HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Route 28 gripes
Posted by: Matt0681 ()
Date: November 18, 2009 07:49PM

-Why is the light for SB 28 traffic to turn left to enter EB I66 so long? Traveling north on 28 in the evenings, without fail I always have to wait forever at that light. What gives?

-The traffic signal for the park/ballfields between Braddock/Walney Rd and Westfields Blvd.. Why not eliminate this light and force NB 28 traffic wanting to access the ballfields to exit at Westfields Blvd. and return SB on 28? Same for all the people who use that light for a u-turn.. Coming back south on 28 I got stopped at the red light so 5 cars could u-turn there. Why do so many people need to u-turn there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Route 28 gripes
Posted by: boredom ()
Date: November 18, 2009 10:51PM

The light at the Rt 28 & I66 ramps is long because of traffic control. There is no cloverleaf at I66 due to the presence of a county building and a church. Likely there never will be, or at least, not until the church moves.

Removing the light at the ballpark would do nothing significant to the flow of traffic due to the delay at Rt 28 and I66.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: November 19, 2009 08:01AM

Yeah, the delay is up at I-66. I too would like some kind of restriction at the park but it probably wouldn't make any difference.

Posted by: mgnut ()
Date: November 19, 2009 09:20AM

They U-turn there becuase they are probably coming from Walney and you can no longer go from Walney to southbound 28. Therefore they go north to that light and then perform a u-turn.

Posted by: t dad ()
Date: November 19, 2009 09:27AM

The baseball field traffic light is ridiculous. No matter how many millions of dollars you spend on overpasses you still have that massive backup that light creates.

Posted by: BagODonuts ()
Date: November 19, 2009 11:06AM

People, be happy with the relatively cheap easy solutions they have come up with in that corridor of 28 from Westfields to 66. How easily we forget the days of being able to cross 28 at Walney and New Braddock. Much better these days.

pgens is right, eliminating the ECL park stoplight would do nothing for delays.

Problem is, the whole design of the 28 and 66 instersection was short sighted. There shouldn't be any stoplights. Unfortunately, it was all done before the Supreme Court had their most recent eminent domain ruling and I'm guessing the county/state probably wasn't as able to get the land needed for cloverleaf without high legal costs.

Imagine though, if there was a cloverleaf, it would be quite a cluster eff with traffic getting off 66E to 28N mixing with the 28S traffic getting onto 66E.

Just be glad for the overpasses the rest of the way up 28.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2009 02:06PM by BagODonuts.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: November 19, 2009 01:12PM

I drive it everyday, and I agree the ballpark light is not the problem. If they could get rid both it AND the light at braddock (force a right turn to get on it), then we would be talking. It would cause perhaps a few minutes improvement in getting through.

I know, never gonna happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2009 01:12PM by RESton Peace.

Posted by: Omash ()
Date: November 19, 2009 01:12PM

We should get rid of that SB 28 traffic light to turn left to enter EB I66. It's nothing but a mess. EB66 traffic can go down to the 29 clover leaf. Or better yet use the Walney exit to Fair Lakes drive. Rt 28 should have to stop for SB 28 traffic!

Date: November 19, 2009 01:18PM

I avoid 28 like the plague.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: Berdhuis ()
Date: November 19, 2009 02:57PM

The view from the new Rt. 28 overpass on Frying Pan Rd provides a magnificent vista of the Dulles Airport Operation Area as the trees become bare.

Posted by: ยง ()
Date: November 19, 2009 04:04PM

I avoid the plague like I do Rt. 28.

Posted by: Mclovin 28 ()
Date: November 19, 2009 09:48PM

I get on that road sometimes and I can help but do 80-90mph. There's nothing better. Wish the airport po-po would get back to eatin donuts on concourse B sometimes tho. I think it's hilarious that they're running speed traps on 28 and 267 now all the way to Tysons. airport security my ass. you see some of these airport cops? time to make the donuts, time to eat the krispy kreme truck.

Posted by: screech ()
Date: November 20, 2009 01:40AM

Was driving on 28 south at about 3:30pm yesterday. It was backed up almost all of the way to the new Willard interchange.

