HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
HOV violator fail today!
Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: July 21, 2010 08:55AM

Wow. Apparently the VSP decided it was time to earn some bucks. There were no less than 10 VSP vehicles just inside the Beltway on I66 this morning around 7:45. They had DOZENS of cars parked on the right shoulder - being written up for HOV violations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2010 09:19AM by ITRADE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOV violator fail today!
Posted by: CheekyMonkey ()
Date: July 21, 2010 09:15AM

It would be a lot better...

a) if they would not announce this to every media outlet in advance.
b) if they did this on a regular basis, not as a publicity stunt.

Date: July 21, 2010 09:17AM

Saw that. Laughed my ass off.

They can't do this everyday on I-66. Traffic backs up like it's a car accident or something. But doing it occasionally is good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: made me late ()
Date: July 21, 2010 09:27AM

All those cops slowed up traffic enough my bus was 10 minutes late getting to the metro station which then made me late to get on the train to catch the other bus at the end to get to work.....great job guys!!!

Date: July 21, 2010 09:28AM

CheekyMonkey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would be a lot better...
>
> a) if they would not announce this to every media
> outlet in advance.
> b) if they did this on a regular basis, not as a
> publicity stunt.

Well, if this was advertised so well in advanced, clearly there were a lot of people who 1) didn't get the message or 2) thought the VSP was bluffing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2010 09:28AM by ITRADE.

Posted by: Snapple ()
Date: July 21, 2010 10:26AM

I got ticketed for this once when I was unaware of the law. I don't think it's reasonable to have a special law that only applies to one road in the country. I was not taught in school to be on the lookout for an "HOV road". Until then, I had assumed as an American with a license, I was entitled to drive on the Interstate highway system.

The majority of the cars that took the exit I did, were in violation. That means if they weren't there, the road would have been almost empty. So basically we have a little club of local commuters who have somehow managed to have an interstate highway, paid for by federal tax dollars, closed off for their own personal use.

Date: July 21, 2010 10:31AM

One of the basic tenets of driving is that you be able to read a sign on the road. If you are unable to read HOV RULE...HOV-2 6:00 am to 9:00 am, then perhaps you really should consider riding the bus - everywhere.

Date: July 21, 2010 10:36AM

My understanding is that the first ticket is $180 and no points off your license, so there is an incentive to try to get away with it (until you are caught the first time). If you can make it a year or so, the cost is minimal when spread out over that time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Date: July 21, 2010 10:37AM

ITRADE Wrote:
> One of the basic tenets of driving is that you be
> able to read a sign on the road. If you are
> unable to read HOV RULE...HOV-2 6:00 am to 9:00
> am, then perhaps you really should consider riding
> the bus - everywhere.

I was in heavy traffic heading out of DC, around the interchanges on either side of the Potomac. Nobody reads every sign, that's a fact. If everybody read every sign when they were in heavy traffic, they would crash. If you put up an official-looking sign that said something ridiculous like "no purple cars allowed" around there, 99% of people would drive past it and not notice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2010 10:38AM by Snapple.

Date: July 21, 2010 10:40AM

Snapple Wrote:
> I was in heavy traffic heading out of DC, around
> the interchanges on either side of the Potomac.
> Nobody reads every sign, that's a fact. If
> everybody read every sign when they were in heavy
> traffic, they would crash. If you put up an
> official-looking sign that said something
> ridiculous like "no purple cars allowed" around
> there, 99% of people would drive past it and not
> notice.

You only have yourself to blame for your stupidity.

And your story is now contradictory. First you claim that the HOV rules creates a little club of commuters which results in an underused road. Then you claim that that traffic was heavy and basically prevented you from reading a sign.

Th cop should have given you an additional ticket for 1) failure to pay full time and attention and 2) driving without a brain.

Date: July 21, 2010 10:48AM

Traffic was heavy in the interchange BEFORE I was on I66. I think it was on the DC side of the Potomac, that traffic was heavy and there were a bunch of turns and exits. On I66 itself the traffic was moderately light and would have been very light if not for the HOV violators, who constituted the majority of the cars that exited at the same ramp as me.

