HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Help! Escaped Dog near Fairfax on 05/23/2012
Posted by: BoredGeorge ()
Date: May 24, 2012 09:18AM

A dog belonging to one of my neighbors got loose while at Town and Country Animal Hospital in Fairfax. The dog's name is Rachel. She was reportedly seen crossing Rt 50 a couple times yesterday near the animal hospital.

If you or someone you know have her, please contact Town and Country Animal Hospital @ (571) 432-0222 or Fairfax County Animal Control @ 703-691-2131.

If you see her somewhere, please post a message here.

Thanks
Attachments:
MissingDog.JPG

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help! Escaped Dog near Fairfax on 05/23/2012
Posted by: Kim Chin-Hwa ()
Date: May 24, 2012 09:35AM

You dog very good. My friend Dao-Ming Wang wants to know if you have cat?

Posted by: Sighting ()
Date: May 24, 2012 01:21PM

I spotted you're neighbors dog first on Chain Bridge trotting down the sidewalk toward the City of Fairfax. She turned left onto Kenmore and continued down the sidewalk turning left again onto University Drive back towards 29/50. I pulled over on University Dr between Ford Rd and Wood Rd and tried to get her to come to me. She would not. I lost her when she entered Van Dyke Park from University Dr between Ford & Wood via the little bridge or pathway by the stop sign. It was approximately 7:45 pm. I truly hope she is found. Best of luck.

Date: May 24, 2012 01:40PM

@Sighting

Thanks for your help.

Posted by: Lawsuit? ()
Date: May 24, 2012 01:43PM

Who was at fault? I hope they can find the dog and bring him home safe and sound.

Date: May 24, 2012 02:02PM

@Lawsuit

I don't know the details of what happened. The priority right now for the owners is to get the word out so that they can get the dog home as soon as possible.

Posted by: 17thWheelHasFurOnIT ()
Date: May 24, 2012 02:50PM

Well, nowI know where the fur came from...

Posted by: Kim Chin-Hwa ()
Date: May 24, 2012 04:58PM

17thWheelHasFurOnIT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, nowI know where the fur came from...

Why you joke about wasted food? Is not funny!

Posted by: OUCH ()
Date: May 24, 2012 05:51PM

Looks like the dog that was splattered on 495 near Braddock about 1130 today?

Posted by: Park Dong ()
Date: May 24, 2012 09:43PM

Thank you for free-range, most delecious dogmeat. My family like very much, but long hair hard to shave. Look forward to another!

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: May 24, 2012 09:46PM

@O.P. - any luck yet?

Date: May 24, 2012 10:10PM

@ Gordon Blvd

No luck so far. Only the one seemingly credible sighting earlier in this thread.

Posted by: boomer ()
Date: May 25, 2012 12:04AM

I hope you find your dog.

Posted by: chiefkeef ()
Date: May 25, 2012 12:57AM

Not suprising of that hospital to do that... they hire inexperienced employees to save a few bucks, just look what happens.

Date: May 25, 2012 01:04PM

Here's another picture of the missing dog: http://imgur.com/m17bS

Posted by: Helpful Advice ()
Date: May 25, 2012 01:07PM

Hopefully the snakes that Bleh are talking about aren't around the dog. Also, consider soliciting this person's help, as he seems to be well versed in Fairfax, walking around, keeping away from various reptiles that appear in town.

Posted by: CrosspointeAnimalhospital ()
Date: May 25, 2012 01:20PM

We have chosen to humanely euthanize Rachel, she was brought to us shortly after 9am this morning. We did a brief exam and determined it would be best to just euthanize. She is now resting next to Basie in our freezer.

Posted by: Sighting ()
Date: May 25, 2012 02:11PM

@BoredGeorge

I posted the sighting of Rachel earlier and continue to check back hoping to read she has since been found.

Are you using other media outlets to spread the word like lost pet websites, craigslist, etc? It may be helpful to create a facebook page in her name so updates, sightings, ways to help, etc are available through one source that can reach more credible people and can weed out the trash postings on this thread.

My sighting was definitely credible and my many attempts to coax Rachel to come to me were sincere. Broke my heart leaving without her.

Best.

Posted by: Walter Hopkins ()
Date: May 25, 2012 02:49PM

Damn. What is the animal hospital doing about this? Shouldn't they be out searching?

Posted by: ffax b c ()
Date: May 25, 2012 04:48PM

Bored George, I know from time to time WTOP will post pictures and stories about missing dogs. You should try them. I am being honest when I say make it as heart renching as possible, let them know how badly the family wants the dog back.

