HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FCPD police lights
Posted by: vip55 ()
Date: December 01, 2005 10:15PM

Anyone else notice that FCPD is running all blue lights now?? Just wondering why that was since most area's have red/blue for Police.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPD police lights
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: December 02, 2005 01:10AM

yeah, that's their "w3 r 1337" signal because you know, all blue is the coolest.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: tina ()
Date: December 02, 2005 07:52PM

And its cheaper : P

Posted by: bizkit ()
Date: December 03, 2005 01:05AM

vip55 wrote :

Anyone else notice that FCPD is running all blue lights now?? Just wondering why that was since most area's have red/blue for Police.

I thought Fairfax was one of the only agencies in the area that was running the red/blue combination. State PD, Fairfax City and GMU police have had the all-blue lights for a long time. I agree with Tina .. it's probably cheaper. (She should know ... she's a cop).

Posted by: Me ()
Date: December 03, 2005 05:07PM

It's actually a statewide thing. A couple years ago, the state mandated that all police vehicles run blue lights, fire/rescue run red lights, and a few weird ones like I think command vehicles are supposed to run green.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: December 03, 2005 06:25PM

What about prostitutes, do they have to pick a new color now? Red lights are taken.

Date: December 03, 2005 07:09PM

Me Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's actually a statewide thing. A couple years
> ago, the state mandated that all police vehicles
> run blue lights, fire/rescue run red lights, and a
> few weird ones like I think command vehicles are
> supposed to run green.

That makes sense. Guess it's just different for every state.

BTW..those blue LED lightbars are freakin' bright.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2005 07:10PM by vip55.

Posted by: MC ()
Date: December 05, 2005 12:29AM

The FCPD have the most expensive light bars on their cars or suvs the LED type.

Posted by: yourmom420 ()
Date: December 05, 2005 10:39AM

all cops r pigs, i dont care wut colur lights they got now, they still look the same from the back of the cop car

Posted by: notmymom ()
Date: December 05, 2005 11:46AM

they used to run red and blue thinking red was easier to see in daylight and blue easier at night. after some tests, they found blue was just as visible at any time. the newest light bars are clear when they're not on and also have a feature you can activate which will put a directional yellow pattern on the rear display... oh, and i almost forgot, the obligatory, "SQUEEEEEE!! SQUEEEEEEE!!! oink oink oink..."

-that is all-

Posted by: notmymom ()
Date: December 05, 2005 11:47AM

oh, one more thing: the lights all look the same color from the front of the cop car too... interesting

Posted by: JonathanD ()
Date: December 05, 2005 02:29PM

Ive heard before that the red was removed because it causes seizures.

Date: December 05, 2005 02:38PM

that may be scientifically possible, but that would be a major irony... since ambulances still use the red lights, then only ambulances would cause the seizures.

In the movie "the andromeda strain" one of the scientists has epilepsy and does have a seizure due to a blinking red warning light...

Posted by: darbrewe ()
Date: December 05, 2005 03:04PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2015 04:16AM by darbrewe.

Date: December 05, 2005 03:45PM

that line was a lot funnier the first ten times it was used

not that I can debate my mom is a whore, she's at least an expensive whore

Date: December 05, 2005 10:21PM

JonathanD Wrote:
> Ive heard before that the red was removed because
> it causes seizures.

there is some science to that logic as flashes between blue and red at certain intervals can cause seizures. same thing happened in a pokemon episode.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Ted Schlamme ()
Date: December 05, 2005 10:31PM

I thought it was "sailor moon", not that I was watching from four feet away with my pants around my ankles or anything.

Posted by: bob ()
Date: December 06, 2005 05:10PM

Tina I don't know what the hell you are talking about, there is no way in hell red lights whether it be strobe, halogen, or LED are cheaper than blue lights. The old lightbars were a strobe tube with a colored lense - it costs NO more or NO less to make a red lens than a blue lens. The same goes with the even older halogen rotator bars. Further, LEDs are significantly CHEAPER with red as they utilize a more common noble gas to produce the red color in comparison to the blue. Go to any emergency vehicle lighting website and you will see that blue and white LEDs are signficantly more expensive. In addition the lightbars the county is now using are custom made by Tomar and run about $1300 more than the older Tomar strobe bars - if you are a cop you should know this.

