HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3
Northern Region Football 2012
Posted by: football ()
Date: November 28, 2011 06:39PM

Still very early but someof us football fans cant wait. Any thoughts on next year?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Northern Region Football 2012
Posted by: WPFan ()
Date: November 28, 2011 09:46PM

West Po will win the region without a doubt, returning a QB who was robbed of the 1st team all region honor and a group of backs and receivers who can outrun anyone, speed kills. returning 2 solid young linebackers who got lots of time and a DE who very quietly was near the top of the most sacks list. Also returning 3/5 O-linemen.

Posted by: ???? ()
Date: November 28, 2011 09:51PM

How did they almost lose to woodson towards the end of the year?

Date: November 28, 2011 09:58PM

they came out flat, as they sometimes do, however they CRUSHED chantilly in the playoffs and were a few plays away from beating westfield, and beat soco who are the D5 champs

Posted by: OaktonFan ()
Date: November 28, 2011 10:10PM

I understand what your saying about coming out flat but woodson was bad. We beat south county as well and lost to all the same teams. I would love to see how we would match up against you guys. Your QB sounds like the real deal but i feel like it would be a high scoring game with a much more balanced attack from Oakton. I would only fear WP's speed against our linebackers and interior size.

Date: November 28, 2011 10:12PM

honestly oakton matches up well with just about everyone good size, speed, really solid program out there it would be a great game maybe theyll meet in the playoffs next year who knows

Posted by: 4 shiznits ()
Date: November 30, 2011 12:49PM

Oakton beat SOCO 21-7. The reality is SOCO's safety got out of position twice and yes Oakton took advantage. After that SOCO went to work defensively and knocked the big back from Oakton out of the game, and hurt several other oakton players. Oakton won straight up, no excuses.

SOCO however improved dramatically after halftime of the West Pot game 3. The SOCO team at the end of the year could handle Oakton, Just My Opinion.

Posted by: football fan ()
Date: November 30, 2011 03:58PM

Lake Braddock will be a sleeper. They are very young and hungry. People think they are burke kids. who are given everything. I wouldnt want to play this team in playoffs next year.

Date: November 30, 2011 06:43PM

Broddock is on their way out for the next few years the patriot is going to belong to WP and SOCO sleeper will be Lee i think Braddock will be competitive and pad their wins with gimmie wins over the bottom feeders in the district but will lose their dominance over WP they have enjoyed the past few years

Date: November 30, 2011 06:46PM

but you never know in HS football WP and SOCO werent predicted to share the district title

Posted by: sptn10000 ()
Date: November 30, 2011 06:51PM

Lake Braddock may struggle this coming year, it looks like they will have a very young team, mostly sophomores and juniors. There Freshmen and JV teams were pretty good, they will need to pull alot from there.

Only a few seniors in this group with playing experience.

Peart DL one of the better lineman in the district
Renzi DB small but tuff player
Hoskins LB always seems to be hurt, not sure where he fits in
Wolfe WR 2 year starter
Shanahan RB good speed
Koch QB good arm

Posted by: tough question ()
Date: November 30, 2011 06:54PM

who wins the concorde next year? WHS and Centreville are always good, but they lose pretty much ALL of their starters to graduation. Oakton brings back some key players, and so does Chantilly.

Date: November 30, 2011 06:58PM

I dont know much about the concorde but its a strong conference, i think it will be very competitive like the patriot was this past year but oakton or chantilly will win it c-ville and westfield are losing too many key pieces

Posted by: WEPOSUCKS ()
Date: November 30, 2011 07:03PM

Mannn wes po gonna loose every game next year, WPFan dumb LB ALL DAYYYY

Posted by: We po fan 2 ()
Date: November 30, 2011 07:04PM

...... uninformed

Posted by: wildcats ()
Date: November 30, 2011 08:10PM

Dont sleep on Centreville they have good players to fill in the key roles that they will be losing. they have already found some great runningback talent in some underclassmen and the fastest kid on there varsity was a sophmore

Date: November 30, 2011 08:35PM

yeah i just dont think theyll win the concorde next year but theyll be in the mix, they always are

Posted by: varsity player ()
Date: November 30, 2011 08:37PM

as a varsity player in the concord I believe I did hear Cvill had a talented JV team, a lot of the players being young. but just because they dominate that level does not mean they will dominate the next year on varsity. the best players play varsity, the rest play JV. they will field a good team but not to the likes of other teams who return multiple all district players

Posted by: scouterrr ()
Date: November 30, 2011 08:57PM

i was at the lake braddock vs lee jv game. the lb jv team is overflowing with tatlent. there are a few kids that dont even start that would start for anyother team patroit. i look for big things from this team.

