HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
A Good Reason to BOYCOTT Unique Thrift Store
Posted by: Apogee Retail Watch ()
Date: December 18, 2010 03:27PM

Apogee Retail, the company operating Unique Thrift Store, is going over and beyond to make a former employee PERMANENTLY ineligible for unemployment!

And, they FAIL. They claimed a 8am false fire alarm prevented them from being on a call at 3pm. Oh yes, they said they were confused. Oh yes, it seems they forgot the part about registering the day before.

Plenty of thrift stores…Clock Tower, Joseph's Coat, Goodwill, Salvation Army, Second Chance. No need to put even a penny in the pocket of Apogee Retail!

http://apogeeretailwatch.blogspot.com/2010/12/apogee-retail-unique-thrift-store-no_18.html

http://apogeeretailwatch.blogspot.com/2010/12/apogee-retail-unique-thrift-store-no.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Good Reason to BOYCOTT Unique Thrift Store
Posted by: yeah okay this gets ()
Date: December 18, 2010 03:33PM

this
Attachments:
ebertapproval.jpg

Posted by: j ()
Date: December 18, 2010 05:30PM

maybe the employee sucks just as much as your argument for not patronizing them does. is that really all you got?

Posted by: worker33 ()
Date: December 18, 2010 06:36PM

j Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> maybe the employee sucks just as much as your
> argument for not patronizing them does. is that
> really all you got?

Where is this place located? I will go by next week and spend a couple hundred bucks there.

Posted by: curious one ()
Date: December 18, 2010 06:38PM

Gallows Road. between 50 and Lee Highway. Great place. I'm not real clear on what the issue is and why we are being asked to boycott.

Posted by: Denying Unemployment? ()
Date: December 18, 2010 10:04PM

Bad enough to get canned from a minimum wage job but WTF is with Apogee trying to get them denied their unemployment?

I thought the fire alarm excuse was pretty lame.

That place is a firetrap though.

Posted by: kamel ()
Date: December 18, 2010 10:20PM

This place is not a charity. They buy bulk donated items from real charities, then sort and sell them for profit. Check their website. Unique Thrift Store is a for-profit venture.

Posted by: Sad ()
Date: December 18, 2010 10:22PM

Do they give yo a tax donation? If not, beware.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: December 19, 2010 07:43AM

Its near the Great Wall supermarket - which is pretty damned close to what you will see in Shanghai or Chengdu (the ones in asia usually have a lot more small appliances, etc.).

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: December 19, 2010 08:40AM

Sad Wrote:
> Do they give yo a tax donation? If not, beware.

I have never received a tax donation at a thrift store, wtf are you talking about?

Posted by: curious one ()
Date: December 19, 2010 08:49AM

not=for profit thrift shops provide tax donation receipts. As previously mentioned: Salvation Army, Goodwill, Clock Tower, etc. They are sponsored by non for profit organization. Unique is for profit and does not;.

Posted by: Who shops at a thrift store in Fairfax? ()
Date: December 19, 2010 08:50AM

Poor people.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: December 19, 2010 08:54AM

curious one Wrote:
> not=for profit thrift shops provide tax donation
> receipts. As previously mentioned: Salvation
> Army, Goodwill, Clock Tower, etc. They are
> sponsored by non for profit organization. Unique
> is for profit and does not;.

That doesn't say why someone would receive a tax donation at one of these stores. Getting a receipt for a donation is obvious, we know that.

Posted by: Slightly Fatty ()
Date: December 20, 2010 04:31PM

I'm one of those people who loves to shop here...don't know if they have changing rooms but it's never stopped me from changing in the aisles. Sorry to all the customers that have had to witness pale and flabby in the women's dress aisle. This has nothing to do with the post but just wanted to share.

Posted by: Aly ()
Date: February 01, 2011 07:52PM

They do provide tax slips if you let them know you are donating for a charity. Some people don't want a tax slip and just want to get rid of their stuff. The charities do get paid in advance so it is still a good cause. And everyone Ive ever met that was fired (not laid off) deserved it.

Posted by: Shut this thread down ()
Date: February 01, 2011 08:12PM

No one cares.

Posted by: fred sanford ()
Date: February 02, 2011 02:11AM

Seems like the quality of donations ain't what it use to be
and since they don't have purty cahsiers anymore

i find myself going back to more traditional thrifts store that have that mildew smell

Posted by: Bhut Jolokia ()
Date: February 02, 2011 06:21AM

Great wall is insane, live frogs, live turtles, sea turtles, the last dodo...if it has legs and move's i think you can buy it there and eat! The fish selection is out of this world and they have tons of fresh lobster though... I think I might buy a few frogs and see how they turn out, i'm intrigued, but Unique is a ghetto vortex to be avoided at all costs unless you enjoy bed bug infestation

Posted by: apogee retail sucks ()
Date: February 02, 2011 12:56PM

This place is nasty. Boycott them

Posted by: white person ()
Date: February 02, 2011 05:15PM

Who cares if they cant file for unemployment. Its all a bunch of illegal mexican immigrants anyway. They should all just go back to mexico instead of working at low class thrift shops like this.

