HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
snowblower
Posted by: wb ()
Date: April 18, 2010 09:45AM

Anyone buy a snowblower since last winter? If so what did you buy? I'm wondering if I can find any deals online.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: snowblower
Posted by: fyi ()
Date: April 18, 2010 09:49AM

wb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone buy a snowblower since last winter? If so
> what did you buy? I'm wondering if I can find any
> deals online.

Ask that queer 496, he just bought one.

Posted by: General Lee ()
Date: April 18, 2010 11:09AM

I'm sure you can find some deals at Home Depot or Lowe's over the next couple of months. You might find a better deal online but I bet with the price of shipping it won't be much different than buying it from the store (I'd imagine it cost a lot to ship a snowblower).

Posted by: TomMadison ()
Date: April 18, 2010 01:17PM

General Lee Wrote:
> I'm sure you can find some deals at Home Depot or
> Lowe's over the next couple of months. You might
> find a better deal online but I bet with the price
> of shipping it won't be much different than buying
> it from the store (I'd imagine it cost a lot to
> ship a snowblower).

I don't know about Home Depot, but if you order a snow blower online from Lowe's there is an option to have it shipped to the store at no charge.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: April 18, 2010 02:32PM

Just look on Craigslist or ebay. I'm sure there was someone that bought one out of impulse and is looking to get rid of it.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: April 19, 2010 08:42PM

I bought mine from Amazon.com for Christmas delivery in 2008, and it arrived in a prompt manner.

http://www.amazon.com/Toro-Shovel-Thrower-Electric-38360/dp/B0002ST948

It worked wonders this past Winter, and even though it required a lot of muscle in the deep snow, it made fast work it. Also, it was perfect for areas where there remained no more room to throw shoveled snow, because it tosses it fairly far in a small particulate powder. You can even use the "Power Shovel" for clearing debris from driveways, walkways, etc. when we don't have snow lying around.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: chzhead ()
Date: April 19, 2010 09:34PM

We get like 4" of snow a year... not worth the trouble.

Posted by: toolman ()
Date: April 20, 2010 09:55PM

wb Wrote:
> Anyone buy a snowblower since last winter? If so
> what did you buy? I'm wondering if I can find any
> deals online.

I bought one a few years ago. A 30 inch two-stage Ariens. It's a monster that throws snow about 40 feet and chews right through the hard stuff that the snowplows push into your driveway as they go by. I bought it online at SnowBlowersDirect.com. They have free shipping. Obviously, prices are lower during the offseason (but maybe not this year, because there will be fewer leftovers after such a snowy winter). You can make some serious money with a snowthrower in big snows like we had.

Like somebody said, you won't get much use out of a snowblower most years, but they are worth their weight in gold in a big snow. If you have room for it, get one. Just store it properly. Gasoline goes bad, so either drain it or use fuel stabilizer like Sta-Bil. I start mine a few times a year and run it for a while, just to make sure it will start if/when I need it.

The best blowers are Hondas, but ridiculously expensive ($2K+). Ariens and Toro are very good. Stay away from anything made by MTD (Yardman, Troy-bilt, White, etc) they're shit. Murray/Sears are junk too. Home Depot's cheaper blowers (Sno-Tek) are made by Ariens, so they are pretty good.

IMO, a man can't have too many machines! Hell, I own a D-5 Caterpillar dozer. Excavation sub pissed me off, so I bought it to dig the basement of a country house I was building and just couldn't part with it. Nothing like jumping up an that thing and clearing land or ripping out stumps and shit. Incredible feeling of power!

Posted by: Qwest ()
Date: April 20, 2010 10:55PM

I bought snowblower last year. Not sure where she went, once the coke ran out she gone.

Posted by: TomMadison ()
Date: April 20, 2010 10:56PM

toolman Wrote:
> IMO, a man can't have too many machines! Hell, I
> own a D-5 Caterpillar dozer. Excavation sub
> pissed me off, so I bought it to dig the basement
> of a country house I was building and just
> couldn't part with it. Nothing like jumping up an
> that thing and clearing land or ripping out stumps
> and shit. Incredible feeling of power!

You have your own D-5? Impressive! I cannot imagine ever needing one (although a Bobcat would be nice to have at my disposal), but I learned to drive one during college when I worked for a plumbing contractor and I had to install drainage systems for a new housing development.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.