Posted by: lee jv sucked ()
Date: November 30, 2011 09:14PM

Lee's JV team was an embarrasment to football. Maybe Braddock may be good but this year will not be their year

Date: November 30, 2011 09:17PM

I do film for west potomac im in charge of filming the games, so i got to see every freshman, jv, and varsity team in the patriot WP, TC, SOCO and Braddock had the best jv teams and WPs jv defense was pretty good so maybe theyll have a strong defense to go along with that powerhouse offense

Posted by: as a concord fan ()
Date: November 30, 2011 09:33PM

WPFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do film for west potomac im in charge of filming
> the games, so i got to see every freshman, jv, and
> varsity team in the patriot WP, TC, SOCO and
> Braddock had the best jv teams and WPs jv defense
> was pretty good so maybe theyll have a strong
> defense to go along with that powerhouse offense

You do seem very informed so as a fan of the concord what can we expect out of the patriot next year

Date: November 30, 2011 09:44PM

WP and SOCO will be top 2nd tier will be LB TC and LEE and then the bottom will be annandale woodson west springfield will play very inconsistant the district has LOTS of speed TC and Braddock will surprise people, TC has a really good running back who will be a junior next year and braddock has a great program theyll be pretty good no matter what, expect more of the same from WP and SOCO. the gap is beginning to close between the patriot and concorde.

Posted by: ?jf ()
Date: November 30, 2011 10:12PM

Im sure this is based off JV and returning starters. But how did soco braddock and WP JV do against concord JV?

Posted by: Jeff ()
Date: November 30, 2011 10:14PM

Centreville

Date: November 30, 2011 10:25PM

I can only speak for WP on that and they didnt play centrevilles jv and got crushed be westfields jv LB and SOCO beat WP by small margins but WP had most people eligable for jv starting on varsity 3 sophomores on offense, 2 on defense, and everything else was pretty much juniors

Posted by: 41zone ()
Date: November 30, 2011 10:31PM

the only concord team west po jv played from the concord i believe was westfield jv. and west po got smoked...i would not base west potomac's next year on last year's jv, as the varsity squad was stocked with young talent, meaning the jv was the leftovers. west po is not blessed with the massive teams such as westfield. i believe they dressed close to 100 players? west potomac dressed about 40. how old was last years LB running back? because the JV running back (soph) more their jv was one of the best football players ive ever seen. watch out for that kid. im a west po fan, but idont understand why people are sleeping on lb. they are a solid football team! i believe the patriot was a 3 way tie? so why is everyone dissing lb. respect those guys, they are good.

Posted by: Cvilleballer ()
Date: November 30, 2011 10:39PM

Centreville JV destroyed Lake Braddock JV and every other team they played except Westfield. Westfield played 75% Juniors on their JV while Centreville played 90% sophomores. Freshman undefeated for second year in a row. Centreville will be a force for years to come.

Posted by: 41zone ()
Date: November 30, 2011 10:43PM

my view of the patriot:

tc williams: will continue in their old ways of being just not good enough to cut it
annandale: this is only the beginning of a very long drought
woodson: i dont see these guys being good any time soon
west srpingfield: has the potential to be a very good football team. dont sleep on these guys.
lee: extremely hyped at the beginning of last season, until they actually met some adequate competition. proved to be a poor football team
braddock: has the potential to be a power house, good football team
west potomac: very good team that proved it could ball with the likes of westfield. keeping many players but also losing many players that were key to the teams entire philosphy. watch for a change in pace.
south county: okay football team. i dont care if they are 10-3, they are 10-3 in d5. they were not good against d6 teams and therefore give me no reason to view them as a respectable force.

Posted by: LB Fan ()
Date: November 30, 2011 11:03PM

I wouldn't call a 40 minute scrimmage stopped by losing daylight because it was played on the practice field and a 2 to 2 or 3 to 2 TD score "Destroying LB's JV!" Centreville had some dencent runs by the talented young back, but they did not have an answer for LB's passing game. Not to mention that LB was able to run the ball with a WR playing running back.

Very hard to tell how teams will do next year, a lot can happen in 8-9 months.

Posted by: lbjvparent ()
Date: November 30, 2011 11:19PM

For what it is worth, Centreville vs Lake Braddock JV was a scrimmage on Centreville's practice field. Because it started late and they had no lights, each team had 3 series of 10 plays, Lake Braddock scored 3 times Centreville scored 3 times.

Lake Braddock JV lost to Westfield JV in a close game, tied South County, score was 50-50, very high scoring game. The other JV games were blow outs by Lake Braddock.

Both Frosh and JV had very good seasons.

Date: December 01, 2011 12:20AM

that's "decent."

