HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Any experience with Pools By Young?
Posted by: Pools by Young??? ()
Date: May 16, 2012 08:35AM

Anyone have experience with Pools by Young? We contracted with them to have our pool built, mostly because it is a local family business that *had* a good reputation. Said all of the right things about price and time and customer service. In the contracting / interview process, they were by far the best of the several pool builders we looked at. However, we are finding that once we sigend the contract, their communication and planning has been lackluster at best. (Yes, I'm sure this is typical of any contractor, but very frustrating). They don't return calls when they say they will. Just delays, delays, delays with no new plan. They are not under the same ownership as they ahd been in the past, so I'm wondering if the great reviews and references are not a reflection of the current situation. Thanks in advance for anyone who can comment that has had experience with them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any experience with Pools By Young?
Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: May 16, 2012 09:12AM

Even if someone else had a good or bad experience with them I'm not sure how that helps you... your experience so far has not been good.

What does your contract say about cancellation? Has any money been paid yet?

Posted by: Tony ()
Date: May 16, 2012 11:42AM

All pool companies use the same subs (tile and coping and plaster) Right now those subs are concentrating on commercial pools. Those pools must open by memorial day weekend. Im sure after next week your process will get going again.

Posted by: also a customer ()
Date: May 30, 2012 03:36PM

Stumbled across this while looking up reviews. I am having the same experience right now. Serious lack of communication. No shows. When they do show, workers work 6 hours max and most of that is sitting down on my patio furniture for a smoke break. Sad thing is, I have two other friends looking into building pools next spring and I will not be recommending them based on my current experience. Keep photos, phone logs and email logs. Document, document, document!!!

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: May 30, 2012 03:44PM

Had a pool built by them in 95 and they were top notch. Guess it was the old owners, wasn't aware they changed ownership.

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: May 30, 2012 04:24PM

A real man blows up his own pool.

Posted by: frustrated ()
Date: June 08, 2012 10:23AM

Their pool repair service is no better. Minor repair jobs take weeks to get done. They do not have the staff to match the contracts they enter into, which causes delay and frustration. Believe work is good, but getting them to follow through is difficult. Should have time requirements put into contract. T

Posted by: Original Poster ()
Date: June 08, 2012 11:18AM

@ More Complete. Yes, 1995 would have been with the original owner, Roger Young.
The current owner and staff is tarnishing Roger's reputation by keeping the name and conducting shoddy, possibly unethical business. I have never worked with a contractor before that so blantantly lies. Took the advice to document EVERYTHING. I've now got complete packages to send to BBB, APSP, Building Trades Association, Fairfax County Consumer Protection, and Virginia Board of Contractors.

Posted by: wantapool ()
Date: June 08, 2012 12:48PM

What are other good options in this area? I had been considering Pool's By Young until I started finding recent reviews, news of ownership changes, etc.

I got a rough quote from NVblu and they are saying for 800 sq ft gunite and plaster with a required minimum of 400sq feet concrete decking will run 65-70k!

Posted by: Swimming in $$$ ()
Date: June 08, 2012 03:19PM

Looking like more into the $90-100k range once you add landscaping. Plus each year you will have maintenance plus chemicals act..

A pool can also devalue your home since many families with young kids will not buy a home with a pool.

Happy swimming!

Posted by: JBass ()
Date: June 08, 2012 03:23PM

wantapool Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What are other good options in this area? I had
> been considering Pool's By Young until I started
> finding recent reviews, news of ownership changes,
> etc.
>
> I got a rough quote from NVblu and they are saying
> for 800 sq ft gunite and plaster with a required
> minimum of 400sq feet concrete decking will run
> 65-70k!

Thats astronomical for that size.

Posted by: JD ()
Date: June 11, 2012 08:42AM

PBY started construction around March 1, 2012. Good workmanship and fair price but follow up is horrendous. Bill S is their PM and a part owner and he is a blatant liar. Get a liquidated damages clause added to your contract. I'm getting a 18 x 36 gunited with auto cover and 1100 sg ft of decking for about 80k. NVBlu was more but I wish I went with them as they have more staff to get the job done closer to the scheduled date. Avoid PBY if you want a pool this year.

FYI, pool should be done this month. I hope.

Posted by: waiting for gunite ()
Date: June 11, 2012 09:23AM

JD:
What delays have you had since gunite? We are supposedly scheduled for gunite this week. Assuming they actually show up on a confirmed, scheduled, date (which would be a minor miracle in itself), I'd be curious as to how long delay was between gunite and plumbing, tile, etc.

