posted by: wasRod ()
Date: November 12, 2009 08:04AM

> As far as that Crystal place, was that near JR's
> Stockyard Inn? Or do you mean that steak place at
> the corner of Dolley Madison and Old Dominion-
> J-something-or-other?
>
>
>
> Rod Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Then, not to be forgotten, there was the
> infamous
> > 'Crystal Pistol' which was in Tyson Corner
> which
> > is now in Mclean. We'd sit in there and drink
> beer
> > watch the dancers who would wear pasties over
> > their nipples as a concession to the law. The
> > Crystol was torn down and replaced by some sort
> of
> > steak place.

The Old Pistol was at Dolley Madison (or is it Maple Avenue there) and 7 in Tysons Corner.

Date: November 15, 2009 06:47PM

Jim Johnson Wrote:
>
> Any news about the two new resturants/bars going
> in: (1) next to the Three Pigs

The sign says "McLean Tavern". It's been up for awhile now, but I drove by there earlier and the place was still dark.

Bars In McLean
Posted by: Jim Johnson ()
Date: June 20, 2010 10:14AM

Come on you FU experts. What is the story on the "McLean Tavern" next to the Three Pigs? The sign says "OPening Soon" for well over a year.

Re: Bars In McLean
Posted by: Rodrod ()
Date: June 20, 2010 11:24AM

A good question

Posted by: Mclame ()
Date: June 21, 2010 09:36PM

Jim Johnson Wrote:
> Come on you FU experts. What is the story on the
> "McLean Tavern" next to the Three Pigs? The sign
> says "OPening Soon" for well over a year.

They were having trouble securing permits and liquor license. I have heard it is finally going to open by the end of the year.

Posted by: Rodrod ()
Date: June 21, 2010 09:42PM

I'll drink to that

Posted by: Katie ()
Date: September 14, 2010 10:44PM

Does anyone remember the old Dunkin Donuts? It used to be where the Chevy Chase bank is now, right across from Chicken out.

Also, I don't remember a bowling ally at ALL in Mclean! My dad owns his out business right next to the Animal Hospital on Chain Bridge and has been there for almost 30 years now..

Also, Ichiban is the BEST restaurant in Mclean. Do miss Roy Rogers though- now J- Gilberts. One-Arch McDonalds closed down :( rumor is it's turning into a CHIPOTLE!!

Posted by: nb ()
Date: October 04, 2010 11:18PM

before it was dunkin donuts ..it was a Jack in the Box...

Posted by: missing old times ()
Date: October 11, 2010 03:49PM

Hell we used to have a movie theater, so did Vienna. Now it's snob hill

Posted by: Andrij ()
Date: November 02, 2010 11:38AM

I miss old McLean. Im 25 and I remember most of this stuff. McKeivers is still a good place to go, nice regulars, nice staff, yada yada. I miss walking through McLean and people actually saying hello to each other. Did the nice people move out and the super exclusive Mercedes driving douche yuppies move in? Rah!

Posted by: waza ()
Date: March 25, 2011 03:12AM

McLean has moved backwards in the past 20 years. Look at how life as flourished in Ballston. Clarenden. Bethesda. U Street. even the exurban sprawl. Yet here in McLean we've been happy to replace our bars, bowling alleys, theatres, duncan donuts, and hell yeah - even a Gentleman's Club - with what? Banks, Banks, more banks, gas stations, nail places, dry-cleaners... You know what pedestrian soul left in this sad cocoon was literally ripped out its ass when the town approved a mini-storage facility, that'll turn Mclean into be a great little 24x7 meth-lab / drug depot stopping point off I-95. sad. Speak up if you agree.

Posted by: Gas Stations ??? ()
Date: March 25, 2011 01:51PM

The Sarbucks was a Shell Station,the building next to McLean Service was a Scotts, the park near Mcd's was an Exxon, & the Italian place near the old Mcd's was a Texaco ...... If you want bitch about something how about why wont they bring back Jack in the box or Roy Rogers ? We dont need another crappy chicken place for gods sake ..........

Posted by: old beltway bandit ()
Date: March 27, 2011 09:56AM

Used to hit Charley's regularly for Happy Hour...loved the back room with the fireplace. Had to time it so you left before the VP's who'd pay the tab! The good old days of fat Navy contracts were very good to us!

Posted by: HowlerMonkey ()
Date: April 20, 2011 12:11AM

I remember when "the pub" off of the chinese restraunt was called "the goalpost" and had a latina hottie from uraguay as bartender.

Had a lot of good dart games there and took a few darts in the body after talking smack when drinking with my german buddies Holger and his brother's friends after a long day of working at Carter's amoco.

Posted by: McLean native ()
Date: May 02, 2011 09:04PM

Actually Starbuckes was originally Stecklers Gulf Station. George's pub was original name of McKeevers. Roccos was a burger plac called Chips...the a roast beef place called Ful O Bull.....the Roccos.

