HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
VIbrators illegial in VA? WTF??
Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: May 05, 2010 04:09PM

So I saw a tv ad for a trojan vibrators for women and was thinking of getting it to surprise a lady friend of mine.

Then I noticed this on the website.

Vibrating Touch® is only available in the United States except for AL, GA, TX, MS, LA, KS and VA.

https://www.vibratingtouch.com/

Seriously, WTF?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: VIbrators illegial in VA? WTF??
Posted by: eesh ()
Date: May 05, 2010 04:15PM

That's strange considering it pales in comparison to what you find at Night Dreams off rt. 7.

Date: May 05, 2010 04:17PM

Eureka!

I think Virginia laws are that you can sell sex toys in adult stores but not in mainstream stores like a drugstore or grocery store.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2010 04:17PM by eesh.

Posted by: hoocoodanode ()
Date: May 05, 2010 04:40PM

Adam & Eve has plenty of vibrators to go around, and they'll ship to VA.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: May 05, 2010 07:37PM

eesh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's strange considering it pales in comparison
> to what you find at Night Dreams off rt. 7.

Is that the one in Tysons?

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: May 05, 2010 07:41PM

eesh Wrote:
> Eureka!
>
> I think Virginia laws are that you can sell sex
> toys in adult stores but not in mainstream stores
> like a drugstore or grocery store.

that sounds about right.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: May 05, 2010 08:37PM

ThePackLeader Wrote:
> eesh Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That's strange considering it pales in
> comparison
> > to what you find at Night Dreams off rt. 7.
>
>
> Is that the one in Tysons?

Yes, in front of Gold's Gym.

Posted by: Gmoney ()
Date: May 05, 2010 10:00PM

Owning a vibrator is not illigal. Using it is. But it's kind of one of those old school laws that aren't enforced unless it's involentary. No politician has the balls to step up and update the law. It's actually technically illegal to use a finger as well. Not a sermon...,just a thought.

� 18.2-67.2. Object sexual penetration; penalty.

A. An accused shall be guilty of inanimate or animate object sexual penetration if he or she penetrates the labia majora or anus of a complaining witness, whether or not his or her spouse, other than for a bona fide medical purpose, or causes such complaining witness to so penetrate his or her own body with an object or causes a complaining witness, whether or not his or her spouse, to engage in such acts with any other person or to penetrate, or to be penetrated by, an animal, and

1. The complaining witness is less than 13 years of age, or

2. The act is accomplished against the will of the complaining witness, by force, threat or intimidation of or against the complaining witness or another person, or through the use of the complaining witness's mental incapacity or physical helplessness.

B. Inanimate or animate object sexual penetration is a felony punishable by confinement in the state correctional facility for life or for any term not less than five years. The penalty for a violation of subdivision A 1 where the offender is more than three years older than the victim, if done in the commission of, or as part of the same course of conduct as, or as part of a common scheme or plan as a violation of (i) subsection A of � 18.2-47 or 18.2-48, (ii) � 18.2-89, 18.2-90 or 18.2-91, or (iii) � 18.2-51.2, shall include a mandatory minimum term of confinement of 25 years. If the term of confinement imposed for any violation of subdivision A 1, where the offender is more than three years older than the victim, is for a term less than life imprisonment, the judge shall impose, in addition to any active sentence, a suspended sentence of no less than 40 years. This suspended sentence shall be suspended for the remainder of the defendant's life, subject to revocation by the court.

In any case deemed appropriate by the court, all or part of any sentence imposed for a violation under this section against a spouse may be suspended upon the defendant's completion of counseling or therapy, if not already provided, in the manner prescribed under � 19.2-218.1 if, after consideration of the views of the complaining witness and such other evidence as may be relevant, the court finds such action will promote maintenance of the family unit and will be in the best interest of the complaining witness.

C. Upon a finding of guilt under this section, when a spouse is the complaining witness in any case tried by the court without a jury, the court, without entering a judgment of guilt, upon motion of the defendant who has not previously had a proceeding against him for violation of this section dismissed pursuant to this subsection and with the consent of the complaining witness and the attorney for the Commonwealth, may defer further proceedings and place the defendant on probation pending completion of counseling or therapy, if not already provided, in the manner prescribed under � 19.2-218.1. If the defendant fails to so complete such counseling or therapy, the court may make final disposition of the case and proceed as otherwise provided. If such counseling is completed as prescribed under � 19.2-218.1, the court may discharge the defendant and dismiss the proceedings against him if, after consideration of the views of the complaining witness and such other evidence as may be relevant, the court finds such action will promote maintenance of the family unit and be in the best interest of the complaining witness.

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: May 05, 2010 10:05PM

In Virginia you actually have to use your dick.

Helps keep you in fighting trim. Don't complain, it's good for you, gives you green cheeks.

Posted by: mle ()
Date: May 05, 2010 10:44PM

...I'm FUCKED!