Again, why is it reasonable to close off an interstate highway for a small club of local commuters?

BTW, here's an example of this HOV law confusing out-of-towners: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=12308087

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2010 11:12AM by Snapple.

Posted by: A history lesson ()
Date: July 21, 2010 12:49PM

Snapple Wrote:
> Again, why is it reasonable to close off an
> interstate highway for a small club of local
> commuters?

That's actually the result of the compromise U.S. Secretary of Transportation Coleman reached with the citizens of Arlington in order to get the road built; otherwise I-66 probably wouldn't exist at all.

From Department of Transportation - Secretary's Decision on Interstate Highway 66, Fairfax and Arlington Counties, Virginia Page 25

F. Use Limitations

To make this proposed segment of I-66 more compatible with the community through which it passes, the proposal includes two major limitations on use of the highway. First, heavy trucks (defined as any truck having six or more wheels on two or more axles) are prohibited from use of this section of I-66. Second, during peak traffic hours, traffic in the peak direction would be restricted to high-occupancy vehicles (carpools of four persons or more) and buses, and traffic bound to or from Dulles Airport.

Over the years the HOV requirements have been amended down to two person vehicles, but the spirit of the restriction is still there. Of course, this is all coming to a head again as VDOT is attempting to widen 66 inside the Beltway.

Posted by: Yupper1 ()
Date: July 21, 2010 03:29PM

Based on personal observation, it is legal to drive without a brain in NOVA

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: July 21, 2010 04:33PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
> Saw that. Laughed my ass off.
>
> They can't do this everyday on I-66. Traffic backs
> up like it's a car accident or something. But
> doing it occasionally is good.

If they did it everyday maybe people would get used to seeing HOV violators pulled over and wouldn't rubber-neck at this once-a-year phenomenon. Wishful thinking maybe...

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: July 21, 2010 07:27PM

I still consider the whole I-66 HOV thing to be bullshit.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: July 21, 2010 07:32PM

Snapple Wrote:
> Traffic was heavy in the interchange BEFORE I was
> on I66. I think it was on the DC side of the
> Potomac, that traffic was heavy and there were a
> bunch of turns and exits. On I66 itself the
> traffic was moderately light and would have been
> very light if not for the HOV violators, who
> constituted the majority of the cars that exited
> at the same ramp as me.
>
> Again, why is it reasonable to close off an
> interstate highway for a small club of local
> commuters?
>
> BTW, here's an example of this HOV law confusing
> out-of-towners:
> http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php
> ?p=12308087

I'm not even an out-of-towner, and I didn't know about the I-66 full-lane HOV retardation until a friend was pulled over for it. When I always saw Troopers pulling people over en masse, I always assumed they had just set-up speed traps. That, combined with decades of Pentagon commuting by family members, and I never heard of the law until a year or two ago.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Gotta Way ()
Date: July 21, 2010 10:13PM

About a year ago I entered I66 west from route 29. Just before going over the bridge and around the curve I saw the cop in th median on the left. He saw me. Our eyes locked. I did an immediate Oh Shit as I looked at the clock and saw it was 3:35. So I pulled quickly to the right shoulder to start thinking about my excuse. Just as quickly the cop pulled out in the left lane but ended up being blocked by another car and passed right by me, again looking right in my eyes. So there I was, stuck, too far along to back up and thinking he was just around the bend waiting for me. All the cars that passed me had multiple people in them. I sat there for over five minutes and decided to go for it. Went around the bend and nothing there. About half a mile up I66 there he was, having pulled someone else over. I counted my blessings, took the next exit, which seemed forever away, and drove the local streets all the way home.

Not sure if there is a moral. Sometimes I'm just lucky.

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: July 22, 2010 08:23AM

CheekyMonkey Wrote:
> It would be a lot better...
>
> a) if they would not announce this to every media
> outlet in advance.
> b) if they did this on a regular basis, not as a
> publicity stunt.