What they need to do:
- Get rid of the Braddock & Walney intersections altogether. There's no reason why anyone needing to get onto 28 couldn't drive a mile north and get onto it via the Westfields interchange. Even with the recent traffic calming measures that intersection is still a major bottleneck, not to mention I start fearing for my life every time I approach that deathtrap. Of course, this would mean that Poplar Tree would need to be extended to four lanes as it too is already a mess.
- Build a flyover ramp from 28SB to 66EB. Presto, no more turning left to get on 66EB and no clusterfuck merging issues with 66EB to 28NB traffic.

Posted by: check please ()
Date: November 20, 2009 01:45AM

I have been saying they should put a flyover at 66 and 28 for a long time. I love that idea. I think that would help out a ton in the traffic problem on 28. That way it wouldnt start backing up until damn near Prince William county. let them deal with it.

Posted by: local resident ()
Date: November 20, 2009 06:53AM

The light at Braddock/28 has already inconvenienced everyone that lives on both sides of it. I wish it was the way it use to be. Why do so many residents have to pay so that a bunch of commuters can make it to the wall of traffic on 66 or heading into Manassas. You are not going anywhere fast in another 1/4 mile anyway. Walney road, Stone road, Lee road, Braddock road and even neighborhood streets are jammed daily with people trying to "take the short cut" There are too many people in this area, and there is simply no fix to the traffic problems. No matter how many bridges, tunnels, or train stations you install we will remain jammed until you eliminate some traffic. Perhaps a by-pass for 66 and 95 traffic where there is no exits only entrances ( and exits for emergency's only ) Like a road that goes from 66 in Manassas area to 95 on the other side of 495. 95 would connect to this by pass too. trucks, and traffic that is not going local would be eliminated all together.

Date: November 20, 2009 07:19AM

BagODonuts Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> People, be happy with the relatively cheap easy
> solutions they have come up with in that corridor
> of 28 from Westfields to 66. How easily we forget
> the days of being able to cross 28 at Walney and
> New Braddock. Much better these days.
>
> pgens is right, eliminating the ECL park stoplight
> would do nothing for delays.
>
> Problem is, the whole design of the 28 and 66
> instersection was short sighted. There shouldn't
> be any stoplights. Unfortunately, it was all done
> before the Supreme Court had their most recent
> eminent domain ruling and I'm guessing the
> county/state probably wasn't as able to get the
> land needed for cloverleaf without high legal
> costs.
>
> Imagine though, if there was a cloverleaf, it
> would be quite a cluster eff with traffic getting
> off 66E to 28N mixing with the 28S traffic getting
> onto 66E.
>
> Just be glad for the overpasses the rest of the
> way up 28.

Way to regurgitate my entire post. Good job. My plan is working.

Date: November 20, 2009 07:24AM

All I want these bitches to do now is to widen Poplar tree so that it is 4 lanes the entire way and we don't have the bullshit we do now where Westfields is 4 lanes, it turns into Poplar Tree and goes to 2 lanes, and then after like a quarter of a mile, expands back to 4 lanes.

But since we're wishing, the county should extend Parkstone Dr so that it connects with Braddock Rd to add another way to move traffic across Rt 28 that isn't on Poplar Tree or Old Lee.

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: November 20, 2009 08:13AM

local resident Wrote:
> Like a road that goes from 66
> in Manassas area to 95 on the other side of 495.
> 95 would connect to this by pass too. trucks, and
> traffic that is not going local would be
> eliminated all together.

I like this idea

Also

Make Rt50 a highway
Build Another highway between DC And FBURG
Have 2 Beltways..

Bottom line is we need more options, This area is so limited when you need to go somewhere, if that way is clogged up, your screwed.

