HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Teachers Pay
Posted by: curb ()
Date: February 19, 2011 11:29AM

I really do not understand why teachers in fairfax county complain so much about pay. They only work at 8 months out of the year and get at minium 30k. In all honesty I think they should only make 20k since they only work 8 months out of the year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Teachers Pay
Posted by: ken ()
Date: February 19, 2011 11:37AM

curb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I really do not understand why teachers in fairfax
> county complain so much about pay. They only work
> at 8 months out of the year and get at minium 30k.
> In all honesty I think they should only make 20k
> since they only work 8 months out of the year.

current starting salary 44k in fcps

Posted by: not_a_teacher ()
Date: February 19, 2011 11:45AM

curb Wrote:

Maybe if you spent a little more time in class you'd be able to count a little better. 8 months? How'd you arrive at that figure?

Posted by: reader ()
Date: February 19, 2011 11:49AM

They work ten months. However, they do get holidays during those months, so it equates to about nine months.

I have been a teacher and I do know that they work very, very hard. The contract credits them with a 7.5 hour day. I do not believe that any decent teacher works that amount. Most teachers put in far more hours than that. It is not an easy job.

However, the benefits are quite generous. If you look at the FCPS budget, you will see that teachers with families get around $12,000 worth of health insurance from the county and the county contribution to the pension is quite generous. The retirement benefit is also very good. A lot of teachers over the past few years were offered early retirement by the county (state?). It supposedly was "cost saving". I think all of the cost savings were kicked down the road, and now we are seeing the results.

I agree with you, though, on the pay. In today's economy, we cannot afford the raise. However, if the school board were better stewards of the budget, there might be money for a raise.

Posted by: Get serious or get off ()
Date: February 19, 2011 12:44PM

curb wrote:

I think they should only make 20k since they only work 8 months out of the year.

If they cut me to 20K, I can find a lot of other jobs where I don't have to work nearly this hard. Walmart greeter for example. Mindless and no responsibility. I can go home after 8 hours and watch TV. Of course I can then get food stamps for my kids and go on Medicaid for their health insurance. I can probably also get free lunch for them and I'll eventually (actually quickly) default on my home loan and possibly get subsidized housing. Let's see how much you like paying for those things. Oh, yes, I can default on my student loans from college too. I'm sure you and your children won't be affected by any of this.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: February 19, 2011 12:46PM

Lol, if you cut teacher pay to $20k you'd get $20k teachers.

----------------------------------------

"She looks pretty good for 12, admit it." - WingNut, 04/24/2012

"I'm racist too. So what?" - Ellipsis 9/16/2011

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Posted by: check it out ()
Date: February 19, 2011 03:44PM

Still alot for more than a few that think teaching involves plopping a video tape into a player almost every day

Posted by: Zak ()
Date: February 19, 2011 03:55PM

curb,

That is one of the most stupid things you can do. Sure, help balance the budgets now. However, in the long term, you're biting that hand that feeds you.

18 years from now, how many new scientists, engineers, etc do you think this country will have?

Hmmmm, I guess we can just import them from Asia.....

Posted by: Masters ()
Date: February 19, 2011 05:07PM

Zak,

Dont you think we already import from other countries? I guess we should have been paying these over paid teachers 200k instead and we would have the smartest kids in the world.

Posted by: 1ortheother ()
Date: February 19, 2011 05:08PM

Its either cut pay or benefits you choose.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: February 19, 2011 05:27PM

I think the days of pensions should be over, the federal government phased them out for new employees over 20 years ago. And it is pretty standard for employees to pay at least a part of their health care premiums.

But not only is teaching hard, if you are photographed being a legal adult you can be fired. So you have that hanging over your head, plus any BS accusation a student wants to make gets you fired on the accusation alone. So yeah, I don't have a problem with them making more than a Wal-Mart greeter.

