HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Looking for Sewers, Tunnels, Tubes, and Archways
Posted by: R Digi ()
Date: December 15, 2011 02:50PM

I am an amateur photographer from the Northern Virginia area. I have started photographically documenting large sewer tunnels, drain tunnels and tubes, and also rectangular or square drainage tunnels. I am also trying to find archways, walking tunnels, or paths that go under a bridge (obviously the last is very common, I am looking for more unique locations, but all ideas are welcome!) Please be as specific as possible with these locations (gps coordinates would be best but I don't expect them from everyone). Pictures of where they are, or detailed description would be nice also. Thanks for taking the time to read this, hope you can help! cheers and take care!

-R

p.s.-if you link me a location, email me as well, I will share my photography with you when I shoot your spot!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for Sewers, Tunnels, Tubes, and Archways
Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: December 15, 2011 03:23PM

Posted by: Bunny Man Bridge ! ()
Date: December 15, 2011 03:24PM

Colchester Rd, Also, New one linking Tysons I & II. Not open yet, but wait a little bit. Bull Run Bridge Lee Hwy at Fairfax P.Wm co line.

Posted by: Photographer ()
Date: December 15, 2011 03:28PM

Yeah Johnny, that wouldv'e been great! Thanks bunny man, that's Colchester in Woodbridge?

Posted by: MisterSpookey ()
Date: December 15, 2011 04:01PM

Photographer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah Johnny, that wouldv'e been great! Thanks
> bunny man, that's Colchester in Woodbridge?

ayup. the wood bridge in Woodbridge. Where you think the name came from? Look it up.

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: December 15, 2011 04:23PM

Right here (underfoot, as a matter of fact):

View Larger Map

Posted by: Here ya go ()
Date: December 15, 2011 05:40PM

Posted by: Here ya Go ()
Date: December 15, 2011 05:43PM

View Larger Map

Park at Scotts Run, then hoof it to the river and swing a right on the trail. Puts you right under the American Legion Bridge

Date: December 15, 2011 10:53PM

Thanks for the locations, I'll be sure to check em out!! The one in Old Town looks very prosperous.

Posted by: 1995hoo ()
Date: December 16, 2011 09:06AM

If you don't mind actually going down into a sewer to take some pictures, there are some very large sewer tunnels in the Strathmeade Square neighborhood near Fairfax Hospital. Go up Beverly Drive until you see DeCourcey Court on the right; just after that is a kids' playground. Either of the sewer manhole covers next to that playground (one next to the street, one up at the other end near the hill) leads to some very large sewer tunnels.

We lived in that neighborhood in the late 1970s when I was a kid and we all used to go exploring in the sewers....seriously, some of the things we did as kids really make me shake my head sometimes.

Posted by: Clarks Gap ()
Date: December 16, 2011 09:43AM

Stone arch at Clarks' Gap just west of Leesburg on the WO&D trail is very nice and easy to get to. It has been renovated since this photo was taken

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stone-Bridge-Clarkes-Gap.jpg

Located at the camera mark on this map between mile marker 38 and 38.5

http://www.wodfriends.org/map3.html

Posted by: TunnelRat ()
Date: December 16, 2011 09:55AM

There are a ton of tunnels in Reston for the pathway system. The most famous is the tunnel by South Lakes High school where people use to skip school and smoke pot.

There is also the WO&D tunnel under the Reston Parkway by the Reston Town Center.

Of course the most famous tunnel in Fairfax county is the Bunny Man bridge tunnel under the railroad tracks near clifton.

There's also a cool tunnel in Lake Anne by the Lake Plaza. Walk all the way to the end of the plaza by the middle of the Lake and make a right on to the pathway. Follow that path around under North Shore drive. You'll pass the Lake Bridge.
Attachments:
lakeannebr.jpg

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: December 16, 2011 10:16AM

Wilkes Street tunnel in Alexandria is fairly interesting, but it isn't that unique. A better alternative might be to shoot the old RR bridge that paralels Duke Street near the WHole Foods in western Old Towne Alexandria. The architecture is similar but it is a less photographed item. It can be shot from the Duke Street side or from a park on the opposite side.

If you can get access to it the Washington Aqueduct would also offer some unique shots. There are some great opportunities on Rock Creek Park. In addition to the bridges and tunnels I think there is still an old lime kiln that might have some interesting arches to photo. Slightly further out is the Monocacy Aqueduct of the C&O canal.

Posted by: caller id ()
Date: December 16, 2011 10:49AM

So who is Robert Moss Photography (703-317-7033) and why did it just call my cell phone?

