HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Old School Book
Posted by: Dirty Jersey ()
Date: November 18, 2007 05:45PM

So I have a bunch of college books that arn't worth shit, is there some place that takes them? Im debating burning them for warmth this winter or donating them, any advice?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old School Book
Posted by: ECON202 ()
Date: November 19, 2007 12:06AM

take em to nova or GMU finals week, give em to some kid to trade in for you if they ask for your nova ID

Posted by: Kiev ()
Date: November 19, 2007 12:08AM

Burn them, but claim as donated.

Posted by: bob ()
Date: November 19, 2007 12:50AM

Dirty Jersey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I have a bunch of college books that arn't
> worth shit, is there some place that takes them?
> Im debating burning them for warmth this winter or
> donating them, any advice?

Come on man use your head. There are plenty of places that you can sell these used textbooks too, from the internet to local college campus'. You didn't mention if these textbooks were old; however, if they aren't I suggest you check online to see how many editions are ahead of your copy. With that you may easily be able to sell them back - for cash - GMU and NOVA do this, as many universities use the same textbook for more basic courses. Assuming they are outdated try the internet - many students will buy outdated copies to save money, although bookstores obviously won't sell them. Half.com / eBay has a book site as well. Either way don't burn them - you yourself should understand how costly textbooks are. Help a student out by selling them either on campus or online - remember when you were in school how much they cost.

Posted by: Bookworm ()
Date: November 19, 2007 07:32AM

Depending on how old they are, I'd suggest at least trying to give them away.
I wish you luck though. The business of college textbooks is a racket and most
schools constantly gouge students/parents by switching texts frequently. I kept
a lot of mine for years thinking they may come in handy for reference. Then
came the Internet and they became dust catchers. There are some churches that
send books to third world countries. You might consider that too.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: November 19, 2007 07:52AM

Bookworm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Depending on how old they are, I'd suggest at
> least trying to give them away.
> I wish you luck though. The business of college
> textbooks is a racket and most
> schools constantly gouge students/parents by
> switching texts frequently. I kept
> a lot of mine for years thinking they may come in
> handy for reference. Then
> came the Internet and they became dust catchers.
> There are some churches that
> send books to third world countries. You might
> consider that too.

The church suggestion is a good one that I had not thought of, but I don't know how you would find an interested group. A Google search for "buy used textbooks" will give you a bunch of sites, but you need to enter the ISBN to find out a) whether they have a market for this text and b) how much they will give you. In the end, it might just cover the shipping cost.

The reality, however, is that a textbook more than 2-3 years old is going to be practically unsellable even for topics that don't really change that much like accounting and statistics.

Posted by: Space Ghost ()
Date: November 19, 2007 08:06AM

That makes my blood boil. They make a huge textbook that covers say 3-4 years of math and then every couple years at most, they change the homework problems. At NOVA, they even use different books for the same course at different campuses. There must be something that could be done. Couldn't a school buy 5-10 years worth of the same edition and then buy and sell used ones until they run out of the edition?

Posted by: Space Ghost ()
Date: November 19, 2007 08:08AM

By the way, you could try to sell them (for not much money) to either McKay Used Books in Manassas, or Reston's Used Book SHop at Lake Anne. How old are they?

Posted by: BR ()
Date: November 19, 2007 09:37AM

There's a Community Used Book Fair most every day in various locations around the county. The one I know of meets in front of the 7-11 on Elden Street every morning.

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: November 19, 2007 01:53PM

i went online to see which of my books had a "market" (or in other words, still worth anything)...

i sold those (3 out of around 20) and have the rest in a bin in my closet...

if you can round up some more people in our situation - i am down for a huge ass book burning!!

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: November 19, 2007 01:58PM

donate them to a library

Posted by: Dirty Jersey ()
Date: November 19, 2007 05:40PM

These are book from when I was at NOVA, '02 to '04. Books from after I transfered I sold back right after semester ended. Every site I went on and entered the ISBN's they said they will not buy them back (cause newer editions are out). I think 1 book they offered like 10 cents for.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.