----------------------------------------

"She looks pretty good for 12, admit it." - WingNut, 04/24/2012

"I'm racist too. So what?" - Ellipsis 9/16/2011

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: February 19, 2011 06:15PM

curb Wrote:

You're an idiot. They start out below the salary of a garbageman, and yet they have to work towards a Master's Degree for certification. Add on to that the fact that they need to continuously take more courses, and re-certify, and their job is worthy of far more pay. In NY the teachers make twice as much, and they can accomplish that working even part-time.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2011 06:17PM by ThePackLeader.

Posted by: sayin so ()
Date: February 19, 2011 06:20PM

justsayin Wrote:
> Lol, if you cut teacher pay to $20k you'd get $20k
> teachers.

+1

Posted by: Really ()
Date: February 19, 2011 06:38PM

These are who we trust to teach our youth. They need to be paid MORE! America is going down the drain because of parents like you.

Posted by: You can't win curb ()
Date: February 19, 2011 06:56PM

I'll bet "curb" is also one of those people who doesn't want "Obamacare". But if health care gets stripped from teachers and other public employees, national health insurance will have so much support he'll be sorry he ever asked for so many "cuts". People are going to be crying out for it pretty soon at this rate. It's just a matter of time.

Posted by: No Doubt About It ()
Date: February 19, 2011 06:59PM

I'd like to know more about the background of this "curb" person. Is he / she an employee of 7-11? Is he / she a frustrated student? Is he / she not a college graduate and jealous of people making a higher salary? Something prompted this stupid thread to be started by Curb ... but, I just can't put my finger on it.

Posted by: Cheaper maybe? ()
Date: February 19, 2011 07:04PM

Actually what is probably coming is no teacher at all. Even FCPS is looking into computer courses where a teacher is merely the proctor. The teacher will be able to monitor far more students and all of the material will be delivered electronically. With "Watson" just on Jeopardy last week, it's not hard to see a day when a kid gets on his computer and starts his class and then "Watson" continually adjusts it for him. It won't socialize the kids, but they will learn the material. Throw in 150 minutes a week of PE class and "Voila". Education. It solves the disciplinary problems also. Of course it might not be as much "fun" for the kids, but oh well.

Posted by: $20K Per Year ()
Date: February 19, 2011 07:06PM

Heck, the janitors make more than $20K per year at the schools. What does that tell you?

Posted by: fix that overpaid janitor problem ()
Date: February 19, 2011 08:08PM

They want to take care of that overpaid janitor problem also. The idea is to have contractors and put the janitors on hourly pay. There is one place in FCPS where they are doing this and the contractor has hired what appear to be illegal aliens (can't speak English). I think they are probably close to minimum wage. They come in at night. No benefits for those people.

Posted by: not true ()
Date: February 19, 2011 08:31PM

All teachers minimum salary is 44 thousand dollars, that is the first year.

Posted by: really????? ()
Date: February 19, 2011 08:31PM

fix that overpaid janitor problem Wrote:
FCPS where they are doing this and the
> contractor has hired what appear to be illegal
> aliens (can't speak English).

Racial profiling racist!

Posted by: racist ()
Date: February 19, 2011 08:39PM

Actually I was told they were not legal, but hey, the person who told me is probably racist.

Posted by: sumguy ()
Date: February 21, 2011 10:39AM

Take a look at this its teacher salary report for 194 days of teaching.
Attachments:
2011 teacher salary.pdf

Posted by: nom anon ()
Date: February 21, 2011 12:43PM

Since some people view teachers as over-paid baby sitters, let's adjust their pay to reflect that view. To be perfectly fair, that cost should be paid in full by the parent who decided to have the kid in the first place.

Let's give them $3.00 an hour per child (of course the cost will have to be inflated to afford the county's cut) and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and plan-- that equals 6 1/2 hours).

Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day.

However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.

Hmmm....That's $585 X 180= $105,300 per year. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).

Posted by: babysitter ()
Date: February 21, 2011 01:23PM

I'm not sure where you're getting the $3.00 per child babysitter fee..... Babysitters in Northern VA earn close to $20 per hour!