Robbie (other owner) kept making all these claims about 35 day turn-around from dig to completion and gunite to completion of decking 10 days. Of course, ours sat for 12 days after dig, with BEAUTIFUL weather, and no work. I can't believe they wasted all of those good work days.

I will not be recommending them to interested friends and neighbors.

Date: June 11, 2012 04:17PM

Gunite was done in late March, early April. Took almost 7 weeks for coping and tile to get complete. Plumbing of equipment will happen fast after gunite as thats a payment milestone Electric and gas just completed but need inspection. Decks should be done in another 10 days.

They are way understaffed for the 5 pools they say they are building. Bill S can't keep track of his stories so I usually catch him in a lie. I'm hoping I'm swimming by July 4 th.

Posted by: ChicheG ()
Date: June 22, 2012 11:51AM

Hi! I'm close to signing a contract with them but now I'm hesitant. JD, do you have any updates on your pool construction? waiting for gunite: how about you? Updates?
They quoted us about 20k less than NVBlu but I can see why.....
Thanks in advance!

Posted by: LIARS and CROOKS ()
Date: June 22, 2012 12:38PM

Anyone even thinking of hiring these guys: BEWARE. They came by to collect a check for one stage of work. Showed up to get the check, then didn't return to do the actual work after it was supposedly scheduled and confirmed. When I called them on it, they came up with a story of one of them having a car wreck and so they have some "minor delays" to shuffle stuff around. I wonder how many fake car wrecks they have had over the past year to make up non-weather related excuses. Their story makes no sense either since the person in the wreck doesn't do any of the labor and everything had already been scheduled and confirmed. This is just a long pattern of NO SHOW days without a call and they are running out of lies and excuses.

They also have dirt piles thrown all over my yard which was prohibited by my FFX Co permit. I'm thinking about calling the county out Monday to check it out. Will be a hefty fine.

Date: June 23, 2012 02:22PM

ChicheG: My gunite was poured (LATE, of course). They pretty much lie all the time. They even lie about scheduling inspections, when in FFX Co it is online - so you can see whether or not it is scheduled. Either that or their secretary Jen McQuiston is too dumb to know. Pathological. Pay extra money for a more honest and reputable company. It will be worth the extra $$$.

Posted by: initiate criminal charges ()
Date: June 23, 2012 07:38PM

I encourage anyone having issues to following the procedures here to initiate financial crimes charges. I am completing my paperwork today along with contacting the other organizations listed.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/financialcrimes/constructionfraud.htm

Maybe it will wake them up.

Posted by: iwanttogetwet ()
Date: June 25, 2012 02:04AM

So, like... who are the good pool builders around here? Seems like they all have shit reputations?

Posted by: mad ()
Date: June 25, 2012 08:10AM

We have a few friends who have had pools built. Not one has ever been happy. One couple almost got a divorce over the pool that the husband wanted and the budget went over by 25 grand.

Good luck.

On a side note we have been to some great pool parties over the last few years.

Posted by: ChicheG ()
Date: June 25, 2012 10:12AM

waiting for gunite: thanks for the update! I think I'll wait a few months, save some extra money and go with someone else. They've been pretty good about the estimates and getting back to me (as expected), but it looks like everyone here is not happy with their work ethic. I have neighbors who had their pool built by NVBlu and it looks like they were pretty good. I'll stop by their house this week to talk to them and get their final thoughts on the whole process and share them with you guys.
Thanks!

Posted by: Still waiting ()
Date: June 25, 2012 11:54AM

Still no decks but some progress. maybe swimming after July 4th; about 6 weeks later than Bill S told me we'd be swimming.

Posted by: res ()
Date: June 25, 2012 01:58PM

I drive by a house close to me that is having a pool built by Town and Country pools. As far as I can tell they're making good progress. Every few days I drive by there's people working.

Posted by: Harryhomeowner ()
Date: June 25, 2012 02:29PM

Who will be using for your fence? Hard to believe I've been quoted $13k for a fence!

Date: June 25, 2012 04:53PM

Carter Fence is at my house today. . . . beautiful 200 feet 6 ft board on board with one double wide gate, one regular gate, latches up to pool code. . 4K - includes removing and hauling away my old fence. They actually showed up when they said and the workmanship is fantastic. Way more than I could ever say about Pools by Young.

By the way, Pools by Young promised us a schedule to completion today. Is it any shocker we don't have it?? Not only that, but they stopped answering their phone and email today too.

Anyone know of a pool company I can have come in and quickly finish the job that Pools by Young can't seem to do???