Posted by: kardiac ()
Date: December 22, 2011 02:18PM

I remember when McKeevers was Georges and was across the hall. To the guy who said he had been in McLean 30 years and didnt remember the bowling ally, you are just a youngster. I bowled on those lanes and bought my first cigs from the machine near the door. There was a Highs and across from McDonalds a terrific headshop

Posted by: Van Steen ()
Date: March 24, 2012 09:54PM

All of this is mindblowing. I can't believe we used to have a bowling alley, gentlemen's club and a head shop! Life sounds drastically different 20/30 years ago. Any other places that used to be different? This thread needs to stay alive.

Posted by: Diane ()
Date: July 14, 2012 12:40AM

luther Wrote:
> O'Tool's and Pub ( back then it was the Pikestaff)
> were HUGE spook hangouts. Bill O'Toole's wife,
> Pat, was a cashier at A&P and a friend of my mom,
> that's how i know. This was in the mid 70's.
> Pat used to complain that O'Toole's never made any
> money because Bill drank up all the profits.
>
> Also, then it was Dunphy's and Jim Dunphy, in a
> shocking development, was a world-class drunk, and
> that huge black-haired bartender used to lock the
> door at 1:45-ish and whoever was still inside
> drank free til she wanted to leave. We used to
> wait by the door and all rush out and leave
> scatter-shot, reasoning that a cop could only pull
> over 1 of us. One night of that i wrecked my
> father's cadillac into a car parked in a driveway
> on Wrightson. Now that i think about it, her
> name was Janet, and after Dunphy's she worked at
> Cricket's, in that strip mall where the Pizza hut
> used to be, behind where McKeever's is.

Didn't Evan's Farm at least serve drinks when it existed? And I'm so old that I remember a 'Swap Shop' in the field which became the shopping center with Balduchi's - and yes, that shopping center did have a butcher's shop and a movie theater which became a Popeye's for a short while. Can you believe that there was even an old record store in a long gone two-story building (around the area of the 'new' firehouse and the BP, which was an Esso Station/early 60s). Or is this all a dream?

Posted by: Anne of Orlean ()
Date: June 25, 2014 12:56PM

McLean Bowling Center opened ca. 1959. Owners Mark and Annabel Rhinehart, big land owners at the time. Very, very popular place in 1960s and 1970s--lots and lots of leagues with regular folk and judges and politicians, etc. Good restaurant food, particularly Mrs. Rhinehart's (mother of Mark) clam chowder served every Friday.

Posted by: Think Again ()
Date: June 25, 2014 05:08PM

No it wasn't .....
Attachments:
Esso.jpg

Posted by: McLeanTownie4Evs ()
Date: September 18, 2014 02:55AM

I am ashamed to know of the seediest places in Mclean such as Le Pub.

Ate at McKeever's for the first time. Shocking I've never ate here in all the years, but decided to give it a go. DISGUSTING. Shepherd's pie was nothing but a makeover of a taco salad with mashed potatoes. The wings were fatty, cold and petrified in some places. MCLEAN SHOULDN'T HAVE SHIT ASS PLACES LIKE THIS. Again, not many people still have their taste buds in McLean but this shit was expensive. If you like this place, please kill yourself.

Posted by: Tjtce ()
Date: November 21, 2014 10:29PM

Rod Wrote:
> Ya, around the corner from Kazan's. I remember the
> guy, Rudy I think, who started that place from a
> place called for many years Steak in a Sack. Rudy
> was Armenian and had some great spices. At first
> he just sold delicious lamb sandwitches.
>
> I used to go to the Chinese place when I used to
> live on Cedar Avenue late at night. It was quite a
> diverse crowd. It has the distinction of still
> being there.
>
> Most all of them are....gone with the wind, as am
> I. Once I was sitting in O'Tools and one of the
> regulars said to me, "Well everyone except you has
> gotten DWI." So maybe it's just as well.-Rod

If you lived on Cedar Lane late at night, where did you live at other times of the day (and don't tell me "at work").

Posted by: Mclean native ()
Date: November 25, 2014 01:38AM

if you think mckeevers is good then you have no taste and or your are a hick. They charge gourmet prices for shit food. It's a disgrace. The reason nothing decent can open is Mclean is due to the permit process. So all the old shit still remains and we can only have chains or places that have the time and money to do so. We'll have to wait until all the old biddies die off to get some decent spots.

Posted by: Patrickirish54 ()
Date: January 21, 2015 10:52PM

Great picture in the clipping. On the corner on the left out of the picture was the big blue house which became a real estate office. The brick building in the picture I think was a furniture store. Behind it would be the McDonalds

Posted by: Luther ()
Date: October 14, 2015 06:31PM

Diane Wrote:

>
>
> Didn't Evan's Farm at least serve drinks when it
> existed?

Yes, the Sitting Duck Pub.

