HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
State Inspection Question
Posted by: Adam ()
Date: March 20, 2008 12:06PM

My car recently failed state inspection due to one marker light being a slightly different yellow then the other. Oh and my headlights where a little foggy from dirt or something.

Keep in mind that all the lights work fine, and my car runs perfectly, it's a 2003.

Now i have a rejected sticker, what does that mean? Can i drive it, Can i drive it to get it fixed? Can i drive it to go get reinspected? I have until the 22nd of march to fix it, but what happens after that?

Oh and never get your car inspected at the James Madison Shell on 123. Maybe they are actually doing the inspection to VA standards, and every other inspection place in the VA isn't, but he must have taken 40mins to inspect my car, looking at every single little thing.

I know for a fact my car is perfectly safe to drive, I have a feeling the guy at this shop was trying to pull a fast one.

What's even worst, is that he didn't even want to show me what needed to be fixed, just handed me a piece of paper with rejected and why, and said pay. I also had to fill out paperwork with home address/ect.

Just a bad place overall, watch out!

http://www.shellstations.com/jamesmadison/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: State Inspection Question
Posted by: Lurker.. ()
Date: March 20, 2008 12:30PM

Adam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My car recently failed state inspection due to one
> marker light being a slightly different yellow
> then the other. Oh and my headlights where a
> little foggy from dirt or something.
>
> Keep in mind that all the lights work fine, and my
> car runs perfectly, it's a 2003.
>
> Now i have a rejected sticker, what does that
> mean? Can i drive it, Can i drive it to get it
> fixed? Can i drive it to go get reinspected? I
> have until the 22nd of march to fix it, but what
> happens after that?
>
> Oh and never get your car inspected at the James
> Madison Shell on 123. Maybe they are actually
> doing the inspection to VA standards, and every
> other inspection place in the VA isn't, but he
> must have taken 40mins to inspect my car, looking
> at every single little thing.
>
> I know for a fact my car is perfectly safe to
> drive, I have a feeling the guy at this shop was
> trying to pull a fast one.
>
> What's even worst, is that he didn't even want to
> show me what needed to be fixed, just handed me a
> piece of paper with rejected and why, and said
> pay. I also had to fill out paperwork with home
> address/ect.
>
> Just a bad place overall, watch out!
>
> http://www.shellstations.com/jamesmadison/

A rejection sticker means you can drive the car for X(I think 15) days to places to get it fixed. So if you're parked at a bar or a supermarket with a rejection sticker than that could mean trouble.

Most people drive normally on a rejection sticker figuring they will just tell the officer, "Ummm I'm taking it to a place to get it."

After X days, the rejection sticker expires and it is the same thing as no state inspection sticker.

Replace the headlights, they're very cheap, like $4-8 each and take it to a different inspection place.

Once you have paid the original inspection price you do not have to pay again at another gas station, just show the inspector the previous pink slip. He will just check the rejected items.

Date: March 20, 2008 12:39PM

Lurker.. Wrote:
> A rejection sticker means you can drive the car
> for X(I think 15) days to places to get it fixed.
> So if you're parked at a bar or a supermarket with
> a rejection sticker than that could mean trouble.
>
>
> Most people drive normally on a rejection sticker
> figuring they will just tell the officer, "Ummm
> I'm taking it to a place to get it."
>
> After X days, the rejection sticker expires and it
> is the same thing as no state inspection sticker.
>
>
> Replace the headlights, they're very cheap, like
> $4-8 each and take it to a different inspection
> place.
>
> Once you have paid the original inspection price
> you do not have to pay again at another gas
> station, just show the inspector the previous
> pink slip. He will just check the rejected items.

Yeah, i had 15 days, and i was going to use "Going to get it inspected now" as an excuse if i got pulled over. Funny thing is, I've seen at least 5 cops that could have easily seen the rejected sticker if they looked, but none of them pulled me over.

It's not the headlights, but the headlight lenses on the inside, so the whole headlight assembly needs to be replaced, 169 for front and right new, still an easy job, but costly.