Posted by: Spam Sandwich ()
Date: June 26, 2012 08:32AM

Swimming Pool Builders Fairfax visit http://hustonpools.com or call 703 246 0037 Over Twenty years in Business, top rated! Swimming Pool Builders Fairfax Virginia information.

Huston Pools is a family owned builder with over 22 years pool design/building experience.

Huston pools are well known for their unique designs for swimming pools in Fairfax.. We work with you as though it were our own pool being built on your property.

Huston Pools has over 22 years of experience and pool design is just the beginning. Having a custom built Swimming pool is just the beginning. You won't find the normal pools that others offer. We design with your luxury in mind and want to give you the total outdoor experience.

We offer custom landscape design, outdoor kitchens and complete pool landscaping to complete your vision of a personal oasis in your backyard. We care about quality and it shows. We consider your complete outdoor experience when designing your pool, not every swimming pool builder in Fairfax can claim this.

Huston swimming pool builders Fairfax realize that when we build a pool for a homeowner, that it will in essence be a part of their home. Our swimming pool builds will stand out, and your property values may increase as a result. You may find that after it's all said and done, you will suddenly have many more friends drop by on a hot summer day. We want you to be able to build a lifetime of memories with your new swimming pool build. We take great pride in our craftsmanship.

Here are some special features that Huston swimming pool builders Fairfax Va incorporate in their swimming pools: Decks - They hand sculpt their decks to perfection. They are built to match the pool landscape and surrounding area. With that, the builder can include an area where you can sit or fire up the grill. Spa - You can have a spa in addition to the pool. You will be able to enjoy nice water massages that will have you relaxed in no time flat. Waterfalls - Enjoy the breathtaking view of a waterfall. You can have water streaming around you and you'll still be dry.

Forget about activating several switches. With the push of a remote control device, you will be able to turn on whatever you want, whenever you want. With the age of modern technology evolving quickly, nothing should be overlooked.

Have you ever seen a hand sculpted pool with mosaic tile that wraps around? Or how about a fire feature made within the design of the pool? We are masters at putting these features together. We have years of expertise and it shows.
Whether it's an in ground pool or a custom made plunge pool, Huston swimming pool builder Fairfax can do this for you . Huston pools will put together a pool masterpiece that can top all others. Get ready to be the talk of your neighborhood.
For more information about your swimming pool go to : http://hustonpools.com or call 703 246 0037 Thank you for visiting us
Swimming pool builders Fairfax VA

Posted by: Ignore Huston ()
Date: June 27, 2012 08:25AM

Ignore these guys as well. I got the same feedback about them as PBY. Wish I got the feedback about PBY before I contracted with them.

Posted by: Use MC Fence ()
Date: June 27, 2012 08:27AM

Recommend MC Fence. Very professional, vey reasonable price. Good workmanship.

Posted by: Very expensive ()
Date: June 27, 2012 08:29AM

T&C makes a great pool but are 40 to 50% higher than most. Burton is the owner and he's pretty arrogant and doesn't always listen to what the customer wants.

Posted by: Unimpressed ()
Date: June 28, 2012 03:32PM

I had to deal with Pools by Young recently. They are extremely unprofessional and unreliable. They were the most dishonest people I have the displeasure of working with. They overbilled, lied about their service, and afterwards were unavailable to correct their mistakes. I would stay far away from them. Neither Rob nor Bill were man enough to call me back to talk about the issues and had to use their secretaries as mediaries.

Posted by: Satisfied Customer ()
Date: July 05, 2012 04:10PM

WOW!! Reading these reviews I am absolutely stunned! We recently just had our 20x40 rectangle pool built by Pools by Young this year. We never once have experienced anything stated above. They delivered our pool on time, which made our kids extremely happy.

Posted by: Too stupid to tell good lies ()
Date: July 12, 2012 10:52AM

Oh my. In addition to experiences already put on here, two blatant lying experiences alone this week. They, especially Jen McQuiston, lie so much they can't even make it seem plausible. Also had a lie about inspection. Said on Thursday it was scheduled for this Monday, but nowhere to be found on FFX Co FIDO system. Then Monday morning rolls along, and I called and Jen said it had been cancelled because of the storm (which happened overnight, weather was clear) and it would be Tuesday. Truth: inspection had never been scheduled and wasn't even asked for until aroun 10am Monday to be scheduled for Tuesday. The County verified as much and laughed loudly about the notion it had been cancelled for some rain the night before. I mean - are they so dumb they don't realize all of this is easily verifiable, or they are so pathological they don't even know the truth over a lie??? Then, grading of yard was to happen Tuesday - no show. Wednesday - no show. Today - promised work to start at 9. No show, 10am - no show. Have people in my house specifically to babysit pool project because Pools by Young can't be trusted. So, I ask them at 10:15 if they really plan on doing any work. Not knowing I have folks at home, they claim their workers have been on site doing work. After which, I informed them not so, because we are HOME and can very clearly see our yard. They did finally show up after being busted. Seriously, they only have about 2-3 real days of work left. Somehow though, working more than 2 hours a week is a hardship for them. I'll be so glad when I can get them out of my life!

