HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
elementary school field day
Posted by: Mohammed ()
Date: June 11, 2012 03:22PM

My son Ali, is a 3rd grader at Beach Tree Elementary School in Falls Church, VA. he just came home from school and I asked him how was school, he said great we had field day. Then I asked him who won, and he said "WE ALL WON" Why is FCPS trying to make our school wimps? why can't they tell teach our kids that sometimes you would win and sometimes you will lose instant of everyone winning.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: elementary school field day
Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: June 11, 2012 03:23PM

Mohammed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My son Ali, is a 3rd grader at Beach Tree
> Elementary School in Falls Church, VA. he just
> came home from school and I asked him how was
> school, he said great we had field day. Then I
> asked him who won, and he said "WE ALL WON" Why
> is FCPS trying to make our school wimps? why
> can't they tell teach our kids that sometimes you
> would win and sometimes you will lose instant of
> everyone winning.

because your son is a loser

ROFLMAO!!!!!
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: June 11, 2012 03:24PM

props for Pootawn!!!!
Attachments:
You Win an Internet.jpg

Posted by: Michael Corleone ()
Date: June 11, 2012 03:27PM

Mohammed Wrote:
> My son Ali, is a 3rd grader at Beach Tree
> Elementary School in Falls Church, VA. he just
> came home from school and I asked him how was
> school, he said great we had field day. Then I
> asked him who won, and he said "WE ALL WON" Why
> is FCPS trying to make our school wimps? why
> can't they tell teach our kids that sometimes you
> would win and sometimes you will lose instant of
> everyone winning.

"This is the price you pay for the life you have chosen."

In short Mohammed, this is how FCPD schools operate. So, you can either choose to accept it or move somewhere where the schools are run to your satisfaction. Here's what WON'T solve your problem...complaining about it on an Internet forum.

Posted by: kdubz ()
Date: June 11, 2012 03:31PM

Mohammed, there was a winner and a loser at your kid's Field Day. The teachers only told everyone from the losing team that everyone was a winner.

Posted by: Fu ()
Date: June 11, 2012 03:48PM

If you don't like "everyone being a winner" at your kids school perhaps you should move back to Pakistan where everyone is a loser.

Date: June 11, 2012 04:14PM

Fu Wrote:
> If you don't like "everyone being a winner" at
> your kids school perhaps you should move back to
> Pakistan where everyone is a loser.

WOW!!!! In Pakistan we had Field day, and our teachers told us who won and who lost. I thought a lot of more people would agree with me but, I guess I am wrong.

Posted by: Trolly mctrollson? ()
Date: June 11, 2012 04:20PM

If your post was for real... I went to Elem. school here over 20 years ago and our feild day was the same. Just goofing around outside doing various things. If I wanted competition I went home and called all my friends to play Football, street hockey or basketball.

Only idiots let schools raise their kids. But well, I guess that's what we are now.

My parents taught me to read, do math, compete and I went to school and put it to use following the instruction of the teachers. My parents raised me not FCPS.

Correction my parents raised me with help from myself! I spent almost every sunny moment OUTSIDE competing with my friends due to our own interest in playing games where we could develop skills and learn to win and lose.

We also were allowed to go anywhere in the neighborhood anytime we wanted unlike you loser parents who strap leashes and phones to their kids because they read a story of a kid abducted in IOWA.

There were just as many horrible things that could happen back then just people had a bit more inherint faith in one another to allow their kids to grow up.

When someone points a finger I find the quickest way to the root of the problem is to head in the exact opposite direction of the finger!

I hope you have more kids so I can beat them at all they do!

Date: June 11, 2012 04:22PM

I do agree with you. This is the new age where kids aren't allowed to be told they lost. We have to make kids feel good about themselves even if they need improvement. This is the new liberal way. Hell, some teams don't even keep scores anymore during sporting events.

This is wrong, we're teaching kids everyone is created equal in every aspect. People are not equal in their abilities. I'm bad at many things and I'm fine with that. There are also many things that I'm great at. This goes for most of the population.

For instance, I have no idea how to ride a camel which I'm sure your great at. I'm also a pretty decent driver which it's probably safe to assume your not.

Date: June 11, 2012 04:23PM

I heard in Pakistan you are declared a winner if you can find a field!

