HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Jiffy Lube in Chantilly...
Posted by: Your Boy ()
Date: December 12, 2011 02:55PM

...blows my nuts.

For the more mature crowd: This establishment is run very poorly and its staff have little to no customer service skills. If you still choose to use their services as opposed to one of the other two that are within 4 miles, be prepared for an overall poor experience.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jiffy Lube in Chantilly...
Posted by: Thank yee ()
Date: December 12, 2011 02:58PM

Thank you for the heads-up. I usually use the one in at 123, but was thinking of going to Chantilly because it seemed closer.

Posted by: InterestingManInTheWorld ()
Date: December 12, 2011 04:06PM

I don't Jiffy Lube often...but when I do, I Jiffy Lube on Duke Street near the intersection of Telegraph.

Posted by: wait, what?! ()
Date: December 12, 2011 09:54PM

I agree, the place has gone downhill (if that's possible).

I went on the weekend, some scruffy guy comes out, says it will be an incredibly long wait 'cuz they have us doing stupid stuff in the bays, like windshield repairs, Oh, and transmission services, three bays are locked down'. He should have just came out and said, please go home, we don't want your business. So that is what I did.

I'll stop at the one on 123 later this week.

Posted by: Alpha Male ()
Date: December 12, 2011 10:35PM

Better yet, learn to change your car's oil yourself rather than hope the lowest common denominators of society don't fuck your ride up. It's easy to do, takes about 30 minutes, and will save you some money.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: December 13, 2011 06:38PM

Jiffy Pube. Because they have you by the short hairs.

Posted by: change your own ()
Date: December 13, 2011 07:02PM

I change my own and bought cheap but good ramps, rhino ramps i think, don't go under the car on a jack, that would be painful.

Plus side is saving a shit load of cash and making sure your car has the correct oil and filter, which i seriously doubt the cheap places put it.

One teen at jiffy lube (the last time i had someone else do it) said half way, im just going to check they are putting the correct oil in it...

Posted by: el fredo ()
Date: December 13, 2011 07:09PM

Just check the weekly coupons you get in the mail. There is always some tire dealer that will change the oil for twenty bucks. Of course they will try to sell you a bunch of crap you dont need so just say the oil change and nothing else.

Posted by: woah dude... ()
Date: June 16, 2016 03:46AM

Walmart will change your oil for like 23 bucks. They use walmart brand oil which is really good oil made by havoline and they use a walmart brand (super-tech) oil filter which is made by purolator. They almost never fuck it up!

Posted by: Huh??? ()
Date: June 16, 2016 07:44AM

Hey OP, I'm sorry you couldn't be bothered to learn how to properly work on cars which resulted in Jiffy Lube firing you...

Posted by: YOU'RE NOT A MAN ()
Date: June 16, 2016 11:00AM

If you can't do the basic shit to a car, like change the oil yourself, check the air pressure in your tires or inflate them, change a tire, replace light bulbs, check and add fluids, or just read the owners manual.

If you can grow a beard, then grow a set and learn the basics! The pussies we crank out these days makes me think that we should be marketing dick-shaped pacifiers!

Posted by: Srsly? ()
Date: June 16, 2016 09:55PM

YOU'RE NOT A MAN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you can't do the basic shit to a car, like
> change the oil yourself, check the air pressure in
> your tires or inflate them, change a tire, replace
> light bulbs, check and add fluids, or just read
> the owners manual.
>
> If you can grow a beard, then grow a set and learn
> the basics! The pussies we crank out these days
> makes me think that we should be marketing
> dick-shaped pacifiers!

"Can't" and "Don't want to take the time" are different things. My time is more valuable than that. I can keep working while some git changes my oil and make more money than I spend. Why would I bother?