Posted by: wow! ()
Date: February 21, 2011 01:31PM

nom anon Wrote:
> Since some people view teachers as over-paid baby
> sitters, let's adjust their pay to reflect that
> view. To be perfectly fair, that cost should be
> paid in full by the parent who decided to have the
> kid in the first place.
>
> Let's give them $3.00 an hour per child (of course
> the cost will have to be inflated to afford the
> county's cut) and only the hours they worked; not
> any of that silly planning time, or any time they
> spend before or after school. That would be $19.50
> a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch
> and plan-- that equals 6 1/2 hours).
>
> Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these
> teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many
> students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So
> that's $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day.
>
> However, remember they only work 180 days a
> year!!! I am not going to pay them for any
> vacations.
>
> Hmmm....That's $585 X 180= $105,300 per year.
> (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).

Wow, if you are a teacher and this is the sort of thought process you have, I can see why we have problems with the schools.

Posted by: nom anon ()
Date: February 21, 2011 02:12PM

wow! Wrote:
> Wow, if you are a teacher and this is the sort of
> thought process you have, I can see why we have
> problems with the schools.

Well, if jumping to conclusions proves your level of intelligence, I guess you'd be able to explain the flaw in this logic, Einstein? No, I'm not a teacher, but I can see good value when it's right in front of my nose. The services performed by the teachers of this county and elsewhere far exceed the level of pay they receive if only viewed from their most basic function - childcare. If we were to factor in the intangibles - educating, teaching coping skills, positive social reinforcement - I don't think even you, oh wise one, could determine a reasonable figure for salary. And let's not even get into the strict/expensive educational standards that are needed to even become a teacher.

If it's not broke, why fix it? I'm not advocating raises, I'm just saying what have they done to deserve a dock in pay?

Posted by: IamMe ()
Date: February 27, 2011 07:50AM

FFX County employes do pay part of their health care,

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: February 27, 2011 08:54AM

justsayin Wrote:
> Lol, if you cut teacher pay to $20k you'd get $20k
> teachers.

The idiot that wrote probably makes $20,000 a year

20K is not a salary that would attract even semi desent people to the job. The custodians make more than that.

Posted by: 12345 ()
Date: February 27, 2011 10:55AM

Just curious - how much vacation/sick time to FCPS teachers get during the school year? Do they get the 2 weeks of vacation that is the standard in the private sector?

Posted by: BraddockDistrict ()
Date: February 27, 2011 11:35AM

12345 Wrote:
> Just curious - how much vacation/sick time to FCPS
> teachers get during the school year? Do they get
> the 2 weeks of vacation that is the standard in
> the private sector?

http://www.fcps.edu/DHR/employees/benefits/leave.htm

Sick leave
If you are a monthly-paid employee but work less than 12 months, you earn sick leave at a rate of .0632 per hour for every hour worked.

Personal leave
FCPS allows less-than-twelve-month employees, instructional staff, and all other employees who work fewer than twelve months each year to use up to three days of sick leave as personal leave.

Posted by: not eesh ()
Date: February 27, 2011 12:09PM

I can't believe this topic of teacher's pay just can't be dropped. How many threads do we need about this? If it were such an easy, high-paying and gratifying job, there would be people lined up 3 blocks long outside of Jack Dale's office begging for a job. Sheesh!

Posted by: former teacher ()
Date: February 27, 2011 12:24PM

Just remember----sick leave is 10 days, 3 of which can be used for any purpose. That is in addition to almost all the Federal holidays and at least a week in December and the Spring. 194 days comes out to 39 weeks worked.

I've been a teacher and it is an extremely tough job. Teachers do deserve a fair pay. In the past, teachers were paid ridiculously low wages. That is not the case today. Sure, they deserve a raise--and most get a raise through a step increase. The money is not there for a raise.