Patriot Overview:

Annandale - They are losing a lot and will continue to struggle;

Lee - I think you have seen the last of their talent pool for a while. Coach Martin has brought a new attitude to the Lancers but may not be enough;

Lake Braddock - have 24 rising Seniors, with 14 of them with some kind of playing experience and 7 of them returning starters. Offensively they lose QB and #1 and #3 WRs; There are a ton of kids that can play WR, no big play standouts though; the OL should be decent with some size and experience. Their are 4 kids that can play RB:

1) Hoskins - played LB the last 7 games hampered with either a hamstring strain or ankle sprain which kept him off the O side of the ball; during that time finished the season as the second leading tackler - so he'll fit right in, probably one of the main guys that will go both ways in '12;

2) O'Brien - the JV kid mentioned before, was a sophomore with a huge upside. Where he lacks in size, he makes up with heart, he has to work on remembering his plays though. Should see some carries in '12;

3) Shanahan - One of the fastest kids on the team, but not a very good RB, poor lateral movement, lacks vision and also forgets his plays. He is a very strong kid, and would be better suited to play defense;

4) Carrier - has great size and decent quickness and is also a sophomore. Has to learn to assert himself to be ready for Friday night, but he also saw some time at the LB spot;

5) Bonus: Renzi - just an athlete and gives them another option to get a few carries

Overall view - need to RUN the ball, I they choose to stay with the 5-Wide exclusively, they will struggle. Need to move to a more balanced attack

Defensively they have to replace a lot as Hoskins is the only remaining kid that saw time on the '09 team.

DL - has to find at least 1 DE, but they should be set with Peart and Burnett at DT;

The LB and DB Corps will be young as this is where they are hit the most but will have some decent athletes;

Overall - In the second year with the DC, the kids will have more time to get familiar with his system. All in all they are probably a 6-4 team.

South County - probably the first time that they had as many if not more athletes as TC and West Po, especially on D. They have a good group coming back off of this Regional+? team. They will be in the hunt for the District Title again;

TC - always a crap shoot. The big question is, what will they do about the HC spot? Will the Interim HC stay, will Randolph come back, or will they go a different direction. This is the one team year in, year out that can be lethal with the talent they have, but never seem to put it together. Basically, the jury is still out on them;

West Springfield - Dunn will be in the running for District POY with Henderson; problem is, he is all they have. QB is supsect, and defense is very similar to the ones when Renner was there. Probably identical record as '11;

West Pot - Have the most coming back with a potent 1-2 punch with Henderson and Pierson-El. Put that with a host of speedsters and they are tough to beat. Defense is the big ? This has always been their weakness, will be interesting to see what they do on this side of the ball. Probably the favorite going in;

Woodson - In Dishun's second year, they should be more competitive, they'll win a couple more than in '11. They will be young though.

Pre-Preason Rankings:

1)West Pot
2)SOCO
3)LB
4)TC/West Springfield
5) WS/TC
6) Woodson
7) Lee
8) Annandale

Posted by: Oakton jv ()
Date: December 01, 2011 06:47AM

Toughest game for Oakton's jv was WF. Although Oakton played with 75 percent sophs, 25 percent junior and one freshmen running back. WF, I believe, was mostly juniors that day.

Centreville game was a crap shoot with the Wildcats winning 40-34. Game featured several defensive Tds on both sides.

WF and CV were the best teams Oakton played at the JV level - just like the varsity games. Soco, Lee, Annandale, Woodson, and West spring (in a scrimmage) were not as impressive - by a long shot.

With the exception of some kids on the offensive line, none of the Oakton jv offensive starters are expected (now anyway) to start on varsity next year.

It will come down to coaching and preparation as always in the Concorde, and a little luck (avoiding injuries, etc.).

Posted by: LB89 ()
Date: December 01, 2011 11:20AM

I think Lake Braddock success will depend on the younger players and how fast they progress. The JV and freshmen team were pretty good, so they might be a year away.

They will need to be more balanced in the run and pass, but do they have a RB that can carry the load.

Shanahan very fast, strong rated one of the top players in the class of 2013 Im and not sure why he wasnt used much, but is most likely the starter

The JV RB (cant remember his name)is another possibilty. Good speed and runs low to the ground

Renzi very good athlete, from a family of athletes, should get some carries, but will see most of his time on defense

Hoskins is not durable enough to play RB. He is always injured and will have to play on defense.

Defense is where the coaches will need to focus, will have to play young players and 2 way players here.

Peart Renzi Doe and Hoskins are the returning starters

Peart and Renzi could be all district type players and must lead a group of inexperienced players.

Lake Braddock should be a playoff team again this year but the younger players will need to progress

Posted by: Jimbo ()
Date: December 01, 2011 03:53PM

Madison has 14 starters returning....they should be pretty good.

Posted by: Football ()
Date: December 01, 2011 04:12PM

West Pot is a joke they are expected to do "big things" every year and don't. I think soco is in first and Lb 2nd. Soco has a lot of talent but they will lack in D. LB is very young and will need a lot of help from younger players. But they are very well coached and play in a tough place to play. They are sleepers.