Posted by: and then ()
Date: July 24, 2012 10:13AM

...and then....

Posted by: Re: and then . . . . ()
Date: August 02, 2012 04:36PM

When they finally finish your pool, they fail to show up to brush the walls and balance chemicals as promised. .and 10 days after pool completion, still no diving board, cleaning equipment or cover. . . even though it is all paid for. . . . Beyond Pathetic.

Posted by: Lied to ()
Date: August 18, 2012 02:45PM

The lies and excuses are behind the pale. Pool was finished before July 4th and there were maybe 10 things left to be done. It's now mid August and I still don't have my salt system or auto cover to name a few. they've collected just about all their money so there's no motivation to move quickly.

Anyone looking to us PBY, run away as fast as you can. THe lies start with Robbie and end with Bill and Jen. THey are the worse excuse for a contractor in NoVA. Go with NVBlu. I wish I did.

Posted by: Richard Martin ()
Date: August 29, 2012 09:39PM

I would be interested to know if anyone has their bond company's information or a copy of their Certificate of Insurance.
I too had a pool installed by them about 11 years ago, and their performance has continued to decline steadily over the last few years.. to the point where we contracted with them to do tile repairs, signed an agreement, provided them a 50% deposit, with an understanding they would begin the work within two weeks, take 3-4 weeks to complete. They drained the pool, removed the tiles, and it has been sitting now in that same condition for months.., and the season is now closing and we and our family had not been able to use the pool at all, all year.

Also, if anyone has started legal actions, I certainly would like to have referrals for good attorneys in this type of matter.

Thanks to anyone who can provide the information I am seeking.

Posted by: Richard Martin ()
Date: August 29, 2012 09:42PM

I too am looking for a recommendation on a pool company to come in and finish the repairs to my pool. I am in the Marshall area. Thanks.

Posted by: Harry ()
Date: October 15, 2012 11:36AM

I took legal action.

Date: October 15, 2012 11:43AM

If you owe Pools By Young any money contact me first. I would certainly appreciate it.

Posted by: lisa ()
Date: October 15, 2012 03:16PM

Whatever any of you do, do not hire a decorative patio company called "Salzano Custom Concrete". See my post about them and the pictures of the work they did for us. The title of the post is "do NOT hire Salzano Custom Concrete".

Our pool was already built when we purchased our house and we continue to use the same pool company for the closing of our pool each season. They are "lewis Pools". Have you looked into them? The other one we use for any repairs that need to be done us "Sylvan Pools".

Date: October 25, 2012 10:16AM

Can you recommend the lawyer you used to bring legal action against PBY? I'm still waiting on them to finish my project.

Posted by: CletusFreetus ()
Date: October 25, 2012 06:10PM

what is the advantage of having a concrete pool or one of those already premade/fitted pools. which one is cheaper, im looking to upgrade the above ground.

Posted by: what a joke ()
Date: November 01, 2012 11:07AM

I too am a disgruntled customer. This company constantly over promises and under delivers. Their customer service is nothing short of a joke. I am not going into the many issues I have had dealing with Pools by Young, however, I will say, that anyone that is interested in working with them should be aware. I just logged onto the website below, and they have MANY civil suits against them, in Fauquier and Loudoun County. Do your research, and ask for references, I wish I had!!!

http://www.courts.state.va.us/caseinfo/

Posted by: what a joke ()
Date: November 01, 2012 11:07AM

I apologize it is Fauquier and Fairfax Counties

Date: November 02, 2012 02:53PM

JD,

If you owe them money or will, it will benefit you significantly to contact me. HWmulford@aol.com

Posted by: Fascinated ()
Date: November 09, 2012 08:10AM

I am curious about why you want people to contact you? Is it because you won a settlement but have not been able to collect anything?

Posted by: PKIII ()
Date: November 12, 2012 02:49PM

You should check out M&M Landscaping, they have done a half dozen jobs on our street, 2 of which were pools and the work was stunning! Start to finish, we were surprised how quickly the job was completed. Also, I saw a job that was in progress by Surrounds landscaping that looked unbelievable, though it had to of been in the half million dollar range.