Date: December 06, 2005 06:55PM

Good information there Bob. Are you a cop?

I kinda think the Jetsonic lightbars look better then the TOMAR imo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2005 06:58PM by vip55.

Date: December 06, 2005 08:30PM

Bob's not a cop, but he plays one on tv and occasionally in real life when he's been drinking heavily or is at an S&M club.

Posted by: bob ()
Date: December 07, 2005 03:45PM

I'm not a cop, I work Pierce Mfg (a fire engine manufacturer)... I am a mechanical engineer. In my opinion the Jetsonic bars did look better than the Tomar STROBE bars, the Jetsonic bars were much more sleep and seemed to fit the P-71s much better (more streamlined). The blue/red or just blue strobe Tomar bars they are getting rid off were fairly 'boxy' and made the vehicle look less aggressive; although, I can assure you the LED bars they use now certainly make the car look very aggressive and nice (it is a completely clear and slick looking lightbar). We are very happy with the Tomar bars as many new ambulances and even commercial class pumpers are being retrofitted with them - although they are quite expensive.

The reason the county (like almost every other county) has switched to all blue lighting is very simple - criminals and the public. Criminals are very stupid people - that should be obvious, if they are dumb enough to break the law and get caught, they must not be very bright. Usually, and I say USUALLY with a big USUALLY. The public is even worse, criminals usually have some insight in public service as they are usually trying to avoid it. Bottom line these people are completely oblivious to the different realms of public safety - all they know is blue lights = police and red lights = fire department. If they see a red light flashing on a POLICE car than they are going to think a ambulance or fire engine has something to do with the police and is going to get them in trouble - which is not a firefighter/emts job. It has nothing to do with cost, nothing to do with visibility and safety measures in terms of traffc - all it has to do with AGENCY DIFFERENTIATION.

Date: December 07, 2005 06:42PM

But you ARE into S&M, right Bob?

I was hoping we could hang out, have a beer, swap stories and techniques... maybe try each other's uniforms on...

Date: December 07, 2005 09:47PM

Bob, you anwsered my question. Thank you for the information.

I totally agree with the 'boxy' and less aggressive comment. The cruiser's just don't look as 'clean' imo.

Also, aren't the LED tomar's the same as the strobe lightbar's - only difference being that they are clear instead of red/blue all blue? And did you say that they are getting rid of the tomar's? I thought they had just switched over to them? :shrugs:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2005 10:42PM by vip55.

Date: December 07, 2005 10:06PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2015 04:50AM by darbrewe.

Date: December 08, 2005 04:03AM

darbrewe,
  what's the deal with being a jerk to RESton Peace? you seemed to have taken a real loathing for him.

Date: December 08, 2005 04:42PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2015 04:13AM by darbrewe.

Posted by: bored_at_work ()
Date: December 08, 2005 05:22PM

darbrewe Wrote:
> ResTon said: I was hoping we could hang out, have
> a beer, swap spit, do some teabagging... maybe try
> each other's uniforms on...

wow, you are wihout a doubt a self-loathing closet homo, darbrewe. you don't know it, but a good pounding in the butt would make you a happier person.

Date: December 08, 2005 05:59PM

bored, I'm sure darbrewe will have some insightful comments and a snappy comeback in five or six days, when he has thought things over.

Date: December 09, 2005 05:12PM

darbrewe Wrote:
> whats it to you Grabass, shut your cake hole
> already

umm... i was just asking. i just think it's kind of childish to be namecalling and such.