Posted by: Weeee ()
Date: December 01, 2011 04:17PM

WPFan Wrote:
> Broddock is on their way out for the next few
> years the patriot is going to belong to WP and
> SOCO sleeper will be Lee i think Braddock will be
> competitive and pad their wins with gimmie wins
> over the bottom feeders in the district but will
> lose their dominance over WP they have enjoyed the
> past few years

Lee is definitely not a sleeper, they lost the majority of their starters this year, something like 8/11 offensive players and 7/11 defensive.

Posted by: North ()
Date: December 01, 2011 04:27PM

For lb running back I think their best bet would be Hoskins. But he's always hurt for some reason. He's a big strong kid. If he was able to run the ball lb would surpass teams.

Date: December 01, 2011 04:29PM

Lees jv was decent had lots of speed im calling them a sleeper cause they arent bad enough to be grouped with WS Annandale and WT and not quite good enough to be with WP LB and SOCO. and west po is a joke with 7 returning offensive starters including 3 all district players and 2 2nd team all region defense might actually be good at stopping the run they are getting bigger and faster at linebacker and have some pretty good corners including one who got lots of time on varsity last year

Posted by: Sptn1000 ()
Date: December 01, 2011 05:37PM

For LB, Hoskins probably isnt athletic enough to play RB, besides he is always hurt.

Posted by: concordefball ()
Date: December 01, 2011 05:39PM

I think the concorde district title will be between chantilly and oakton considering how bout have many returning players. It should be a great mid season battle!

Posted by: the truth about chantilly ()
Date: December 01, 2011 05:50PM

Are you kidding me, Chantilly? The way they got destroyed and embarassed the second half of the year, that group got exposed in every way possible. So what if the whole team is returning? They had marginal talent in a few posistions, no offensive line (which is a problem when all they want to do is run latterals) or defensive line. Have not had a good pass defense ever under Lalli and have a 4 play playbook, where the crowd is calling the plays before they happen. Oh yea, there is not one good qb at Chantilly at any of the 3 levels. How Chantilly's qb got honorable mention in the Concorde is astonishing.

Then going down to the lower levels, which seems to be a trend on the past few posts, Chantilly jv and freshmen football were both weaker than usual. Chantilly will be down for the next few years. Oakton should be up near the top, but I expect Centreville and Westfield to be right there. Those boys will be ready.

Posted by: oakton ()
Date: December 01, 2011 06:14PM

Lee jv lost to oakton 40 to 0. I doubt there was a lot of talent there.

Posted by: Rb.. ()
Date: December 01, 2011 06:18PM

How good is West Springfields running back? Iv heard alot of good things about him? Is he the best in the region?

Date: December 01, 2011 07:15PM

im basing lees jv off of one game and they were pretty decent they matched up well agains WPs jv

Posted by: backs ()
Date: December 01, 2011 08:04PM

Dunn was a very good running back against the lesser teams. This holds true with most returning running backs. Mike Wandey might have to be the second best iv seen in D6. Although he will have to split carries with fellow back Brooks-Muse and Downer out of the backfield I expect good numbers if there is enough to go around. Then looks for either Ross Simms or Darrius Hicks to step up for big yards next year to help their teams. Alot of top running backs need to be replaced.

Posted by: concordefball ()
Date: December 01, 2011 08:22PM

I think if you put kendell Anderson, manny smith or mike wandey on west Springfield they could easily rush for tons of yards considering the teams west Springfield played so this dunn player has not proven much while the three other backs were game changers

Posted by: fannn ()
Date: December 01, 2011 08:25PM

Oaktons running back was a junior?

Posted by: losses ()
Date: December 01, 2011 08:26PM

I agree with that. I consider the Patriot to be more of a pass first league that is weak up front and the Concord teams to be the opposite. In the scrimage vs oakton he did nothing and the same is said about the games vs south county or robinson. South County played this year as Concord teams are traditionally known for, which is why I include them.

Posted by: losses ()
Date: December 01, 2011 08:27PM

I also do not remember the region seemingly losing so many key players in one year as it is this year? Agree? Disagree?

Date: December 02, 2011 11:12AM

Posted by: Sptn1000 ()
Date: December 01, 2011 05:37PM

For LB, Hoskins probably isnt athletic enough to play RB, besides he is always hurt.

Sptn1000... You're a moron is you think that kid is not athletic enough to play RB. He's not athletic enough to play RB, but can play OLB for the last two years??? GTFOH! If he is ALWAYS hurt, then how much time did he miss in '11? Since you are on the sidelines, you should know. His athleticism is what kept him on the field through injuries, along with heart. But I guess when your Father is coach much like the Quigleys, people don't look at the abilities of the player, just the fact that they get to play "because of their dads!"

Posted by: LB89 ()

Date: December 01, 2011 11:20AM

"They will need to be more balanced in the run and pass, but do they have a RB that can carry the load.

