HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The new $chool Board
Posted by: $$$ ()
Date: February 09, 2012 11:19PM

Just watched the school board meeting. It sounds like they want $130+ million more next year and want more central staff to serve the new school board. Get elected, want power. Same old same old.

I like that Moon took it to the others asking where the cuts should be made. Nobody proposed cuts, just more spending or said nothing. Funny.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The new $chool Board
Posted by: Joan Rivers ()
Date: February 10, 2012 01:07PM

I'm wondering if that Tammy lady is as ditzy in real life as she appears at these meetings. And is Pat Hynes the new Tessie Wilson? Does she care about her appearance at all. Someone intro her to a good salon and Covergirl cosmetics. Moon - when you can understand him- is as dumb as rocks too. No one bothers proposing cuts because Moon will never support making the really money savers in firing deadwood central staffers. Storck finally is getting his rocks on though and seems to be giving oldies like Strauss and Smith some heartburn.

Posted by: follow the money ()
Date: February 10, 2012 11:25PM

More like 200 million

All of this from http://www.fcps.edu/news/fy2013/bottomline/bottomline021012.html

On February 9, the Fairfax County School Board adopted the 2012-13 (FY 2013) Advertised Budget of $2.4 billion, an increase of 8.9 percent, or $200.6 million, from the FY 2012 Approved Budget. The FY 2013 budget includes 741.3 new positions…

Creating a placeholder of $200,000 to fund a consultant study of the Food & Nutrition Services Program to identify cost-effective ways of making FCPS school food healthier…

Creating a placeholder of $600,000 in the School Board Office budget to provide increased school board member staff…

Providing funding of up to $100,000 to revise and reproduce the Parent Advocacy Handbook…

Providing funding of $19,590 to record (audio and video) all School Board work sessions of the full Board…

To enable FCPS to stay competitive, the School Board approved a 2 percent market scale adjustment and a step increase for all eligible employees…

FCPS receives the majority of its funding from Fairfax County and this year will request an increase of 8.4 percent over FY 2012. The projected cost per pupil for FY 2013 will be $13,645, an increase of 6.4 percent over the FY 2012 budget.

Posted by: They talked the talk ()
Date: February 11, 2012 10:14AM

$600,000 for the School Board office????

Isn't that part of the Central Office which these elected Board members said they wanted cuts in?

Their election platforms were crap...here they go spending tax dollars on themselves. If they can't do the work then why did they run?

This Board is a mess.

Posted by: WestfieldDad ()
Date: February 11, 2012 11:54AM

They talked the talk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> $600,000 for the School Board office????
>
> Isn't that part of the Central Office which these
> elected Board members said they wanted cuts in?
>
> Their election platforms were crap...here they go
> spending tax dollars on themselves. If they can't
> do the work then why did they run?
>
> This Board is a mess.

This is one of the explicit changes the Board members ran on. That, if they were not to be just a rubber stamp for Staff, they needed their own staff, reportable only to them, to support them in obtaining information independent of the bureaucracy.

Given Staff's propensity to spawn utterly inane ideas, the only question is whether $600K is anywhere near enough.

Date: February 11, 2012 12:26PM

They didn't run on this, I checked their websites---nothing was said about adding more staff.

They want staff to do their work...go figure?

All this Board has done is cost the taxpayer money and taken the money away from the students. Let's say it like it really is.

McLaughen has dumbed down the system with Fairgrade and Honors--if you look at it Fairgrade inflated GPAs and Honors was reinstated without an analysis on AP effectiveness.

Great start for this Board--should we really be surprised?

Posted by: $$$ ()
Date: February 11, 2012 01:21PM

I know the economy is better around here than in most places, but asking for a 9% & 200 million dollar increase is ridiculous. Why not send a real budget to the county? And adding a bunch of money to serve the newly elected board seems amazingly tone deaf. Looking at this budget, I’m surprised they didn’t ask for a pay raise for school board members too.

Date: February 11, 2012 03:47PM

To $$$:

I heard Ms Reed from the Oakton area suggested a salary of $75,000.00 with benefits for School Board members. Isn't she a Republican?

What a story they all sold the public. So true, they should send a realistic budget to the BOS anything else is a waste of time.

SHAME ON THEM!

Posted by: Harry Bloom ()
Date: February 11, 2012 05:11PM

> They didn't run on this, I checked their
> websites---nothing was said about adding more
> staff.
>
> They want staff to do their work...go figure?
>
> >
> McLaughen has dumbed down the system with
> Fairgrade and Honors--if you look at it Fairgrade
> inflated GPAs and Honors was reinstated without an
> analysis on AP effectiveness.
>

Amen...and the scary thing is that she has only just begun to bring distruction through her ridiculous ideas. I predict disaster for the school system, and the West Springfield pyramid, in partcicular, before she is done.

Posted by: Random Dude ()
Date: February 11, 2012 05:48PM

> To $$$:
>
> I heard Ms Reed from the Oakton area suggested a
> salary of $75,000.00 with benefits for School
> Board members. Isn't she a Republican?

I sincerely hope this isn't true. If it is, she's suggesting that a school board member receive the same pay as a teacher with...