Date: December 09, 2005 10:10PM

At first I was a little irritated by it, because he's stuck in junior high mode and doesn't want normal discourse to occur, but it's pretty clear darbrewe either has a thing for me (self-loathing homo as mentioned), or he's just a big fan and can't stop giving me the attention I clearly love to receive.

Because as everyone knows, I LOVE attention, especially from the Don and Mike kiddie-robot crowd. SUPERSTAR... I am a superstar. At first you hate the hate but then.... you need it, like a line of coke or a heroine injection.

Plus it got "kinda hard to care" after he made it clear his best responses are akin to "you're a homo". I have no doubt we're dealing with a low SAT scorer when we deal with darbrewe.

Date: December 10, 2005 05:01AM

RESton Peace,
  my personal thoughts are that he may have smoked a little too much weed and is a stoner, perhaps even currently. i could be completely wrong though. however, im not sure what to make of him calling me "Grabass." though i do agree his insults lack creativity. im hoping that as an attention whore, you appreciate my attention. :)

Posted by: v ()
Date: December 10, 2005 05:46PM

Man, you all are way off-topic....

Posted by: stan ()
Date: December 10, 2005 06:46PM

v Wrote:
> Man, you all are way off-topic....

Welcome to ffx underground!

Date: December 10, 2005 08:51PM

I do appreciate Gravis, but why all the stoner hate?

I long to be stoned but alas, I've been the model of drug-free living for several weeks now, but that may end soon. Who knows.

Date: December 10, 2005 09:29PM

RESton Peace,
  it's not hate so much as a possibility. im specifically talking of they type of stoner that has melted his brain in key years of developement. this would retard mental development thus could result in a permanent junior high or high school mentality. im talking about the person that you can tell is a MASSIVE stoner when he laughs. ive met people like this and i pity them. there is a difference from someone who smokes weed and someone who has smoked very heavily, like daily, in their teens even if they dont smoke any longer. it's the whole "you brain becomes cement at 18" deal. with the clear ability to express yourself with a decent vocabulary, i can tell you are not one of these people. i dont hate people... except the dutch... i dont speak freaky-deaky dutch!

Date: December 10, 2005 09:39PM

cool, you wanna score a bag and get high then gravis?

lol

Date: December 11, 2005 01:31AM

right... perhaps you should ask my probation officer if it's ok. :P

Date: December 11, 2005 01:14PM

ok, when do you get off probation?

- or -

Gimme that bitch's number, I'll smoke that bitch up and make them see reason... you'll be getting high in no time.

Date: December 11, 2005 01:15PM

my probation officer was really quite hot... I didn't even mind when she had to violate me...

hmm double entendre...

Posted by: Flasher ()
Date: October 24, 2013 07:33PM

The police lights are blue now?

Posted by: VFW ()
Date: October 24, 2013 07:35PM

Thank you for awakening the corpse of an EIGHT YEAR OLD THREAD.

Posted by: Tax Payer ()
Date: October 26, 2013 08:57PM

Nice answer Bob. I don't care just as long as they get the job done and in a safe manner. Bob, Why didn't Peirce sell engines to Alexandria?

Posted by: Yuk ()
Date: October 28, 2013 01:36PM

FCPD and the VSP are two agencies that do their emergency lights on the cheap. No two FCPD vehicles are outfitted the same and they use el-cheapo light bars. Even DCMPD has some cool ones.

Posted by: Tomgreen ()
Date: October 29, 2013 03:03AM

Prince William still uses red and blue lights.....8 years after this thread started.

Posted by: Games FFXUers Play. ()
Date: October 29, 2013 03:13AM

VFW Wrote:
> Thank you for awakening the corpse of an EIGHT
> YEAR OLD THREAD.

The resurrectionist was just playing the game of "Find the oldest thread on FFXU and make an asinine comment on it to bump it to the main page."

Posted by: Old school ()
Date: October 29, 2013 03:55AM

Is Brett davenport a cop?

Posted by: Is....... ()
Date: October 29, 2013 03:56AM

Is Tyler beach a cop also?....

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.