Posted by: Suburbanite ()
Date: March 20, 2008 12:45PM

Per the VA State police site:

Can I operate my vehicle with a rejection sticker on the windshield?
The validity period of a rejection sticker shall be 15 days, in addition to the day of inspection.

The purpose of a rejection sticker is to replace the approval sticker that was originally on your vehicle’s windshield. It, in itself, places no travel restrictions on the vehicle; however, it does not provide any exception to any statute governing equipment defects.

As an example, if your vehicle was rejected due to a defective exhaust, with a rejection sticker or with an approval sticker, you would be in jeopardy of receiving a summons for operating the vehicle on the highway with defective exhaust.

AS to the validity of your inspection:
If I feel that the inspection performed on my vehicle was not a proper inspection, what can I do?
If you question the integrity of a safety inspection performed on your vehicle, you should contact the nearest State Police Safety Division Office. An investigation will be conducted per your request to determine if proper inspection procedures were followed.

State Police Safety Division Area Office:
Area 67
area67@vsp.virginia.gov
(703) 323-4549
Northern Va. Area

Posted by: Lurker.. ()
Date: March 20, 2008 12:52PM

On a bored lunch time note. I know it pisses everyone(including myself) when the car gets rejected, but be thankful Virginia has state inspections. I've been to State's without the inspections and half the cars on the road are pieces of junk(no brakes light etc...)

Almost every VA inspector will fail a car for brakes, tires or lights. Lights because it's the easiest thing that stands out and they figure you'll probably just have it fixed right there and they'll make some extra $'s. Usually if a have a car that gets rejected for a dim headlight I just go ahead and replace both headlights; saves me time in the long run and I like good headlights at night.

Posted by: native ()
Date: March 20, 2008 01:51PM

The fact that one of your lights was lighter yellow then the other is NOT the reason why you failed, its the fogged up headlights. And no it doesnt cost$4-$6 to replace headlight assembly, I dont know where one got this information. I have replaced a headlight assembly on my saab and it ran me $240. Take your car to Tires Plus as they have a kit that they use to remove fog from your headlights and its pretty cheap and then you have your car reinspected. You can drive your car with rejected sticker until it expires EXCEPT NOT on any highways. State trooper will pull you over and hand you a ticket even if its not expired but you can drive and park anywhere in the city perfectly legal as long as it is not expired. Its a cheap fix and you can have it taken care of today for under 50 bucks

Date: March 20, 2008 01:59PM

native Wrote:
> You can drive your car with
> rejected sticker until it expires EXCEPT NOT on
> any highways. State trooper will pull you over and
> hand you a ticket even if its not expired but you
> can drive and park anywhere in the city perfectly
> legal as long as it is not expired. Its a cheap
> fix and you can have it taken care of today for
> under 50 bucks

Wait not on the highway?? what kind of wacky law is that.

Date: March 20, 2008 01:59PM

Oh and it's always best to take your car to get inspected in places that get a lot of business. You are not the first to say that such and such shop was trying to make money off of you. My friends exhaust supposedly had a leak(even though it was dead quite) and the guy said he will give him a great deal by replacing it for $300 , my friend said no, the guy went inside to "talk" with his boss, came out and offered $175. Some places are just desperate. You can always it take it to get inspected in another shop and see if they pass you. If they do call your credit card company and dispute the charge and report the shop to better business bureau. If you really want to be an ass go yell at the manager and write to the company.

Date: March 20, 2008 02:01PM

Yes its a fact, you cant go on the highway. You WILL receive a ticket. I guess they figure it could cause a huge accident if your car breaks down in the fast laene or if something flies of your vehicle. Most of the speed limits in the city are 35mph and you have a higher easier chance of pulling over should something happen. Call the state police non-emergency and they will confirm what I just said

Date: March 20, 2008 02:09PM

native Wrote:
> Yes its a fact, you cant go on the highway. You
> WILL receive a ticket. I guess they figure it
> could cause a huge accident if your car breaks
> down in the fast laene or if something flies of
> your vehicle. Most of the speed limits in the city
> are 35mph and you have a higher easier chance of
> pulling over should something happen. Call the
> state police non-emergency and they will confirm
> what I just said

Okay, how is any ordinary citizen suppose to know that?