Posted by: Batavia ()
Date: November 20, 2009 03:58PM

Eliminating the traffic signals at EC Lawrence Park, Walney/Braddock, and at Rt.28/I-66 will reduce the congestion in this corridor, but ultimately it will move the choke point further south to Route 28/Upperridge Drive. The solution to facilitate the movement of vehicles in this area is to build a cloverleaf intersection at Rt.28/I-66 and it is on the County Comprehensive Plan. Unfortunately, the cost of this improvement is estimated at 60-80 million dollars and the dire transportation financial situation for the state means that these dollars are probably not coming our way anytime soon for this improvement. Finally, the county acquired the land where the church/Sully Senior Center is located for the express purpose of building the interchange, but until the state comes up with the money the county will continue to let operations take place in the building.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: November 20, 2009 04:13PM

Adam Wrote:
> local resident Wrote:
> > Like a road that goes from 66
> > in Manassas area to 95 on the other side of
> 495.
> > 95 would connect to this by pass too. trucks,
> and
> > traffic that is not going local would be
> > eliminated all together.
>
> I like this idea
>
> Also
>
> Make Rt50 a highway
> Build Another highway between DC And FBURG
> Have 2 Beltways..
>
> Bottom line is we need more options, This area is
> so limited when you need to go somewhere, if that
> way is clogged up, your screwed.

There was going to be another beltway! Too bad 50 and 15 years ago people said I dont want that shit in my backyard. See here http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/wiki/Outer_Beltway

Posted by: cassiocm ()
Date: February 11, 2011 01:07PM

Having lived overseas and other cities, I think traffic at NOVA is a total mess for more than just like of funds, but mostly for lack of will and imagination. I find it amazing how simple intersections (such as some out of residential cul-de-sacs) have to have a traffic light (as opposed to a traffic circle). There are thousands of other examples of the "in-the-box" one size fits all approaches to everything. One perfect example is the south bound Walney St entering NB28. That intersection still has a traffic light for the traffic coming from Walney to merge onto route 28. Why not build a merge lane there and cars enter when possible? Instead, there is a sensor on Walney to trip that light. So a typical driver going north on 28, having just spent several minutes at the SB28 light into 66 not much further down the road, is forced to stop again because of a single car entering the NB28 from Walney. The lights are synchronized. That would be unthinkable anywhere else. Lots of engineers in VDOT payroll that should feel ashamed for not speak up and come up with creative solutions for such a high density area such as Fairfax. Just a thought.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: February 11, 2011 01:34PM

And when you put those proposals in writing to the management of VDOT in Northern Virginia what was their response?

----------------------------------------

"She looks pretty good for 12, admit it." - WingNut, 04/24/2012

"I'm racist too. So what?" - Ellipsis 9/16/2011

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Posted by: cassiocm ()
Date: February 11, 2011 02:27PM

Never done it. I don't have enough faith in VA that will warrant my time and effort. Besides, this is something that should be as clear as water for a traffic engineer making 6 figures. Now if you know of a site where we can sign a petition, then maybe I will participate. T

Posted by: Centreville Resident ()
Date: February 11, 2011 02:33PM

I think that eventually they are going to just shut off Braddock Road from access to 28.

Posted by: Mike ()
Date: March 22, 2011 08:54AM

I'm tired of all the folks who feel their time is more important then everyone elses in line to get onto 28, they are too important to que up on I-66 and wait to get onto 28 so they cut in front and because people keep cutting in at the front the back of the line just keeps dangling in the highway. I also seeing alot of folks running on the shoulder now to turn onto Braddock *wink wink* and then just not making it all the way over into the Braddock lanes.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: March 22, 2011 08:57AM

HEY!! Thanks for that tip, Mike!

I'll be sure to wave "thanks" when I do that, now ;)

Date: March 22, 2011 09:00AM

Park light shouldnt be there - an access road should be built to Braddock to get to the park. Wouldnt be that hard, there's plenty of land parallel to 28 right there, and the county owns it already -

Braddock and Walney should be CLOSED at 28, cause they both have other access points to get to 66 that arent to far away

But it's cheaper to just leave the inconveniences and death-trap intersections the way it is

gotta live living in the Hillbilly Highway Making State, sometimes :(

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: March 22, 2011 09:24AM

Centreville Resident Wrote:
> I think that eventually they are going to just
> shut off Braddock Road from access to 28.