QFE - it would be nice to be able to drive 66 HOV without having 50 violators trying to do 90 to get off before they get nailed more often.

And they should take the fines and widen the road inside the Beltway, too.

Posted by: Howie Feltersnatch ()
Date: July 22, 2010 12:48PM

Couple of weeks ago I (alone in the car) exited the I-95 HOV and drove past the VSP cops who were just setting up shop on the off-ramp. Looked at my watch, synced to atomic clock time, and saw 3:29:55 pm. Damn, that was a good feeling. From the way they were walking out into the middle of the offramp, as viewed in my rearview mirror, I don't think the guy behind me was going to be feeling so glad.

Posted by: Rambunctious ()
Date: July 23, 2010 12:24AM

We counted 19 police vehicles between Centreville and Ballston. The worst impact to traffic were the gaggle of cops just inside the Beltway - 2 of them standing in the middle of 66 looking into vehicles and pointing them over. Traffic picked up quickly after passing these pricks, I'm willing to bet those actions alone were responsible for adding ~15-20 minutes to the commute.

fwiw Counted 12 more police vehicles on the way home that afternoon.

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: July 23, 2010 10:40AM

Rambunctious Wrote:
I'm willing
> to bet those actions alone were responsible for
> adding ~15-20 minutes to the commute.
>

Yeah it sucks, but if they didn't do it every so often, your commute would be 15-20 minutes longer EVERY day from all the HOV violators clogging up the road.

Posted by: Kardinal ()
Date: July 23, 2010 01:12PM

snowdenscold Wrote:
> Rambunctious Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> I'm willing
> > to bet those actions alone were responsible for
> > adding ~15-20 minutes to the commute.
> >
>
> Yeah it sucks, but if they didn't do it every so
> often, your commute would be 15-20 minutes longer
> EVERY day from all the HOV violators clogging up
> the road.

Yup.

Posted by: you are a dumbass ()
Date: July 23, 2010 01:59PM

Snapple Wrote:
> I got ticketed for this once when I was unaware of
> the law. I don't think it's reasonable to have a
> special law that only applies to one road in the
> country. I was not taught in school to be on the
> lookout for an "HOV road". Until then, I had
> assumed as an American with a license, I was
> entitled to drive on the Interstate highway
> system.
>

Ever heard of reading a fucking road sign? it's idiots like you that fuck up dc traffic worse than it already is

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: July 23, 2010 03:06PM

Yupper1 Wrote:
> Based on personal observation, it is legal to
> drive without a brain in NOVA

Yes, this appears to be the case. And I never understood why VA does not offer special license plates for the large amount of blind drivers on the road here.

Posted by: cops:( ()
Date: July 24, 2010 12:41PM

At the Falls Church/Tysons Corner exit from East Bound 66, there is always at least four cops on the ramp with at least eight people pulled over. I saw it everyday at 420-430 on my way home. They do it regularly so watch out :)!

Posted by: Know the Law ()
Date: July 24, 2010 12:48PM

Snapple, Driving is a priviledge, not a right.

Posted by: Powerful_Crab ()
Date: July 24, 2010 01:16PM

The central concept for HOV lanes is to move more people rather than more cars. Some HOV lanes carry almost half of the people carried on the entire freeway. Regular "mixed-flow" lanes are never converted to HOV lanes. Rather, HOV lanes are always added to existing facilities. Each vehicle that travels on an HOV lane must carry the minimum number of people posted at the entrance signs. Usually that means at least two people, or in some cases three people. Each child counts as an occupant but pets do not. Violators are subject to a fine. Motorcycles, even those carrying just one person, are allowed to use the HOV lanes. Some HOV lanes are in operation only during certain hours, which are posted. Outside of those hours, they may be used by all vehicles.

Do HOV Lanes Really Work?

When traffic is congested, HOV lanes can carry more people than a general-purpose lane of traffic. HOV lanes are designed to maximize the movement of people. Even when HOV lanes look less congested than general-purpose lanes, they often carry more people.