Posted by: Dnkpc ()
Date: June 16, 2016 10:17PM

i went to one only 1x that's all it took

overpriced (higher than dealer than KNOWS my car)

nigga tried to sell me air filter i'd just changed 3 days ago - and put a light in it (showed through bright white) and he insisted it was dirty and that i had to change it because it was part of the service i bought. (i didnt' let him, no, i quickly stomped on that fire)

he filled the oil right to the line (should be at LEAST a 1/4 quart below the line, to allow for expansion on highway which is hotter than idle, to keep oil pressure DOWN so it does not breach seals - simply put high pressures are only for racing)

the line is the maximum and your book says so. keep it under enough it NEVER goes up to or over.

Posted by: You're a loser ()
Date: June 16, 2016 11:25PM

Srsly? Wrote:
> YOU'RE NOT A MAN Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If you can't do the basic shit to a car, like
> > change the oil yourself, check the air pressure
> in
> > your tires or inflate them, change a tire,
> replace
> > light bulbs, check and add fluids, or just read
> > the owners manual.
> >
> > If you can grow a beard, then grow a set and
> learn
> > the basics! The pussies we crank out these days
> > makes me think that we should be marketing
> > dick-shaped pacifiers!
>
> "Can't" and "Don't want to take the time" are
> different things. My time is more valuable than
> that. I can keep working while some git changes my
> oil and make more money than I spend. Why would I
> bother?

You're full of shit, what the fuck are you working on that is making you a ton of money while you wait in line at jiffy lube? Your time must be so valuable to you because you're a peon who simply trades your time for a wage.

Posted by: FreeShippingBack ()
Date: June 17, 2016 10:16AM

There is nothing wrong with the Jiffy Lube in Chantilly. Yes they try and sell you a bunch of air filters, wiper blades, bulbs etc. and and offer to flush your transmission fluid etc. etc., but just tell them up front you just want an oil change and learn to say "No thank you" when they still offer you those extra parts and services.

For single women Jiffy Lube is probably the best option, where as any adult male likely has the mechanical aptitude and sufficient tools to change his own oil in just about any type motor vehicle. The issue comes with the proper disposal of the waste oil. Anyone with conscience at all (i.e. non-immigrant) will not simply toss the oil in the trash or worse allow it to run down into a storm drain. The county Disposal Center off West Ox Road and I-66 will take it 8:00 to 4:00 daily if you have time to drive over there.

I have a workshop in another county that I heat with waste oil so I have a few 55 gallon drums to store the used oil in, so disposal is never an issue for me. Still if I don't have time to mess with it that weekend, I just get up early and let the Jiffy Lube guys do it for me. They are not jet aircraft mechanics but they do a good job and I've never had any issues in the last 20 odd years.

That being said, changing your own oil is a real good excuse to get under your vehicle and look around at what's going on under the hood and under the chassis. Check serpentine belt, battery connections, brake lines/cylinders and fuel lines, radiator for leaks and worn out suspension bushings etc. But if you cannot dispose of the oil properly, best to let someone else do it.

Just as a side note, there is no reason to change your oil every 3,000 miles unless you are racing in the Baha 1000 or driving some kind of exotic vehicle. You're just pissing money away for no reason. Every 5000 miles is often enough.

Posted by: Just read the owner's manual ()
Date: June 17, 2016 10:22AM

Depending on the make & model, even ever 5,000 miles is too often! Some are up to 7,500 and 10,000

Posted by: time vs money - shade tree mech ()
Date: June 17, 2016 02:05PM

YOU'RE NOT A MAN Wrote:
> If you can't do the basic shit to a car, like
> change the oil yourself, check the air pressure in
> your tires or inflate them, change a tire, replace
> light bulbs, check and add fluids, or just read
> the owners manual.
>
> If you can grow a beard, then grow a set and learn
> the basics! The pussies we crank out these days
> makes me think that we should be marketing
> dick-shaped pacifiers!

I changed the clutch, rotors/pads, water pump, and starter on my car in my driveway but I go to the dealer or oil lube places to get the oil changed. I can usually get it done for $10 - $25 with coupons.