Date: May 25, 2012 05:10PM

@ffax b c - thanks for the tip, I look into it.

@Sighting - I created a similar post to this one on Reddit/r/nova. You're probably right that Facebook should be used as well. I'll see if the owners want to do that.

Posted by: oh that bitch ()
Date: May 25, 2012 05:20PM

yeah.... I seen this bitch! I keep her in the outside pen now.. u want the bitch back come get her im done with her! call 8043471823

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: May 25, 2012 05:21PM

@BoredGeorge-Have you tried contacting the neighborhood HOAs in the area where the dog escaped or has been spotted. Ours puts out email blasts for lost or found pets.

Posted by: HOA ()
Date: May 25, 2012 05:22PM

DO NOT CONTACT HOA unless you want to receive a fine!

Posted by: otis ()
Date: May 25, 2012 05:24PM

Date: May 25, 2012 05:35PM

@Bill.N. - I've contacted three so far. Only one has responded but it didn't sound like they were posting it to their email list :(

Posted by: Here boy ()
Date: May 25, 2012 05:38PM

I thought Lassie knew her way home!!!

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: May 25, 2012 07:13PM

HOA Wrote:
> DO NOT CONTACT HOA unless you want to receive a
> fine!

They can only fine you if you live there.

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: May 25, 2012 07:14PM

_
Attachments:
dawg.jpg

Posted by: HaHa ()
Date: May 26, 2012 01:39PM

Any news on this lost dog?

Date: May 26, 2012 02:09PM

The latest report I've gotten is a possible sighting from around noon on Friday, 5/25. Dog on Kingsbridge Drive headed east toward Draper Drive or Blake Lane.

Posted by: HaHa ()
Date: May 26, 2012 02:16PM

One of the shelters must have picked up this dog by now. Did you check?

Date: May 26, 2012 02:22PM

@HaHa - the owners are in contact with the local shelters, but no luck so far.

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: May 26, 2012 04:55PM

Loads of signs all over FFX. That's the best of my knowledge.

Posted by: boomer ()
Date: May 26, 2012 11:30PM

Maybe someone that does not speak English found the dog (just saying)

Date: May 27, 2012 08:25AM

There is now a facebook page for the lost dog: http://www.facebook.com/BringHomeRachel

Posted by: who cares ()
Date: May 27, 2012 10:27AM

its probably roadkill by now

Date: May 27, 2012 10:35AM

who cares Wrote:
> its probably roadkill by now

nah, yr thinking of yr sex life............

pic unrelated
Attachments:
LoLz.jpg

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: May 27, 2012 12:19PM

Posted by: Help-Find-Rachel ()
Date: May 27, 2012 01:25PM

BoredGeorge Wrote:
> There is now a facebook page for the lost dog:
> http://www.facebook.com/BringHomeRachel
Attachments:
379262_104711783003355_763099573_n.jpg

Posted by: FB user ()
Date: May 29, 2012 02:26PM

Also try the two Lost Dog pages on Facebook - Lost Dogs in Virginia and Lost Dogs in DC Metro Area.

I hope Rachel gets home soon!!!!!

Posted by: jungchungnotsohunglee ()
Date: May 31, 2012 01:14AM

Come to china star todai! We have the new special! New chef make it yummy for you!
I dont see your dog anywhere sorry!

Posted by: Near gm ()
Date: June 05, 2012 10:31PM

This dog is still missing. Last seen near University blvd. Check out the Facebook page.

Posted by: May ()
Date: June 05, 2012 11:10PM

Dont know if they may wanna try these

http://www.lostpetinvestigations.com/

http://ljttraining.com/

Posted by: Tippy Taco ()
Date: June 06, 2012 05:51AM

Remember everyone, we pay $3.25/lb for your unwanted pet! That so much better than Korean restaurant in town.

Posted by: ***Hope to Help*** ()
Date: June 07, 2012 08:28PM

Looks like the last sighting was on 6/3. Have you considered putting out food in an area to bait her? She must be hungry.

Here's a map with a list of sightings...

Point of Escape, 5/23

Rachel seized an opportunity to run like the wind. This was in the afternoon.

A little more than an hour later, she was seen in the front of Town & Country Animal Hospital, then observed crossing F...Rachel seized an opportunity to run like the wind. This was in the afternoon.

A little more than an hour later, she was seen in the front of Town & Country Animal Hospital, then observed crossing Fairfax Blvd.

Disappeared! 5/23
Her first act was to tear into the woods and out of sight~Her first act was to tear into the woods and out of sight~

Sightings 5/23 & 5/28East side of Draper Drive Park about an hour after she escaped. When approached by strangers, she ran south into the woods in the direction of Fairfax Blvd.

