HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Anyone see the house fire at 123/Hooes today (4/7) in Lorton?
Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: April 07, 2012 11:41PM

Anyone see the house fire? House is toast!!

Probably 25+ pieces of equipment on the scene and dozens of cars / onlookers watching it burn, standing on the shoulder...

Late afternoon, maybe 5ish...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone see the house fire at 123/Hooes today (4/7) in Lorton?
Posted by: Stones ()
Date: April 07, 2012 11:58PM

Drove by it around 8:30. Million dollar house is completely gone. Just the brick siding is left. It's amazing no-one was killed and I can't believe it got to that point with a fire station 1 mile away. The walls must have been made from dry christmas trees.

I felt sick in my stomach just looking at it so when I found out that everyone got out OK (even the dog), it wasn't so much of a bummer but still sucks for those people.

Posted by: McGruff - The Crime Dog! ()
Date: April 08, 2012 01:18PM

'He's a Hero': Lorton Man Saves Three In House Fire
"I'm just glad no one was hurt," neighbor says.
By James Cullum
April 7, 2012
http://lorton.patch.com/articles/he-s-a-hero-lorton-man-saves-three-in-house-fire

A Lorton man is being hailed a hero on Easter weekend after saving three people and a dog Saturday in an aggressive afternoon house fire in the 7200 block of Forest Greens Drive in Lorton.

No one was injured in the two-alarm fire, and it's due to quick work by neighbor Bill Kim. The home was completely destroyed.

"I live at the top of the hill, and my daughter, Faith, told me that she saw smoke coming from down the street, so I jumped in my van and rushed down and saw that the entire left side of the house was engulfed in flames," Kim told Patch at the scene. "I knocked on the door and I entered and told everyone that they had to get out immediately... There was no smoke in the house, so it was like the fire started on the outside of the house."

Kim, 46, saved the lives of three women—two adults and a juvenile—as well as a dog. "We got out and the next thing I knew the whole house was completely in flames," he said, adding that he never considered his own safety. "I didn't even think about it. I'm just glad no one was hurt."

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue was alerted of the fire at 4:55 p.m. and were at the scene within four minutes. It took 60 firefighters approximately 15 minutes to extinguish the blaze. One firefighter was taken to the hospital for observation.

Kim was at the scene at a crucial moment.

"He's a hero... Had he not gotten them out when he did, it would have been a matter of minutes and they wouldn't have been able to get out," said Renee Stilwell, a spokesperson with the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department.

"The fire spread very quickly, and it's no wonder. Look at the breeze out here today," she said.

Investigators are determining the cause of the fire.

Red Flag Fire Warning

The National Weather Service has issued a red flag fire warning, which is in effect until Sunday evening. The warning signifies that critical fire weather conditions exist due to low humidity, high temperatures and powerful winds.

Bill and Faith Kim, Saturday, April 7, 2012. Faith Kim alerted her father of the fire in the 7200 block of Forest Greens Drive, and Bill Kim saved three people and a dog inside before the house was engulfed in flames. Credit: James Cullum
Attachments:
8ad6bfc67ec474fb551828217b3fabbb.jpg
ab29c3caf5d791b921d2c65f154b2efd.jpg
c6fa19e29f8e2f7d7bca57a5c7046b25.jpg
ce560912f36a0341901abcf08d06577.jpg
8f9f13e81ad33f17c8b75d75c8677c77.jpg

Posted by: in it ()
Date: April 08, 2012 03:19PM

These new homes are made of glue, light material, have big open floor plans, and the siding is basically fuel for the fire.

The FD had a 4 minute response time to the home, which includes getting dressed and driving down the road, more then just 1 mile, and down a side road with cars parked on both sides. Did I mention that they originally gave the wrong address?

No one was hurt and the home owner kept trying to get back inside the home for some property.

The FD had over 6 hoselines on the home, 3 inside, within 7 minutes; the home was gone when we arrived.

So no, it wasnt made of X-mas trees and didnt have a spinkler system.

Posted by: Marion Barry ()
Date: April 08, 2012 04:08PM

"Bill Kim saved three people and a dog inside before the house was engulfed in flames."

Nothing but dirty Asians!

Posted by: Holly Smith ()
Date: April 08, 2012 04:55PM

Oh my gosh, my best friend lives right across the street from that house it was heart wrenching watching the smoke through the woods from my house. And my friend was also the one who's dad is now a hero! I'm so glad the family is okay, thank you Mr.Kim!!

Posted by: do ()
Date: April 09, 2012 09:52AM

Stones Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Drove by it around 8:30. Million dollar house is
> completely gone. Just the brick siding is left.
> It's amazing no-one was killed and I can't believe
> it got to that point with a fire station 1 mile
> away. The walls must have been made from dry
> christmas trees.