28 traffic gets a huge amount of priority there, removing Braddock access won't solve that parking lot problem. The 28/66 intersection needs to be grade-changed like 28/29 to remove the lights. I have no idea how that would be done, it looks like it would be incredibly difficult which is why it has probably remained the way it is. And left-hand turn access into that park definitely needs to be removed, which would get rid of that light.

> Braddock and Walney should be CLOSED at 28, cause they
> both have other access points to get to 66 that arent
> to far away

You have no idea what you are saying. Look at a satellite map, thousands of households would have to drive three or four miles to get to the I-66 interchange, for no benefit to southbound 28 PM drivers.

I agree on the park. If you leave Braddock and kill the park light, there are still a couple of ways to get to the park. Less convenient sure, but the few people who need to make a left to get into the park are outweighed by the crush of people using 28 to get to 66. But Braddock isn't the bottleneck, 66 is the bottleneck. If you got rid of the Braddock/Walney light it would still be a PM parking lot.

----------------------------------------

"She looks pretty good for 12, admit it." - WingNut, 04/24/2012

"I'm racist too. So what?" - Ellipsis 9/16/2011

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Date: March 22, 2011 10:13AM

A mile or two detour doesnt seem that big a deal to me (cause, of course, I dont live there LoLz) , but I get yr point about it not really helping, cause yeah, it's the 66 light that is the real issue

That church property is the problem. The county has that center there so nobody else could buy the land when they were able to get their hands on it - and as soon as they can get their hands on the church property, we will get our full interchange

Then, of course, we will switch our attentions to the Compton Rd light :)

Posted by: Walney Rezident ()
Date: March 22, 2011 12:08PM

I live on walney. I think one of the best things they did was stop that left turn onto 28 (from the park area). All the workers in that area would line up half a mile up the hill to turn left there to get to 66. Now there is practically no traffic, which fits in with the park area.

The left turn on 28 into that park/field area, is NOT the problem. It just feels like it is. During rush hour, people would U turn there (irrationally pissing me off), just to have to wait in line to get to 66 like the rest of us. By the time the light changes, there is only enough room to fill the gap. It's not an issue.

Will all the cloverleafs and other intersections down 28, I don't understand why they don't remove the light at 66 and put in a flyover ramp. That would help alleviate the traffic. Fortunately for me, I just never venture that way during rush hour, but the times I have to it's a pain. i would hate to have to commute in that area. I work in Mclean.

Date: April 19, 2011 11:47AM

As of 2011, Fairfax County submitted a request in the state transportation budget for $10 million for a design to alleviate the congestion issue at Rt 28/I-66. For this amount of money, I assume they looking at a comprehensive solution to include Braddock/Walney also. I have seen surveyors out working the area for the last couple of weeks.

In my previous communication with VDOT and Fairfax County, they indicated it would cost around $75 million to complete the I-66 interchange and construct the New Braddock/28 interchange, which they feel needs to be done at the same time. They weren't clear on whether the $75 million included Braddock/Walney or not. I have seen designs online that show a bridge carrying Braddock/Walney over 28 and a new bridge over I-66 east of the existing Rt 28 bridge, to carry traffic up to the Braddock Rd/Rt 29 stoplight via historic Centreville.

Just a couple of years ago, VDOT inserted into their 6 year plan $75 million to widen Rt 28 to 6 lanes, from Rt 29, 4 miles to Liberia Ave in Manassas. When the recession hit, this was pulled from the 6 year plan. They are aware of the capacity issue, but lack the funds to do anything about it right now.

Posted by: concrete ()
Date: April 20, 2011 10:23AM

That would just make traffic worse at Stone Road and 29 and also Westfield Blvd and 28. I agree there needs to be something done about that whole situation but shutting down access to 28 from Braddock road I dont think is the answer.

Date: April 20, 2011 12:11PM

That would just make traffic worse at Stone Road and 29 and also Westfield Blvd and 28. I agree there needs to be something done about that whole situation but shutting down access to 28 from Braddock road I dont think is the answer.