*A BA and 20 years of teaching experience (74,395)
*A Master's and 18 years of experience (75,342)
*An Ed.D and 16 years of experience (74,530)

Say what you will about teachers (there are plenty of FFXU threads for that), but a school board member asking for a pay bump equal to a teacher with that much experience is weak sauce imho.

Posted by: board observer ()
Date: February 11, 2012 06:26PM

from Patch:

"This is an incremental budget. That’s one approach. I would advocate for a zero-based budget. Lets start from the bottom up, what's in the classroom and what's needed to support the classroom? This is a fundamentally different strategy and approach," said Patty Reed (Providence), who said she agreed with several of the amendments made to the budget but could not support it as a whole. "This is not a dance, this is not a game. This is about doing good business with our county’s dollars and with our partners on the Board of Supervisors."

Doesn't sound to me like Reed is advocating for an increase in her salary.

I find it hard to believe she would be advocating for a salary of $75,000 for herself.

Posted by: observe this ()
Date: February 11, 2012 08:51PM

Taken from FCPS website, budget question responses. Looks like Patty wants it both ways...

School Board Member Requesting Information: Patricia Reed

Answer Prepared By: Susan Quinn

Date Prepared: February 2, 2012
Question:
What would be the total cost associated with giving school board members annual salaries of $75,000
with benefits? What would be the total additional cost to the school board office, taking into account
our current stipend of $20,000? Please also include an identification of any legal constraints.

Response:
Each County Board of Supervisors member, including the chairman, receives annual compensation of
$75,000 per year. This amount was set on April 24, 2006, effective January 1, 2008. This rate remains
in effect through December 31, 2015. For FY 2013, the total cost of giving each School Board member,
including the chairman, an annual salary of $75,000 would be approximately $1.0 million. The
additional cost to the School Board Office would be approximately $0.7 million. No salary increases may
become effective during an incumbent member’s term of office.

Posted by: Tripling their salary and adding more staff ()
Date: February 11, 2012 10:23PM

observe this Wrote:
> Taken from FCPS website, budget question
> responses. Looks like Patty wants it both ways...
>
> School Board Member Requesting Information:
> Patricia Reed
>
> Answer Prepared By: Susan Quinn
>
> Date Prepared: February 2, 2012
> Question:
> What would be the total cost associated with
> giving school board members annual salaries of
> $75,000
> with benefits? What would be the total additional
> cost to the school board office, taking into
> account
> our current stipend of $20,000? Please also
> include an identification of any legal
> constraints.
>
> Response:
> Each County Board of Supervisors member, including
> the chairman, receives annual compensation of
> $75,000 per year. This amount was set on April 24,
> 2006, effective January 1, 2008. This rate
> remains
> in effect through December 31, 2015. For FY 2013,
> the total cost of giving each School Board
> member,
> including the chairman, an annual salary of
> $75,000 would be approximately $1.0 million. The
> additional cost to the School Board Office would
> be approximately $0.7 million. No salary increases
> may
> become effective during an incumbent member’s
> term of office.

Incredible. Thank goodness it sounds like they can't vote themselves an immediate pay raise. But asking about $700,000 for higher school board salaries and $600,000 for more school board staff? I'm sure we could do a lot better for kids with 1.3 million than to spend it on the school board.

Posted by: Dewey ()
Date: February 11, 2012 10:47PM

The new board meetings are painful to watch. Some of the members have no clue about procedure. Students in model united nations could out-maneuver them with a solid understanding of Roberts rules of order. Some are blatantly political posers. They are trying to fulfill campaign promises and don't seem to get that the money is not there to pay for their wish lists. The 600k is to hire staff to do tasks for them so they can listen and respond to constituents. They way they forced the honors courses to be implemented immediately is a joke and will result in peer tracking which is obvious some of them wanted in the first place. It will be a very long four years.

Posted by: Why so many? ()
Date: February 11, 2012 10:54PM

Why does Fairfax have 12 school board members and Loudoun only has 9? Is there a rule about how many people we need on a school board? It seems like we could cut some school board members and save some money?

Posted by: help the kids ()
Date: February 11, 2012 11:56PM

Who cares how many there are---what matters is what they do. Coming in and voting more money for yourselves is not the way to start off . . .

Date: February 12, 2012 12:03AM

Patty Reed IMHO has done little but whine and try to inflate Central Office staff and budget. She talks the talk but doesn't provide the action. Schultz and McLaughlin and perhaps Evans are in it with her. Schultz wanted a "green kitchen" to open in the old Clifton ES---according to staff this would cost millions. What the heck is a green kitchen, are they opening a shelter there?

These appear to be special interest members who want it THEIR way----
So the question is------When do the kids matter?

This Board is a mess but apparently fun to watch, heard McLaughlin was in tears because she couldn't have it her way at one of their meetings.

Posted by: Budgeteer ()
Date: February 12, 2012 12:23AM

The current FCPS budget is the Superintendent's advertised budget -- which was accepted by the School Board on a split vote to be advertised. The School Board will make some adjustments and changes to the numbers over the next couple of weeks -- before the School Board presents the (revised) FCPS budget request to the County Board of Supervisors.

The currrent FCPS budget request is ridiculous and is not able to be funded by the County (without a large tax increase on all local residents). Jack Dale and FCPS will be lucky to get even 4% from the County for an increase -- no where near the current 8.4% increase.