Shanahan very fast, strong rated one of the top players in the class of 2013 Im and not sure why he wasnt used much, but is most likely the starter"

You can take that rating stuff and wipe it with your @$$! Do well at a combine and you get a high rating. Anyone that has been around long enough knows that. But it means nothing when it doesn't translate on the field on Friday night. Shananhan is a Wing-T Fullback, strong and powerful and very straight ahead. Which is the very same thing that the coach at St. John's told him and has yet to come to reality. Would be perfect for Robinson's scheme under Bendorf. His problem is he won't run between the tackles and likes to get outside, and misses blocks in the passing scheme and that's why he wasn't used much. I hear that Florida is looking at him though!

There will be a battle for the QB spot between Koch (Sr) and Coulter (Jr) and neither fall into the mode of what the OC does with the 5-Wide

"Defense is where the coaches will need to focus, will have to play young players and 2 way players here.

Peart Renzi Doe and Hoskins are the returning starters"

I will agree with you here, as I said earlier, the LBs (except for 1) and DBs are all losing Seniors and based on the JV players in those positions, they have their work cut out for them. There may be a couple of Freshman kids that will leap frog some of those guys and have to get OJT. Doe, like Shananhan is ranked at DL in the class of 2013, again from the performance at multiple combines, but his body of work on Friday night in '11 was below average at best!

The coaches will have to get out the mode of not playing guys both ways in order to survive in '12.

Posted by: LB Alum ()
Date: December 02, 2011 11:46AM

Excellent post Coach Hoskins

Posted by: observerva ()
Date: December 02, 2011 12:50PM

Yes, Mike Wandey is a junior.

Posted by: footballfan ()
Date: December 02, 2011 05:50PM

One thing about Lake Braddock they will be ready to play. They have a great coaching staff. They chanced the whole O to better fit themsevles for a playoff run. And almost pulled off a shocked. They could be a 7-3 or 8-2 team.

Date: December 02, 2011 10:10PM

Not at all Coach Hoskins, just a fan that follows what is going on with the team I support. And actually have a realistic outlook. No kids in the program any more and have followed LB football since Dall was running the show.

I doubt very seriously that any Coaches would actually post.

Posted by: Shorttermmemory ()
Date: December 02, 2011 10:44PM

lbjvparent Wrote:
> For what it is worth, Centreville vs Lake Braddock
> JV was a scrimmage on Centreville's practice
> field. Because it started late and they had no
> lights, each team had 3 series of 10 plays, Lake
> Braddock scored 3 times Centreville scored 3
> times.
>
> Lake Braddock JV lost to Westfield JV in a close
> game, tied South County, score was 50-50, very
> high scoring game. The other JV games were blow
> outs by Lake Braddock.
>
> Both Frosh and JV had very good seasons.

The scrimmage was a blowout by Centreville until the second and third string kids came in. When the starters were in Centreville dominated scoring at least 3 times in the first 10 play series.

The same thing happened when we played Oakton, when the starters were in we dominated the game, Oakton scored on the backups. Made the game look much closer than it really was.

Posted by: Oaktonaciever ()
Date: December 02, 2011 10:53PM

What do you think ok CJ on Oakton? Is he the real deal or a lot of hype. Seems like Centerville dominated the Counties best defense in the middle.

Posted by: Gonads & Strife ()
Date: December 02, 2011 11:11PM

1906734-1595201_oh_look_its_this_thread_

Posted by: lbjvparent ()
Date: December 03, 2011 11:03AM

Shorttermmemory Wrote:
> lbjvparent Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > For what it is worth, Centreville vs Lake
> Braddock
> > JV was a scrimmage on Centreville's practice
> > field. Because it started late and they had no
> > lights, each team had 3 series of 10 plays,
> Lake
> > Braddock scored 3 times Centreville scored 3
> > times.
> >
> > Lake Braddock JV lost to Westfield JV in a
> close
> > game, tied South County, score was 50-50, very
> > high scoring game. The other JV games were blow
> > outs by Lake Braddock.
> >
> > Both Frosh and JV had very good seasons.
>
>
> The scrimmage was a blowout by Centreville until
> the second and third string kids came in. When the
> starters were in Centreville dominated scoring at
> least 3 times in the first 10 play series.
>
> The same thing happened when we played Oakton,
> when the starters were in we dominated the game,
> Oakton scored on the backups. Made the game look
> much closer than it really was.

No offense, and not trying to argue, but your recollection differs from everyone else that was at the scrimmage. Neither Centreville or LB was dominate in this scrimmage.

It really doesnt matter, I am not sure that it will be a direct reflection on what happens this year anyway.

Posted by: jvdoesntmatter ()
Date: December 04, 2011 12:46PM

I do not think that everyone should be focusing on JV as much as returning starters and players. There is a learning curve with playing varsity and the teams who will be sucessful early in the season are the teams with returning talent and good coaching staffs. ex. West Po, Oakton, Chantilly

Posted by: Wads ()
Date: December 04, 2011 05:17PM

Tough call.