I highly doubt a cop is going to spot a rejected sticker on 66, but i guess it could happen.. Is it a fix-it ticket, traffic violation?

What if I say "I'm going to get it inspected now" haha

Date: March 20, 2008 02:14PM

Well an ordinary citizen drives a newer model BMW or mercedes and does not have trouble passing inspection but it is the inspection guy's responisbility to tell you all that. And yes if you get a ticket you can have it dropped by bringing in proof of inspection( a different pink slip after they pass you).
Just go and have it taken care of today. If you really cheap go buy the kit from pep boys and do it yourself , its under $10

Posted by: coffin ()
Date: March 20, 2008 02:41PM

Yeah, why are those plastic headlight assemblies so damned expensive? I could see if they were made out of good shit that wouldn't yellow or get foggy, but they sure ain't.

Date: March 20, 2008 02:47PM

demand is not high enough. When somebody needs one the chances are they will shell out a few hundred for it since it is an uncommon part to buy. If you are faced with buying a new headlight assembly or buying a new car, I think most people would pay the few hundred

Posted by: Janz ()
Date: March 20, 2008 09:11PM

Something similar happened to me. I had replaced my side marker bulbs (194) with LED bulbs, which had a "whiter" appearance, but were not used as turn signals. I was forced to buy the standard bulbs at a nearby Target, replaced them myself in the parking lot, and brought back the car to the Jack Taylor's Alexandria Toyota dealership, where it finally passed.

When the car was first rejected for the bulbs, one of the service reps, Mr. "Chris", inadvertently said that the rear reverse bulbs had failed the inspection, stating that they were too bright. I went home and replaced them, and it was when I brought back the car for re-inspection a second time, that the actual mechanic who did the inspection then told me it failed because of the side marker lights.

I found it quite a surprise, however, that the vehicle inspector never pointed out the stuck brake caliper, nor the worn brake pads, on the rear wheels. That was brought to my attention when I had my tires replaced, at a tire shop.

So much for a thorough safety inspection. BTW, the side marker LED bulbs had passed the safety inspections 3 years previous, ironically, at the same Toyota dealership, with no problems.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: March 20, 2008 09:28PM

Janz Wrote:
>>> So much for a thorough safety inspection.

Safety inspections are a form of taxation. I've said that in here before. It's mostly just a source of revenue that has little to do with "public safety".

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: March 20, 2008 09:59PM

As a rule, never take your car to the Dealer or a gas station garage if you want an easy inspection. Go to an out of the way garage in a business park or something..

And yes they will fail you for all exterior things right off. That is because if you have a new Inspection sticker and get pulled over for no brakelights, the cop would look at your new sticker and then get the inspection station investigated. This has happened to shops that I know.

Or get a friend who is a certified state inspector, but even then he will fail you for obvious stuff b/c its his ass too.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: March 21, 2008 08:46AM

Basically, it's illegal to operate your vehicle on the 'highways' of Virginia (read: Any road in Virginia, this now includes private PARKING LOTS!) without an valid and current inspection. The rejection sticker provides you with 15 days to get the vehicle up to standard WITHOUT HAVING TO PAY MORE THAN $1 TO HAVE IT REINSPECTED. That's it. You drive to-and-from that inspection station at your own risk (of a ticket).

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-1158
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-1167

If a law enforcement officer takes your car off the road for safety reason, you have 2 hours to get it repaired.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-1001

Posted by: Seanjohn ()
Date: March 23, 2008 02:17AM

Why dont you just buy a sticker. Im sure someone will sell you one. That what most of my friends do.

Date: March 23, 2008 08:52PM

Seanjohn Wrote:
> Why dont you just buy a sticker. Im sure someone
> will sell you one. That what most of my friends
> do.

