HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Photography in Fairfax?
Posted by: Shiruguy ()
Date: May 06, 2007 12:51PM

I am new to the area and am into photography. Im looking for cool public places that i can go shooting. Where i used to live there was an old abandoned amusement park, which was one of my favorite places to go. Im looking for something unique, public, and ideally free. Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Photography in Fairfax?
Posted by: Cary ()
Date: May 06, 2007 08:44PM

This thread was originally posted in "Western Fairfax General" but I've moved it to the general forum so everybody can enjoy it.

Posted by: cw ()
Date: May 06, 2007 08:51PM

you cant beat the monuments in DC at night. also in western fairfax you are close to the manassas battlefield.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: May 06, 2007 09:04PM

I took my new camera out to Great Falls last summer and took alot of really cool pics. You have to pay on the VA side, but the MD side is free, and pretty close by, and I think the scenery is better from that side. Alot of good nature photography to be found along that part of the Potomac, if that's your thing.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: May 07, 2007 06:04PM

Shiruguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am new to the area and am into photography. Im
> looking for cool public places that i can go
> shooting.

it may not be in fairfax county but Virginia Tech seems to be a good place for shooting.

"ZOMG I KILL U!!!! MY FRIEND DIED @ VT U BASTARD!!!!!!!!" <-- ok.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Tomahawk ()
Date: May 11, 2007 08:30PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I took my new camera out to Great Falls last
> summer and took alot of really cool pics. You
> have to pay on the VA side, but the MD side is
> free, and pretty close by, and I think the scenery
> is better from that side. Alot of good nature
> photography to be found along that part of the
> Potomac, if that's your thing.

Actually, you have to pay on both sides, as it's a Natl. Park. If you walk in along a trail you avoid paying, though. Great Falls is a great place to shoot photos. The Virginia side doesn't have any stupid fances to keep you from climbing out on the rocks to get good shots, but, like the sign says, if you fall in the water you WILL die, so take care.

I once got harrassed by a cop up in PA for taking pictures in public near a train station. I don't know what his problem was, but I've been nervous ever since. DC has some stupid rules about using tripods in public areas, etc., so just beware.

But I haven't had any run-ins with cops around FFX CO. Not yet, anyway.

Date: May 12, 2007 01:08AM

Actually, you have to pay on both sides, as it's a Natl. Park

Helpful note: You won't have to pay if you park in the lots at Carderock or the ones near the Old Anglers Inn. Both locations offer immediate access to the trailheads for the B and C loops of the Billy Goat Trail, and it's only about a nice leisurely mile up the towpath to get to the A loop.

Posted by: Shiruguy ()
Date: May 17, 2007 09:45PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I will check out great falls and the battlefield park. I've done the monuments too, those are great at night! Any other ideas?

Date: May 17, 2007 11:02PM

Any other ideas?

It's sort of a drive, but you can find some nice out-of-the-way places in southern MD, about 75 minutes south of Waldorf. I go down there every year to do some hiking and usually take my camera. It's very rustic down there, alot small towns along the bay and the Potomac estuary. Places like Point Lookout, Piney Point, and Calvert Cliffs are great for outdoor photography, and you can get good pics in some of the quaint towns like Solomons Island and St. Marys City. I've traveled in 46 of the 50 states, but that little strip of land between the Chesapeake and the Potomac known as southern MD still intrigues me, I think it's beautiful down that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2007 11:08PM by TheMeeper.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: May 17, 2007 11:42PM

How about the new The Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center near Washington Dulles International Airport. It is the companion facility to the Museum on the National Mall. http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/udvarhazy/

It will cost you $12 to park, you can not take a tripod into the museum but camera's are fine.

Also the Air Show at Andrews AFB this weekend. Park at Fed Ex field - http://www.events.airforce.com/details.htm?event_id=2869

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2007 11:50PM by Lurker..

Date: May 17, 2007 11:57PM

The Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center near Washington Dulles International Airport

I'll second that recommendation. That place is impressive. It's gigantic, the first time I went there I was totally taken by surprise that they actually had the real Enola Gay parked in there. A real space shuttle too.

Posted by: manbearpig ()
Date: February 19, 2008 08:19PM

try some old abandoned farms - yes they're an acquired taste, but i think theyre interesting, sorta like a look into the past..

this here is Horsepen Farm, which used to be huge, but most of its land was eaten up by the airport. Horse stables were replaced with runway lights. and tarmac.

that house is gone now
Attachments:
Farm.jpg
Horsepen House from far.JPG

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: February 20, 2008 10:14AM

And when you get tired of shooting boring buildings and landscapes, find some hot chicks and actually learn about proper lighting, shadows and manual operation of your camera if you don't already know all this.

There's no shortage of people and small bugs in this area who would love to have their picture taken.

Posted by: K3cKK ()
Date: February 20, 2008 10:34AM

This is area is boooring for photography.

Posted by: yobikata ()
Date: April 08, 2009 11:58PM

Posted by: tinfoilhat ()
Date: April 10, 2009 10:59AM

Shiruguy did you take the pics on the abandoned but not forgotten site? amazing pics and cool commentary! well done. there are a couple of small abandoned houese around great falls, one is one the pike from great falls to vienna i think? send me the link when you do your pics are cool!

reccon@live.com

Posted by: Bounce House ()
Date: April 10, 2009 11:02AM

Yobikata

Your links above are boring for photography.

Date: April 10, 2009 11:04AM

Bounce house you must be blind or have a really crap monitor those o\pics are very cool, very moody.

Posted by: Bounce House ()
Date: April 10, 2009 12:17PM

I do like the first one a lot. So, sorry Yobikata: FFXU brings out the worst in people. The others look more like snapshots lacking in good lighting, composition, and/or evocativeness, IMHO. Power lines are just not interesting.

Date: April 10, 2009 12:35PM

Im sorry too Bounce House

Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: April 13, 2009 08:43PM

Fairfax Courthouse and Fairfax Cemetery

Potomac River near Thompson"s

Potomac River opposite Fletcher's

Potomac River near Fletcher's

GMU near Johnson Center at 6 a.m.,12 noon, and 5 p.m. (very different scenery at each hour)

Burke Lake and Lake Accotink

the remnants of Lorton Reformatory/Prison

Occoquan/Occoquan River

Purcellville

W & O D Trail

Posted by: slightlystoopid09 ()
Date: April 14, 2009 04:22PM

I dont know if anyone has said it, bacuse I didnt read all of the responses. But Clifton is a great place to shoot. Like, the old town. Especially the Bunnyman Bridge. Ive done quite a few shoots there myself.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.