Posted by: Ali-G ()
Date: February 02, 2011 06:23PM

Maybe because all that counterfeit swag they sell Guci, Cooch, Fenda bags etc... fund terrorism? Ala babi and the forty thieves bitches

Posted by: Sarac2012 ()
Date: June 18, 2012 09:40PM

We were told that we may have to be audited because we donated so much to Unique and they are "for profit".

How can they give tax donation receipts if they are NOT a non-profit business?

The receipts don't even say Unique. They say Vietnam Veterans of America on them.

Posted by: Ito ()
Date: June 18, 2012 09:55PM

I just looked at their web site. The whole idea of this place gives me the heebie jeebies.

One of the tag lines on the front page is:

"Treasure Hunt Experience!"

I'm assuming that they mean you would find a rare piece of clothing that would match your wardrobe. However the picture in my mind is the magic of trying to figure out what kind of stain that is in the crotch.

Posted by: crack in my pocket ()
Date: June 18, 2012 10:15PM

Check your pants before leaving!

Posted by: SalivationArmy ()
Date: June 19, 2012 12:20AM

Sarac2012 Wrote:
> We were told that we may have to be audited
> because we donated so much to Unique and they are
> "for profit".
>
> How can they give tax donation receipts if they
> are NOT a non-profit business?
>
> The receipts don't even say Unique. They say
> Vietnam Veterans of America on them.

Who told you that? IRS?

If so then that's going to be a surprise for the groups that have partnered with them (Vietnam vets, etc.) and you're going to have a whole lot of company.

That's kind of the basis of their business model. They take goods donated on behalf of the various charities and then return some percentage of the profit back to the charity. They represent that contributions are tax deductible to both the charities and to the public.

Technically, I can see how the IRS might claim that since they operate on a for-profit basis that only that portion of the donation that goes back to the charity would be eligible but I'm not sure how anyone individual would know what that would be and again that's not the way that they present it.

Posted by: fred sanford ()
Date: June 19, 2012 04:25AM

I believe the opening of so many new thrift shops in the area has had a negative effect on Unique. I find the selection of items of interest too me is way down. the times I've gone in the last 6 months business seems a lot less than say a couple of years ago.

Posted by: Unemployment Scam ()
Date: June 19, 2012 07:48PM

Glad to hear they're doing to part to keep loser scumbag libs from leeching undeserved unemployment pay. Try getting and doing a job, you dumbfuck lazy turd!

Posted by: Facts ()
Date: June 19, 2012 08:05PM

Is this place still around? (Kind of an old thread.)

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: June 19, 2012 08:15PM

This is a fine place for the cockroaches of Fairfax to reside. Please leave Unique alone. Thank you, the exterminator.

Posted by: justme3232 ()
Date: November 22, 2013 08:22PM

As a former assistant manager for Unique in one of their NJ locations ( no I was not fired, I quit and no I am not an illegal either), I can tell you that they do not"donate" money to the Lupus Foundation or the Veteran's of War. What they do is purchase clothing for pennies per pound from these charities and when you drop off your donations to the store directly, they do not provide these charities with any money. So basically what you are doing is giving away your items for free so that they can jack up the price and the owner can make a ridiculous amount of money.

Posted by: Who Gives A Shit ()
Date: November 22, 2013 10:42PM

Who runs it or where the goods come from ..Its cheap.. that all I need. I adore Unique because it puts ALL the stuff out not picking choosing. let us do that. GREAT THRIFT STORE!

Posted by: yourmom ()
Date: November 22, 2013 11:48PM

I swear to God I hate this fucking place. It's right down the street from my house and it attracts thousands of fucking dirty latinos...like that muther fucker who killed Vanessa Pham. Anyone who would donate their shit to this place is a fucking dumbass. Give me a break...donate to VVA or Purple Heart or something like that directly...don't donate to a shit hole like this that just attracts dirty immigrants for a profit!

Posted by: LM00000AAAAAZ ()
Date: November 23, 2013 12:11AM

HEWRO EVERYBUHDY DIS BE WUN OF DUH WIRST THREEDS I DUN SEEN ON HEAR IN A LONG TYME.

EVRY1 PLS SHUT UP. U NO U MUST SHUT UP. SHUT UP.

SHUT UP EVERY1.. OK THANKING YOU FOR SHUT UP.

WHO CARE ABUT YOUR DUMB STORY. PHUCK U TWIX EATER!@@@@@

Posted by: Facts on File ()
Date: November 23, 2013 11:32AM

The parent company of Unique is Apogee Retail. They have a well documented history of abusing and exploiting their employees, many of whom are disabled.

Apogee is a horrible organization, they should not only be put out of business put also put on trial for exploiting charities.

Check out the files:

www.apogeeretailwatch.blogspot.com

Posted by: roberto the hobo ()
Date: November 24, 2013 04:49PM

Went in last week and the place seems a mere shadow of it's original self. Notice the old Asian guy who had a couple of private booths along the entrance hall had closed down. He'd been there since Unique opened.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.