HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
DWI Checkpoints = waste of resources
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 14, 2005 06:53AM

so... i REALLY couldnt sleep so i did this mindless task of checking all the result on the FCPD News Release site (formerly the FCPD Blotter... guess they didnt like the name, i didnt). so here is a boring amount of stats that shows that indeed DWI checkpoints are a waste of time. it's not completely finished, nor do i plan, but whatever. a side note: the FCPD have NO scheme for naming files, nor do they have a database. they must be the technologically sophisitcated types.

September  9, 2005 - West Springfield       - 510 - 0
September  3, 2005 - Franconia              - NOT REPORTED
August    26, 2005 - Reston                 - 757 - 3
August    20, 2005 - Mason                  - NOT REPORTED
August    12, 2005 - McLean                 - 624 - 1
August     5, 2005 - Mount Vernon           - 835 - 3
July      29, 2005 - Sully                  - NOT REPORTED
July      23, 2005 - West Springfield/Sully - 750 - 1
July      15, 2005 - Fair Oaks              - 748 - 1
July       9, 2005 - West Springfield       - 613 - 2
July       4, 2005 - Franconia (boating)    -  43 - 0
June      25, 2005 - Reston                 - 468 - 3
June      24, 2005 - Mount Vernon           - 441 - 2
June      11, 2005 - McLean                 - 683 - 2
May       28, 2005 - Sully                  - NOT REPORTED
May       14, 2005 - Fair Oaks              - 690 - 2
May        7, 2005 - West Springfield       - 626 - 6
May        5, 2005 - Franconia              - 489 - 1
April     22, 2005 - Reston                 - 182 - 1
April     16, 2005 - Mason                  - 464 - 1
April      8, 2005 - McLean                 - NOT REPORTED
April      2, 2005 - Mount Vernon           - NOT REPORTED
March     25, 2005 - Sully                  - 302 - 2
March     17, 2005 - Reston                 - 568 - 1
January   15, 2005 - Franconia/Mt. Vernon   - 503 - 3
January    7, 2005 - Fair Oaks              - 497 - 2
December  30, 2004 - Franconia              - 932 - 0
December  31, 2004 - West Springfield       - FILE DELETED
November  26, 2004 - Mount Vernon           - 650 - 3
November  20, 2004 - Fair Oaks              - INCORRECT FILE
November  14, 2004 - Mason                  - 663 - 3

TOTALS                 13038 STOPPED
                          43 INTOXICATED

PERCENTAGE INTOXICATED:    0.3298052%  <-- corrected percentage

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2005 04:31PM by Gravis.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DWI Checkpoints = waste of resources
Posted by: JM ()
Date: September 14, 2005 07:32AM

Just shows everyone that they really are out there...

Posted by: darbrewe ()
Date: September 14, 2005 09:21AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2015 02:19PM by darbrewe.

Posted by: Jim ()
Date: September 14, 2005 09:21AM

Yep, looks to me as if 43 potential accidents and/or fatalities were stopped dead in their tracks. If they have a snoot full and are STILL stupid enough to pass through publicized DUI checkpoints they won't stop for a minute to crash into you or your family. Many people on this board need to grow up and get over your hatred towards law enforcement and realize that you can't just do whatever the hell you want out there. Perhaps when some of you get a little older and have families of your own you'll be able to appreciate things a little better.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: September 14, 2005 10:10AM

Jim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yep, looks to me as if 43 potential accidents
> and/or fatalities were stopped dead in their
> tracks.

Funny, my read is they also let 12,995 potential accidents due to speeding, or 12,995 possible drug sales due to smuggling drugs in trunks, or maybe even 12,995 car bombs through because I doubt they check trunks in the checkpoints.

When I drive home at night, if I am travelling with the flow of traffic, I may have a total of twenty cars within twenty yards of my car. If there is only a 0.3298052% chance (the percentage figure was off, what was shown above was the ratio) chance that a car has a drunk driver in it then that's not so bad.