The FCPS Board has the same number of seats as there are Board of Supervisor Districts (9 Districts), plus 3 at large seats. The number of at large seats can be changed.

There is a Bill in the General Assembly to stagger the FCPS Board elections so you won't have all 12 coming up for election at one time.

Date: February 12, 2012 06:07AM

Dewey said:
"The new board meetings are painful to watch. Some of the members have no clue about procedure. Students in model united nations could out-maneuver them with a solid understanding of Roberts rules of order. Some are blatantly political posers. They are trying to fulfill campaign promises and don't seem to get that the money is not there to pay for their wish lists. The 600k is to hire staff to do tasks for them so they can listen and respond to constituents. They way they forced the honors courses to be implemented immediately is a joke and will result in peer tracking which is obvious some of them wanted in the first place. It will be a very long four years."

I'm far more concerned about the old board members--particularly the chairman. Have you watched one of these meetings? I watched one, and Janie Strauss-the chairman--had to have Moon walk her through every step. She was having trouble with the computer--she repeatedly said"Technology is great,when it works." However, Moon didn't seem to be having trouble with it.

Personally, I do not like the idea of a $75000 stipend. However, these members--like them or not--do put in tons of time. I do not see how they can also work at a full time job. As far as staff, I suspect that they do need more staff to support them. At least, staff for them would not mean more paperwork for teachers--unlike the Supe's staff. I think more staff would help them find the answers to questions that Dale's staff can't seem to answer.--If you look back through last year's questions, you will find some pretty cavalier answers--like telling them where to find it--but not answering the question.

One of the items some of the sb members have discussed is having a more transparent budget--this may be so that they don't have to spend hours researching an answer to a simple question.

Also, just because Reed asked a question, doesn't mean she is in favor of that. She may have asked it to prove a point for another member.

As far as the Honors classes, they should have approved it. Staff had tons of time to 'study" this and chose not to do so. The parents wanted it, and, I understand, the teachers wanted it, too. Jack Dale did not want it, enough said.
I would much rather see "tracking" in high school than in elementary.

Posted by: louiset ()
Date: February 12, 2012 07:18AM

this is what you get when you elect Republicans, haha, "smaller government" I don't think so...

Posted by: no sense ()
Date: February 12, 2012 07:37AM

board observer Wrote:
> Dewey said:
> "The new board meetings are painful to watch. Some
> of the members have no clue about procedure.
> Students in model united nations could
> out-maneuver them with a solid understanding of
> Roberts rules of order. Some are blatantly
> political posers. They are trying to fulfill
> campaign promises and don't seem to get that the
> money is not there to pay for their wish lists.
> The 600k is to hire staff to do tasks for them so
> they can listen and respond to constituents. They
> way they forced the honors courses to be
> implemented immediately is a joke and will result
> in peer tracking which is obvious some of them
> wanted in the first place. It will be a very long
> four years."
>
> I'm far more concerned about the old board
> members--particularly the chairman. Have you
> watched one of these meetings? I watched one, and
> Janie Strauss-the chairman--had to have Moon walk
> her through every step. She was having trouble
> with the computer--she repeatedly said"Technology
> is great,when it works." However, Moon didn't
> seem to be having trouble with it.
>
> Personally, I do not like the idea of a $75000
> stipend. However, these members--like them or
> not--do put in tons of time. I do not see how
> they can also work at a full time job. As far as
> staff, I suspect that they do need more staff to
> support them. At least, staff for them would not
> mean more paperwork for teachers--unlike the
> Supe's staff. I think more staff would help them
> find the answers to questions that Dale's staff
> can't seem to answer.--If you look back through
> last year's questions, you will find some pretty
> cavalier answers--like telling them where to find
> it--but not answering the question.
>
> One of the items some of the sb members have
> discussed is having a more transparent
> budget--this may be so that they don't have to
> spend hours researching an answer to a simple
> question.
>
> Also, just because Reed asked a question, doesn't
> mean she is in favor of that. She may have asked
> it to prove a point for another member.
>
> As far as the Honors classes, they should have
> approved it. Staff had tons of time to 'study"
> this and chose not to do so. The parents wanted
> it, and, I understand, the teachers wanted it,
> too. Jack Dale did not want it, enough said.
> I would much rather see "tracking" in high school
> than in elementary.

What I don't get about Reed, or anyone else, asking that question is how simple of a question it is. Do they really need someone from FCPS central office to tell them how much it would cost to give 12 people a $55k raise? Bust out the calculator people.

Posted by: SB Maze ()
Date: February 12, 2012 07:45AM

Not sure about Strauss not being able to work computer, did not see that, but did see Schultz and McLaughlin not have a clue about the difference between a proposal and an amendment and make fools of themselves as a result.Regarding honors, only FCFT asked teachers their opinion and just 378 members responded to their survey and just a small number of those were HS English and SS teachers who have to teach the new courses. No thought on the part of the board for what implementation means in creating the courses. You can say all you want about staff having 15 months to implement honors, the vote caught most teachers off guard and now the scramble to find resources and write curriculum. Many teachers are willing to have the honors courses offered, but wonder if there is a great demand for them - especially on grade 12 when generally students and not their parents make the selection.It will be interesting to see what the students choose. Regarding the budget - glad that VA is mandating personal finance for all students. Some SB members need to take such a course themselves as a basic element of finance is to have money on hand to pay bills. Any of them who think the BOS will fully fund the desired transfer must still believe in the tooth fairy.

