HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Hwy 286 - any way to stop this?
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: May 24, 2012 08:27AM

So ok - is VDOT actually going to go thru with this bullshit? Cause Googlemaps now show F.C.Pkwy as 286 and P.W. Pkwy as 294 yet no signs even HINT at this in reality. And it seems the new signs being put up (like at Rolling and at Fair Lakes) still say 7100 on them. Already had some ppl call up confused about directions. Out-of towners may earn themselves some unnecessary confusion out of it, is all.

I personally think it's stupid to waste $$$$$ to change the route numbers - ESPECIALLY 7100 and 7900 since everybody's used to them anyways and there's no real reason to change the number anyways, you know? so why bother?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2012 08:30AM by Gordon Blvd.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hwy 286 - any way to stop this?
Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: May 24, 2012 08:32AM

I think the time to start a movement to stop it would have been when it was announced a few months ago, just sayin.

Date: May 24, 2012 08:39AM

yr prolly right

still cant figure out why bother though.........I know about the whole secondary to primary change - but that's all paperwork basically, so why the need to spend the money to change the signage?

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: May 24, 2012 09:06AM

Because when incident or emergency management gets dispatched to service an event on 286 mile marker such-and-such, the responders are the last people you want to risk introducing confusion to. You don't want an ambulance missing as exit to 286 because the driver is new to the area and didn't see the sign for it, just this one that said "7100".

Posted by: DaTruuf ()
Date: May 24, 2012 09:30AM

Yea, kinda silly considering its how its been since childhood, and theyre putting in "Old 7100" signs in for a year to help the transition. But maybe now they'll focuse more on keeping it maintained and actually paved since its primary now and can receieve federal funding.

Side note: On google maps, just pulled it up, still says VA-7100, are you looking at it on google maps mobile?

Date: May 24, 2012 04:09PM

@Da - it's funny cause it says 289 only when you zoom out a little. But what's even better is that not only get 7100 and old-7100 right next to each other, but if you zoom in a little more, they also have it marked as 641 around 123, which is the number Pohick Rd had when it ran in the right of way back in the day.

@Just - now there, my friend, is a VERY good point. I guess I just dont think it's worth even switching the info in the first place - how much $$$$ does it cost to change and update geez I dont even know how many databases to reflect this change?

I just was just thinking about signage but wow it's gonna even be more expensive than that to do all this change. I get the financial aspect of it (secondary to primary) and I get that VA has rules about the numbering...........but I just dont get why and exception cant be made for these 2-3 particular roadways seeing as how popular they are. Federal Gubmint has rules about highway numbering too but they make exceptions to it all the time, y'know?

Posted by: WTF, over? ()
Date: May 24, 2012 08:33PM

So, we're going to have a 286 and a 294. Dont forget about 267 (toll road).

What's worse is that I heard there are plans of changing 123 to 287, and Rt 7 will become 268.

Posted by: Your a fucktard ()
Date: May 24, 2012 08:45PM

It's so the county can get money. That's the only reason.

Doing a little research might help answer most of your questions.

"your" a fucktard? LoLz
Date: May 24, 2012 09:43PM

um, you aint telling anybody anything we dont already know :)
and if you read any of this crap, you'd know I'm asking.....................Lordy why am I even bothering.

pic unrelated

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2012 09:45PM by Gordon Blvd.
Attachments:
your mom says hi.jpg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.