Well if my car was really unsafe, i would like to know. I don't mind inspections, but failing you for the bullshit, is crap.

Posted by: projekt ()
Date: April 11, 2008 10:28PM

no

you can't BUY a state inspection sticker

the state inspection manual is about as thick as a phonebook

there's more to it then you think

most state inspectors in this area are legit because undercover cops will roll up to their inspection bays with a MINOR problem, and if that car passes somehow, it's a 5k fine and a suspended drivers license for the inspector

Posted by: muaddib ()
Date: July 16, 2008 02:01PM

Please correct me if any of this information is wrong.

highway= A main road or thoroughfare, such as a street, boulevard, or parkway, available to the public for use for travel or transportation.

The nature of a public way is determinable from its origin, as well as the intention and plans of the appropriate authorities and the use to which it has been put. If a particular road or highway is designated as private, its character will not be altered if it is actually a public road or highway. Private Roads are intended for use by a few private individuals, as distinguished from highways that are for public use.

It is essential that a highway be established in a manner recognized by the particular jurisdiction, whether it be by extended use—prescription—or by dedication to the public by the owner of the property subject to the consent of public authorities. Prior to the time that any statutory procedure for the establishment of highways was devised, prescription and dedication were the methods used in common law. Currently, most highways are created by statute.

And then on the VDOT site:
http://www.virginiadot.org/about/vdot_hgwy_sys.asp

It looks like one may need to keep it parked on the lawn and not drive it on any public streets... GAARRRRRrr.....

Posted by: SBS ()
Date: July 16, 2008 02:48PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Janz Wrote:
> >>> So much for a thorough safety inspection.
>
> Safety inspections are a form of taxation. I've
> said that in here before. It's mostly just a
> source of revenue that has little to do with
> "public safety".

That is exactly right. Va's safety record is no better than MD's, and MD doesn't have this safety inspection bullshit except when the vehicle is sold.

Posted by: observer ()
Date: July 16, 2008 02:52PM

SBS Wrote:
>
> That is exactly right. Va's safety record is no
> better than MD's, and MD doesn't have this safety
> inspection bullshit except when the vehicle is
> sold.

I'm not 100% certain it relates directly to an annual state inspection, but have you ever seen how many heaps of junk with Maryland plates are always broken down or abandoned on the Maryland's Interstates as opposed to Virginia. I'd be willing to wager most of those jalopys would never pass inspection in Virginia.

Posted by: SBS ()
Date: July 16, 2008 03:01PM

A properly run inspection program would probably be a good thing, but the official guidelines for VA's version is crap. Failing a vehicle because its parking light lenses don't have a D.O.T. serial number imprinted on them is absolute nonsense.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 16, 2008 08:23PM

muaddib Wrote:
> It looks like one may need to keep it parked on
> the lawn and not drive it on any public streets...
> GAARRRRRrr.....

You cant park your car on the lawn, those are special kinds of highways to be used only by police when chasing suspects

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2008 08:24PM by KeepOnTruckin.

Posted by: Lynn ()
Date: February 26, 2013 12:31AM

My car is a manual and i have no reverse. i have an appointment to get it fixed, but my car has to be inspected before that date. Will it fail because of that?

Posted by: Inspector #9 ()
Date: February 26, 2013 12:40AM

Lynn Wrote:
> My car is a manual and i have no reverse. i have
> an appointment to get it fixed, but my car has to
> be inspected before that date. Will it fail
> because of that?

Gears aren't on the list. The reverse light would nee to work.

Don't know whether there may be some general safety condition that might be a catch-all for things like that.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm#InspectionProgram

At worst you'll get the rejected sticker which will let you drive to have it repaired after the regular sticker expires without being ticketed.