Posted by: former teacher ()
Date: February 12, 2012 07:53AM

As far as the teachers being caught "off guard", this topic has been on the table a long time. Blame Gatehouse--especially Dale and Noonan. Remember last year when Noonan "solved" the problem by putting Honors online?

Dale and Noonan were against this because the community wanted it. It is arrogance that they didn't listen. The School Board went with what the community wanted--they are elected to their jobs and should represent the community and the students. This is in the best interest of the students. Yes, AP helps the school's standing with Mathews' "Challenge Index", but it is not right for all good students. The CI is why Dale wants AP only.

The teachers have six months to develop the Honors classes for next year--people, this is not rocket science--nor is it new. Believe me, it is less work for the teachers than AP.

Date: February 12, 2012 08:00AM

Theytalked the talk said:

"This Board is a mess but apparently fun to watch, heard McLaughlin was in tears because she couldn't have it her way at one of their meetings."

You've obviously not been watching the SB very long--Kathy Smith cries on a regular basis. Bradsher used to, as well. Hone did, too. I don't remember seeing Tessie cry or Strauss, but they probably have.

Crying isn't the issue--voting is. So far, I've been pleased with Schultz and McLaughlin--even though they have not voted exactly the way I would have. Smith surpised me in voting against the budget. That surprised me. All of them should have voted against it. It is ridiculous to think they believe that they should ask for that much money. This is not bargaining at the flea market. Asking for ridiculous amounts of money takes up way too much time and is not a good way of doing business. Get real.

Posted by: an observer too ()
Date: February 12, 2012 08:29AM

As for crying never saw Smith or or for that matter Bradsher cry, did recall Hone walk out and --classic drama, Reed cried about Hone or something. Must have had a close relationship.

Schutlz and McLaughlin are all about themselves they are nothing but one issue candidates who think it is about them and not the kids. Before McLauglin leaves this Board we will have a system that resembles her home state of California. God knows she talks about it at every meeting. And then; we go bankrupt. She appears to be well on her way to getting there. "Dumbed down the system" as posted above and now the budget.

Posted by: SBMaze ()
Date: February 12, 2012 08:33AM

We can blame whoever we want about notification, however teachers do not have six months to develop the courses unless you count summer months when many of them are working other jobs. In any event, most book/material orders have to be in by May 1 and there should be thought put into what needs to be ordered unless the tracking is in name only, not having to do with content. Teachers will teach what they are told to teach. Many of them will not find out their exact schedules until August. Registration is being done now for rising seniors in most schools. We will know by April 1 how many sections there are of each level. Successful implementation takes more than a week or two in order to let students know what will be studied. Course descriptions written by the state are generic. It is absolutely correct that AP is not for all students. My guess is that it will take about two years to insure the courses offered are appropriate fits. Even then some students/parents will not make the right choices. The true task is to be sure that all courses are rigorous and will prepare students for professional and academic lives. Great teachers will do this despite what the SB or the Staff cooks up. Students should take exit surveys upon graduation about how well they think they are prepared. And it would be great if they could respond to a survey two or three years after graduation. Students are the best source of information - better than their parents and their teachers and staff and especially the SB!

Date: February 12, 2012 08:37AM

I don't know how you missed Smith's tears. Especially when she talks about "the children."

How are McLaughlin and Schultz "one issue"?? No one was more "one issue" than Bradsher. She made it clear from the get-go that she was going to get that MS--and she did--at the expense of many other areas in FCPS--especially West Springfield and Falls Church.

Date: February 12, 2012 09:26AM

Board Observer you are mistaken and no doubt a gadfly on the Board from one of those little groups. That MS was not even in her District it was Storck's,she was the one that revised the CIP to include West Springfield and Falls Church-- So go back to the tape and watch that one.

Back to the topic, Schultz and her green kitchen costing millions and McLaughlin causing the fall of the system due to her their egos. Both could not get along with a tree.

Posted by: another observer ()
Date: February 12, 2012 10:00AM

Bradsher made it clear to Navy Elem. parents that her goal was to get South County Middle School built. This was when she was first elected to the school board and the parents were fighting to stay at Chantilly. She made it clear that she was not going to jeopardize her politics and lose South County Middle.

Date: February 12, 2012 10:28AM

What?? I don't think so.

And so what, South County was over capacity, everyone knew something had to be done ---what is the big deal and who really cares?
She got a school, more than the others.

Posted by: FFXParent ()
Date: February 12, 2012 11:18AM

Dewey Wrote:
> The new board meetings are painful to watch. Some
> of the members have no clue about procedure.

Watching Megan "Clueless" McLaughlin is quite a comedy show. Once Chairman Janie talks down to others (including McLaughlin and Schultz), it is reminiscent of Monty Python.