Then she was seen entering Draper Drive ...East side of Draper Drive Park about an hour after she escaped. When approached by strangers, she ran south into the woods in the direction of Fairfax Blvd.

Then she was seen entering Draper Drive Park from Beech Street around 7pm on Monday evening, Memorial Day

Sighting 5/23After she was seen in front of T&C Animal Hospital, an hour + after first running away, she was seen crossing Fairfax Blvd and disappearing into these woodsAfter she was seen in front of T&C Animal Hospital, an hour + after first running away, she was seen crossing Fairfax Blvd and disappearing into these woods

Sighting, 5/23Rachel was seen hours after her escape in Mosby Woods, near the Mosby Woods pool area. She may have gotten here by the stream best since the last sighting before that was on the opposite side of Fairf...Rachel was seen hours after her escape in Mosby Woods, near the Mosby Woods pool area. She may have gotten here by the stream best since the last sighting before that was on the opposite side of Fairfax Blvd.

Sighting, 5/23She was seen trotting east along Kenmore Dr from the direction of Route 123 and continuting on to University Drive. A woman following her stopped her car near Wood Road and tried to approach her. She...She was seen trotting east along Kenmore Dr from the direction of Route 123 and continuting on to University Drive. A woman following her stopped her car near Wood Road and tried to approach her. She turned and went back up University Drive about a block and crossed the little bridge over the creek into Van Dyck Park.
Continuation of Sighting, 5/23A woman following her from Kenmore Dr & along University Blvd stopped her car near Wood Road and tried to approach her. She turned and went back up University Drive about a block and crossed the litt...A woman following her from Kenmore Dr & along University Blvd stopped her car near Wood Road and tried to approach her. She turned and went back up University Drive about a block and crossed the little bridge over the creek into Van Dyck Park.

Sighting, 5/23Rachel was seen in the early evening lying in the yard of the sighter's neighbor, in the shade. He approached her and she fled into the woods.Rachel was seen in the early evening lying in the yard of the sighter's neighbor, in the shade. He approached her and she fled into the woods.

Sighting, 5/23Witnesses saw her crossing Old Lee Hwy and she went into the Old Lee Hills neighborhood, about 8:30pmWitnesses saw her crossing Old Lee Hwy and she went into the Old Lee Hills neighborhood, about 8:30pm

Possible sighting, 5/24This is not considered a reliable sighting, but someone did report seeing a loose dog (no description) on Kingsbridge Rd between Blake Ln & Draper RdThis is not considered a reliable sighting, but someone did report seeing a loose dog (no description) on Kingsbridge Rd between Blake Ln & Draper Rd

Possible sighting, 5/24A dog that may have been Rachel was seen crossing from the west side of 123 to the east side.A dog that may have been Rachel was seen crossing from the west side of 123 to the east side.

Possible Sighting, Mem Day WkndOn Glenbrook Rd in Mantua, off of Rte 236, a dog trainer & her daughter saw a dog like Rachel at some time during the long weekendOn Glenbrook Rd in Mantua, off of Rte 236, a dog trainer & her daughter saw a dog like Rachel at some time during the long weekend

Possible Sighting, Mem Day WkndThere was another possible sighting near here over the long holiday weekend (several days after this). It was near the apartments that you can see from Draper Road Park, just to the left of the entran...There was another possible sighting near here over the long holiday weekend (several days after this). It was near the apartments that you can see from Draper Road Park, just to the left of the entrance to the park, maybe near a fence that purportedly separates two apartment complexes.

Possible Sighting, 5/29 or 5/30A dog that may have been Rachel was seen on Tuesday or Wednesday on Atlanta Street in Mosby WoodsA dog that may have been Rachel was seen on Tuesday or Wednesday on Atlanta Street in Mosby Woods

Sighting, 6/3
About 10am, some teenaged girls saw Rachel walking down Chaing Bridge Rd toward Kenmore St. She looked okay, but a little thin.
Attachments:
map.bmp

Posted by: Tippy Taco ()
Date: June 07, 2012 10:54PM

She probly getting thin and tuff now. I only pay $3/lb for her meat or what left of it. If u find, u bring to me! I have good recipe for her!

Posted by: Emmy Scammahorn ()
Date: June 09, 2012 10:00PM

As of Saturday, June 9, Rachel is still missing.

My name is Emmy Scammahorn and I made Rachel's Facebook page, which now has nearly 170 fans. I know Doug and Susan through mutual friends in their neighborhood.