Posted by: backyard mechanic ()
Date: February 26, 2013 07:39AM

Remove headlight fixtures
drill two small air holes on bottom
use fan to clear out condensation
If outsides of lenses are cloudy use rubbing compound
to restore transparancy
re-install
For markers if both are factory and in tact, clean and call the state police to meet you at the inspection station so you can pass.
next time go to Anderson Sunoco In Arlington on Lee hwy at about Harrison St.

Posted by: tee ()
Date: July 09, 2014 10:44AM

If you were rejected and your time has run out to get the issue fixed, but you couldn't afford to fix it, can you go back to get another rejection sticker????? So serious!

Posted by: 9HtLN ()
Date: July 09, 2014 01:48PM

chinese plastic moulded "one peice" light sets. wrong colors used (ie, amber is not DOT AMBER)

worse, in parking lots REVERSE LIGHTS are no longer visible: they damn things reflect sunlight. in a busy parking lot when you most need reverse light warning the things are so bright any bulb lit cannot be seen

-------------------
they should fail all of the imports, technically

Posted by: m6Mh3 ()
Date: July 09, 2014 01:51PM

why? they want you to get in fender benderds.

also asians they put gas pedal and brake pedal real close together. and someone i worked with damage my stuff due to it

and allot of people claim "gas pedal stuck" because the pedals are too close

and no i don't think it's becasue asians have small feet that's bullshit it's beacause they want fender benders

the NHTSA should have failed that there were (are) pedal distance regs.

Posted by: cV7Mw ()
Date: July 09, 2014 01:55PM

asian cars had faulty rear view mirrors that did not pass. they were supposedly auto-dimming and very expensive. but at night they didn't go clear they had tint, and even in a dark garage during mid-day the visibility was FAR SHORT OF LEGAL VISIBILITY for a rear view mirror.

mention it? you get threatened.

what next ? what other foreign feature required on all cars will be engineered to cause the owner's wallet to keep opening

rather than provide a "good faith" product, which in USA unless sold "as-is" is the only legal way to make and sell a product ?

Posted by: GmThT ()
Date: July 09, 2014 01:58PM

> Oh and my headlights where a little foggy from dirt or something.

mechanics don't use the tester. they turn on the headlights they can see the luminance is diminished by fog by more than a little, they fail it.

a slight opaqueness due to aging is allowed (ie, you can see bulb w/o headlight on if not perfectly clearly)

Posted by: dYEdM ()
Date: July 09, 2014 02:00PM

"My car recently failed state inspection due to one marker light being a slightly different yellow then the other"

weird what jackass shop did that?

usu. only a truck lights would end up with that problem, due to lack of control of imports / replacement parts

Posted by: KnW3M ()
Date: July 09, 2014 02:02PM

#1 yes on a highway you might die if your headlights aren't right

#2 yes. on a highway at night a drive might mis-judge how many cars are ahead - or worse - the width of your car, because the lights appear different and don't appear to be on the same car , low visibility or low attention span: which is EXACTLY when they are needed

so yes both things cause highway deaths , which is why VA had a right to regulate HIGHWAY SAFETY

Posted by: N4mU6 ()
Date: July 09, 2014 02:04PM

VA owes to protect idiots from themselves.

really i wish they wouldn't i hope they all die.
Attachments:
img.jpg

Posted by: MichelleLF ()
Date: January 09, 2015 04:23PM

I just moved to VA and I have a million things on my car that would easily fail inspection. 15 days is not enough for me to get all those things done. Between trying to squeeze repairs in and simply not having the money for it. What other opinion do I have? I don't have enough money to get another car and my job is over a hour away.

Posted by: white advice ()
Date: January 09, 2015 04:29PM

MichelleLF Wrote:
> I just moved to VA and I have a million things on
> my car that would easily fail inspection. 15 days
> is not enough for me to get all those things done.
> Between trying to squeeze repairs in and simply
> not having the money for it. What other opinion do
> I have? I don't have enough money to get another
> car and my job is over a hour away.

Put snow over the sticker, or tuck a few leaves under the wiper blades so it covers the sticker.

Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: January 09, 2015 05:20PM

MichelleLF Wrote:
> I just moved to VA and I have a million things on
> my car that would easily fail inspection. 15 days
> is not enough for me to get all those things done.
> Between trying to squeeze repairs in and simply
> not having the money for it. What other opinion do
> I have? I don't have enough money to get another
> car and my job is over a hour away.

If you truly have a million things wrong with your car and it won't pass inspection as a result, we probably would all be better for it failing.

Sad reality, I know, as you sound like you need your car for life, but if dangerous, could hurt or kill someone, including you. See why inspections are for more than about money?

What specifically is wrong with your car? Perhaps a local High School Auto Shop could fix on the cheap? If they still have those programs, which I am not for certain.

Posted by: UnUyD ()
Date: January 10, 2015 08:35PM

booooo. boring.

look it up online va state legal webiste. DUH.

--------------------
yes. you can't use differnt color lenses unless they are temporary yellow tape.

WRONG: marker lights are not required so you only have to disable both or make them both the same luminance and color

WRONG: you said it's safe. i guarantee you BE FUCKING KILLED on a dark rainy night on the highway with improper marker lights. that's exactly why it's the law. because you wouldn't think it'd kill you and it ceratinly WILL.

headlight you can clean or replace. rub hard gino. keep rubbing !

Posted by: 3nMF9 ()
Date: January 10, 2015 08:36PM

don't use brake cleaner while quicly rubbing with a rag

even though it's cheap and may work, it's not the best way

Posted by: yeLcb ()
Date: January 10, 2015 08:40PM

rule #1 never believe the customer

MARKER LIGHT. for truck are required

for car you may be thinking of "accessory light"

if it marks the width of your vehicle and nothing else does (ie, your brake light) it's required. usually you hear "your brake light is out" for that on cars, colloquially

if it's small and separate and doesn't - it isn't

Posted by: Tansu An ()
Date: April 29, 2016 06:54PM

My car was built in 1999 and still running very good but I have check engine lights came on. When I tried to fix it I found out that the company Toyota stop manufacturing that part needs to replace for my car. So there is no way to fix it. What should I do to pass the safety?

Posted by: Crayola ()
Date: April 29, 2016 06:58PM

Easy fix for this one - Get a black Sharpie, and color the light black.

Posted by: yVvbm ()
Date: April 30, 2016 03:12PM

if your car manufacturer hadn't insanely done the opposite of what was sainsmart simply to be difficult, confusing, and costly ...

you could have bought TWO of these and installed them in less time than posting on ffu
Attachments:
img.jpeg

Posted by: YP6FN ()
Date: April 30, 2016 03:15PM

stop wasting your breath there's a utube video for it now !
Attachments:
img.jpeg

Posted by: Bad Experience ()
Date: April 30, 2016 03:48PM

My girlfriend took her car to a inspection station and the car was failed because of worn wiper blades, a bad LF signal bulb, and "Cloudy" headlight lenses.

She declined the station's offer to repair the issues for $375.00 and brought the car home.

There is a plastic polish/cleaner designed to rehab those lenses for $12.00 a squirt bottle, and the bulb and wiper blades were another $15.00

About an hours worth of polishing and beer drinking the issues were repaired.

Here is where things went downhill -

The next afternoon on her way home from work she stopped at the same station to get the "Passing Sticker" on her car. I had only been 2 days since her car was rejected, so the re-inspect was free.

The same inspector remembered her, remembered her car, and he inquired as to who did the repairs. She said that her boyfriend did the repairs, and that everything is fixed. The inspector said the re-inspection was free, but he had to go over the entire car again.

He took the keys, and pulled it into the bay.

He looked over the whole car - including the repaired items, but when was putting the tires back on the car, some of the lug nuts became cross threaded, and he failed the car again because of stripped and worn lug nuts and studs.

He had pulled all 4 wheels, and somehow 2 to 3 studs were stripped on each wheel. He said all of the needed replacement, and the cost would be about $250.00 per wheel for labor plus parts.