Check out how much FCPS pays for their health insurance and retirement benefits. They may not get a raise, but the county is paying more for them. ($12,000 for family health insurance.) I suspect the teachers have excellent coverage.

A pay raise is not realistic in these economic times.

However, if FCPS mangaged the budget properly and spent less on boundary studies, administrative offices and personnel, etc., the money would be there for teachers. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors in the budget. Closing a superior school and building and moving trailers and modulars just does not make sense to me. Perhaps, it is necessary to jusify the 87 people who work in the construction section of Facilities.

Posted by: memememe ()
Date: February 27, 2011 01:26PM

Since the above poster didn't explain why this was wrong, I will:

You are saying that if a day care CHARGES a customer $50 per day, a teacher performing daycare-like services should MAKE $50 per day. It doesn't work like that; no one is ever paid what their company bills them out at. The company has to figure out what the labor costs are (i.e. your salary) and then add a premium on for all of their overhead costs - for rent, facilities, insurance, profit etc. - your salary + this premium is the amount that gets charged to the customer.

If you went into business for yourself, you'd have to pay the overhead costs too, and factor that in to whatever you're charging your customers. They don't magically disappear.

Since some people view teachers as over-paid baby
> sitters, let's adjust their pay to reflect that
> view. To be perfectly fair, that cost should be
> paid in full by the parent who decided to have the
> kid in the first place.
>
> Let's give them $3.00 an hour per child (of course
> the cost will have to be inflated to afford the
> county's cut) and only the hours they worked; not
> any of that silly planning time, or any time they
> spend before or after school. That would be $19.50
> a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch
> and plan-- that equals 6 1/2 hours).
>
> Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these
> teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many
> students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So
> that's $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day.
>
> However, remember they only work 180 days a
> year!!! I am not going to pay them for any
> vacations.
>
> Hmmm....That's $585 X 180= $105,300 per year.
> (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).

Posted by: memememe ()
Date: February 27, 2011 01:40PM

Both of my parents were teachers while I was growing up. They always complained about how underpaid they were and that's why we never had any money, etc. I remember them going on strike all the time (this was not Virginia). When I was younger and didn't know any better, I was totally on board with this argument. Now that I'm older, and have been working in the private sector for a few years, I realize that my parents' complaints were a load of crap fed to them by their teacher's union. Unfortunately for nearly everyone (except teachers who are lazy - more on that below), these unions are pretty powerful and good at controlling the media and selling their schtick to the general public. However, just look at the numbers:

Fairfax teachers work on average about 200 days out of the year. Assuming that they work 8 hours a day (which is more than required!), this means they work 1600 hours per year. 40 hours x 40 weeks (i.e. 200 days) = 1,600 hours per year. The very lowest entry level salary for a full-time teacher is $44,000/year; I imagine most are making more than this. Here's the FCPS pay scale: http://www.fcps.edu/DHR/salary/scalepdfs/fy11/FY11-194-day_teacher.pdf

$44,000 per year / 1,680 hours = $27.50/hr for an entry level teacher.

And I'd note that this is just raw salary, and does not even incorporate the health care, retirement benefits, and a pension (which is based upon the average of the employee’s 60 highest consecutive months of creditable compensation). Or the fact that they get a lovely, long summer vacation, which is, quite honestly, a fantastic benefit for one's mental health and personal life if nothing else.

Now, what other profession can you make $27.50/hr + fantastic benefits (and a pension!!) right out of college with a B.A. degree? Unless you went to an Ivy League school and are connected, that job does not exist in the private sector. This should be a red flag that something is off here.

To give you some perspective on this hourly rate: I'm a lawyer. I did well in undergrad and graduated from law school with a respectable GPA. For the sake of argument, we'll assume that I work 45 hours a week, although in reality it's more like 50. My job is very stressful; I rarely leave work before 8pm. I don't get summers off. I get six paid holidays (New Years, Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day) and three weeks total paid leave a year, which is both my vacation and sick leave. If I actually use that time, I suffer when I get back; my workload doesn't stop just because I'm not there. I have a 401k with no matching. I pay for part of my health insurance. My entry level salary was about $31/hr not including benefits, which are quite frankly, not great benefits at that.