Posted by: LG ()
Date: February 22, 2016 06:43PM

I think McLean needs some new bars. I was hoping a brew pub would go in at the old Giant Gourmet. It looks like the place is getting ready to open. No idea yet what will go in there.

Posted by: Thomas Briggs ()
Date: May 28, 2016 11:05AM

Does anyone remember or have an image of the "Cosmos Command" patch?

"The Cosmos Tabernacle Choir was composed of CIA agents who used to meet in the Cosmos Bar near the American Embassy in Saigon. Their songs tended to be both cynical and humorous; "Counting Geckos on the Wall," "Deck the Halls with Victor Charlie" and "I Feel Like a Coup Is Coming On." The group even had a Cosmos Command patch made, showing crossed "33" beer bottles over an explosion, which can still be seen on the walls of bars in McLean and Langley (Allen 1988)."

Posted by: Fore ()
Date: December 24, 2017 06:22PM

Bowling alley closed down mid to late 80s.

Highlanders stole the shoes before they emptied it out.

Posted by: Alley shoes ()
Date: October 11, 2019 10:34PM

Fore Wrote:
> Bowling alley closed down mid to late 80s.
>
> Highlanders stole the shoes before they emptied it
> out.

Iirc, alley closed in 1986.

Jeff smith died long ago

Posted by: Caroline G ()
Date: February 12, 2020 10:28AM

I grew up in McLean during the 60's and 70's. My father worked for "the agency". I am writing a book and a portion is set in McLean during that time.

The Pikestaff was a likely place for the agency people to lunch. Does anyone know when it closed or have any information, memories or pictures? The last time I was there was a late dinner in 1978.

I am headed over there today to refresh my feelings!

Posted by: Caroline G ()
Date: February 12, 2020 10:55AM

I have bits of memory of the intersection looking like that. Does anyone recall when there was a post office and library in the brick building across from the McDonald's? That would have been in the early 1960's.

Posted by: Rod K ()
Date: February 12, 2020 05:13PM

I remember the library. And I remember the Pikestaff. That and Evans Farm Inn were the prime eateries. My dad did too. Those were the days my friend! Da de da da da.....

Posted by: damien ()
Date: September 05, 2020 01:16AM

Rod K (), I could tell you some story's about all the joints mentioned here, in this thread. The people I met, the food I consumed, the drinks I consumed. I was a native of Fairfax City area, but had commute to McLean. I would need to consult with many lawyers and "Deep State" officials to even consider publishing anything on this forum or a book. Just mostly fond memories of the area, the nice folks I met, and the really treasonous folks, I met and, at the time, knowing now, I would have killed without a heartbeat of remorse.

Posted by: damien ()
Date: September 06, 2020 09:48PM

Hun, be careful what you ask for. Enough said.

Posted by: Jack L. ()
Date: September 25, 2020 10:50AM

Sorry if these aren't all bars. I worked for MITRE from 1965 to 2000 and we're still around, in Arlington. A colleague and I in the 70's used to alternate between O'Toole's, Szechuan-Hunan Taste (great martinis!), now El Tio, and The Vienna Inn with its chili dogs and surly waitresses.

I remember the first time we had lunch at O'Toole's, when we each ordered a burger and fries. They suggested we start with one order of fries -- no wonder, it was a huge plateful! I also remember the flag on the wall: "Vietnam Games -- Second Place." Those CIA guys had a sense of humor.

I haven't seen The Joshua Tree mentioned yet, another place we used to go sometimes -- later Charley's, now J. Gilberts. Then there was the Chinese restaurant that moved across from McKeever's after being evicted for Balducci's, then it was the Mistral, now Assaggi Osteria. And the Petit Mistral, now Joe's Burgers.

And The Dory restaurant, then the Mirabelle, at the other end of the shopping center from Balducci's. I found the photo of the Dory matchbook cover on eBay -- someone had already bought it -- but the Mirabelle one is mine. My wife loves tĂȘte de veau, and whenever the chef got in a calves head, he called her! And one summer on vacation in France we met the Maitre d' in Alsace where he was having his mother's house fixed up. Over there he had one of those futuristic Citroens with the pneumatic suspension. But I digress.

It's a shame that so many of these are long gone, but at least we enjoyed them while they were still around!
Attachments:
Match covers.jpg

Posted by: Troop 897 ()
Date: November 08, 2020 01:22PM

Patrickirish54 Wrote:
> Great picture in the clipping. On the corner on
> the left out of the picture was the big blue house
> which became a real estate office. The brick
> building in the picture I think was a furniture
> store. Behind it would be the McDonalds

The big blue house was white before it was blue. My Scoutmaster's wife was born in that house.

Posted by: Historical ()
Date: September 13, 2023 05:47AM

McLean

Posted by: McLean sucks cock ()
Date: November 27, 2023 08:34AM

Yes all assholes live in McLean. They can suck my cock.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.