HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Merrifield/Dunn Loring :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
INOVA Fairfax Traffic Woes
Posted by: Camelot ()
Date: July 23, 2014 05:23PM

Inova fairfax managed to convince the FFX Board of supervisors to allow them to move their main entrance to Gallows Road and double their bed space by building a new tower. However no traffic improvements have been made.

Gallows has had traffic problems for years, and the southbound traffic (from merrifield towards I495) is backed up from 50 to Woodburn between 2 and 6pm daily. The traffic off of I495S to Gallows takes 3 to 4 light cycles to get off the beltway and onto gallows or wooburn in the evenings.

How is it that the hospital has been granted freedom to build without paying for the requisite roadway improvements that are required. Gallows needs to be 3 thru lanes in each direction with additional turn lanes in the span between 50 and Woodburn. Woodburn needs to be 2 lanes in each direction from the hospital main entrance to Gallows. The timing on the Gallows Woodburn light needs adjustment. The bridge on woodburn road needs to be raised so that it doesn't flood out each time it rains.

To make matters worse, Mason distric supervisor Gross couldn't care less because woodburn road is the boundary of her district. Providence supervisor couldnt care less becasue woodburn is the boundary of her district. EVERY supervisor should care becase INOVA Fairfax is the tertiary level care facility for the northern virginia area. How many people have unnecessarily died due to being stuck in traffic on 50 or on the gallows road beltway exit. This has to stop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: INOVA Fairfax Traffic Woes
Posted by: Woodburn Condo resident ()
Date: October 11, 2014 09:44AM

I have been talking with a condo board member - not only has the increased traffic become a huge nuisance, it is extremely dangerous. There have been multiple car-car accidents at or near the entrance of our condo complex, and there have also been people sideswiped while walking (crossing) the street. So many blind entrances near the intersection of Gallows/woodburn.

The bulk of the problem during both rush hours and during the day is cut-through traffic from 236 to Gallows to avoid beltway traffic/using HOT Lanes. I see this as I exit the condo as I head towards gallows/outer loop for work- 9 out of 10 people clogging Woodburn Road are turning R on Gallows, and L onto the inner loop ramp.

A solution? Have the HOAs of Camelot, Woodburn Village, and Strathmeade petition VDOT to install stop signs and speed tables (Raised parts of the road that slow general traffic but are quickly navigatable by ambulances, etc.) along Woodburn road from Tobin Road to St. Ambrose church. This will not affect traffic to the hospital, to the churches, or local traffic, but will discourage the cut through traffic.

This solution was suggested to me by a VDOT engineer/manager, what needs to happen is for all 3 Hoas to get together and petition VDOT. a good way to make this happen would be to have the Camelot PTA spearhead this in the name of safety.

Re: INOVA Fairfax Traffic Woes
Posted by: Hating life ()
Date: November 09, 2014 08:19PM

Getting off the inner loop ramp onto Gallows, the turn lane to get onto woodburn is extending almost all the way to the off ramp...lfriggin waiting through 3-4 light cycles...don't tell me all those people are going to the Hospital or live back in those neighborhood, it's massive cut-through traffic. Oh and is INOVA planning to extend their turn lane all the way up to Gallows? What's with the Jersey walls?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.