I agree that this is an overapplication of police resources. Looking at my car while I drive by to see if my stickers are expired is one thing, but stopping my car without cause isn't American. Plus these checkpoints are out between 11p and 2a, right? How many people are driving their families around during this time period? I have a family and they are home, not driving around for the hell of it at midnight, that's only my job.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: September 14, 2005 04:29PM

they picked up over 100 drunk drivers on laborday weekend WITHOUT using checkpoints. seems they are more effective that way, sitting on the side of the road and not harassing EVERYONE who passes them.

Jim wrote
> Yep, looks to me as if 43 potential accidents and/or fatalities were stopped dead
> in their tracks. If they have a snoot full and are STILL stupid enough to pass
> through publicized DUI checkpoints they won't stop for a minute to crash into you
> or your family. Many people on this board need to grow up and get over your hatred
> towards law enforcement and realize that you can't just do whatever the hell you
> want out there. Perhaps when some of you get a little older and have families of
> your own you'll be able to appreciate things a little better.

Jim,
  as far as i can tell, they post every fatal car accident on the FCPD news site. there are few and i havent seen any listed that are alchohol related. as for my hatred of the police, it is WELL deservered. even my friends, family, and doctors agree. Jim, dont talk about matters you dont understand. i plan on having a wife... not wives mr polygamy. if you even say children, you are wasting your time... i never want them and yes, im old enough to say that confidently.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2005 04:42PM by Gravis.

Posted by: Smobien ()
Date: September 14, 2005 05:18PM

darbrewe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have a drink Gravis, relax.

HAHAHAHAH!!

Fucking hilarious.

Posted by: bizkit ()
Date: September 15, 2005 10:31AM

I think the idea is that it deters drunk driving because all the people that drive past it, or through it that aren't drunk see people being pulled over and checked out. I asked a cop about it once and he said they know they'd catch more drunks if they just went out in unmarked cars and pulled them over, but they put on the show with the flashing lights and the trailers that say "DWI Enforcement" so people see that they enforce DWI laws and people think twice about doing it. While I'm sure that will start a crapflood, I have to say I think it's a waste of manpower (and time if you're stuck in traffic because of a checkpoint).

Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 15, 2005 04:47PM

Well, I happened to have gotten suckered into a check point about 3 weeks ago. Luckily I had only downed 2 brews, but I was scared shitless. That day I only drank about 5 or 7 more and went home. So, it did keep me from going overboard and possibly driving drunk (well at least impaired). The deterrent factor is there, but does it warrant the manpower and resources involved? Well, if you save one life then it is worth it. The only issue I have with checkpoints is that they cause one nightmare of a congestion. Cops, however, are instructed to avoid congesting the roads by letting more drivers by which defeats the purpose. Also, if there was a better public transportation system people wouldn't have to drive drunk at night. Why not take some of the money used to combat "drunk driving" and put it towards expanding and improving the after midnight transportation system? Have metro run all night Thursday through Sunday morning. But asking for that means that politicians would have to think outside the box which is asking a little too much. Excuse my rant.

Posted by: Scout 741Baker ()
Date: September 15, 2005 11:35PM

Also, keep in mind that many DWI checkpoints are manned by "volunteer cops" known as the Police Auxiliary, so that all patrol officers in the area are not tied up. I don't think it's a waste of resources - I'm involved in law enforcement as well as the fire/rescue business. Catching 1 DWI is worth it.

Posted by: what about all the other toxins? ()
Date: January 11, 2013 02:19AM

So, when are they going to start checking for all the other intoxicating substances? Many prescription drugs even call for 'do not drive an automobile while taking this drug'. For the drug company knows it causes enough allebriation to interfere with a persons ability to drive safely.
What about checking for all the illegal drugs, as well?
Why pick on just alcohol? Lot of other substances out there just as bad or worse than alcohol.
No condoning the alcohol use or abuse and driving here. Just the narrow minded focus on it by the authority's.
There is no such thing as a contradicting authority. For, a contradicting authority is no authority at all!

Posted by: yay for Scout741Baker! ()
Date: January 11, 2013 02:22AM

Bravo! To catch just One of the scumbags is worth it! Yay!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.