HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Volunteers Needed for Potomac Watershed Cleanup Day, March 17
Posted by: Volunteers Needed ()
Date: March 09, 2012 12:25PM

Volunteers Sought for Potomac Watershed Cleanup Day
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/press/html/pr020-12.htm

The Fairfax County Park Authority is looking for intrepid volunteers to wade into creeks and streams to remove litter and other debris on Watershed Clean-Up Day, Saturday, March 17, 2012. From 9 to 11:30 a.m. teams will descend into stream valleys near six parks to remove detritus deposited by litterbugs, floodwaters, and illegal dumping.

Not only is litter unsightly but every stream and creek in the county feeds into the Potomac River, which ultimately flows into Chesapeake Bay. Removing litter and debris here prevents it from washing downstream where it can damage sensitive coastal environments. From discarded plastic bottles and fast food wrappers to tires, bedsprings, furniture, and appliances; none of these items belong in the waterways.

This is a great community service project and counts toward government hours for school requirements. Participants may be surprised by the amount of garbage they can remove in just a couple hours, and they¡¦ll feel proud about their efforts. Volunteers are advised to wear heavysoled boots, old clothes, and work gloves. Trash bags will be provided, and debris will be hauled away by park staff.

Hidden Oaks Nature Center, Annandale, 703-941-1065
Hidden Pond Nature Center, Springfield, 703-451-9588
Huntley Meadows Park, Alexandria,703-768-2525
Riverbend Visitor Center, Great Falls, 703-759-9018
Sully Historic Site, Centreville, 703-437-1794
Ellanor C. Lawrence Park, Centreville,703-631-0013

Dan Schwartz, a soil scientist with the Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District, is coordinating the cleanup in unstaffed parks. To participate, please contact him at 703-324-1422.

Leaders at each cleanup site will keep detailed logs of what types of debris is removed. The logs will be shared with the Alice Ferguson Foundation and included in the results from its 24th Annual Potomac River Watershed Cleanup Day, which is held in April.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Volunteers Needed for Potomac Watershed Cleanup Day, March 17
Posted by: service ()
Date: March 09, 2012 12:46PM

will this count for community service i gotta do 50 hr of that crap

Posted by: Slick Rick ()
Date: March 09, 2012 01:22PM

Wait...March 17th? I'm sorry...I can't make it. I'm going to be dumping raw human filth from my septic system down my storm drains that morning in order to get ready for my St. Patrick's Day party.

Posted by: warmleather ()
Date: March 09, 2012 01:37PM

Posted by: great thoughts ()
Date: March 09, 2012 01:50PM

Sounds like a good job for anyone collecting unemployment. They always say they really do want to work and not just collect a free check. Have at it people.

Posted by: Lepricon ()
Date: March 09, 2012 03:53PM

Why the hell did they pick St. Patricks Day. I'll be too drunk at 9am to participate.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: March 11, 2012 06:16PM

Just call up the wee folks, they'll be more than glad to help ye out!

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: ThePackFollower ()
Date: March 11, 2012 10:48PM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just call up the wee folks, they'll be more than
> glad to help ye out!
>
>
> http://darrenhardy.success.com/wp-content/uploads/
> 2010/03/leprechaun.jpg

Well played, sir! :)

Posted by: Johnny Muir ()
Date: March 13, 2012 06:28AM

2 years ago channel 4 ran PSA's for the Alice Ferguson Foundation Potomac Watershed Clean Up all the time. Channel 4 even kept running the PSA's way past the event. I remember seeing them clear into summer. Then last year only saw the PSA's announcing the Potomac Watershed clean up a couple of times. Then this year with the event coming up in a couple of weeks have not seen a single PSA from the Alice Ferguson Foundation about the Potomac Watershed Clean Up. What happened?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.