So to recap - a teacher fresh out of a four-year degree program with no work experience makes $27.50/hr with pension, amazing benefits and 2+ months off in the summer vs. a lawyer with a four year degree, and three years getting a law degree makes $31/hr with crappy benefits and maybe three weeks off (assuming I don't get sick). So the difference between an entry level attorney and an entry level teacher is a measly $3.50/hr. Respectfully, I don't think that's fair.

To add another perspective, a private day care provider makes about $18/hr.

In light of this, I have an extremely difficult time buying the argument that teachers are underpaid. When you consider all of the benefits that a teacher gets that I do not, our total compensation package has got to be about equal. Now, I know exactly how hard teachers work - I grew up with them; my parents' friends were all teachers. I'm selfishly glad my parents made that money, since I undoubtedly am a beneficiary of it, but do I think that they are paid a fair and reasonable salary for the amount of work they do? Absolutely not.

The other problem with the current system is that ALL teachers, no matter how good or bad they are, are making about the same salary. I will concede that some teachers do deserve a good salary. Their job is important from a social perspective and the good teachers I had growing up undoubtedly had a positive influence on me and I see no reason why they should not be financially rewarded for their dedication. However, I also had some absolutely awful teachers who did not care about their students and were just plain lazy. It blows my mind that a crappy teacher who works the bare minimum is making the same amount as a hard-working teacher who actually cares; this also seems incredibly unfair. I also can't imagine why the good teachers who work hard are still on board with the union party line - they should be demanding incentive-based compensation, so that they make more than their lazy colleagues. Unfortunately, those teachers are probably working so hard at teaching they can't be bothered to take the time to get involved in the union politics, etc., so the whole system is run by the people who aren't good teachers and want the most money they can for the least amount of work. And really, there is no financial incentive for a teacher to work hard or be a better teacher, so why try? If quality is not rewarded, the natural response is to say "why bother?" Luckily for everyone, there are still teachers who take pride in their work regardless of the incentives - but the fact that this happens in spite of the lack of monetary compensation seems to support an argument that no matter what teachers are paid, it will still attract some quality people because of the non-financial rewards involved (e.g. knowing that you're making a difference, helping people, changing lives for the better, etc.). There are a lot of non-monetary rewards that come with teaching, and I am of the opinion that this is the REAL reason there are good teachers out there, it has very little to do with the money.

Posted by: an observer ()
Date: February 27, 2011 06:58PM

Amazing story of teacher pension in Wisconsin. Just an example of pensions gone wild.

ttp://biggovernment.com/beverard/2011/02/22/union-fails-pension-math-part-time-teacher-set-to-earn-more-in-retirement-than-she-did-while-employed/

Posted by: Breitfart's website sucks ()
Date: February 27, 2011 07:02PM

an observer Wrote:
> Amazing story of teacher pension in Wisconsin.
> Just an example of pensions gone wild.
>
>
> ttp://biggovernment.com/beverard/2011/02/22/union-
> fails-pension-math-part-time-teacher-set-to-earn-m
> ore-in-retirement-than-she-did-while-employed/

Adjusting for inflation, how does it fucking work?

Stupid article is stupid.

Posted by: Me will educ8 kids ()
Date: February 27, 2011 07:03PM

Are you sick of highly paid teachers?

Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or10 months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - babysit!

We can get that for less than minimum wage.

That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and plan-- that equals 6 1/2 hours).

Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day.

However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.

LET'S SEE....

That's $585 X 180= $105,300

per year. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).

What about those special

education teachers and the ones with Master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an

hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year.

Wait a minute -- there's

something wrong here! There sure is!

The average teacher's salary

(nation wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days

= $277.77/per day/30

students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student--a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!) WHAT A DEAL!!!!