There's a reason why there's bike roads, walking trails, HOV Lanes, Emergency Snow Routes, etc.... follow the law and you won't have a problem. If you see someone else committing the crime, that doesn't mean you should too. You can wait that extra 10 minutes instead of getting a ticket along with a hefty fine depending on what level of the offense is.

Stop crying about it and learn to live with the rules. Stupid people get stupid results. Blame the stupidity on yourself.

There are ways you can ride the HOV lanes without getting caught or avoiding them in general.

1. Carpool
2. Train
3. Bus
4. Buy a hybrid car
5. Buy a motorcycle
6. Walk
7. Ride a bicycle
8. Move closer to work
9. Taxi
10. quit your job
11. If all the above sound stupid, than OBEY THE FUCKING LAW.

Posted by: tard ()
Date: July 24, 2010 01:19PM

Know the Law Wrote:
> Snapple, Driving is a priviledge, not a right.

Yes, you've been well-indoctrinated. But that doesn't square with the 9th Amm.

> The central concept for HOV lanes is to move more people rather than more cars.

Bullshit. The concept for HOV lanes is too punish Americans for driving their cars. That's why it's popular with greentards.

Date: July 24, 2010 01:28PM

tard Wrote:
> Know the Law Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Snapple, Driving is a priviledge, not a right.
>
> Yes, you've been well-indoctrinated. But that
> doesn't square with the 9th Amm.
>
> > The central concept for HOV lanes is to move
> more people rather than more cars.
>
> Bullshit. The concept for HOV lanes is too punish
> Americans for driving their cars. That's why it's
> popular with greentards.

I didn't know the 9th Amendment guaranteed the right to a drivers license. So what was the driver's test for?

Posted by: frustrated driver ()
Date: July 26, 2010 11:02AM

Wow! Reading some of the comments here makes my blood boil. Some people think it is unfair to have even an HOV lane at all! And most of the days, HOV lane is occupied by more than half violators. It's so bad sometimes that HOV lane is backed up more many a times. And some "smart" people jump the HOV lane right at the beltway exit on the left. This has happened to me quite often and in a couple of instances, a serious car accident was imminent if not for my alertness.

How stupid of me to find an office mate who stays nearby and take pains every morning to sync up our times and actually carpool. Really, I must be robbing my fellow Americans to drive wherever and however they want. I have driven in California, Dallas, Chicago, and Atlanta, and nowhere in the country I have seen the HOV lane getting abused as much as NOVA. I would like the camps seriously camp on the shoulder and start pulling the violators EVERY MORNING. I am willing to get delayed in traffic if it means violators get punished.

Hey, the state of Virginia can easily fill its budget shortfalls by pulling each and every violator on I66.

Date: July 26, 2010 11:30AM

I wonder how much money they made that day. It must have been a lot given the fine amounts - even for first time violators.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 26, 2010 07:45PM

1000 dollar fine for the fourth violation. Now theres a great way to make money...for the state literacy fund. Too bad speeding ticket revenues dont go to road construction, not that fairfax can figure out how to keep the money anyways

And you know how many retards will rack up 4 HOV tickets, not learning the first 3 times

Posted by: No HOV, No Way ()
Date: November 02, 2010 01:25PM

> I still consider the whole I-66 HOV thing to be bullshit.

It is indeed.

HOV was originally set up as HOV-3 because real scientific studies showed that HOV-3 was more fuel-efficient than lesser occupancy. Unfortunately, the actual incidence of HOV-3 was minimal due to the difficulty of finding TWO other passengers for each ride and the obvious many conflicts with during-the-day scheduling changes ("Gotta go to dentist at 14:00").

So the politicos made it HOV-2 everywhere.

Unfortunately again, HOV-2 not only is not more efficient than single occupancy, it may actually be LESS efficient due to the need for drivers to divert to the second passenger's pickup/dropoff location. And, of course, the non-use of expensive road systems has its own cost.

