HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Funding approved for NoVA streetcars
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: January 14, 2008 09:26AM

This is the first I've heard of this plan.... pretty interesting idea. On Thursday, the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority approved close to 40 million dollars toward the construction of a streetcar line that will run from Pentagon City out toward Bailey's X-roads. That whole stretch of Columbia Pike is pretty crowded, it seems like a good place for mass transit. It's also sort of unnerving the way this unelected body, the NVTA, can just raise taxes and appropriate money with such apparent ease.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/13/AR2008011303609.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2008 09:28AM by TheMeeper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Funding approved for NoVA streetcars
Posted by: SapphicHokieMom ()
Date: January 14, 2008 11:17AM

I believe that this is the type of creative, relatively low-cost thinking that needs to happen vis-a-vis mass transportation in the metro area. I am not a big fan of extending Metro to Tysons Corner, but can see the potential value if you stopped the line near the intersection of Route 7 and the Dulles Toll Road. I do not, however, see the economic return from extending this all the way to Dulles Airport and the Greenway. Seriously, who is going to take Metro all the way from Sterling to downtown DC?

My long-time preference has been to adopt a light rail system or trolley-like system with rubber tires for this route. The right-of-way essentially already exists and the construction time and cost would be a fraction of what it would take for Metro.

Of course, no one asks for my opinion on these matters. I really wonder why people have such a hard on for Metro to Dulles.

Posted by: slimey ()
Date: January 14, 2008 11:54AM

This project is a total waste of money. Then again, I have an "attitude" as a
result of having lived one block off Columbia Pike, near Four Mile Run, for
20 years. If the local bus services arent adequate, then they need to add more
buses. The additional operating/administrative costs required for this project
are just downright unnecessary. I rode a Metro bus down Col. Pike every day to
Constitution, changing once at the Pentagon. I was always pleased with the service
and enjoyed the 16F Express bus that picked me up and went all the way to the
Pentagon with just one additional stop.

Considering the overall nature of the current ridership, I cannot help but
wonder if this just isnt a "tourist attraction", or is it a convenient "shuttle
service" for the hordes of illegal immigrants who live there and need a cheap ride. And just think, the local governments are willing to give it to them.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 14, 2008 08:24PM

worst idea ever.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Be real ()
Date: January 14, 2008 08:32PM

The current transportation system in Baileys Crossroads works just fine. If it ain't broke why fix it?
Attachments:
7894_nepal_donkeys.jpg

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: January 14, 2008 11:56PM

I guess this helps to explain the bizarre tax increases we've been seeing recently. Look for more increases soon, when they eventually tell us that 40 million wasn't enough.
This is clearly a superficial project in an effort to bring in tourists and will have no impact on traffic, except to make it worse.

Posted by: Coastie ()
Date: January 15, 2008 07:44AM

When the VA Supreme Court rules against them raising taxes, this will go down like a fast food worker along Coulmbia Pike when ICE shows up!

BTW I don't have any problem with the state collecting tax to improve roads and transportation, but make it a state tax not a "regional" tax. Northern VA supports the rest of the state and the rest of the state needs to assist in improving the infastrucure of the more productive part of the state.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: January 15, 2008 07:53AM

Coastie Wrote:
> When the VA Supreme Court rules against them

Every story I've read about this has indicated that the NVTA will most likely prevail in this case.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 15, 2008 02:03PM

Coastie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but make it a state tax not a
> "regional" tax. Northern VA supports the rest of
> the state and the rest of the state needs to
> assist in improving the infastrucure of the more
> productive part of the state.

i completely agree.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: DirtDigler ()
Date: January 15, 2008 04:05PM

This is old news really and part of the Columbia Pike revitalization project that's been going on there. If you drive around the area you'll see a lot of condos and new building being built/renovated as part of the plan. for you all saying it's a waste of money, I believe this is a great ideal to extend Arlington. Maybe we'll get some bars and places to chill out. This will bring less crime and the gentrification (whatever your opinion is on it) will most likely force lower income outside of that area... so you racist's on here should support this.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.