Posted by: broke employee ()
Date: December 12, 2012 08:35AM

Just found out they lost all their employees due to lack of pay. Apparently they both think they can build pools without any employees. Beware of this company (pools by young). They will steal your money, and leave you with a hole in the ground. Cant even pay their employees .

Posted by: Wowzers ()
Date: December 20, 2012 01:22PM

Unbelieveable @ broke employee. How are they even staying afloat? Wonder if they even paid their taxes, rent, utilities. Hell, if they can't pay their employees, how are they paying anything else.

Posted by: Curious G ()
Date: January 30, 2013 12:30PM

Did they ever finish your pool???

Posted by: coorny01 ()
Date: January 30, 2013 12:38PM

Our pool was built by them. yes, they finished it. Was the communication bad? Yes, but it was all good in the end. They didn't walk away or do anything weird. Just make your voice heard

Posted by: houy ()
Date: January 30, 2013 12:42PM

I have heard lots of horror stories about Pools by Young and we avoided them when we built our pool, we had one disreputable company, then another one that was fairly horrible, the pool business is just one big scam

Date: February 18, 2013 07:24AM

Houy, atleast your pool is done, the turn around for these guys is about 12-16 months if your lucky enough. Not all pool companies are a joke. It's not the economy, nor the customers fault. These guys try to get rich on everypool, (pby) by cutting corners and screwing their employees. If anyone is having a pool built by them and would like it done by the 1.5 year mark I would definitely hire a lawyer. Business 101 , must put money BACK into company to thrive.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: February 28, 2013 01:54PM

Just entered judgement for work not completed i completely agree with the thought of all, there are no returned phone calls as of today Bills email no longer exsists I feel for those who enter into contract with these theives you will be swindled

Posted by: Linda ()
Date: February 28, 2013 02:13PM

Try Baldwin Pools. Mary Baldwin built my pool on time and within budget in 2009 and I still have her open and close it every year. It still looks good and she's there whenever I have a question.

Posted by: Pools are $$ suckers ()
Date: March 01, 2013 08:16AM

The first couple of years are fun but after that they are nothing but a money pit. Plus try selling your home. When you own a pool 50% of families with small children will not even look at a home with a pool.

Good luck!

Posted by: PBY are con men ()
Date: March 18, 2013 02:04PM

As a high school kid I worked for PBY, as a summer job to make a few bucks. Roger Young was a convicted or almost convicted drug runner. His wife was a mess. They have this Robbie guy who is component at fixing pools, but nowhere near qualified to do anything else. Is he part owner now or something? God help you all. They were never staffed enough to handle the business and lied to every person where I witnessed an agreement. They would over charge and find ways to scam a buck out of customers on new construction, renovations or service. At least back then, some of the employees owed Roger Young money and could never pay it back, so he had them basically as indentured servants. The theory was rob Peter to pay Paul. Always taking the few employees they had and sending them to one job for a little while, so the home owner would see people working, but then nothing for a while. Juggling law suites, but be ready to get nothing if you win. AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID .

Date: March 23, 2013 07:43AM

Wow, you had to work there, you just took every word out of my mouth!! That Robbie guy is part owner what a joke. Everything you said is true there is no lies in your post. I really feel sorry for everyone who has given this clown money. Sorry for the loss, they are worth nothing.

Posted by: Sorry I used them ()
Date: April 16, 2013 04:08PM

I also had an awful experience with them. They did a renovation for me and it was awful. They lied and I could never get anyone to call me - had to go through Jen. My neighbor said she saw two of their guys sitting in their truck in my driveway for several hours doing nothing. The result was sub-par and I almost took them to small claims court. They came back and fixed some stuff, but overall, it was a very poor job and I'm sorry I used them. I checked references and did an internet search but found nothing to warn me - guess it was right after the father retired and the son took over so not enough people had gotten duped by them. RUN from them. They are crooks.

Posted by: Sick of the lies ()
Date: April 26, 2013 11:57PM

All of these postings sound exactly what we have gone through in the past year. Our pool is in but they still owe us an automatic cover.

Does anyone know what subcontractor PBY uses for automatic covers? I'd like to contact them directly and see if they were ever given our job and if not, then maybe I can just deal with them directly. I doubt a lawsuit will accomplish much if everyone else is already chasing them and I'd just like to get them out if my life now.

Date: April 28, 2013 09:31AM

They burn through so many subs. Its hard to tell which poor SAP they suckered in at this time. All I know is that they treat their subs worse than their employees. Which is hard to believe. That is how they Make thier profit. Try to take them to court and you will win a judgement.t. They have no money. They are smart enougnot to put money back into company. That way looks like they the company is worthless. Limited liability company. Which means bend over and take it, for free or even at your cost.