But politics - strange historically-based totally-irrelevant-exept-for-image-reasons politics - has kept HOV-2 in place.

Posted by: aaa ()
Date: November 02, 2010 01:33PM

Cripes, I had never heard of a HOV and it's never been on any of my drivers' tests (in other states, including IL). I wasn't aware of it until I had a doctor's appointment inside the beltway many years ago (I lived in Loudoun at the time). This was before GPS so I would have been SOL if I tried to divert to surface streets. I saw the signs, thought "WTF?", and drove on my way as I pretty much had no choice. Luckily, I wasn't pulled over.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: November 04, 2010 08:49PM

Arlington PD must get half their revenue off this and VSP a good deal. Arlington is on the on ramps in the morning nearly every day normally a couple VSP cars as well.

I see the special fuel exemption will expire Jan 1 it seems they extend it every year??

Posted by: DirtMcGirt ()
Date: November 05, 2010 04:48PM

made me late Wrote:
> All those cops slowed up traffic enough my bus was
> 10 minutes late getting to the metro station which
> then made me late to get on the train to catch the
> other bus at the end to get to work.....great job
> guys!!!

OMFG!!!!

Posted by: danny ()
Date: December 26, 2010 11:52PM

can u drive in the HOV lane if ur pregnant?.

Posted by: ProVallone ()
Date: December 27, 2010 08:01AM

danny Wrote:
> can u drive in the HOV lane if ur pregnant?.

Depends on who you ask.
A pro choice cop, not considering a fetus a human, therefore not a passenger, would give you a ticket.

A pro life cop would believe that there IS a person there in the belly , thus a passenger, and you'd be sent on your way with an apology.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2010 08:01AM by ProVallone.

Posted by: John in Chantilly ()
Date: December 27, 2010 06:04PM

danny Wrote:
> can u drive in the HOV lane if ur pregnant?.

No. You will get a ticket. On the other end of that, if you are driving a hearse with a stiff, your subject to a ticket as well.

Posted by: DCDude ()
Date: November 08, 2011 02:50PM

Beware! Even though VA does NOT charge any points for the first HOV offense if you have a DC drivers licence they will give you 2 points! I just saw my driving record today and was assessed 2 points. Nobody will do anything about it. It may be worth fighting if you live in DC and have a DC driving record.

Posted by: NOVA Driver ()
Date: November 08, 2011 03:07PM

My child is in a rear facing seat. I can't tell you how many times my wife, my child and I have been stopped by VSP on the way to his daycare prior to work in the mornings because they only see me and wife at first. They quickly wave us on once we've stopped and they've confirmed there's a child in the seat back there but, what a pain in the ass!

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Posted by: Persecution! ()
Date: November 08, 2011 03:44PM

NOVA Driver Wrote:
> My child is in a rear facing seat. I can't tell
> you how many times my wife, my child and I have
> been stopped by VSP on the way to his daycare
> prior to work in the mornings because they only
> see me and wife at first. They quickly wave us on
> once we've stopped and they've confirmed there's a
> child in the seat back there but, what a pain in
> the ass!
>
> Anyone else have similar experiences?

Boy, minor inconveniences like that really chafe my ass. Thankfully I never have to worry about that in the peasant lanes. Instead I just creep along at 4mph and count the number of cars I see in the HOV lanes. I'll generally make it to the second hand after about an hour...

Posted by: August West ()
Date: November 08, 2011 03:52PM

NOVA driver, it's HOV-2, as is two, so a cop seeing you and your wife in the front of your minivan with the stick figures on the rear window would have no reason to pull you over while driving Madison/Dylan to daycare.

Posted by: Ignignokt ()
Date: November 08, 2011 04:12PM

August West Wrote:
> NOVA driver, it's HOV-2, as is two, so a cop
> seeing you and your wife in the front of your
> minivan with the stick figures on the rear window
> would have no reason to pull you over while
> driving Madison/Dylan to daycare.

When did the 95/395 HOV lanes become HOV2?

The rest of your post is spot on though.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.