HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
TJSST "We Came For The Sports" bumper sticker
Posted by: TrickiL ()
Date: June 02, 2007 09:54AM

I remember when the parents and kids at Thomas Jefferson first got this sticker. It was supposed to be a joke because they were so bad at sports being geeks and all. Now they are winning all kinds of championships. IE. soccer, tennis. Who would have guessed???

Trickie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TJSST "We Came For The Sports" bumper sticker
Posted by: duh ()
Date: June 02, 2007 10:35AM

Well, I think nowadays...TJ is getting more like a university in it's admissions practices. They have thousands of applicants every year, and not just County residents either...but from all over NOVA (Loudoun, PWC, Arlington, Alex City...).

They very well might be considering an applicant's athletic achievements...along with grades, etc. in the admissions process.

It's really pretty unfair...how many other high schools can pick and choose their student body from the entire region?

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 02, 2007 12:28PM

it's disconcerting to hear that they are lowering the academic bar for the athletically inclined. power, money, corruption. it was good while it lasted.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: American History X ()
Date: June 02, 2007 02:52PM

Apparantly they are lowering their academic standards for minorities as well to increase diversity. Some call this "Affirmative Blaction".

Date: June 02, 2007 03:11PM

American History X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apparantly they are lowering their academic
> standards for minorities as well to increase
> diversity. Some call this "Affirmative Blaction".

Well, if they want to field a competitive football team....that ain't happenin' with a rosterful of Asian kids. Gotta have some bruthas!

Date: June 02, 2007 08:17PM

lowering standards for minorities is insulting on all sides. "increasing diversity" is bullshit. why dont they just say, "other races are stupid, we have to let some in." so much for a "colorblind" society.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: cw ()
Date: June 02, 2007 08:26PM

It really makes no sense. You put together a school to get the brightest kids then water it down by trying to get an equal number of minorities. Even though they dont measure up to the standards that caused the school to be invented in the first place.

Posted by: lawlerskates ()
Date: June 04, 2007 01:22AM

I'll make this quick, because I'm even more sleep deprived than usual. In order:

That's TJHSST kthx. Not TJSST.

Students who are highly motivated to do well academically are oftentimes able to motivate themselves to succeed in other parts of life as well, eg sports.

It's not unfair in the least. TJ's selectivity is the only way the school can continue serve its purpose as a math and science focus school. Jefferson is not simply a place for "smart kids;" prospective English or Journalism majors would be better served going somewhere else. Nonetheless, many liberal arts students find themselves applying to TJ each year in order to take advantage of the safe, welcoming environment that TJ offers as compared to most base schools, resulting in what some might call a brain drain. However, this is indicative of a problem of the base schools' that needs to get fixed, not of TJ's.

What? The bar hasn't been lowered for the athletically inclined at all. Further proof: our football team sucks again, since Matt Wong left.

Yeah, the new process "places a higher emphasis on teacher recommendations." Total BS, just make the damn thing based entirely on test scores and have teachers check the block saying "my student is not a murderering psychopath."

I beg to disagree. See "Matt Wong" two paragraphs up.

I'd be fine with the whole process if they just removed the check block for "race" on the entrance exam, but no, we've got to have "diversity," according to the modern democrats who run FCPS. Having a diverse student population is not the point of TJ. Admitting students who have a strong interest in math and science is.

Yeah, see the previous rant.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 04, 2007 01:57AM

Sports and grades have no correlation to having lots of sex, the true goal of every high school student. All you need to refer to is pregnant girls per school... obviously the dc schools are far better at helping students achieve their goals than jefferson.

Posted by: moota le boota ()
Date: June 04, 2007 05:46AM

I heard there are asians at TJSST. Is this true?????

Posted by: Steve ()
Date: June 04, 2007 08:28AM

I imagine they have a good number of Asian students. However, Asian people don't count as a minority in regards to Affirmative Action. Go figure.

Posted by: NOVA ()
Date: June 04, 2007 08:56AM

THOMAS JEFFERSON IS FULL OF GEEKS.

Posted by: cw ()
Date: June 04, 2007 09:47AM

It just defeats the purpose to take all the smart kids from local schools and then in the name of political correctness water it down by saying you have to include at least certain numbers of minorities.

Why even bother, just leave the smart kids at their local schools in their own small classes and disband the magnet school. Obviously the magnet school worked exactly as planned but the liberal democrats couldnt stand it so they offered their thoughts in the name of diversity and of course the predictable outcome is the lowering of standards.

Small wonder we fall behind other countries in the world when it comes to education. Speaking for myself I graduated years ago but I am well aware I could not have measured up to the standards of the magnet school and I accept that. I would never think they should slow down the learning process for the smart kids just to let me feel good about myself.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 04, 2007 05:22PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> Sports and grades have no correlation to having
> lots of sex, the true goal of every high school
> student.

So its not getting shit-faced drunk to 'impress' your firends?

Date: June 04, 2007 07:16PM

The hell of it is TJ always had a shitty football team....going back to the 60's....way before it became a magnet school.

Posted by: S. ()
Date: June 10, 2007 07:29PM

Asians don't get any boost from affirmative action. They're a "model minority" and all that good stuff. So yeah.

Some of the more paranoid Asians I know claim that they take more hits from affirmative action than the Caucasians do, because... well, because they're not white. :P

Posted by: ECON202 ()
Date: June 10, 2007 11:12PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> lots of sex, the true goal of every high school
> student. All you need to refer to is pregnant
> girls per school... obviously the dc schools are
> far better at helping students achieve their goals
> than jefferson.

fucking great

Date: June 11, 2007 01:04AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> lots of sex

wrong. i would argue that both increase your chances of having lots of sex. it's a genetic imperative for females to seek males that are most fit. athletic ability is a clear when demonstrated, eg: playing sports. grades reflect that the male will succeed in the world and be an able provider. now... these traits may or may not be true but both are examples of such traits. to review:

a) ive taken your post way too seriously
b) LOL
c) end of list

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.