Posted by: patfan ()
Date: December 05, 2011 08:22PM

Comments for the Patriot district

West Potomac front runner for the district and region
South County defense wins championships
Lake Braddock young team, may surprise
Woodson much better year now that the coaching staff has had a year under their belt.
West Springfield good running back not much else
TC Williams good athletes avergae coaching
Lee good athletes good staff
Annandale another tough year

Posted by: DWK99 ()
Date: December 06, 2011 03:56PM

I love how obvious it is that there are coaches (dads) there are on here. You make it so obvious

Posted by: CJ ()
Date: December 06, 2011 04:07PM

How good is CJ the LB on the Oakton team?

Saw Oakton lost the last two games badly and he just did not show anything.

Posted by: senior ()
Date: December 06, 2011 07:11PM

CJ was a senior. The linebackers for Oakton next year are not as good football players as the graduating seniors, but the linebackers will be more athletic. It is too early to tell how big they will be compared to last years, because it is early in the offseason. I felt Oakton's lack of major athleticism in the d line and backers allowed for other teams to take advantage of them late in the season.

Posted by: 88outhegate ()
Date: December 06, 2011 07:46PM

DWK99 Wrote:
> I love how obvious it is that there are coaches
> (dads) there are on here. You make it so obvious

It is amazing that some of these so called "fans" who say they "just follow the team" know so much "inside information". The level of detail is remarkable.

You have to ask yourself:
Where are they getting all of this info?
Would a coach really tell these "fans" specific info on their players?

I would agree, with the level of info that I have seen on here, sounds like coach(dad) on here

Posted by: postparent ()
Date: December 07, 2011 09:41PM

some people just love football and had kids who came up through these programs and built relationships with the coaches. they go to games of all levels to support the program

Posted by: NRTD ()
Date: December 08, 2011 10:53AM

Good Point!

I can see people making some general comments like, big kid, fast, good hands. But to know where someone is ranked in tackles on the team or players who forget the plays or any other specific information. Unless you are at practice everyday how could a fan of the program possibly know that.

Certainly seems like a coach or dad trying to make a name for him or his kid.

Posted by: JV< ()
Date: December 09, 2011 09:49PM

JV and freshman teams dont matter. The freshmen fresmen and sophmores are moved up and all that matters is your varsity team. JV and fresh. is all for pride.

Posted by: cvillefan ()
Date: December 11, 2011 12:16PM

Since the season for '11 is officially over. Is this the official thread now?

Posted by: footballfan2012 ()
Date: December 11, 2011 01:10PM

Top teams 2012 Northern Region

West Potomac - returns the best QB WR tandem Henderson Pierson-El in the region.
A ton of athletes and a huge line

Westfield - Best coaching staff in the state

Stone Bridge - Returning QB Burns will have a much better year, Allen may be the best player in the state.

Team that could surprise 2012

Centreville - loses alot, but has a ton of athletes that may surprise

TC Williams - returns QB and and a ton of athletes could be a team to watch

Chantilly - Coaching staff hurts them, but they have a ton of hard nosed players

Teams that will struggle 2012

Robinson - no notable players returning, caoching staff questions fit.

Lake Braddock - no notable players returning no running game or passing game this year.

Annandale - no talent, no coaching

Posted by: skinsfan ()
Date: December 11, 2011 01:50PM

Robinson and lb are gonna struggle next year

Posted by: Buzz ()
Date: December 11, 2011 08:01PM

Oakton is expected to be strong next year. Many key skill players are coming back. They will put up points. Main question will be their D.

Posted by: my thoughts ()
Date: December 11, 2011 08:28PM

Top Team

West Pot: Several young players with experience, including a top QB prospect

Contenders

Madison: Second year under new coach. Look for a solid team who could surprise

Chantilly: Althetes returning. Still question decision making fro QB and must replace key parts on offense and D.

Westfield: Lose almost everyone, but will still continue to be competitive after the pieces fall in place.

Oakton: Offensive fire power with what should be the biggest o-line out of Oakton in years. Entire secondary returns.

TC: Typical TC team. Great athleticism, need to see if they can put it together.

Keep Eyes on

Herndon: Feel they are primed to scare a couple people this year and make it to the playoffs

LB: Always seem to get it done. Could come out and sneak in the picture in a down year.

Out of It

Lee
Woodson
Annandale
Marshall

*Stone Bridge: I am still not sure about this team. Burns is said to be a great QB but he is losing practiaclly his only target #1 and made too many mistakes to be a division 1 QB. The Chantilly game was awful. I do not see the talent yet. I expect them to be good, but not as good as the school is customed to.

Posted by: stonebridgefan ()
Date: December 11, 2011 08:50PM

I agree, the QB from Stone Bridge is horrible. He is 6'5 220, passes the look test and he looks great throwing on air.
I have seen him play 4 games and he was not very good. A big disappointment.