Spend $20 or go through the hassle of buying the oil and a filter, changing it and but finding a place to dispose the old oil. Just not worth it.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: June 17, 2016 09:43PM

Returning this to something meaningful: I have heard anecdotally that Jiffy Lube and places like that aren't a good idea because they suck the oil out from the top, rather than draining it properly. I have no idea whether this is true (and there is a pit, at least at the Chantilly Jiffy Lube), but *if* true, it would seem to be Bad.

Then there's the self-selection aspect: if their techs were any good, would they work at Jiffy Lube? Sad but (maybe) true. A Merchant's (NTB) manager once told me that they hire a lot of convicts on parole, which doesn't bother me -- they have a good incentive to do a good job and stay out of prison. Again, no idea if that's true/still true.

Posted by: Homeowners ()
Date: June 17, 2016 10:03PM

time vs money - shade tree mech Wrote:
> YOU'RE NOT A MAN Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If you can't do the basic shit to a car, like
> > change the oil yourself, check the air pressure
> in
> > your tires or inflate them, change a tire,
> replace
> > light bulbs, check and add fluids, or just read
> > the owners manual.
> >
> > If you can grow a beard, then grow a set and
> learn
> > the basics! The pussies we crank out these days
> > makes me think that we should be marketing
> > dick-shaped pacifiers!
>
>
> I changed the clutch, rotors/pads, water pump, and
> starter on my car in my driveway but I go to the
> dealer or oil lube places to get the oil changed.
> I can usually get it done for $10 - $25 with
> coupons.
>
> Spend $20 or go through the hassle of buying the
> oil and a filter, changing it and but finding a
> place to dispose the old oil. Just not worth it.

Most HOAs prohibit rebuilding of a car or truck in the drive way.

Posted by: Melinda ()
Date: June 18, 2016 05:40AM

My husband took our Honda Pilot to a Jiffy Lube in Charlottesville, VA for a simple oil change. He left and made it about 6 miles before the engine seized and oil sprayed all over the passenger side of the car. Apparently the oil filter wasn't installed properly. Honda says it will cost about $8K to rebuild the engine. Jiffy Lube got us a rental car, but has now stopped communicating, stating that they had to get their insurance company involved. Meanwhile, our car is sitting at the dealership waiting for someone to give Honda the okay to start the repairs. Fortunately I'm an attorney and fully intend on suing if Jiffy Lube doesn't step up and take care of this. My advice - STAY AWAY FROM JIFFY LUBE!!

Posted by: Fairfaxres2 ()
Date: June 18, 2016 03:12PM

Maybe you can get Racehorse Haynes to assist you with your lawsuit? Go for the jugular.

Posted by: raut toms ()
Date: June 18, 2016 03:59PM

Dnkpc Wrote:
> i went to one only 1x that's all it took
>
> overpriced (higher than dealer than KNOWS my car)
>
> nigga tried to sell me air filter i'd just changed
> 3 days ago - and put a light in it (showed through
> bright white) and he insisted it was dirty and
> that i had to change it because it was part of the
> service i bought. (i didnt' let him, no, i
> quickly stomped on that fire)
>
> he filled the oil right to the line (should be at
> LEAST a 1/4 quart below the line, to allow for
> expansion on highway which is hotter than idle, to
> keep oil pressure DOWN so it does not breach seals
> - simply put high pressures are only for racing)
>
> the line is the maximum and your book says so.
> keep it under enough it NEVER goes up to or over.

Posted by: lubie ()
Date: June 19, 2016 07:35PM

I was a Lubie there for 2 weeks I got let go because I refused to lie.

Posted by: ykpkT ()
Date: June 19, 2016 08:12PM

Melinda Wrote:
> Fortunately I'm an attorney

If you were an attorney you would know this is SOP for most businesses. Most insurance policies give the insurance company the right to defend against the claim. If the business tries to settle on its own, it loses out on its insurance coverage.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.