Posted by: How much is enough? ()
Date: February 12, 2012 11:57AM

The school board already has a staff of 10. How many more are they asking for?

http://fcps.edu/schlbd/staff.shtml

Posted by: we can do it ()
Date: February 12, 2012 02:49PM

"We can blame whoever we want about notification, however teachers do not have six months to develop the courses unless you count summer months when many of them are working other jobs. In any event, most book/material orders have to be in by May 1 and there should be thought put into what needs to be ordered unless the tracking is in name only, not having to do with content. Teachers will teach what they are told to teach. Many of them will not find out their exact schedules until August. Registration is being done now for rising seniors in most schools. We will know by April 1 how many sections there are of each level. Successful implementation takes more than a week or two in order to let students know what will be studied. Course descriptions written by the state are generic. It is absolutely correct that AP is not for all students. My guess is that it will take about two years to insure the courses offered are appropriate fits. Even then some students/parents will not make the right choices. The true task is to be sure that all courses are rigorous and will prepare students for professional and academic lives. Great teachers will do this despite what the SB or the Staff cooks up. Students should take exit surveys upon graduation about how well they think they are prepared. And it would be great if they could respond to a survey two or three years after graduation. Students are the best source of information - better than their parents and their teachers and staff and especially the SB!"

TJHS never got rid of those honor courses. They have the curriculum. Other schools can get it. As someone above stated "it's not rocket science". Believe it or not, other schools across the state and in the USA have those honors courses and the curriculum is out there. We are not alone in the universe even though we act like we are the center of the universe (or that we created it).

I think plenty of students and parents will be happy to have these choices. I have a son going into 12th grade. He was recommended for AP English Lang this year, but didn't take it because he thought it would be too much with 2 other AP classes. He would have enrolled in an honors course if it had been available. His English 11 course is definitely a step down from the English 10 Pre-AP he took last year. He is not involved in any good discussions in there (and last year he had fantastic ones).

Posted by: SBMaze ()
Date: February 12, 2012 03:22PM

Yes -they do have honors courses at TJ. And just about all the students take a form of combo civ classes - (combined Eng and SS.) There is more to curriculum planning than taking the resources of a magnet school such as TJ. All of its students excel. All have the tools before entering HS to succeed. Most taking the honors options for Eng and SS at TJ are taking science and math courses well above what are offered in other FCPS schools. TJ is not representative of the other schools. You can't take TJ's books, TJ's teachers' plans, TJ's teams, TJ's vertical articulation plan and paste it into other FCPS schools. There is far more to curriculum planning than copying a course description rom TJ or other schools around the country. Teachers want to make this work for their non TJ students.GIve them a chance to do it. However to imply you can just do what TJ does is simplistic and not feasible.

Posted by: does anyone have common sense? ()
Date: February 12, 2012 03:37PM

First, it sounds like the opponents of the Honors classes on this board have had way too much of the FCPS Kool-Aid and think that it takes 15 people in Gatehouse working two years to develop anything.

Let's use a little common sense here:

English classes have been around for quite some time--even when I was in high school. I don't think I am mistaken when I say that most English classes still consist of instruction in reading and writing.

When I was in high school, most of the writing instruction and assignments revolved around the literature you were assigned to read. I would assume, that is still pretty much the case. (I would also hope they would give some guidance about college essays, cover letters for a resume, etc.)

I would think there are two ways to approach this: reading more literature and writing more essays; or, reading tougher literature and writing longer essays and research papers. Probably, an Honors class should include both approaches.

As far as History classes, I would think the same concept would apply. Read more in-depth books to include more primary sources and write research papers that include more resources.

Just how hard is this? If the teachers aren't up to this task, we are in worse shape than I thought.

Date: February 12, 2012 03:40PM

You are correct that TJ is not the same as other schools. However, to suggest that nothing from TJ can be applied to other schools is wrong. When you say that at TJ "all have the tools before entering HS to succeed", you are implying that students at other schools do not have the tools to succeed in HS. I beg to differ. It's not TJ or zero. There can be high standards in subjects at other schools as well.

I do not think that TJ's curriculum will be EXACTLY correct for other high schools. What I mean to say is that the other schools are not starting at zero in creating a curriculum. I do believe that TJ can communicate with other schools and help them with curriculum, don't you think?

Date: February 12, 2012 03:44PM

does anyone have common sense wrote:

"First, it sounds like the opponents of the Honors classes on this board have had way too much of the FCPS Kool-Aid and think that it takes 15 people in Gatehouse working two years to develop anything.

Let's use a little common sense here:

English classes have been around for quite some time--even when I was in high school. I don't think I am mistaken when I say that most English classes still consist of instruction in reading and writing.

When I was in high school, most of the writing instruction and assignments revolved around the literature you were assigned to read. I would assume, that is still pretty much the case. (I would also hope they would give some guidance about college essays, cover letters for a resume, etc.)

I would think there are two ways to approach this: reading more literature and writing more essays; or, reading tougher literature and writing longer essays and research papers. Probably, an Honors class should include both approaches.

As far as History classes, I would think the same concept would apply. Read more in-depth books to include more primary sources and write research papers that include more resources.

Just how hard is this? If the teachers aren't up to this task, we are in worse shape than I thought."