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: May 06, 2010 12:48AM

mle Wrote:
> ...I'm FUCKED!

Are you hot and a woman? I can help you the legal way.

Posted by: poetisa16 ()
Date: May 28, 2012 09:27AM

Gmoney Wrote:
>
> � 18.2-67.2. Object sexual penetration;
> penalty.
>
> A. An accused shall be guilty of inanimate or
> animate object sexual penetration if he or she
> penetrates the labia majora or anus of a
> complaining witness, whether or not his or her
> spouse, other than for a bona fide medical
> purpose, or causes such complaining witness to so
> penetrate his or her own body with an object or
> causes a complaining witness, whether or not his
> or her spouse, to engage in such acts with any
> other person or to penetrate, or to be penetrated
> by, an animal, and
>
> 1. The complaining witness is less than 13 years
> of age, or
>
> 2. The act is accomplished against the will of the
> complaining witness, by force, threat or
> intimidation of or against the complaining witness
> or another person, or through the use of the
> complaining witness's mental incapacity or
> physical helplessness.

Maybe there's another law in the books, but I read this one twice and it doesn't look like you can't use a vibrator on yourself. It seems to be a law against nonconsensual sodomy, with a statutory provision for minors under 13.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: May 28, 2012 12:16PM

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-373

§ 18.2-373. Obscene items enumerated.

Obscene items shall include:

(1) Any obscene book;

(2) Any obscene leaflet, pamphlet, magazine, booklet, picture, painting, bumper sticker, drawing, photograph, film, negative, slide, motion picture, videotape recording;

(3) Any obscene figure, object, article, instrument, novelty device, or recording or transcription used or intended to be used in disseminating any obscene song, ballad, words, or sounds; or

(4) Any obscene writing, picture or similar visual representation, or sound recording, stored in an electronic or other medium retrievable in a perceivable form.

§ 18.2-374. Production, publication, sale, possession, etc., of obscene items.

It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to:

(1) Prepare any obscene item for the purposes of sale or distribution; or

(2) Print, copy, manufacture, produce, or reproduce any obscene item for purposes of sale or distribution; or

(3) Publish, sell, rent, lend, transport in intrastate commerce, or distribute or exhibit any obscene item, or offer to do any of these things; or

(4) Have in his possession with intent to sell , rent, lend, transport, or distribute any obscene item. Possession in public or in a public place of any obscene item as defined in this article shall be deemed prima facie evidence of a violation of this section.

For the purposes of this section, "distribute" shall mean delivery in person, by mail, messenger or by any other means by which obscene items as defined in this article may pass from one person, firm or corporation to another.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-228; 1960, c. 233; 1962, c. 289; 1970, c. 204; 1975, cc. 14, 15.)

Posted by: Atom ()
Date: May 28, 2012 12:25PM

Finally some irony here. You can't use a vibrator in Va to get a girl off, but every woman is penetrated by a plastic object as punishment for wanting an abortion.

Date: May 28, 2012 12:38PM

Atom Wrote:
> Finally some irony here. You can't use a vibrator
> in Va to get a girl off, but every woman is
> penetrated by a plastic object as punishment for
> wanting an abortion.

The VA law requires only an abdominal ultrasound. At one point it required the trans-vaginal one but the signed version does not.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/01/news/la-pn-va-law-requiring-ultrasound-before-abortion-heads-to-gov-mcdonnell-20120301

Posted by: Olde Farte, II ()
Date: May 28, 2012 01:23PM

If you call the vibrator a massager, it's perfectly legal to sell anywhere - very mainstream.

[I have no knowledge whatsoever of any restrictions on vibrator sales. The law(s) cited above don''t cover those, as far as I can see]

Posted by: actually read it next time ()
Date: May 28, 2012 09:35PM

trogdor! Wrote:

> (3) Any obscene figure, object, article,
> instrument, novelty device, or recording or
> transcription used or intended to be used in
> disseminating any obscene song, ballad, words, or
> sounds; or

Read the whole sentence, it helps a lot with understanding.

Can you tell me what songs ballads or words or sounds vibrators are disseminating that makes this even remotely applicable in any way shape or form?

Posted by: Ten Toes in the Grave ()
Date: May 28, 2012 11:00PM

Do a search on "female hysteria." An excerpt from Wikipedia:

A physician in 1859 claimed that a quarter of all women suffered from hysteria. One physician cataloged 75 pages of possible symptoms of hysteria and called the list incomplete; almost any ailment could fit the diagnosis. Physicians thought that the stresses associated with modern life caused civilized women to be both more susceptible to nervous disorders and to develop faulty reproductive tracts. In the United States, such disorders in women reaffirmed that the U.S. was on par with Europe; one American physician expressed pleasure that the country was ”catching up” to Europe in the prevalence of hysteria.