Posted by: Dreznych ()
Date: February 27, 2011 09:53PM

Zak Wrote:
> curb,
>
> That is one of the most stupid things you can do.
> Sure, help balance the budgets now. However, in
> the long term, you're biting that hand that feeds
> you.
>
> 18 years from now, how many new scientists,
> engineers, etc do you think this country will
> have?

The problem is though that FCPS is financially retarded. They don't spend enough money on science and engineering because they blow it all on crap we don't need like art and music.

And I don't think that teachers should be paid less, but really, they're asking for way too much. Their "associations" are really just whiny labor unions. I am a student in FCPS and have witnessed firsthand that the teachers are (almost) all whiny, lazy idiots who care more about an extra dollar than they do about our posterity and their proper education.

Posted by: Art and music ()
Date: February 27, 2011 10:09PM

I agree. If your child is gifted in art and music you can pay for your child to attend classes outside of the FCPS.

We are failing our students in so many areas. We only have so many hours in the day. Do not even start me on the time we must teach to the test.

Sorry to say but some classes must go. With budget cuts we could save money and do away with the arts and music programs. They must be the first to go.

Posted by: 12 ()
Date: February 28, 2011 12:19AM

A society which thinks their teachers are over paid is failing. Hold teachers accountable (hell my kids KG teacher was so bad , i moved to private) - but dont tell me teachers are over paid.

Posted by: tgbwc ()
Date: March 15, 2011 07:55PM

Here are some numbers regarding how much a FCPS teacher pays in healthcare premiums:

Kaiser Permanente for an individual per month $98.01
Kaiser Permanente for a family per month $408.38

Family dental is another $20-$33 per month depending on the plan.

A retiree pays:
Kaiser Permanente for an individual per month $544.51
KP for a mini-family per month $1089.02
KP for a family per month $1361.27

Posted by: Nelson Muntz ()
Date: March 15, 2011 08:09PM

Teachers know going in what the salary is going to be or have a damn good idea. To take the job then start bitching and moaning is uncalled for.

Besides it is unfair to compare a nine month salary to those of us who work all year long. Object all you want but it is what it is. All summer off.

Posted by: Nelson Duntz ()
Date: March 15, 2011 09:01PM

Teachers are given a 10-month contract with a salary scale with small yearly increases, good benefits, and good retirement benefits.

Teachers do not get yearly bonuses, promotions with significant pay increases, stock options, or other perks available in private industry. For this, they accept the salary, benefits, and most importantly in this economy, the job security offered by the county and state.

Teachers don't bitch much when others bitch about them, until the contract signed by the state and county is not fulfilled.

Personally, I think all teachers should be 12-month employees with paid vacation. They could cut ALL of the county "central office" education positions and let teachers develop curriculum and other necessary school policy. But be prepared to pay teachers 1/6th more across the board AND add paid vacation.

Posted by: Know Nothing ()
Date: March 15, 2011 09:15PM

Memememe, you are an idiot. I can't believe that you wasted all that money and time in law school to work for a crappy job in a miserly law firm. There is still time!! Get re-trained and become a teacher!! You'll make more money and work less..with Summers off...yeah right. Be truthful and 'fess up. You're rolling in dough.

Posted by: Go babysit then ()
Date: March 15, 2011 11:46PM

If you think you can earn more babysitting...$105k or whatever...go for it.

Resign tomorrow and got get that higher paying job.

Nobody I know will miss you.

Posted by: KK ()
Date: March 16, 2011 07:28AM

Go babysit then Wrote:
> If you think you can earn more babysitting...$105k
> or whatever...go for it.
>
> Resign tomorrow and got get that higher paying
> job.
>
> Nobody I know will miss you.

So, if all the teachers did resign tomorrow, what would you do? You'd have to pay for someone to baby sit your kid/s. How much would that cost? I really am asking, since I don't know, I don't think you'd find a baby sitter for $20 a day though.