I also saw him at a few camps and everyone was all over him. Put him in a game situation and he is just awful.

He has offers from BC and UVa, I wonder if they are still on the table.
I dont see how after they see him on film. It is one thing to have the size, but he simply isnt a good QB, maybe he can play TE.

Posted by: pdc fb1 ()
Date: December 11, 2011 10:37PM

Go ahead and sleep on West Springfield. Watch out for them next year

Posted by: 4shiznits ()
Date: December 11, 2011 10:57PM

Never thought about it much before, but the teams that make it to regional champs round and to the state round get 3 to 5 weeks of extra practice for their young players. The juniors,JV and freshman players have an opportunity to get so much more football under their belt and it helps teams stay at or near the top if teams take advantage of it. Teams that take advantage of bringing up their young players tend to benifit a year or two after a good playoff run. Ok so it is obvious but i never really thought about it. Phoebus has some sr's that have had close to 20 more weeks of football practice than most. part of the reason they are staying at the top?

Posted by: Wonderin ()
Date: December 12, 2011 09:47AM

What happened to Chantilly this year that caused their poor performance over the last games? Injuries? Turmoil? Other than Herndon win, they fell flat after losing to Westfield.

Posted by: just bad ()
Date: December 12, 2011 07:16PM

They played a incredibly weak schedule to start off. When they got to the district they were exposed. Fights regularly broke out during practice. QB couldnt take control and made bone head decisions. Just overall not talented or smart enough to make noise

Posted by: the truth about chantilly ()
Date: December 12, 2011 07:49PM

just bad Wrote:
> They played a incredibly weak schedule to start
> off. When they got to the district they were
> exposed. Fights regularly broke out during
> practice. QB couldnt take control and made bone
> head decisions. Just overall not talented or
> smart enough to make noise

Chantilly's out-of-district schedule was just as hard as the other Concorde teams. They took on Stone Bridge the 1 seed in D5, West Springfield who contended for 1 of the 3 non-Concorde spots in the playoffs and was the first one out, and Langley was an okay playoff team, before their qb went down which was when they faced them.

In district there is no doubt the level of competition went up exponentially, but the talent differential wasn't nearly as big as the results indicated. That team folded and gave up after a couple ass kickings. The line got dominated though, and they had the worst qb in the district (who got an honorable mention, wow) which crippled them. Even more so was the play calling, I get there a run team, but it didn't work with the weak line.

People are saying this team should be good next year, as they return almost all key players, but really? They seem like a team that will fold when the going gets tough, I do not know how a team responds to a second half of the season like they had.

Posted by: looo ()
Date: December 12, 2011 07:59PM

Teams that might struggle

Lake Braddock- a young team but they might come out with some wins

Annandale- they have young guys, but little speed .But the team itself has pride and might surprise

Woodson-Lost some key players, might not recover for a while

Chantilly-If they can get their act together

Tc-No discipline

Posted by: pat riots ()
Date: December 13, 2011 10:44AM

West Potomac will clearly dominate the Patriot district this year.

1. WP - Top team Very athletic, QB WR returning, big Oline
2. SC - DE returning,best defensive player in the district, Always tough on D
3. TC Williams - always a wildcard returning QB with a few athletes could be their year
4. West Springfield - great RB with a decent QB could surprise
5. Woodson - 5 returners should be better this year
6. LB - no offense + no skill players = tough year
7. Lee - no returners, but could be athletic team
8. Annandale - another tough year with many more to come

Posted by: shallow ()
Date: December 13, 2011 04:42PM

I believe this year you will see 3, maybe 4 teams dominate division 6. I cant see South County being good again the following year, but see two or three teams out of the concord as well as West Potomic controlling the region.

Posted by: wshs ()
Date: December 14, 2011 05:43PM

We are sleeping on West Springfield, because yes they may be returning "12 starters" but what did those players do last year? What did they accomplish? Who did they beat that is even worth discussing? Yes they do have a good running back, but that doesnt make their team. They will probably be a playoff team, nothing more.

Posted by: footballfan88 ()
Date: December 14, 2011 10:01PM

Has anyone heard if they filled the Oakton, Herndon and McLean football head coaching positions?

I heard the Oakton job would be filled by the interim coach, but hadnt heard anything about the others.

Posted by: region insider ()
Date: December 14, 2011 10:06PM

Oakton will bring back their interim coach, he did a fine job, this is just a formality for affirmative action. Herndon is still vacant, Mclean has been filled but has not released a name. Then new in to the mix, the job at Marshall is now open.

Posted by: ramfan ()
Date: December 14, 2011 10:38PM

What about all of those Ex Robinson coaches I would think at least one of those would be in the mix. I believe that there were a few of them who applied for the Robinson position.

Where did they end up?