Rachel P. Maines has observed that such cases were quite profitable for physicians, since the patients were at no risk of death, but needed constant treatment. The only problem was that physicians did not enjoy the tedious task of vaginal massage (generally referred to as 'pelvic massage'): The technique was difficult for a physician to master and could take hours to achieve "hysterical paroxysm." Referral to midwives, which had been common practice, meant a loss of business for the physician. The Chaise Longue and Fainting couch became popular home furniture to make women more comfortable during home treatment. Fainting rooms were also used for more privacy during home treatment.

A 1918 Sears, Roebuck and Co. ad with several models of vibrators.A solution was the invention of massage devices, which shortened treatment from hours to minutes, removing the need for midwives and increasing a physician’s treatment capacity. Already at the beginning of the 19th century, hydrotherapy devices were available at Bath, and by the mid-19th century, they were popular at many high-profile bathing resorts across Europe, the United States and other American countries.[1] By 1870, a clockwork-driven vibrator was available for physicians. In 1873, the first electromechanical vibrator was used at an asylum in France for the treatment of hysteria.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_hysteria

And here are a few early ads:
Attachments:
Sears 1.jpg
Sears 2.jpg

Posted by: Liver Lips ()
Date: May 29, 2012 05:42PM

Now how could it be proven?

Posted by: JustanFYI ()
Date: May 29, 2012 11:48PM

eesh Wrote:
> Eureka!
>
> I think Virginia laws are that you can sell sex
> toys in adult stores but not in mainstream stores
> like a drugstore or grocery store.

Are you sure?

GO check out Brookstone in the mall - they have an entire display of vibrators, (massagers)...
http://www.brookstone.com/personal-massagers?bkiid=hmpg|left_nav|massage|personal

Date: May 30, 2012 12:01AM

actually read it next time Wrote:
> trogdor! Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
>
> > (3) Any obscene figure, object, article,
> > instrument, novelty device, or recording or
> > transcription used or intended to be used in
> > disseminating any obscene song, ballad, words,
> or
> > sounds; or
>
>
> Read the whole sentence, it helps a lot with
> understanding.
>
>
> Can you tell me what songs ballads or words or
> sounds vibrators are disseminating that makes this
> even remotely applicable in any way shape or form?

I think the sentence reads:

*Any obscene figure
*object
*article
*instrument
*novelty device
*recording
*transcription used or intended to be used in disseminating any obscene song, ballad, words, or sounds;

But perhaps I'm wrong. Or perhaps more detailed reading is necessary:

http://hastingsconlawquarterly.org/archives/V29/I1/Schilder.pdf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2012 12:05AM by trogdor!.

Date: May 30, 2012 12:04AM

Another legal article that thinks 18.2-373(3) bans sexual devices.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/jclc/backissues/v100/n2/1002_555.Glover.pdf

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2012 12:16AM by trogdor!.

Posted by: actually read it next time ()
Date: May 30, 2012 12:14AM

trogdor! Wrote:

> I think the sentence reads:
>
> *Any obscene figure
> *object
> *article
> *instrument
> *novelty device
> *recording
> *transcription used or intended to be used in
> disseminating any obscene song, ballad, words, or
> sounds;
>
> But perhaps I'm wrong. Or perhaps more detailed
> reading is necessary:
>
> http://hastingsconlawquarterly.org/archives/V29/I1
> /Schilder.pdf

So again tell me what it has to do with recording songs or ripping them off?

Or are you going to try and say a battery humming is an obscene sound? Guess cars and lawnmowers and computers and fans are illegal too then

Date: May 30, 2012 12:19AM

actually read it next time Wrote:

> So again tell me what it has to do with recording
> songs or ripping them off?
>
> Or are you going to try and say a battery humming
> is an obscene sound? Guess cars and lawnmowers
> and computers and fans are illegal too then

Line (3) lists multiple items, transcripts for music is just one of the items.

See the two articles I noted above. They agree with me that this section bans sexual devices, i.e. 'vibrators'.

Date: May 30, 2012 12:33AM

Here's a few more stating that 18.2-374 bans sexual devices, although it has not been tested in the courts and would in all probability be found unconstitutional.

[BYU Law Review]

http://lawreview.byu.edu/archives/2010/4/07%20-%20Curtis.FIN.pdf

[Western New England Law Review]

http://digitalcommons.law.wne.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1656&context=lawreview

[Fordham Law Review]

http://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=4455&context=flr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2012 12:35AM by trogdor!.

Date: May 30, 2012 12:59AM

If you read that part of the statute, its pretty clear that it applies to either 1) a minor (who can't consent to object penetration (by law)) or 2) forcible, involuntary object penetration.

Date: May 30, 2012 01:02AM

Viscount Monteforte d_Alsace Wrote:
> If you read that part of the statute, its pretty
> clear that it applies to either 1) a minor (who
> can't consent to object penetration (by law)) or
> 2) forcible, involuntary object penetration.

That's true, if you're talking about 18.2-67.2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.