Do more research before you go acting all better than rest of the world by being from one of the worst places in it.

Date: June 11, 2012 04:27PM

Liberal?
Way to hide behind a word 1% of people truly understand.
Parents operate all the youth sports not schools.

Kids play their own games at recess they keep score.
Field day is NOT the fucking olympics, it NEVER WAS.
we would get timed in things (this is WAY over 20 yrs ago in this county believe it or not), goof around with a parachute, play tug a war (many times so everyone lost and won), and just be excited to have the year over as that's what field day signified.

Go fix your peers who run the youth leagues and leave field day alone assholes.

I liked field day in the 80's and that shit's still probably the same.

IF your kids had friends and were allowed to do shit on their own they'd be playing tackle football as we speak... oops, nevermind. shouldn't you be texting them it's been 5 minutes?

Date: June 11, 2012 04:30PM

shit, a black man starts dancing and we end up with a 2,000 message thread!!

Hmmmmmmmm

good luck with those kids!

Posted by: herplederple ()
Date: June 11, 2012 04:35PM

I went to elementary school in FCPS 10-15 years ago, and at least at my school, "field day" wasn't meant to be a competitive event. It was more supposed to be "Hey, it's June, it's nice out and school is almost over, so take a break from schoolwork and go play outside for a day." There would just kind of be various activities set up outside and you could go between them however you wanted at your own pace, and there weren't really teams, so I'm not sure how "winning" and "losing" would've worked anyway. But even so, in regular gym class, we'd have team sports where people would win and lose.

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: June 11, 2012 04:37PM

Hilarious that dodgeball and tug of war arent' allowed anymore.

Date: June 11, 2012 04:40PM

When I spoke of keeping score during sporting events I wasn't referring to field day. I was referring to....um.... sporting events and....um.... keeping score.

We probably agree more then it seems. Schools have nothing to do with the sporting teams and your right the parents run them. My wife, who happens to be a teacher, and I talk about the schools all the time. Many of these school event are run by the PTA. At a minimum, the PTA is at least involved. The PTA is made up of the same parents running the sporting teams. There is your common denominator....

Parents are pretty much raising pussies these days. No one teaches competition anymore and it's sad. Part of the problem is kids grow up on video games and don't play outside anymore when I learned how to socialize and a little about competition.

Date: June 11, 2012 04:43PM

It's hilarious that two games NOBODY plays on their own aren't allowed?
If you have a group of 14 kids in the neighborhood you play FOOTBALL, KICKBALL, CAPTURE THE FLAG, BASKETBALL, or something fun so who cares.

BUT I will agree, parents ruined dodgeball for that one kid who liked it by complaining and suing over Jenny's broken nose. Jenny got blood on her iphone while texting 5 minutes after it happened even though the nurse is completely able to handle a standard bloody nose.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: June 11, 2012 04:44PM

This isn't how FCPS schools operate. It is how SOME of the schools in FCPS operate. If you attend enough of those end of the quarter/end of the year ceremonies you will see that some schools really still encourage and reward achievement.

Posted by: meep ()
Date: June 11, 2012 05:24PM

I pray to god this is a troll post- please tell me a father has better things to do than post on a message board about field day. By the way, your son's school is BEECH TREE. Way to go, Dad!

Posted by: Infidel Warrior ()
Date: June 11, 2012 06:26PM

Mohammed Wrote:
> WOW!!!! In Pakistan we had Field day, and our
> teachers told us who won and who lost. I thought
> a lot of more people would agree with me but, I
> guess I am wrong.

In Pakistan, the kids are all sent outside to play on
Field Day. The winners are those who do not step on
a land mine, are not recruited by the Taliban, and
are not ass-raped by their older brothers or uncles
while outside. All in the name of Allah.

Posted by: uh ohhhh ()
Date: June 11, 2012 07:53PM

Infidel Warrior Wrote:
> Mohammed Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > WOW!!!! In Pakistan we had Field day, and our
> > teachers told us who won and who lost. I
> thought
> > a lot of more people would agree with me but, I
> > guess I am wrong.
>
> In Pakistan, the kids are all sent outside to play
> on
> Field Day. The winners are those who do not step
> on
> a land mine, are not recruited by the Taliban,
> and
> are not ass-raped by their older brothers or
> uncles
> while outside. All in the name of Allah.