Posted by: Sick of the lies ()
Date: May 02, 2013 10:25PM

Thanks for the sad, but probably true advice. The tragic thing is that last Fall Bill started telling me about how their employee Jen was caught stealing money from the company and that it was a lot of money, so I actually felt sorry for them. Silly me, it was probably all a lie and they are out there slandering her just to take advantage of clients. How low can you go?

Posted by: Pool owner ()
Date: May 16, 2013 11:54AM

Jen actually was convicted of fraud - you can google the court case. PBY has turned their act around with my pool. Took a legal threat but they have held up their end of the deal and we have been swimming for a couple of weeks this year.

Posted by: BS ()
Date: May 16, 2013 12:16PM

Nice try - but I call B.S.

You can't be swimming for a couple of weeks in this weather!

PBY trying to put another one over on people = shame on Pools by Young...

Posted by: pool owner ()
Date: May 20, 2013 02:01PM

Don't blame you for being a skeptic but my pool got opened end of April and we have the pool heated for the weekends.

Posted by: Pool Owner ()
Date: May 20, 2013 02:06PM

Contact Solar Pool Covers in MD. They will install your cover

Posted by: Pool boy ()
Date: May 21, 2013 06:10AM

Just make sure you ask for water. Word has it hat Reston uses rusty nails.

Posted by: wing nut Rob ()
Date: May 22, 2013 12:21PM

All pool guys are the same.

Date: May 22, 2013 08:26PM

Beware of their pool service, they lost their employees that actually had exp. with pools . Couldnt pay their employees , had to get some new rides. What a joke. Hope those crooks enjoy them!! Sorry for those still under contract.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: May 22, 2013 08:57PM

I had an "experience" with them.

It was "ok" I suppose.

anigif_original-grid-image-32084-1387222

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2015 08:35AM by WingNut.
Attachments:
lackluster.jpg

Posted by: current contract ()
Date: May 30, 2013 10:32AM

We are currently under construction with PBY. Frustrated beyond belief as we broke ground in March and were supposed to be complete in April. Does anyone have a name for plaster sub they use? Need to verify that we are on the schedule for plaster if I am able.....

Posted by: plaster ()
Date: May 30, 2013 09:52PM

I believe these were the folks who did the subcontract work last year:
Oliver and Turner, Inc.
10056 Oliver Farm Rd
Warrenton, VA 20186
ph: 540-439-9368
fax: 540-439-9368
alt: 540-937-4346

Posted by: Same old BS ()
Date: June 05, 2013 10:37AM

They have switched all numbers, one or two new employees, as well as the owners running the show. they will be lucky to make it all summer. they are liars, theirs and crooks. Use anyone but them to install your pool.

Posted by: Employees screwed ()
Date: June 07, 2013 01:38PM

A few of the employees have recently had bounced checks. They will send one guy to do 4 openings in a day which is nearly impossible just because of lack of daylight. They work their employees overtime, but do not pay them for it. When the paychecks bounce, they expect you to continue working or they threaten to fire you. Robbie is almost always glazed over from pain killers (from his wreck a little while ago) and Bill blatantly lies. Avoid this company at all costs. They lie, do subpar work, and don't think anything is wrong with it.

Posted by: Also Burned by Pools by Young ()
Date: July 24, 2013 10:25AM

BEWARE! I much echo all the others. We used Pools by Young (no creativity, we had to design everything ourselves) and they built a good pool but WAY WAY beyond deadline. They would constantly tell us they were going to do this or that and not show up. Instead of being honest with us they were building too many pools at once and making everybody wait and getting everybody mad because we were all delayed and they just weren't up front. If they would just tell the truth we could deal with it but they just keep saying oh we'll be there and then never come. In the end the pool looked good, we are satisfied with it. But then began the service saga. They rarely come when they say they're going to come. They don't call to explain. There's alway an excuse of some kind. If you call and ask where they are, they say oh, we'll be there in an hour and then they never show up at all. They occasionally have good cleaners in the field but they never seem to last and apparently have too many pools because they don't come when regularly scheduled and can't come when something breaks or there's an emergency. Seems like something always goes wrong on a holiday weekend when we need the pool most and they close their office and have a recording on so the weekend is lost. That happens several weekends every short swimming season the past couple of years we've used them. We would love to find another company but they are very hard to find and few and far between, it seems! We have three kids wanting to swim and the pool was supposed to be the thing they could do with their other friends all summer but it seems like the pool is in unswimmable condition more often than it's swimmable. We end up cleaning it ourselves because nobody showed up. If anyone knows of a good company for reliable service, please clue us in. SOmeone should start a good reliable pool service, if they would just show up on time when scheduled they'd make a mint!