==================================================================

VDOT and Fairfax County really screwed the pooch in the southern end of the 28 corridor. The backup from the lights at Braddock/Walney and I-66 can extend 4-5 miles in the evening rush. It's incomprehensible that they didn't start the design and funding process to deal with the Centreville bottleneck years ago, since they are well aware of the lead time necessary to start pushing dirt.

The other obvious stupidity was the decision to 4 lane the Westfields bridge. So 4 lanes worth of traffic (2 lanes on the bridge, 1 exit ramp from 28, and the right turn exit lane from the Westfields business park) has to funnel into two lanes at the Westfields business park light, heading towards Stone Road. Traffic inside the business park backs up 1/2 to 1 mile waiting to get out, while traffic jams across the Westfields bridge, and backs up on the 28 exit ramp.

It is clear that the bridge should have been 6 lanes and Westfields/Poplar Tree/Stone Road should have all been 6 lanes to provide more capacity. Of course, right now the measly four lanes has to funnel down into two lanes before it hits Stone Road, but they are in the process of widening it to four lanes on Poplar Tree right now. Four lanes will never be adequate, dooming the Westfields interchange to perpetual gridlock at the evening rush.

On another note, I contacted VDOT and asked them if they planned on closing Braddock/Walney once the Poplar Tree widening was complete. Although they would like to, they say there are no plans to do that at this time. I'm sure their $10 million study and design will explore this option though.

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: April 20, 2011 07:27PM

I think that closing the Braddock/Walney intersection without making any other road improvements in the area would have limited benefits. The FC Transportation Plan originally planned for 3 bridges in the Centreville area that should be completed if they close the intersection. The 3 bridges are still on the plan.
Attachments:
28-29-66-bridges.jpg

Date: April 20, 2011 08:00PM

the new braddock/stone rd bridge should have been built like 100 years ago.

the other two prolly arent really needed..............

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: April 20, 2011 08:12PM

Wow, REALLY sucks for those people on Picket Oaks and Store House (cts.) if they decide to extend New Braddock through.

I wonder if they would emminent domain a dozen houses there, or just put a major road adajcent to their property line. Noise walls FTW!

Date: April 20, 2011 08:51PM

The chances any of these 3 routes will be built in my lifetime is really zero.

Date: April 20, 2011 09:10PM

newgatedenizen Wrote:
> The chances any of these 3 routes will be built in
> my lifetime is really zero.

--------------------------------

less than.................

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: April 21, 2011 03:28AM

newgatedenizen Wrote:

Meanwhile, VDOT recently finished construction of an overpass (no cloverleaf) in a similar situation over I-95 in Fredericksburg south of exit 126. It appears to provide easier access to the hospital so people dont have to drive on so much of congested route 1 to get there.

Rural VA always getting shit done

Posted by: ........ ()
Date: June 09, 2011 04:56PM

justsayin Wrote:
> And when you put those proposals in writing to the
> management of VDOT in Northern Virginia what was
> their response?

"It's against our policy to implement what you have suggested.".

If VDOT doesn't want to do something, they say they can't because of policy. If VDOT does something and you question it, it's being done because of policy.

I think they just make up the policy as they go along.

Posted by: Blah ()
Date: June 09, 2011 05:06PM

Here's a link for all the VDOT Projects under the "Six-Year Improvement Program"

VDOT Six-Year Improvement Program
http://syip.virginiadot.org/Pages/allProjects.aspx

Date: June 10, 2011 10:29AM

it's easy to blame VDOT for everything - but fact of the matter is that Rural VA gets more shit done in terms of roads cause there is WAY LESS NIMBY bullshit they have to deal with down there - plain and simple.

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: June 10, 2011 11:00AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> it's easy to blame VDOT for everything - but fact
> of the matter is that Rural VA gets more shit done
> in terms of roads cause there is WAY LESS NIMBY
> bullshit they have to deal with down there - plain
> and simple.

There's also WAY LESS BACKYARDS in the first place, lol.