Watch out Muhammad, INFIDEL WARRIOR is having a FIELD DAY with your posts!!!

Posted by: No hoops ()
Date: June 11, 2012 08:19PM

My son attends Va Run Elem.. After going to a few stations he went into the gym to play the basketball station. He was told that because a child had been injured during the previous running, that they shut it down for the rest of field day. Amazing.

Posted by: Too bad ()
Date: June 11, 2012 08:51PM

So sad.

Welcome to FCPS.

We care about your kids until we want to send them to prison for an Advil.

JD

Posted by: Spud Webb ()
Date: June 11, 2012 08:52PM

No hoops Wrote:
> My son attends Va Run Elem.. After going to a few
> stations he went into the gym to play the
> basketball station. He was told that because a
> child had been injured during the previous
> running, that they shut it down for the rest of
> field day. Amazing.

Glad that I grew up back in the day when gym teachers set up mini-tramps in front of the rim so that we could dunk. So a few heads got cracked on the backboard. That was all part of the fun and being able to laugh at your buddies while they were laid out on the floor. lol And nobody ever complained.

Posted by: Back in the day? ()
Date: June 11, 2012 08:58PM

We had a smoking court and we could hug and kiss in the OPEN!

Where are we going?

Where have we been?

Thanks FCPS for ruining all the fun.

Only four more days left till freedom.

Date: June 11, 2012 09:12PM

No hoops Wrote:
> My son attends Va Run Elem.. After going to a few
> stations he went into the gym to play the
> basketball station. He was told that because a
> child had been injured during the previous
> running, that they shut it down for the rest of
> field day. Amazing.

Glad to see someone agree with me.

Posted by: I am a douche. ()
Date: June 11, 2012 09:17PM

Hell, we use to play Lawn Darts during field day when I went to Hitchinson ES. That was usually after aw had acid balloon fights but before we the lumberjack competition.

Posted by: Still a lil Dizzy ()
Date: June 11, 2012 09:26PM

And you'd better be paying attention in gym class or the back of your head would be on the receiving end of a volleyball launched like a precision guided missle from across the gym by Coach. lol

Posted by: Did you dodgeball? ()
Date: June 11, 2012 09:37PM

Memories.

Remember picking teams?

I think we all turned out OK.

Learning about life before real life kicks you in the ass is a true lesson to be learned.

Maybe I am really old?

Posted by: shortsighted ()
Date: June 12, 2012 10:31AM

The school system is so big that to survive it has to bend to every squeeky wheel (YOU PARENTS) who act as if things were great "back in your day" but as soon as your own kid breaks a nail in basketball you are the first to raise an uproar... Thus policies change to accomodate the bullying taxpayers.

There is no secret society of FCPS employees giggling about how they can soften up your kids. It is all reaction to constant attack by litigious parents.

police yourselves before you join the pitchfork brigage for the wrong AND EASY reasons.

Posted by: oh and yes ()
Date: June 12, 2012 10:33AM

We're all impressed by how important you are to BOOZE, ALLEN, HAMILTON and how without those business trips where you cheat on your spouses this country would crumble!

We salute your service to our country!

Posted by: Dr. Phil ()
Date: June 12, 2012 12:41PM

oh and yes Wrote:
> We're all impressed by how important you are to
> BOOZE, ALLEN, HAMILTON and how without those
> business trips where you cheat on your spouses
> this country would crumble!
>
> We salute your service to our country!

So he cheated on you huh? That accounts for the bitterness.

Posted by: oh and yes ()
Date: June 12, 2012 11:39PM

haha no i'm a dude.
Just that's what they at least tell me they do. And seems kindof a waste of money since they toss around so many government contracts.

Posted by: Field day sucks ()
Date: June 13, 2012 01:53AM

Field day is totally different now. I think it started 15 years ago. Everyone is a winner. No they're not. If you don't want kids to come in first in sports than give them all As in the classroom so they don't feel like they're stupid. I mean we have to be fair. A's for everything forget working hard.

Posted by: behind the times ()
Date: June 13, 2012 08:01AM

We already do give them A's or close to for not working hard. I have had kids that did NOTHING and as soon as I started reporting their low grades back to mom I felt like I was having war crimes brought against me.