Posted by: WTF ()
Date: March 16, 2011 07:58AM

curb Wrote:

Shouldn't this thread be titled "Teachers' Pay"?

Pay attention in class, son.

Posted by: KK ()
Date: March 16, 2011 08:15AM

Great Catch WTF, you must have been paying attention in class at some point!!!!!

WTF Wrote:
> curb Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I really do not understand why teachers in
> fairfax
> > county complain so much about pay. They only
> work
> > at 8 months out of the year and get at minium
> 30k.
> > In all honesty I think they should only make
> 20k
> > since they only work 8 months out of the year.
>
>
> Shouldn't this thread be titled "Teachers' Pay"?
>
>
> Pay attention in class, son.

Posted by: Be Real ()
Date: June 13, 2013 03:25PM

I work 12 months per year, I have a business degree, but I don't get yearly bonuses, promotions with significant pay increases, stock options, or other perks you name. Perhaps, I make more, on paper, but I do not get retirement contributions, time for family, or even paid training. If I took off from work every day my kids had off, I would be fired. I stay up late with my 3 FCPS Students to help get HW done, to make sure they understand their assignments, to review homework (because teachers just make sure it is done, not make sure it is correct), & to help with writing assignments, etc. I realize that 30 students in a classroom is insane, but many people feel a push back in attitude from teachers who are overburdened. It would be nice if they pushed back on the county and state for the insane requirements, rather than push back on the parents. Teachers should advocate for REAL learning, not overbearing standards.
All in all, the teachers have nice arrangement. It would be nice if they realize that the families the support are also overburdened.

Posted by: Am Real ()
Date: June 13, 2013 03:38PM

This thread is over two years old man. Get a life.

Posted by: uh-huh ()
Date: June 13, 2013 04:02PM

We need to remember that teachers know what the going rates are in the area. Do we want to be competitive, especially since our pay rates are already the lowest in the metro area? Do we want to continue to lose the best teachers because they can earn more in the neighboring counties? And according to many teachers that have already left, the commute can be actually faster +/or less stressful than it would have been here in Ffx Co.

We seem to agree that there's a lot of pork in the FCPS budget, but if we want to address some really big ticket items, why not start looking at some of our more notorious decisions - remodeling an older high school for 600 million when building a brand new one would have cost 200 million less,
or
hiring so many Gateway/non-school-based administrators,
or
mega-dollars spent on technology, the sacred cow of 21st-century education.

Posted by: madness ()
Date: June 13, 2013 05:46PM

"We seem to agree that there's a lot of pork in the FCPS budget, but if we want to address some really big ticket items, why not start looking at some of our more notorious decisions - remodeling an older high school for 600 million when building a brand new one would have cost 200 million less,
or
hiring so many Gateway/non-school-based administrators,
or
mega-dollars spent on technology, the sacred cow of 21st-century education."

+1000 Add to this the money spent on sending staff to expensive and unnecessary conferences and hiring "guest speakers" from "educational consultant groups" that will give said staff jobs in the future.

I also agree with the parent who posted about all the time he/she spends helping his/her children at night with schoolwork. This is why FCPS has great statistics for SAT scores, etc. It has just about zero to do with the Gateway and "technology".

Posted by: Liberal Logic 09 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 06:43PM

uh-huh Wrote:
> We need to remember that teachers know what the
> going rates are in the area. Do we want to be
> competitive, especially since our pay rates are
> already the lowest in the metro area?

I dont know if thats true or not but want to say it isnt.

Regardless less the vast majority of people would take 40k in FCPS than want to take 60k and teach at public school in DC

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: June 13, 2013 06:53PM

Teachers will NEVER clean their own house, ie demand cuts from the top earners or a reduction in wasteful spending as other posters mentioned.

FCPS is like a Mafia family who all work together for the same goal, more money for their selfish asses.

Loyalty to FCPS and growing their own paycheck is more important to these jackals than anything.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.