HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
what's the most snow this area has ever gotten? (in terms of total depth in one or multiple storms)
Posted by: GuntherWA ()
Date: June 06, 2007 04:59PM

what's the most snow this area has ever gotten? (in terms of total depth in one or multiple storms)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what's the most snow this area has ever gotten? (in terms of total depth in one or multiple storms)
Posted by: Stormy ()
Date: June 06, 2007 05:57PM

The Knickerbocker Storm of Jan 27-29, 1922. 28 inches total. It's called the Knickerbocker Storm because the snow collapsed the roof on the Knickerbocker Theatre downtown, killing 98 people who were watching a movie inside.

Re: what's the most snow this area has ever gotten? (in terms of total depth in one or multiple storms)
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 07, 2007 01:08AM

That is a cool factoid. What is it about DC theaters and deaths?

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 07, 2007 10:33PM

hows about the blizzard of 96.

Posted by: Stevie5011 ()
Date: November 21, 2007 03:45PM

I can tell you that in 1980 in Falls Church, we got 36 inches in a snowstorm that began around 6:30 pm the Sunday before President's Day and lasted well into the night. When I woke up the next day, I couldn't see any cars, only the mold of the vehicle shape made by the snow. The Federal Government (Non-essential workers) was shut down Monday thru Thursday that week. I lived on Brook Drive in Falls Church at the time.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: November 21, 2007 08:05PM

Stevie5011 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can tell you that in 1980 in Falls Church, we
> got 36 inches in a snowstorm that began around
> 6:30 pm the Sunday before President's Day and
> lasted well into the night. When I woke up the
> next day, I couldn't see any cars, only the mold
> of the vehicle shape made by the snow. The Federal
> Government (Non-essential workers) was shut down
> Monday thru Thursday that week. I lived on Brook
> Drive in Falls Church at the time.

That storm was Feb 19-20, 1979, and it was a beaut.

The worst storm in my memory was Saturday, January 29, 1966. It was a true blizzard....24" of snow followed by winds up to 50 mph created drifts 10' high. I remember opening the front door of the house and there was snow from the sill to the top of the door frame (7 feet!). Fairfax schools were closed for almost two weeks.

Posted by: manticore ()
Date: November 23, 2007 08:55PM

i think i recall being out of school for about 2 weeks back in 1986, it snowed in april that year too. got stuck at a frinds house in '96; dug my car out and drove home, that wasn't shit - at least not in burke.

course, i have yet to see anything in northern virginia that i could call a 'blizzard' with a straight face. sometimes we get snowed into our houses for a WHOLE FEW DAYS.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.