This happens so much and is so scarey as the Admin will always cater to the parent at the risk of their job. At this point grades are starting to mean nothing.

I can't remember the last time a student was doing poorly and the parent didn't IMMEDIATLY assume I was the issue. It's getting crazy. I have almost stopped giving homework since it's all a charade. I have to teach my class like it's gym class and just pray they remember what we did the next time I see them.

I feel I'm dumbing down our kids but I feel I'm not allowed to do anything else.

Date: June 13, 2012 08:08AM

This is society nowadays. Everyone gets a ribbon. Nobody actually has to earn anything. Then you can go crying to mommy when your job is exported to China because of your self-entitled lazy ass attitude.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: go along to get along ()
Date: June 13, 2012 08:12AM

I understand your frustration. Admin is the problem for not standing up to the parents when their kids are not the angels they claim to be.
The everyone gets a trophy day ill prepares these kids for the real world and thus at age 25 they are still living at home.

Date: June 13, 2012 08:38AM

go along to get along Wrote:
> I understand your frustration. Admin is the
> problem for not standing up to the parents when
> their kids are not the angels they claim to be.
> The everyone gets a trophy day ill prepares these
> kids for the real world and thus at age 25 they
> are still living at home.

When I was a kid, field day consisted of 1st, 2nd, 3rd place and one honorable mention. You didn't win anything? Tough shit. I wasn't a great athlete as a kid, but I did manage to win 3rd place once in a while and that 3rd place meant a whole lot more to me knowing that I beat out other kids who didn't place.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Mr. Insensitive ()
Date: June 13, 2012 08:50AM

Mohammed, how did your kid do in the Magic Carpet races...
Attachments:
scuderiatororosso-magic-carpet.jpg

Posted by: just don't go ()
Date: June 13, 2012 02:18PM

I kept my kids home for field day this year. They hate it. The kids understand this 'everybody wins' BS and that all of the competition is dumbed down so it's not really a competition.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: June 13, 2012 04:12PM

NRA 75 Wrote:
> Hilarious that dodgeball and tug of war arent'
> allowed anymore.

What? Since when? That's crazy! I remember field day. We had potato sack races, relay races, tug of war, carry the egg on a spoon, etc. All competitive and yes, someone always won. They had ribbons for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for most of the events. Reading about the way things have changed makes me kind of sad.

Date: June 13, 2012 04:15PM

More Complete you ain't kidding. Its been in the past few years. Its all about the happy feel good bullshit that's not only making this county shittier(if possible), but the rest of the US.

A lot of gym teachers are pissed about it, along with parents. Yeah, I was always picked last, but it didn't ruin my life. Other shit might have, but its just getting more and more stupid with this self-esteem and no competition b.s.

Those are all fun. Carry the egg on the spoon, great times!

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: June 13, 2012 04:21PM

NRA 75 Wrote:
> More Complete you ain't kidding. Its been in the
> past few years. Its all about the happy feel good
> bullshit that's not only making this county
> shittier(if possible), but the rest of the US.

I can’t imagine this is happening everywhere. Is it? Other people in other parts of this country must have some sense. Then again, all it takes is for one wannabe lawyer parent to get litigious. One bad apple spoils the whole bunch. Unbelievable. :(

Date: June 13, 2012 04:28PM

You got it. That's the official reason. Although I have a feeling, also "do gooders" such as that pile of dung who's trying to petition Clemntyjori Park aka Cruela de Villa helicopter parent extraordinare are behind such efforts.

Hopefully the rest of the country isn't losing their moral set of balls like this.

Posted by: Infidel Warrior ()
Date: June 13, 2012 04:31PM

It's an enlightened age we're all living in.
Attachments:
Special-Ed_opt.jpg

Posted by: Euel Gibbons ()
Date: June 13, 2012 04:36PM

NRA 75 Wrote:
> Hilarious that dodgeball and tug of war arent'
> allowed anymore.

We played dodge ball with golf balls! And tug-of-war across a real open pit with mud at the bottom. We grew up ok and learned what it meant to be second best, all of which inspired us try harder and not to be losers! It's a bunch of fuckin' marshmallows being raised now. Sad.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.