+1,000,000

Posted by: Not enough info ()
Date: February 12, 2012 04:13PM

Who voted how? And several of the new members ran on the promise to create a board-level auditor position that answers directly to them and not Jack Dale (at least ¼ of the $600K if not more) and to beef up the community outreach and communications staff. I had hoped they were going to take this out of hide, but maybe they didn't know enough yet to start whacking away. We'll see. And unfortunately, the commies in this county returned every liberal that ran and all the vacant at-large seats were also filled by big-spending liberals. Such is FCPS. Run by liberals, overseen by liberals and teaching liberal doctrine. Two new conservative members are a small speed bump to the big-spending bohemoth that is this school system. $2.4 Billion!!! incredible

Posted by: Two Feet In The Grave ()
Date: February 12, 2012 05:59PM

There are a few good, competent School Board members. But--and I'm no gadfly and I don't watch all the meetings, though I've attended some--I've been surprised at how--maybe dumb, maybe dense, maybe mediocre, maybe uncreative--limited many of them seem to be.

Yes, some clearly have their own agendas. And I'm sure there's some Democrat vs. Republican influence. But a lot of what I've seen just seems to reflect mediocrity.

A side note: Back in 1970, Senator Roman Hruska (R-NE) defended a weak Supreme Court nominee--Carswell--by saying, "So what if he is mediocre? There are a lot of mediocre judges and people and lawyers. They are entitled to a little representation, aren't they? We can't have all Brandeises, Cardozos, and Frankfurters and stuff like that there." Maybe that explains the makeup of much of the School Board.

"does anyone have any common sense?" makes valid points about what should be taught. When I attended school here (let's just say it was Woodson in the 1960s--and you thought my moniker "Two Feet In The Grave" might be an exaggeration!)--that's what was taught. And it was taught pretty straighforwardly. Problem is: There are all these hot trends, these "flavors of the month." They'll try them for a few years, then realize how disastrous they really are. "New Math" and open classrooms come to mind, but that was just in my era. There have been plenty since.

Now, kids absolutely have different learning styles. And the right use of technology is great. But that doesn't alter the fact that the material has to be taught somehow--conveyed to students in a way they understand. Too many of these hot trends somehow assume that you can take a short cut around content and substitute some "innovative" approach for substance.

And there also seems to be an approach that you develop a "good" course--whether it's AP or honors or whatever. But you start with a good, solid, challenging program and then "dumb it down" to the ordinary curriculum. (Sounds like that's the experience "we can do it" had with her son.)

Why not do it the other way: Develop solid, challenging "regular" courses and then add additional challenges to them for honors?

Posted by: What it's all about ()
Date: February 12, 2012 06:13PM

Let’s say it like it is. We’re trying to pad some of our students’ resumes.

With “honors” courses a kid earns an extra .5 on his/her GPA per “honors” credit. The added GPA credit, along with the lower grading scale, means a kid scoring a 90 now earns a 4.2 towards his/her GPA. Two or three years ago the same student would have earned a 3.5. Several years earlier this student would have earned a 3.0, as a score of 90 resulted in a B. B used to mean 3.0.

Now there will be remedial, regular, honors, and AP classes for juniors and seniors. Why not add “somewhat” honors classes for an extra .25 GPA? These somewhat gifted kids need help, too.

Posted by: common sense ()
Date: February 12, 2012 06:30PM

Two feet in the grave said to start with solid, challenging "regular" classes. I agree that makes sense. Unfortunately, because of the avoidance of "tracking" in the high school, too many of the kids in these classes belong in remedial classes.

One of my friends, whose son was in a "regular" English class asked the teacher if the class would work on college essays. The reply was that not enough of the kids needed them.......

This is one of the reasons we need Honors classes.

I was surprised and pleased that Ted Velkoff-at one of the meeting in January when people were advocating for Honors classes--commented at the end of the SB meeting, that there appeared to be a problem with the standard classes, and that the SB needed to look into this. (I am paraphrasing.) I did not vote for him, but I think he found the elephant in the room. I hope the SB takes action on this.

FCPS spends too much time figuring out how to finesse and hide poor student achievement instead of fixing it. Here's a clue: it is not fixed by giving teachers more paperwork; it is not fixed by hiring specialists in Gatehouse; it is not fixed by hiring more office staff; and, it is not fixed with ecart.

It is fixed by good solid instruction in classes of reasonable size. It starts at the primary level and it is not measured by constant paper tests. But, more important, and I don't know how to fix this, it starts in the home. If the parents don't talk to their children and read to them, it is very difficult to catch up. We have got to get the attention of parents on this. This is what Ms. Hone needs to work on.

Posted by: Megan ()
Date: February 12, 2012 06:36PM

louiset Wrote:
> this is what you get when you elect Republicans,
> haha, "smaller government" I don't think so...

You are an idiot. The Democrats won the elections of 2010 and control the school board more than ever.

Posted by: common sense?? ()
Date: February 12, 2012 06:52PM

common sense Wrote:
> > It is fixed by good solid instruction in classes
> of reasonable size. It starts at the primary
> level and it is not measured by constant paper
> tests. But, more important, and I don't know how
> to fix this, it starts in the home. If the
> parents don't talk to their children and read to
> them, it is very difficult to catch up. We have
> got to get the attention of parents on this. This
> is what Ms. Hone needs to work on.