Posted by: Also Burned by Pools by Young ()
Date: July 24, 2013 10:25AM

BEWARE! I much echo all the others. We used Pools by Young (no creativity, we had to design everything ourselves) and they built a good pool but WAY WAY beyond deadline. They would constantly tell us they were going to do this or that and not show up. Instead of being honest with us they were building too many pools at once and making everybody wait and getting everybody mad because we were all delayed and they just weren't up front. If they would just tell the truth we could deal with it but they just keep saying oh we'll be there and then never come. In the end the pool looked good, we are satisfied with it. But then began the service saga. They rarely come when they say they're going to come. They don't call to explain. There's alway an excuse of some kind. If you call and ask where they are, they say oh, we'll be there in an hour and then they never show up at all. They occasionally have good cleaners in the field but they never seem to last and apparently have too many pools because they don't come when regularly scheduled and can't come when something breaks or there's an emergency. Seems like something always goes wrong on a holiday weekend when we need the pool most and they close their office and have a recording on so the weekend is lost. That happens several weekends every short swimming season the past couple of years we've used them. We would love to find another company but they are very hard to find and few and far between, it seems! We have three kids wanting to swim and the pool was supposed to be the thing they could do with their other friends all summer but it seems like the pool is in unswimmable condition more often than it's swimmable. We end up cleaning it ourselves because nobody showed up. If anyone knows of a good company for reliable service, please clue us in. SOmeone should start a good reliable pool service, if they would just show up on time when scheduled they'd make a mint!

Posted by: elanger ()
Date: July 25, 2013 03:31PM

My fiance knows Roger Young, the original owner, but didn't trust the new management.

We used Town & Country Pools and had an excellent experience. I heard many horror stories about pool companies, so I wasn't expecting a smooth experience. Honestly, we had no problems. They were prompt, on schedule, on budget and they did a fantastic job. We are having trouble with the PebbleTec people honoring the warranty, however. That's not T&C's issue. They did a 900 sf, free form pool and spa for me. I highly recommend them.

Posted by: GuinnessPhish ()
Date: July 25, 2013 03:55PM

I have nothing to add about Pools by Young, but I figured I'd post this because it's related to pools....

check out troublefreepool.com if you're tired of spending hundred of dollars at the pool store and never getting your pool sparkling....

great forum with people only interested in getting you knowledgeable about how to maintain your pool without dumping unnecessary chemicals in that drain your wallet...

Posted by: angry sub ()
Date: August 15, 2013 01:20PM

Years ago Roger Young ran a tight ship with some of the best pool designs and workmen around. He sadly sold the company to a pair of clowns who are terrible at all aspects of business, inability to pay their subs is an area I have too much experience in so from someone in the biz ....I believe there are better options out there. Both guys are very nice ..maybe Walmart needs some more greeters.

Date: August 20, 2013 06:59AM

Beware beware beware!! Stay away from these guys. They have burned all bridges and getting ready to tank!! They can only borrow so much. They owe so many different subs money that they stopped going into the office due to the amount of people hunting them down including sheriffs department. Can't believe these crooks have lasted this long. For those under contract, don't let them play the blame game.... They are both equally incapable of doing anything right

SUBS STAY AWAY!!!!!

Posted by: Lisaonthepotomac ()
Date: September 24, 2013 12:06PM

We had contracted with PBY and after numerous messages and no return calls, hired an attorney to get our deposit back.
Did extensive research and a referral from our neighbor that was having a pool built by Perfect Pools in Sterling VA. This company did everything they said they would. Amazing design with a 3D video design as well.
My neighbors pool and our pool, spa, and waterfall turned out to be an oasis in our backyard. If anyone is looking for a reputable company with outstanding customer service try them at 703-444-2982.
I will give them plenty of referrals. Not sure what happened with PBY but we finally got our deposit back after feeling like we got scammed.

Posted by: Laughing hysterically ()
Date: October 05, 2013 08:16AM

Just drove by their office and they have been locked out for not paying rent!!!!

Posted by: BBB Revoked ()
Date: October 07, 2013 08:57AM

Their BBB membership was revoked and their status went from A to F in the past year.