Thank you all for the good suggestions. We post about Rachel regularly on Lost & Found Dogs DC and Va., as well as on Craigslist and other FB sites. Kim Martucci, Channel 4, reposted. It's been difficult getting other high-profile people to do the same.

The Fairfax City Patch ran an article as well as ConnectWithFairfax.com. We have 3 maps on FB: 1) sightings, 2) tracking dog search, and 3) roaming area. The owners worked with Sam Connelly and her tracking dog, Salsa, and are in daily contact with Nancy Despeaux, an expert in searching for lost dogs.

Here is what is will take for Rachel to be captured: Someone sees Rachel and calls Doug Stewart, her owner, IMMEDIATELY at (703) 203-5703. [Or Susan Stewart at (703) 203-3072)] They don't yell at Rachel. They don't chase her. If they can keep her in sight without scaring her, they do so.

For this to happen, they need to know about Rachel, have the phone number on them, and know not to chase her. That's a LOT to ask.

And that's why I wish the whole of Fairfax City was plastered with yellow and red flyers. Town & Country Vet (west of the Circle) has laminated flyers you can pick up and post where you eat lunch, your dry cleaner, your church, your gas station, Baskin Robbins—anywhere. Everywhere.

There's also a PDF for a flyer online that you can download: http://tinyurl.com/89j5ztm (I have a flyer in Spanish, too.)

It will be a lot easier for me to communicate with you on Rachel's Facebook page than on this forum, so please join: http://www.Facebook.com/BringHomeRachel

Emmy Scammahorn, FHS '72

Posted by: Hmmmmmm ()
Date: June 10, 2012 12:12AM

I'm really surprised that no one has stopped to pick up this dog. By now, I would have expected someone or the county to have recovered her and taken her in.

Posted by: Wei Huang Tu ()
Date: June 10, 2012 07:50AM

Who say no one pick up dog yet? Hehehe! I get hungry just to think of delisous meal can make from big dog.

Date: June 10, 2012 08:05AM

@hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - I think it's just that the dog bolts when someone tries to stop and get her

I'm betting she's been spotted and been attempted to have been rescued by good Samaritans WAY MORE than has just been reported she just bolts each time, is all

that's why Emmy up there put that post with that phone # out..............

Posted by: Emmy Scammahorn ()
Date: June 10, 2012 01:01PM

You're right, Gordon Blvd, Rachel will not let anyone near her. She'll probably run even if she senses your presence, let alone if you call out.

I know I sound like a broken record, but if you see her call her owner ASAP at (703) 203-5703. It's the only hope Doug Stewart (her owner) has of getting Rachel back.

We want to get the word out to people who drive around as part of their jobs but none of us have a contact. Do you know anyone in Fairfax City who works in these fields?
--Delivery (pizza, Chinese food, newspapers, appliances, furniture, DeerPark, UPS/FedEx, USPS, bicycle messengers).
--Repair/maintenance (appliances, Terminex,water meter readers, parking enforcement)
--Garbage people, Taxi drivers, Cue bus drivers, school bus drivers.

If you do please email me at escammahorn@hotmail.com

Thanks--Emmy
http://www.facebook.com/bringhomerachel

Posted by: Fu ()
Date: June 10, 2012 01:15PM

I work in one of those fields and I hope I spot that mut. First thing I'll do is make sure no one is looking then I'll run that damn thing over, place in a trash bag and place him at Doug Stewarts front door so he will know why he should keep his dog restricted.......

Just sayin.

Posted by: RE: Fu ()
Date: June 10, 2012 01:24PM

I hope someone runs over your mother, dismembers her, sets her on fire and send the pieces to you and your father so he will know why you're whore of a mother shouldn't be out hooking at night.

Posted by: RE: RE: Fu ()
Date: June 10, 2012 01:35PM

Thats not nice.

Posted by: RE: Fu ()
Date: June 10, 2012 01:40PM

I know.

Posted by: Dog Whispere ()
Date: June 10, 2012 03:07PM

Dog is too stupid to live if it runs away from home and runs from help. Screw it. By now, Obama probably had it captured by the Secret Service and served up at a state dinner anyway.

Posted by: Spy Dog ()
Date: June 10, 2012 07:29PM

Dog Whispere Wrote:
> By now, Obama probably had it captured by the
> Secret Service and served up at a state dinner anyway.
Attachments:
cats_dogs_image.jpg

Posted by: General Tso ()
Date: June 10, 2012 08:31PM

I shot the bitch and used it in my cooking over the weekend. Sorry.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.