HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Re-routing the Blue Line
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: February 12, 2008 08:40AM

Interesting new proposal from those fine folks over at WMATA...

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=30&sid=1343637

This plan would re-route some of the Blue line trains directly across the Yellow line bridge into downtown. While it's nice to see they are thinking of some cheap solutions using existing resources, a clear victory for Orange line riders in NoVA, I'm not too sure this will sit well with alot of the Blue line folks. A new idea to ease congestion at Rosslyn seems like perfect timing with this stalled-out Dulles fiasco... could this be a sign? But it sure sounds to me that it's really just shifting the burden over to the yellow/green line tracks downtown. L'Enfant is already a crowded mess during rush hour, do they really think they can cram more trains thru that hub and call it an "improvement"?

Anyway- I'm all for it. If they ever build the Dulles line, there's no way Rosslyn station could handle it. They may as well just rob Peter to pay Paul in this case.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Re-routing the Blue Line
Posted by: Vt9H4 ()
Date: February 12, 2008 09:45AM

They need to put back the light rail they had in the 40s here.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: February 12, 2008 02:58PM

What they need is another Potomac river crossing. Perhaps the metro to dulles could follow the route of the ill-fated I-266 and 3 sisters bridge.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: February 12, 2008 06:35PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> Perhaps the metro to dulles could follow the route of the ill-fated I-266 and 3 sisters bridge.

Agreed, but if they couldn't sell the Three Sisters Bridge idea 40 years ago, they definitely couldn't sell it today. Properties along the route are worth exponentially more and we've become much too litigious... it caused a real ruckus back then, imagine trying to build something there now. There's actually even talk that they might tear down the Whitehurst Freeway, the lone remnant of I-266 project. Georgetown doesn't want big roads or trains, and old money talks.

Another tunnel or bridge near Rosslyn would make a heck of alot of sense though.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: February 12, 2008 09:40PM

Yea i know it wont ever happen. That is, until some event occurs that allows people like me to say "I told you so!"

Bridges cost assloads of money and tunnels cost shit-tons of money. There wont be a new one built until Obama says "Build it or ill cut off your funding" Since that is unlikely to occur, the next best thing is to expand a bridge which already exists. Any of the bridges between the TR bridge and the 14th st bridge would be good.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.