Posted by: Gary ()
Date: October 11, 2013 01:41PM

Hi all! This is Gary, one of the owners from Perfect Pools.
We have been contacted recently by quite a few of Pools by Young's clients to take over their swimming pool services.
We currently have a showroom in Sterling VA and we are considering leasing the space in Aldie that was previously occupied by Pools by Young.
If you need anything Pool related please contact our office at 703-444-2982.

Thanks,
Perfect Pools

Posted by: Harold loran ()
Date: October 12, 2013 07:38PM

I suggest hiring someone with professional crews. We hired Lewis Aquatech. They did a great job!!! What a difference!!! Ck out their web site www.lewis-Aquatech.com

Great experience

Posted by: loranNotneeded ()
Date: October 12, 2013 09:17PM

the pool will show up on google maps

we'll be taxing you soon for not reporting it

----------------
"tax them when they enjoy it, not when it is earning"

Posted by: contractorShortcuts ()
Date: October 12, 2013 09:19PM

make sure the backhoe hits a water line. it will fill itself and you won't get charged !!

------------------------------
texas factory that never EVER put a hole in a fossil fuel line for free fuel

GmhB

Posted by: Bad name ()
Date: October 18, 2013 11:02AM

Its a shame that PBY has given every pool company a bad name.

We have used NV Pools since our pool was built by PBY. They have always called ahead,shown up on time and have done excellent work.

They are a tad pricy but the work has always been top notch.

Posted by: christi moore ()
Date: November 15, 2013 06:34AM

We contracted Perfect Pools to take over our weekly service in June after Pools by Young failed to answer our calls. Perfect Pools has since provided us with pool service that we didn't realize what we should have been getting. Call Adam or Gary at Perfect Pools and they will provide professional, reliable, and excellent service like no other pool company has provided. My neighbor actually just had his pool renovated by Perfect Pools and it turned out amazing. He too changed over to Perfect Pools for service. The crew over there are good, stand up people!

Posted by: Trish ()
Date: November 15, 2013 09:43PM

Try Perfect Pools in Sterling va

Posted by: Tom and Carol ()
Date: June 08, 2015 01:17PM

In 1987 Roger Young built my Pool in a challenging hillside location. Was in the ground and operating in three weeks. Has worked fine for 28 years. Sorry to hear that the new ownership has tarnished the reputation of this fine man.

Posted by: DJ97p ()
Date: June 08, 2015 10:06PM

ALLOT OF BULLSHIT

make sure they fix the pool if it breaks (it might, VA soil is tricky)

but they wont they'll be out of business - so make sure the work is insured in the even they skipped town or are out of business

then there is no question and no bullshitting who might not rip you off

get it made in the USA

Posted by: MwyET ()
Date: June 08, 2015 10:07PM

um, the rain broke by pool but the county now is charing me double - for pool tax and for improper pool run-off and pool maintenance

Posted by: 6n3pc ()
Date: June 08, 2015 10:09PM

^^ exactly what a pool owner doesn't need to think about

sell tax breaks on the pools, some pool fool will fall for it!

the county lies all the time no doubt they'd be willing to lie for you, for a price. bait and switch pool tax.

Posted by: POOL PROS ()
Date: June 09, 2015 10:06AM

Maryland Pools is the by far the most superior pool builder in the region!

Contact Pool Pros, Inc. for all maintenance, chemicals, cleanings and construction.

Pool Pros has worked with Maryland Pools for two decades now and offers the best pricing and support in the area!

Posted by: Deborah ()
Date: July 23, 2015 04:31PM

Ummm Pool Pros,

Maryland Pools shut their doors!

Maryland Pools built our pool 12 years ago.

Sad to hear what happened.

We also use Perfect Pools who is outstanding.

Pool Pros, just curious, what is your best price for all-inclusive weekly

service?

I wont change companies, but since you have the best prices you might want to

display that for people looking to get cheap service.

Posted by: lil mermaide ()
Date: July 23, 2015 06:30PM

I know nothing about area pool contractors but I just want to say that we love the pool that we have and we are in our pool every day. Kids play, husband and I hang out and I use it for exercise, too.

Love, LOVE our pool. Hope you get your pool soon!

Posted by: dale earnhardt ()
Date: January 02, 2016 04:12PM

bump

Posted by: Paul Giordano ()
Date: November 21, 2016 03:31PM

Huston pools = terrible customer service. Customers are treated like second class citizens. Owner runs the company with his ex wife. Their poor communication and personal issues consistently negatively impact their work. Owner comes on with a great sales pitch and pledges his personal service and on site management to get your business. trust me; it all goes downhill once you sign the contract. Please do yourself a favor and pass on Huston Pools.

Posted by: Mark Spitz ()
Date: November 22, 2016 12:45PM

NO

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.