Not sure how adding more school board staff will lead to smaller class sizes and to parents reading to their kids. And I thought Hone left the school board.

Posted by: common sense ()
Date: February 12, 2012 07:00PM

I did not say anything about adding to the school board.

Ms. Hone is now an advocate for minority students. She has testified at at least two school board meetings since she left. She is advocating for better instruction for minority students. While I understand her concerns, I know from experience, that unless she first gets the families engaged, it will be very difficult for the teachers to make a difference.

I know this from experience. Young children need support from home. I believe that almost all parents love their children--but they don't all know the importance of education. They don't all know how important it is for their children to get to school every day and on time. They don't all know how important it is to talk to their childrena and read to them. These are the foundations for learning.

Posted by: common sense?? ()
Date: February 12, 2012 07:10PM

Seems like Hone is only an advocate for herself. If she wanted to get things done she would have while she was on the school board. It must be easier just to complain.

I agree with your other points.

Posted by: more common sense ()
Date: February 12, 2012 07:17PM

I'm getting really off topic here:

The reason minority students do well in charter schools as opposed to the normal neighborhood schools, is based on the fact that the parents are engaged and want their child to have a better education--i.e. the charter schools have supportive parents and homes.

I do feel sorry for the parents in lottery systems whose children do not get picked for the "better' schools.

This has nothing to do with FCPS, but I just wanted to get in my two cents on this.

Date: February 12, 2012 07:28PM

I think Common Sense and More Common Sense have got it -

"Seems like Hone is only an advocate for herself. If she wanted to get things done she would have while she was on the school board. It must be easier just to complain."

Hone did nothing but talked a good game--Schultz, Reed, McLaughlin --- will follow in those footsteps. Reed--$75,000 + benies for staff, what planet is she on?

"The reason minority students do well in charter schools as opposed to the normal neighborhood schools, is based on the fact that the parents are engaged..." Dead on.

Posted by: budget vote ()
Date: February 12, 2012 07:36PM

Motion by Ilryong Moon - Vice Chairman, second by Sandra S Evans.
Final Resolution: Motion Carries
Yes: Ryan McElveen, Tamara D Kaufax, Daniel G Storck, Jane K Strauss - Chairman, Ilryong Moon - Vice Chairman, Sandra S Evans, Patricia Hynes
No: Kathy L Smith, Elizabeth Schultz, Megan McLaughlin, Theodore Velkoff, Patricia S Reed

This was the vote on the 2013 budget--asking for 8.4% increase......

Posted by: Call the Shots ()
Date: February 12, 2012 08:39PM

Posted by: Two Feet In The Grave ()
Date: February 12, 2012 05:59PM

There are a few good, competent School Board members. But--and I'm no gadfly and I don't watch all the meetings, though I've attended some--I've been surprised at how--maybe dumb, maybe dense, maybe mediocre, maybe uncreative--limited many of them seem to be.

This ship of fools is led by an old bag who has overstayed her welcome in FCPS - yes that gray old mare Jane or Janie or whatever she goes by Strauss. She's built up a fiefdom so large that of course FCPS central staffers - who want to protect their cushy, high-paid jobs will do her bidding. I hope the new school board members can survive this snake-pit she's built up. And while I'm not big on more spending, if giving School Board members some staff who work just for them, and not Jack Dale - then maybe we taxpayers will start to see some real bang for the buck on programs and get rid of all the dead weight. Kudos to Schultz, McLaughlin, Reede, Evans and Storck for the having some spine. I don't hold out much hope for that bimbo named Tammy something or that sleeper Pat. As for the pro-FCPS comments on this thread, sounds like FCPS communications out doing its spin - or maybe it's that sockless dolt that works for Strauss - Tom Thompson.

Date: February 13, 2012 08:34AM

Let's take this apart:

Kathy L Smith, Elizabeth Schultz, Megan McLaughlin, Theodore Velkoff, Patricia S Reed - against the budget

Smith voted against the budget for reasons of the omnibus motion and differences in the omnibus.

Schultz, McLaughlin and Reed voted against it because they were told to by Herrity and party. McLaughlin isn't kidding anyone with her supposed "D" ties, Schultz wants to reopen Clifton and Reed just does what they tell her.

So that leaves Velkoff who seemed fairly coherent like Smith on the matter.

Storck will spend every dime he can on special programs.

Date: February 13, 2012 09:09AM

Why in the world would they ask for so much money when they know they won't get it?

Don't you think the place to start is with setting strong priorities of what is necessary for every FCPS student and then adding what makes sense?

Here's a secret: more money does not ensure better programs. Do your really think Jack Dale has been value added to FCPS? Have you looked at the federal money spent on Title I? For forty years, money has been going into this program and we are right where we started. Why? Money doesn't get to the classroom--it goes to the bureaucrats.

Of course, more money CAN help a program and a school system--but only if you are getting what you pay for. Our School Board responsibility should be to ensure that we are getting what we pay for.

As far as Schultz, please tell me what value was added by closing Clifton. Disrupting elementary schools across Burke, Fairfax Station, Clifton, Centreville, and Chantilly? And, quite frankly, where is the savings? Can you blame Schultz for wanting to keep her school open? Bradsher can talk all she wants about savings--it's not there. And we are adding 4,000 students next year!

