HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Basement Finishing tips/recommendations/advice
Posted by: jjjjoe ()
Date: January 19, 2011 04:09PM

We're wanting to finish our basement this summer and are looking for advice, tips, recommendations, etc. Are contractors making deals right now or are prices pretty much fixed in this area? Our walk out basement is approx. 900 sq ft. w/ plumbing roughed in. Smack dab in the middle of the basement is our water heater. Is it unrealistic to think of moving it closer to a wall or am I just dreaming.

Any good contractors anyone here could recommend? Thanks for your input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Basement Finishing tips/recommendations/advice
Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: January 19, 2011 04:21PM

I did it myself and saved a bunch of money. Problem is, it took almost three years.

Posted by: Bill N ()
Date: January 19, 2011 04:31PM

I recommend you start here: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/publications/basements/ . Even if you have no desire to do it yourself it will give you an idea of what is involved in the process.

Posted by: DIY ()
Date: January 19, 2011 04:33PM

> ...900 sq ft...

That's a big basement; the water heater (and furnace?) will end up in a closet or utility room.

I have a similar-sized basement - water heater and furnace are "under the steps" coming down from ground floor right smack dab in the middle of the basement floor. I sealed those into a utility room, added a wall along one side of the steps across that portion of the basement, added another wall across the basement where the steps started up above, added a third wall across a slightly narrower portion of the basement and made that room into a workroom (our basement is like a '+' with REALLY fat branches - they're now all individual rooms).

Traditionally, deals with contractors are indeed right now - wait much longer and the busy season (that lasts till late summer) begins.

Note - I did the stud work myself per code and roughed in electrical as well. Stopped when I had to attach electrical and/or start to seal in studs - need an inspection or two before you can do that. Stopped work on it til have enough free bucks to finish it right.

Date: January 19, 2011 04:34PM

More Complete Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I did it myself and saved a bunch of money.
> Problem is, it took almost three years.

Lol! Yup yup yup...

Date: January 19, 2011 04:35PM

Bill N Wrote:
> I recommend you start here:
> http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/publications/ba
> sements/ . Even if you have no desire to do it
> yourself it will give you an idea of what is
> involved in the process.

Ah, yes, that's the OTHER reason I haven't continued the work - in my basement I have to install an escape route because the regulations changed out from under me - no grandfathering in.

Estimates on cost of the escape window are in the thousands of dollars.

Posted by: Seeker ()
Date: January 19, 2011 05:10PM

Prices seem to be on par with what they were 12-18 months ago, but the wait is not as long. There are some quality carpenters on Craigslist, but you are most likely going to turn into a general contractor since even a 'simple' basement finishing/remodel requires electrician, plumber, painter and drywall and there are few tradespeople who can do all of this. Our basement was finished by the previous owner, but we needed some serious electrical work along with a finished ceiling to replace the existing suspended tiles. Our electrician (Delivered Electric) helped us find the painter and drywall guys.

You may have to live with the HVAC system and water heater where they are. After giving some thought to moving them we decided to keep our basement as a large 'L' with the main section being roughly 24x36 with an unfinished storage area roughly 12x18.

Date: January 19, 2011 05:38PM

You can move your hot water heater, but it will cost you.

Also, if you are going to finish the basement, I suggest you add a bathroom or bedroom in the process. Just a finished space won't necessarily add much to the value of your house. But having an additional bedroom or bathroom will (even a 1/2 bath).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Bob V ()
Date: January 19, 2011 07:24PM

I'm a small contractor (not trolling for work)- I do basements baths etc. I strongly suggest going the legal route and getting the proper permits for two reasons- one to make sure your contractor knows what he is doing and two- if you get caught or your neighbor turns you in or when you sell and the bank sees a basement where there was none before and wants permits- you will have to rip it all out and start over again.
Right now there are a lot of guys out of work and will be willing to work for as little as $10 an hour (foreigners and Americans) some know what they are doing, most don't, but if you have a permit you will know if they know what they are doing. Like a lot of people on this site, I'm not a big fan of the county, but in this regard a permit is cheap and easy insurance that your job is done right and safely. As suggested above, the county brochure on basements is excellent. The best contractors and sub contractors don't advertise so ask your friends and neighbors for recommendations or as Seeker suggests if you know a tradesman you trust he/she usually knows other tradesmen he/she can recommend.