Posted by: gotchu ()
Date: December 14, 2011 11:03PM

Coach Blaire and Francese both had a breif stint at south county in the offseason.
Blaire went to LB and francese followed suit as the D.C. when he didnt get the soco job. Those are the two that left robo. Not sure if they are applying for the openings. I doubt it

Posted by: ram06 ()
Date: December 15, 2011 01:24AM

I forgot about them going to Braddock, that must have been weird for them.

Coach Francese is a great DC he should be in position to get a head coach job.
He should be running his own program. Herndon would be a good place for him.

I think it was crazy not to hire him at Robinson, I wonder if they are regretting that now.

Posted by: Coaches ()
Date: January 02, 2012 10:15PM

Rowley was introduced as Oaktons head coach, dropping the interim title. He has a great group of kids that should contend for district, region, and state titles.

Posted by: nr ()
Date: January 02, 2012 11:03PM

Any word on the McLean or Herndon openings.

Posted by: OaktonAlum ()
Date: January 03, 2012 07:51AM

Did Oakton interview anyone else for the position? If so, who? If not, why did this take so long?

Posted by: Oakton Interview Process ()
Date: January 03, 2012 01:41PM

Oakton interviewed a few candidates, as a formality it is required. I know they interviewed coaches on Madison, Centreville and West Springfield's staffs, but I think they were always set on Rowley who did a fine job over at Oakton.

Posted by: fan ()
Date: January 03, 2012 07:28PM

senior Wrote:
> CJ was a senior. The linebackers for Oakton next
> year are not as good football players as the
> graduating seniors, but the linebackers will be
> more athletic. It is too early to tell how big
> they will be compared to last years, because it is
> early in the offseason. I felt Oakton's lack of
> major athleticism in the d line and backers
> allowed for other teams to take advantage of them
> late in the season.

As a fan of Oakton I do not agree with this statement. I can only account for 1 linebacker that's coming up that would have been more athletic than any of the 3 linebackers Oakton had. Maybe in the offseason they'll make some gains but I'm pretty sure 2 of Oaktons linebackers were 3 year starters and that game experience is not coachable.

Posted by: hmmmmmmm ()
Date: January 03, 2012 07:29PM

senior Wrote:
> CJ was a senior. The linebackers for Oakton next
> year are not as good football players as the
> graduating seniors, but the linebackers will be
> more athletic. It is too early to tell how big
> they will be compared to last years, because it is
> early in the offseason. I felt Oakton's lack of
> major athleticism in the d line and backers
> allowed for other teams to take advantage of them
> late in the season.

As a fan of Oakton I do not agree with this statement. I can only account for 1 linebacker that's coming up that would have been more athletic than any of the 3 linebackers Oakton had. Maybe in the offseason they'll make some gains but I'm pretty sure 2 of Oaktons linebackers were 3 year starters and that game experience is not coachable.

Posted by: jdiz ()
Date: January 03, 2012 08:17PM

if yall oakton niggas aint got more athltic backers den last year yall screwed and gonna get yo asses run outa da district again dis year

Posted by: WP 2012 ()
Date: January 03, 2012 11:27PM

i dont know why people are calling LB a sleeper next year. They will have no passing game for the first time in a long time. And no running game again. There running backs are very soft and will NOT be able to run the ball against the competition they play. There defense will Not be as good as last year because they do not have any playmakers. Bottom Line is West Potomac will cruise to a 2nd district title in 2 years

Posted by: pat riot ()
Date: January 04, 2012 01:01AM

Who is saying LB is going to be good!Or even a sleeper!
This will be a down year for them, maybe 4-6 or 5-5

I dont think the offense will be very good.
They havent been able to run the ball for the past few years.
I dont see this year being any different
Now this year they will not be able to throw it either.
Not a good situation

The Defense struggled last year against the better teams, Something they were not use to. I think losing the DC to Woodson really hurt them. Braddock has usually had very good defenses the past 4 or 5 years.They do not return very many on defense this year, so it could be a very long year.

Posted by: concord ()
Date: January 04, 2012 12:07PM

I do not follow much outside the concord but i did see braddock play and do not see anything special in the near future. I would say the same for south county as well withthe exception of burkes. I saw west springfield scrimmage ver early and i saw little besides their running back in a read option gamme which can easily be taken away if prepared for well. Correct me if im wrong but it sounds like west pot will seemmingly be the only competition for concord teams

Posted by: Don't Forget the Stallions ()
Date: January 04, 2012 12:30PM

South County will remain legit. There putting in 6-8 hours a week in weight and agility training, and the season just ended. Pannoni has the guys commited over there and I expect them to be great next year. Hard work does pay off.

Next Year's contenders (D5 and D6): West Potomac, Stone Bridge, South County, Chantilly, Centreville, Westfield, Oakton

*Centreville and Westfield have a lot of talent coming up, but with them losing so much, this is Chantilly's year if they put the work in, with almost all key players returning.

Pages: 123AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.