HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Laurent Simons, 9-year-old child prodigy, set to graduate from Belgian college
Posted by: savage nation ()
Date: November 16, 2019 02:49PM

Laurent-Simons.png?resize=388%2C220&ssl=

A 9-year-old child prodigy from Belgium is more than a decade ahead of his peers as he’s set to graduate from college next month, according to a new report. Laurent Simons, who is studying electrical engineering at Eindhoven University of Technology, is set to finish his degree by December, CNN reported. The young genius will then go for his PhD in electrical engineering, while also working for a degree in medicine. Prestigious universities around the world have already reached out to recruit Laurent, but his parents, Lydia and Alexander Simons, wouldn’t say where the youngster plans to pursue his next degree.

(that would require mostly a photographic memory, a good work ethic of "not being lazy" or parents threatening him to study, but also good comprehension too - and perhaps zero xbox time)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Laurent Simons, 9-year-old child prodigy, set to graduate from Belgian college
Posted by: savage nation ()
Date: November 16, 2019 02:51PM

children pressured by parents to be prodigy who are not prodigy have a high suicide rate (esp asians) and or terrible childhood - so there is a little concern whenever you hear the word "prodigy" pop up in the news

Re: Laurent Simons, 9-year-old child prodigy, set to graduate from Belgian college
Posted by: seen it before ()
Date: November 16, 2019 03:02PM

Meh. He will end up in the research labs of some corporate giant and work 16 hours a day 7 days a week. His name will occasionally appear in scientific journals and he will be known only to a few of his peers in his small research community. He will not have any societal life changing discoveries. He will die a lonely man in middle age, not having amassed much wealth and having spent very little time outside of his labs. I have a relative that experienced exactly this. Cut off ties with family and was totally immersed in research only because that is all they knew. Occasionally you would get a Christmas card if they even remembered it was Christmas. Dates, holidays, significant family events meant nothing. Kinda sad but everyone chooses how to spend their time on this rock.

Posted by: Borderline child abuse ()
Date: November 16, 2019 04:17PM

seen it before Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Meh. He will end up in the research labs of some
> corporate giant and work 16 hours a day 7 days a
> week. His name will occasionally appear in
> scientific journals and he will be known only to a
> few of his peers in his small research community.
> He will not have any societal life changing
> discoveries. He will die a lonely man in middle
> age, not having amassed much wealth and having
> spent very little time outside of his labs. I have
> a relative that experienced exactly this. Cut off
> ties with family and was totally immersed in
> research only because that is all they knew.
> Occasionally you would get a Christmas card if
> they even remembered it was Christmas. Dates,
> holidays, significant family events meant nothing.
> Kinda sad but everyone chooses how to spend their
> time on this rock.

Yeah. I was labeled a "prodigy" by my teachers and put in GT classes in ES. My IQ is off the charts but intelligence is simply not inherently advantageous especially in this system that values expensive certifications over true mastery. Without rich parents to put you through college, early or not, your average genius will still likely flip burgers at some point in his lifetime. People with high IQs are more likely to dabble in narcotics too, ignorance is bliss, when you understand exactly how fucked up the world is and realize you're just a puny little human, life seems pretty gloomy. Additionally, gifted adolescents are often inclined to believe they can outsmart the authorities and may end up incarcerated and branded from careers that will utilize their gift. But that's my story, I'm happy enough, the world goes on and this Belgian brat will be face extreme social isolation for the rest of his life. Kids need to be kids as well as to be around kids

Posted by: -90sdfj ()
Date: November 16, 2019 07:55PM

Posted by: wally ()
Date: November 16, 2019 11:54PM

Too bad he can't just be a kid.

Posted by: Jonh Gaarg ()
Date: March 08, 2020 11:34AM

wally Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Too bad he can't just be a kid.
Yeap... 9 year old kid

Posted by: qusserel ()
Date: March 08, 2020 11:37AM

College at 9 , it is crazy. This really takes the child from the child. I remember how many problems I had in college at first, the new environment, the hostel, the rubble in my studies, often helped out services like boom essays review in order to somehow stabilize the situation. Even though this child is very full-bodied, this does not negate the fact that he has not yet learned how to deal with life problems and does not have critical thinking. That would be a lot of stress for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2020 06:50AM by qusserel.

Posted by: Dr Shockley ()
Date: March 10, 2020 06:34AM

At age 9, most black kids are still learning how to spell their name. Fact!

Posted by: Urgent Warning ()
Date: March 10, 2020 11:58PM

LEAVE YOUR HOME
LEAVE THIS FORUM
CARRY GUNS WATER MEDS FOOD
GO SOUTH!
UV LIGHT KILLS THE BUG
GO NOW!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.