If you are moving or enclosing your gas/ oil furnace or water heater you MUST allow the unit to get air for combustion- so use a louvered door or cut vents into the drywall. The furnace will not work properly or will blow off its flue pipe trying to get air for combustion.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: January 19, 2011 07:29PM

Use seperate contractors for the plumbing rough-in, plumbing, the electric, the framing, the drywall, paint and flooring. You will save.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Date: January 19, 2011 07:49PM

The county makes it relatively easy to finish your basement - note that you do NOT need permits until you get to a certain stage of construction. Even then the permit process is easy as well - I'd recommend using a licensed contractor for stuff like electrical FINISHING and plumbing (including gas) work - those might have to be done by licensed professionals anyway (actually not sure about that - the URL given above from Fairfax DOES say). But planning and initial construction can be done by YOU if you want (it's very satisfying, IMHO, to see a bunch of self-installed stud walls lined up and plumb, for example).

I finished my townhouse basement entirely by myself in PG County, MD. There one had to take an (easy) exam to prove ability to do electrical work, etc, but after that EVERYTHING was doable without outside help. As long as you adhere to "The Code" religiously you'll be just fine.

Doing THAT finishing convinced me I could do my basement here. All went fine until I got busy with work - that brought the project to a standstill; this is a problem that using outside help would resolve, of course. After that, the regulations changed and my no-walk-out basement suddenly needed some MAJOR work to install a sub-grade "escape" window and window well (even though the basement was not planned to have living quarters - just a rec and exercise room). Though this is probably doable single-handedly, I prefer to bring in outside experienced labor to do it instead. Note - a neighbor had his window well, etc "professionally" installed - I have never seen such SLOPPY work in my life on a house - the slabs of the walls were cut (to place the window) but the cuts extended up into the siding of the house, the one-piece window-well wall was installed with the ends of the wall too far apart so the well cover didn't fit, etc etc etc. So pick your "professional" properly!

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: January 19, 2011 08:06PM

jjjjoe Wrote:
> We're wanting to finish our basement this summer
> and are looking for advice, tips, recommendations,
> etc. Are contractors making deals right now or
> are prices pretty much fixed in this area? Our
> walk out basement is approx. 900 sq ft. w/
> plumbing roughed in. Smack dab in the middle of
> the basement is our water heater. Is it
> unrealistic to think of moving it closer to a wall
> or am I just dreaming.
>
> Any good contractors anyone here could recommend?
> Thanks for your input.

I just went through this nightmare this time last year. I actually "hired" an out of work construction-working relative to do the work. I spent more money than budgeted, however I got a lot more bang for my buck and I felt good about giving him a job. I took days off here and there when he needed a second set of hands. It probably took 4 weeks longer than it would have if I just hired somebody. And our drywall finishing skills, while good - I can notice every little fuck up.

I have the name of a great contractor who has done work for several neighbors and his work is immaculate plus his prices are really good. If you're not a dick about stuff, I've heard that he's really flexible and may throw stuff in for minimal cost. I'm going to use him when it comes time to re-do the kitchen - I'm not going to bother to get other bids. PM me and I'll give you his name.

As for the water heater (and your basement in general)...you can do anything. But it's going to cost you.

Also, if you hire somebody...figure about $25 per square foot to finish your basement and then add another 20 - 25% as a contingency cushion for all of those little changes that add up. Budget about $1500 for bathroom fixtures, wall/floor tiles and whatnot. One more....contractors are busier in the spring/summer/fall so your best prices are when the weather is shitty (i.e. winter), but don't expect huge savings, maybe 10%.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2011 08:16PM by Warhawk.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: January 19, 2011 08:21PM

Definitely shop around. For a major project I think the Angie's list membership fee is worth the money (I paid it). I had my 850 sf basement done and quotes ranged from 18K to 70K. The 18K quote was bare bones and he recommended no egress or permits, that the county would grandfather it in after time. I didn't go with him.

