HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
"Ghost Train" Whistle - Fairfax Station
Posted by: Old Virginian ()
Date: September 14, 2018 08:59PM

On August 25th at 9 p.m. in Fairfax Station (off Henderson Road), I believe that I heard a phantom "ghost train" whistle in or near my yard. I have lived in my home for 13 years and I have never heard something so loud or so close to my home. On rare occasion, over the years, I have heard a very distant train whistle from what I assume would be from the VRE or Amtrak trains (Burke or Clifton) but nothing as loud as what I heard that night.

My husband happened to be walking the dog in the backyard at the time & I was already in bed. When he came inside, he said the hair on his arms was standing on end and that the whistle sounded like the train was in the backyard. I'm wondering if anyone else has ever experienced something like this.

I've since done a little research & wondered if our experience had something to do with something paranormal, a residual energy imprinted in the environment. I have learned that Fairfax Station was originally a station of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad. It was known as "Lee's Station" during its first year. During the Civil War in August 1862, Clara Barton tended to wounded Union and Confederate troops at the station after the Second Battle of Bull Run (Manassas), with headquarters at nearby St. Mary's Church (not too far from our home).

I am a very logical person & I just can't explain what I experienced. Maybe there's a connection considering the timing of this happening in late August of this year? It was obviously a very traumatic time during the Civil War and particularly in August of 1862 in this immediate area. A time full of pain & suffering. I can't help but think that maybe the environment absorbed some of that energy & the conditions must have been just right on the 25th for me to possibly hear that ghost train whistle so loud and clear. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has a similar story to share. Thanks for reading.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Ghost Train" Whistle - Fairfax Station
Posted by: Mystery Machine ()
Date: September 14, 2018 09:04PM

Posted by: Steam v Diesel ()
Date: September 14, 2018 10:29PM

@Mystery Machine. That is a horn, not a whistle.

Posted by: Shaggy Doo ()
Date: September 14, 2018 10:45PM

Steam v Diesel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @Mystery Machine. That is a horn, not a whistle.

It sounds like a train. Trains don't use steam whistles anymore either.

They said 'train whistle' when they appear to mean a modern horn as on an Amtrak train. The only distinction made being how loud:

"On rare occasion, over the years, I have heard a very distant "train >whistle from what I assume would be from the VRE or Amtrak trains (Burke or Clifton) but nothing as loud as what I heard that night."

Posted by: No such things as ghost trains ()
Date: September 14, 2018 10:51PM

I hear them in NW DC from time to time. The closest train tracks are miles and miles away, but given the right atmospherics, sound can travel much further than you’d think it could. If there are train tracks within 25 miles of your location, you could possibly hear a whistle from them every now and again.

Posted by: Choo-Choo Charlie ()
Date: September 14, 2018 11:41PM

No such things as ghost trains Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hear them in NW DC from time to time. The
> closest train tracks are miles and miles away, but
> given the right atmospherics, sound can travel
> much further than you’d think it could. If
> there are train tracks within 25 miles of your
> location, you could possibly hear a whistle from
> them every now and again.

I live less than 100 yds from the B&O Baltimore Main in NE DC and swear I keep hearing the distinctive horn tone and and noise of Baldwin RF-16 shark nose diesel engines except B&O didn't run those here.

Posted by: Doug Tracht ()
Date: September 15, 2018 04:15PM

They are called "Whistles," "horns," and "chimes" you glum cunts.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.