HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Cox cable problem, is anybody else missing the broadcast channels?
Posted by: Snapple ()
Date: May 31, 2012 05:11PM

The broadcast channels are missing on my Cox analog cable. The cable channels are there, but not the local ABC, NBC etc affiliates. (Channels 33-39 on Cox.)

There was a power outage the other night during the storm, maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm asking here because I'm not actually paying for the cable, it was just there when I moved in, so I can't call Cox to complain. Does anyone else have these channels missing?

I do have a converter box I could use to get the broadcast channels, but it would be a pain to set that up and switch back and forth between them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cox cable problem, is anybody else missing the broadcast channels?
Posted by: 22030 ()
Date: May 31, 2012 05:16PM

They moved them; check 3, 4, 5, 7, and 9.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: May 31, 2012 06:06PM

The bill says they are moving as of May 30, it is good to read those once in a while.

Anyone else using a cable-ready TV and getting static-ridden channels 3 and 4? 3 I don't care about, but it will suck if I can no longer watch NBC because it has static in it. Same goes for all the TVs in my house so it isn't something with an odd channel 3/4 selector on it.

I see notes online about general electrical interference messing with whatever cable providers send down 3 and 4.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2012 07:24PM by justsayin.

Posted by: fourleaf ()
Date: May 31, 2012 09:46PM

The changed screwed my setup pretty good - I had to reprogram TiVo and try and get all the channels back I had before in the lineup.

I don't get bills - I pay online so I tend to miss notices that show up in paper bills.

Thinking of making the move to Verizon which is cheaper - just don't know how it will work with the TiVo. The DVR crap they give you is not anything like what I have now. The guide feature alone in TiVo has me hooked.

Date: May 31, 2012 10:15PM

Looking at FiOS now myself if I can't get those two channels to come in correctly. In my case FiOS will be pretty much the same price even with their DVR thrown in, it's just the pain in the ass of going through installation, working out initial billing problems, etc. Not paying Tivo's yearly fee will even everything out, I'm not picky on how the DVR works.

I re-ran the Tivo setup and all my scheduled recordings moved to the correct places.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: May 31, 2012 11:16PM

"Man fuck Cox im going to Verizon becuase Cox changed the channel lineup"

Posted by: boom goes the dynomite ()
Date: May 31, 2012 11:23PM

bro sounds pissed off about the channel change.

I would understand if the fleshlight that was order was still out for delivery, but a channel change?

Date: June 01, 2012 05:45PM

justsayin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone else using a cable-ready TV and getting
> static-ridden channels 3 and 4?

These channels were cleared of most interference today, hopefully the fix will stick.

Posted by: Near GM ()
Date: June 01, 2012 07:31PM

Just lost our HD for 1004 thru 1009 whichar NBC, ABC, FOX and CBS.

Posted by: Rob ()
Date: June 01, 2012 08:08PM

Thank you so much for this information. We've been wondering! I pay my bills online as well and never saw the message.

Posted by: same issue ()
Date: June 01, 2012 09:34PM

Near GM Wrote:
> Just lost our HD for 1004 thru 1009 whichar NBC,
> ABC, FOX and CBS.

Yeah I cant find those HD channels either, I assume they have just moved??

Posted by: SD ()
Date: June 02, 2012 08:53PM

Similar problem, but I have static on 7 and 9. Channels 3 and 4 come in good. Cox is coming out to check the problem.

Date: June 02, 2012 11:31PM

justsayin Wrote:
> justsayin Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Anyone else using a cable-ready TV and getting
> > static-ridden channels 3 and 4?
>
> These channels were cleared of most interference
> today, hopefully the fix will stick.

Bad again today, grr.

Posted by: CoxPlusTivo ()
Date: June 03, 2012 11:37AM

Yes, Cox changed the 34, 35, etc. to just 4, 5, etc. I had the same problem with my Tivo and Cox channel change. I don't have a cable box and love using my Tivo.

I just went to Tivo Central>Messages & Settings>Channels>Channel List. Then at the bottome it tells you to hit "Enter" if this is the wrong lineup.

Do that if you don't see WRC next to 4 or WTTG next to 5. It will connect your Tivo and fix the channels.

I'm watching the "Season Pass" shows I have to see if they will fix themselves.

Posted by: WIERD ()
Date: June 04, 2012 12:41PM

Just discovered myself this morning that the channels changed but this is really wierd because that TV is on my main floor but my tv in the basement was always channels 4,5,7,9. Some channels in the basement are different channels in other rooms of my house.

Any explanation on this?

Posted by: Fled ()
Date: June 05, 2012 06:56PM

Chanels 4, 5 and 7 are okay, but 9 goes to 9-1, which has nothing.

Date: June 05, 2012 07:01PM

You should still be able to get 9... are you entering it manually or are you using a remote to go up-channel and it skips 9?

Posted by: Helen R ()
Date: July 03, 2012 02:02PM

Anyone still have static on their local channels (4,5,7, 9)? Mine are still staticy and Cox can't seem to fix the problem.

Posted by: Lois ()
Date: May 11, 2013 08:03PM

I have been missing the first few channels for weeks now and am seriously very tired of it! 05/11/13

Posted by: Sold My Soul ()
Date: May 12, 2013 01:11AM

I've been a Cox customer since it was first available in my area, but after years of having a block of channels drop on one of our two tvs and On Demand issues on both, I've finally sold my soul to Fios last week. The one tv would constantly lose the same block of channels. We had techs come out 3 times over a few years and each time it would be fixed for a month or so and then the same channels would go out again. It was to the point were I had to reset the cable box daily and call the "automated help line" to send the "corrective signal" at least twice a week when just refreshing the box wouldn't work.

I got a pretty sweet deal with Fios, all the premiums, more regular channels, a HD box, faster internet, their digital phone, and a $500 Visa debit card for $65 less a month than Cox without the phone. Of course now if the power goes out for more than 8 hours I won't have a phone and I'm not sure just exactly how long this deal will last. I think it's one year on the premium channels and two years on the rest, but I'm still not sure. The evening after the installer left I noticed I didn't have HBO or Starz. I called and the person I spoke to said they weren't included in my deal, but he'd give them to me for 1/2 for a year if I wanted. I agreed, but when the girlfriend found out she was livid. She was the one who had made the deal and she called and raised Hell and got them included in the original price I wanted. We'll see what happens when the bills start to come.

So far, I really like the improved picture, and the internet is great, but I really hate the online tv guide and menus on Fios. The print is tiny. Also Fios doesn't have a sleep timer and you can't set the tv to come on as an alarm clock like you could with Cox. We'll see how long my great price lasts, but for now it looks like I'm a convert.

Posted by: Customer Service Rep ()
Date: May 12, 2013 03:23PM

Cox technical service is terrible. Fios is good. Both Cox and Verizon are abysmal when it comes to billing and/or customer service. Never believe anything they tell you over the phone. The phone reps have a good laugh after each call during which gullible consumers have been snowed. Hilarious when people actually believe they're going to get free stuff or reduced rates they've been promised. Suckers!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.