No, certain procedures have to be followed. Traffic has to be blocked on all streets near the scene. Assessments have to be made of the risk---after all, firefighters want to "go home to their families".

The people in that house were damned lucky that neighbor was around. They'd all be dead otherwise.

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: April 09, 2012 02:20PM

Any truth to the rumor that the fire was started while Mr. Kim was getting ready to cook the dog?

Posted by: MLong ()
Date: April 09, 2012 03:47PM

BEH - it should have been your house! Dumb ass.

Posted by: this little piggy... ()
Date: April 09, 2012 03:56PM

...is going to buy a house made of BRICK or STONE for this reason.

At least the house would have a better chance of surviving the flames and can be rebuilt- this million dollar house is TOAST and will have to be razed and started over.

Posted by: Sum Ding Wong ()
Date: April 11, 2012 08:35AM

Haaaaaaie!!!
Attachments:
1219131047486_jpg_[roflposters_com]_myspace.jpg

Posted by: CERTenly3456765 ()
Date: April 11, 2012 08:42AM

CERT teaches about fire safety and how to put out small fires. CERT Rocks!

UPDATE: Unattended Candle Caused Lorton House Fire
Posted by: ***Update*** ()
Date: April 11, 2012 09:12AM

UPDATE: Unattended Candle Caused Lorton House Fire
Luckily, no one was hurt
By James Cullum
April 9, 2012
http://lorton.patch.com/articles/he-s-a-hero-lorton-man-saves-three-in-house-fire

UPDATE: Investigators with the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department have determined that an unattended candle on the front porch caused Saturday's two-alarm house fire in Lorton. The accidental fire completely destroyed the home in the 9200 block of Forest Greens Drive within a half-hour.

Three women (two adults and a juvenile) and a dog were rescued from the scene by a neighbor minutes before the home was overtaken by flames. One firefighter was taken to the hospital for observation.

Firefighters arrived at the scene at around 5 p.m. and tried to subdue the blaze from both the exterior and interior of the house, but the fire was too intense and had to evacuate. The roof and second floor of the house collapsed.

Unattended candles claimed the lives of a woman and her two children in a Lorton townhouse fire in the 9600 block of Hagel Circle on the morning of Sept. 22, 2010. Those killed were Elieen Cecilia Langham-Anderson, 24, and her children Soloman, 5, and Alfonso, 3. An adult male and two children were treated at Washington Hospital Burn Center with non-life threatening injuries.

Candle Safety Tips

•Do not place candles near combustible materials.
•Place candles in glass or ceramic containers.
•Place candles on a flat, sturdy surface.
•Never leave children unattended in a room with an open flame candle.
•Do not place candles on window ledges or near entryways. The potential air draft can fan the flame, catching curtains or other materials on fire.
•Keep burning candles within sight at all times. Candles can present fire hazards outdoors on decks and patios as well as inside your home.
•Always extinguish candles before leaving the home.
•Place all candles on a protected, heat resistant, dry surface away from anything that can catch fire and out of the reach of children and pets.
The National Weather Service has continued its Red Flag Fire Warning until Monday evening for Northern Virginia and the D.C. Metro area. The warning signifies that critical fire weather conditions exist due to low humidity, high temperatures and powerful winds.

Posted by: WilliamRobert ()
Date: April 11, 2012 11:34AM

Whats the best way to repair this home? Would you just throw a new roof on it and put new siding over the old?

Posted by: Candle in the Wind ()
Date: April 11, 2012 03:59PM

All that damage caused by a lit candle.
Attachments:
light-yr-candles1.gif

Posted by: why ()
Date: April 11, 2012 04:46PM

Why was anyone burning a candle outside at 5pm on a bright sunny day?

Posted by: Qwest ()
Date: April 11, 2012 05:02PM

The aroma helps you relax and forget you are homeless.

Posted by: saw it ()
Date: April 11, 2012 06:37PM

Saw this on Saturday driving on 95 in Occoquan. Now I know what it was.
Attachments:
photo (1).JPG

Posted by: Client 9 ()
Date: April 11, 2012 07:23PM

It looks like Bank of America was kind enough to buy their neighbor's house.

Posted by: beowolf ()
Date: April 11, 2012 09:01PM

Most likely the candle was in the form of a plastic cup stuffed with cigarette butts ablazed in all it's glory. Seen this happen many times. Explains many inconsistencies like a windy day, candle burning outside, on a bright sunny day, no one around, on the side porch...etc...

----
Posted by: why ()
Date: April 11, 2012 04:46PM

Why was anyone burning a candle outside at 5pm on a bright sunny day?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.