WHO tells Reed what to do? It seems to me that she asks great questions that make fiscal sense. So she asked a question about SB salaries and benefits--I might add the question was not fully answered. (As an aside, go through the budget questions and see how many are glossed over and not fully answere. I found several. An example would be McElveen's question about adding staff--the response gave the full cost of giving each member an assistant without deducting the cost of the assistants that are already there. This may be why the members think they need a full time assistant to research questions they have.)

Also, please check out the budget page which deals with the projection of around 4,000 new students next year at the cost of 45 million dollars. Look at how many new teachers will be added, custodians, office workers, etc. And we are closing schools?

Then look at Falls Church High--better yet, go there and look. Then drive across 495--just a brief jump away and look at Gatehouse. Something is desperately wrong with this picture. When a school system spends more on their "staff" than on their students, something is terribly wrong.

Where are the priorities? Get the priorities straight before you spend the money. That is what Reed meant when she said you start from the bottom and build up. (Look at her resume-she has real life experience and training in this.)

This school system is a mess, and I, for one, am grateful that some new members are trying to change it. Smith, Strauss, Gibson, and others have driven it to where it is. I think Hynes is well meaning-but clueless as far as the parameters of the monetary resources available. I don't know about McLaughlin-I think she was right about Honors, but I'm not sure she gets the big picture--frankly I think her opponent did have better experience, but I don't know her and whether she would have made the right choices.

I would be happy to pay more taxes if it ensured a better school system. It won't and I resent asking to pay more for this circus. Fix what you have, and then ask for more.

Posted by: Gatehouse ()
Date: February 13, 2012 09:42AM

Gatehouse should switch with Falls Church HS.

Posted by: virulent ()
Date: February 13, 2012 11:51AM

an observer too Wrote:
> As for crying never saw Smith or or for that
> matter Bradsher cry, did recall Hone walk out and
> --classic drama, Reed cried about Hone or
> something. Must have had a close relationship.
>
> Schutlz and McLaughlin are all about themselves
> they are nothing but one issue candidates who
> think it is about them and not the kids. Before
> McLauglin leaves this Board we will have a system
> that resembles her home state of California. God
> knows she talks about it at every meeting. And
> then; we go bankrupt. She appears to be well on
> her way to getting there. "Dumbed down the
> system" as posted above and now the budget.

Hi Liz! Enjoying your permanent vacation from public service?

Posted by: Gatehouse 2 ()
Date: February 13, 2012 01:12PM

Troll

Posted by: To Board Observer ()
Date: February 14, 2012 09:16PM

board observer Wrote:
> Also, just because Reed asked a question, doesn't
> mean she is in favor of that. She may have asked
> it to prove a point for another member.

I don't understand. What point are you saying she is trying to make? And to whom? You must know something.

Posted by: To Board Observer ()
Date: February 14, 2012 09:24PM

Sorry, I meant "for whom" (not to whom). Are you saying Reed is making a point for another board member who is unwilling to make the same point using his/her name. If son, who and why?

Posted by: awakening ()
Date: February 14, 2012 09:25PM

Board members will often ask staff for data to prove a point on why something shouldn't be done, at least in their opinion. Just because a Board member asks for information about a particular topic, doesn't necessarily mean they support it. Happens all the time.

Date: February 14, 2012 11:41PM

Reed wants more pay, she has said this several times at several public meetings.
I don't buy it that she was using it as a set up question.

Posted by: hypothesis ()
Date: February 15, 2012 06:39AM

Maybe she thinks it would be cheaper to pay board members more than to hire full time help for each one of them?????

As much as I think several of these people are clueless, $20,000 is not very much for all the time they put in--meetings, work sessions, "retreats".........that does not include reading email and studying issues. I do think, if done properly, that it is a full time job.

On the other hand, there are a lot of citizen advocates who get paid nothing for studying the issues, research, etc.

Date: February 15, 2012 09:42AM

One would think that those who run for office understand the time it will take and the issues that relate to the public as well as an understanding of the system. McLaughlin does not understand she needs to work with people, she rather would yell and accuse, Schultz is habitually late, rude and arrogant.

Some of these new members think it is about them and they know it all. They appear unprofessional and lack adequate knowledge. Patty Reed has been a member for several years and her questions demonstrate what little knowledge she still has. Somewhat shocking.
The system will suffer, the county will loose out and housing values will decrease.

Posted by: Fishface Fred McCoy ()
Date: February 15, 2012 03:08PM

an observer too Wrote:
Patty Reed has been
> a member for several years and her questions
> demonstrate what little knowledge she still has.
> Somewhat shocking.
> The system will suffer, the county will loose out
> and housing values will decrease.

Maybe. But at least we can understand her. That fucking Moon can't speak English to save his life. No one understands a word out of his Korean pie hole. Ever notice how, when he talks, the other board members are either straining like they're dumping a massive load to understand what he's saying or, more often just tuning him out and watching porn on their tablets.

Posted by: Train Wreck ()
Date: April 20, 2012 09:43PM

This Janie Strauss is such a lying pile of squat. 19 years of lying. Just amazing. The idiots of Fairfax County get what they deserve - depravity.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.