Posted by: Correction ()
Date: December 16, 2011 12:55PM

Photographer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah Johnny, that wouldv'e been great! Thanks
> bunny man, that's Colchester in Woodbridge?

The Bunnyman bridge in on Colchester Road in Western Fairfax near Clifton.

Date: December 17, 2011 02:11AM

Wow, much thanks, especially to 1995hoo, that sounds AWESOME!!! can't wait to check it out!

Posted by: Fairfax Station/Clifton area ()
Date: December 17, 2011 03:10PM

there is a very cool, tiny old tunnel that goes under the train tracks. actually, it is on the way to bunny man's bridge, another location you may be interested in (both go under the tracks). the smaller tunnel is large enough for a person to walk through, but just barely. it is pretty long, its cool to see the light from the other side (may be interesting for a picture). anyways, its on Fairfax Station road, which runs parallel to the tracks. if you turn onto Fairfax Station rd from Ox rd, you will see it. (Fairfax Station dead ends into Ox rd so theres only one way you can turn, directions are easy--you will see the old historic Clara Barton Church on the corner-another interesting place) Its where the tracks are about 20 ft higher than the road. And then when you are done there, continue down Fairfax Station until it dead ends into Colchester Rd. Turn left onto Colchester and in no time you will be driving under bunny mans bridge :)

Posted by: Lazy Mobster ()
Date: December 18, 2011 08:40PM

There are some good drainage structures in the difficult run watershed. Mainly in Reston as part of the network of dams and detention basins. Check out the fairfax county gis stormwater maps for locations of structures types.

Posted by: Observer of Things ()
Date: December 18, 2011 09:31PM

There's an old bridge witch a pretty big archway just north of the intersection of Backlick Rd and Beulah St, right at the border to Ft. Belvoir.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=backlick+road+and+Beulah+St,+Fort+Belvoir,+VA+22060&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.001301,38.144531&vpsrc=0&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Beulah+St+%26+Backlick+Rd,+Fort+Belvoir,+Fairfax,+Virginia+22060&t=h&z=16

May not be the best place to take a picture. May want to call Ft Belvoir public affairs first.

Posted by: Photo guy ()
Date: January 07, 2012 01:25PM

Awesome spots, thanks! Keep em coming!

Posted by: W&OD Trail ()
Date: January 07, 2012 01:34PM

Several cool bridges are on the W&OD trail; a nice one to see is the one over Sugarland Run (in Herndon, Virginia, near the Stuart Professional Center).

Posted by: hey rube ()
Date: January 07, 2012 11:49PM

Very beautiful pre-civil war stone culvert is located on (actually under) Accotink Park Rd.

Picture here:
www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/accotink/LAP-WitnesstoHistory.pdf

Located here:
http://tinyurl.com/7sc4war

Posted by: Fred ()
Date: January 08, 2012 08:23AM

Photos or explosives? Does this thread creep out anybody else? Or am I just just paranoid?

Posted by: Normal ()
Date: January 08, 2012 12:51PM

Pretty sure you're just paranoid, photographers look for cool/unique places to shoot. But it's okay, I expect this kind of ignorance on here, thanks to all the people who have replied, there are some GREAT locations on here, if you got more, keep em coming!

Posted by: 50287100 ()
Date: January 08, 2012 01:11PM

I'm aware that this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but there are a lot of cool run-down/abandoned places around the county into which any photographers have yet to go and take some good pictures. If you're interested at all a lot of great locations can be found here:

http://ruralfairfax.com/

Posted by: Photographer Guy ()
Date: January 08, 2012 01:53PM

Awesome link, thanks man! Definitely what I'm lookin for, unique locations, always, much much thanks!!

Posted by: scott ()
Date: January 08, 2012 02:06PM

How about the tunnel from Pentagon City Mall area to the Pentagon parking lot under 395? Very interesting at 2am when the lights are out.

Posted by: doggie_mom ()
Date: January 09, 2012 07:50AM

There are a pair of drainage tunnels that you can view from Lake Barton in Burke. The tunnels go under Burke Center Parkway and feed into Lake Barton. One of them is kind of obstructed due to a large abandoned beaver dam. They are between Oak Leather Drive and Waters Edge Landing/Burnside Landing.

Posted by: Photo guy ()
Date: January 13, 2012 03:44PM

Great locations so far, much thanks to the rural fairfax link!!! Keep em coming!

R Digi: Photography is a Talent, Natural Born Gift
Posted by: Professional Photographer-Student ()
Date: January 13, 2012 10:13PM

Stay original. Make sure all your work is copy-written. Make sure nO ONE steals your work. Sh** happens. Make sure you have all your copies of all photographs for yourself, before selling them.

Photo Taker

Protect Your Work

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.