My HVAC and water heater are in the middle, I priced moving them and it was more than I was willing to pay. They are also co-located with washer dryer so we opted to finish the entire area as a large laundry room with two louvered doors. The hvac is new and quiet and it came out nice.

You don't have to worry about the egress window since yours is a walkout, I did. Quotes for egress were running around 5-6K separately or as an option (notn really an option since code requires it...)

I ended up paying 28K for the entire basement, floors, painting, egress, new Pella windows, travertine tile bath, real brick accent walls, two huge walls of mirrors for the weight room area, all lighting, etc. The guy I went with was a referral and I knew he did not have a class A license, although he had a lesser license and a bone fide business. All payments went to the business and everything was done to code. Since he didn't have a class A license I was listed as the General Contractor, still, he set up and went through all the inspections (around five in total) and filed the plans etc.

I did explore the do it yourself route, but I have a pretty demanding job. Just overseeing the project (there are always questions and adjustments), and going out for the tile choice, bathroom fixtures, picking out flooring, and getting all the crap out of the basement consumed all of my free time for two months. I think I'd have to take a leave of absence to really take on the general contracting duties.

Good luck on your project, it's a great feeling when you've got everything in place and it comes out as you pictured it.

Posted by: Your Daddy ()
Date: January 19, 2011 08:28PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> You can move your hot water heater, but it will
> cost you.
>
> Also, if you are going to finish the basement, I
> suggest you add a bathroom or bedroom in the
> process. Just a finished space won't necessarily
> add much to the value of your house. But having an
> additional bedroom or bathroom will (even a 1/2
> bath).

I am appraiser by trade and WashingTone-Locian is correct that if you can add a bedroom and/or bath then do it as it will give you more value for relatively little extra cost. Even if you are just plumbed in for a 1/2 bath you should be able to attach to the drain.

Stick with licensed folks and be your own general contractor (you hire everyone: plumbers, HVAC, etc) but you will be responsible for permits.

Also don't be surprised when the Dept of Tax Administration sends over the red shirt crew (assessors)to ask about your basement as the county doesn't have an auto tie-in between permits and DTA.

Posted by: The Evil Bob Vila ()
Date: January 20, 2011 09:11AM

All basements Eventually Leak!!! You've been Warned, So Don't Be Surprised.

Instead build a huge masonry patio with barbecue and decorative walls and canopy or Outside Room with a big ceiling fan for iced tea on hot summer days.

Basements are so Dark and Depressing. No matter what you do to it. Good Luck!

Posted by: Susan Conrad ()
Date: June 23, 2014 02:02PM

Hi Your post was very helpful. Did your remodeling include a full bathroom net new? How many square feet would you estimate?

Posted by: this old house ()
Date: June 23, 2014 09:57PM

basement fishing is great but be sure to get a license from VA before you do it.
Attachments:
img.jpg

Posted by: wHnbH ()
Date: June 23, 2014 11:12PM

I recommend you DO NOT finish your basement. If you do, FU Trolls will move in and never leave.

Posted by: yjCEG ()
Date: June 24, 2014 06:29PM

really ? well i guess your the authority on other people aren't you ?

say it to my face dick wad.
Attachments:
img.jpg

Posted by: Fd9cG ()
Date: June 24, 2014 06:36PM

yes. instead of finishing the basement get a pool !

Posted by: MFHpE ()
Date: June 24, 2014 06:39PM

IBC has a manual on if you are allowed to finish it (ie, doorways windows garage proximity ventillation etc , and defines codes munis usually copy for livability standards)

though your taxes payed for the books and eurpeans copied it and it's online guess what ? they want you to pay for it.

your welcome !

Posted by: NotBig ()
Date: June 24, 2014 06:44PM

DIY Wrote:
> > ...900 sq ft...
>
> That's a big basement; the water heater (and
> furnace?) will end up in a closet or utility
> room.
>

900 is not large, that's fairly average. My basement is 2100 sq ft and I don't consider it "huge", just spacious.

Posted by: Hector ()
Date: June 24, 2014 07:46PM

Stop by any uhaul rental store and you will find 10-20 eager employees outside nearby who will work for cheap and help you build the basement of your dreams in 1 afternoon.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.