She called me on my cell hysterical, and didn't know what to do. I had her tell the inspector to put the wheels back on the car, and do nothing more. I drove to the station to get her, and her car was in the parking area. The car was drivable, but some of the wheels only had 2 lug nuts holding them on.

We got the car home. A buddy of mine came over, and he took his thread restorer kit to the studs, and we put in 20 new lug nuts.

I took my razor scraper to the rejection sticker, and I ran the car over to a station I use when I get my car inspected - It passed - I paid the $15.00 - No Questions asked.

Before you take your car to get it inspected, ask friends or family which station to go to. There are some bad ones out there.

Posted by: njTEC ()
Date: April 30, 2016 04:09PM

Bad experience,

When he re-inspected it he should have ONLY LOOKED AT WHAT IT WAS REJECTED FOR. ONLY if it was past the 15 days was he supposed to re-check EVERYTHING. This is a LIE on his part!

He was obviously trying to make shit up to drum up business because he was mad you took it elsewhere to be repaired and was trying to get over on the lady! HE is probably the one who stripped the lugs, out of spite! If they passed 2 days ago, why would it fail now???

REPORT IT TO THE VA STATE POLICE!!!

Posted by: Sketched ()
Date: April 30, 2016 07:01PM

Bad Experience Wrote:
> My girlfriend took her car to a inspection station
> and the car was failed because of worn wiper
> blades, a bad LF signal bulb, and "Cloudy"
> headlight lenses.
>
> She declined the station's offer to repair the
> issues for $375.00 and brought the car home.
>
> There is a plastic polish/cleaner designed to
> rehab those lenses for $12.00 a squirt bottle, and
> the bulb and wiper blades were another $15.00
>
> About an hours worth of polishing and beer
> drinking the issues were repaired.
>
> Here is where things went downhill -
>
> The next afternoon on her way home from work she
> stopped at the same station to get the "Passing
> Sticker" on her car. I had only been 2 days since
> her car was rejected, so the re-inspect was free.
>
> The same inspector remembered her, remembered her
> car, and he inquired as to who did the repairs.
> She said that her boyfriend did the repairs, and
> that everything is fixed. The inspector said the
> re-inspection was free, but he had to go over the
> entire car again.
>
> He took the keys, and pulled it into the bay.
>
> He looked over the whole car - including the
> repaired items, but when was putting the tires
> back on the car, some of the lug nuts became cross
> threaded, and he failed the car again because of
> stripped and worn lug nuts and studs.
>
> He had pulled all 4 wheels, and somehow 2 to 3
> studs were stripped on each wheel. He said all of
> the needed replacement, and the cost would be
> about $250.00 per wheel for labor plus parts.
>
> She called me on my cell hysterical, and didn't
> know what to do. I had her tell the inspector to
> put the wheels back on the car, and do nothing
> more. I drove to the station to get her, and her
> car was in the parking area. The car was drivable,
> but some of the wheels only had 2 lug nuts holding
> them on.
>
> We got the car home. A buddy of mine came over,
> and he took his thread restorer kit to the studs,
> and we put in 20 new lug nuts.
>
> I took my razor scraper to the rejection sticker,
> and I ran the car over to a station I use when I
> get my car inspected - It passed - I paid the
> $15.00 - No Questions asked.
>
> Before you take your car to get it inspected, ask
> friends or family which station to go to. There
> are some bad ones out there.

Where was this shady station?

Date: May 05, 2016 07:11AM

I brought a car from a car lot in 01/2016, a sticker was on it and expired in 4/2016. i too it back to the same lot for inspection. It failed with major repairs. Is it illegal in VA to sell a vehicle off a lot that can not pass inspection?

Posted by: inspector clusoe ()
Date: May 05, 2016 08:11AM

It's not illegal to sell a car that would fail inspection, but you should be suspicious about whether the damage existed at the time of the last inspection.

You guys should also reconsider buying cars from these shady ass lots that mostly cater to nigger pimps and beaners. These giant repairs are going to be par for the course from them.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.