Posted by: theShadowToo ()
Date: June 10, 2011 11:02AM

Coming late to this party, but....a couple things, if I may:

>VDOT / Fairfax screwing the pooch on 28 south of Centerville

While I don't disagree, the reason 28 looks the way it does today (betwen 66 and Rt. 7) is due to the way it was financed. A special tax district was created between ECL Park and Rt 7 for businesses along this corridor that essentially paid for the interchange and road improvement projects within the corridor. Without that tax district, we'd still have traffic lights up and down 28. There's no special tax district south of 66 (other than Virginia state tax to VDOT) that provides funds specifically to improve 28.

>New bridges

It's my understanding that the first bridge pictured (Poplar Tree over 28 connecting to Stonecroft) was supposed to be built only after all interchanges have been built in the special tax district. I've also heard about the bridge connecting Braddock Road w/ Heron Dr (second picture), but that would ultimately be a part of the 66/28 interchange buildout.

> I66 / 28 Interchange

One of the big issues with this interchange is ECL park. From what I understand, the park boundary abuts the exit ramp for 66E -> 28N. There is no room to make a full cloverleaf intersection there (not that one is needed -- 66W traffic from 28N is now diverted to 29S). From what I've heard and read, when the land was donated to the park authority by the estate of ECL, it was agreed that if it was used for any purpose other than parkland, it would revert back to the estate.

> re: VDOT making up policy

It's not only VDOT. In Sutton Oaks (just off Poplar Tree Road near where the old curve was) there's a dead end road. It was supposed to connect with what is now Autumn Glory in Poplar Parc. It's been on the master plan for years (Sutton Oaks is at least 15-20 years old). However, when Poplar Parc was built, the road wasn't extended. When I checked w/ Frey's office on why this was done, I was told that they were unable to do so because of the engineering issues involved with connecting the two roads. How's that for policy?!? They were able to overcome the engineering issues to build (what were then) million dollar homes but couldn't do the same for connecting the damn road?!?

> re: rural VA getting stuff done (vs. Fairfax)

Gordon Blvd is partially correct in regard to NIMBYs. It's also based on the formula VDOT uses to allocate money. IIRC, it's based on miles of secondary roads vs. population (or something like that). The number miles for secondary roads in Fairfax (numbered routes such as 620, 645, 615, etc.) is comparable to rural counties. The number of miles of subdivision roads, however, is not.

Date: September 19, 2011 07:33PM

I agree with this, too. When those signals are removed, exits should start having exit numbers like interstates do. The numbers will be in sequential order from north. If applicable, I366 should replace VA sr 28.

Date: September 19, 2011 07:58PM

Is 65 MPH speed limit from the previous 55 safe?

Posted by: 20YearCvilleResident ()
Date: September 23, 2011 05:29PM

Re: theShadowToo()

You said:

"> I66 / 28 Interchange

One of the big issues with this interchange is ECL park. From what I understand, the park boundary abuts the exit ramp for 66E -> 28N. There is no room to make a full cloverleaf intersection there (not that one is needed -- 66W traffic from 28N is now diverted to 29S). From what I've heard and read, when the land was donated to the park authority by the estate of ECL, it was agreed that if it was used for any purpose other than parkland, it would revert back to the estate."

When the interchange was improved as part of the 28/29 widening (adding the slip ramp to 28N), VDOT was instructed to come up with a plan for a full interchange at I-66/Rt 28, understanding the issues with ECL, as you indicated. At that time, their solution was a future flyover interchange. Of course, they never built it, and now I see they have requested 10 million more to design it again. I guess those plans go stale after some period of time. Regarding the land use issue and ECL, it is true ECL did not want to lose any land to development. Fairfax County and VDOT worked out a deal to swap 40 acres for the 40 acres that was taken when Rt 28 was widened to 6 lanes through that area. That way, the total acreage of ECL technically remained the same, satisfying the deed arrangement. They will have to do something similar to finish the interchange, because not building the interchange isn't an option. I have been in a bumper to bummper evening backup coming out of Dulles Airport all the way down to 66 on Rt 28 South - 1.5 hours to go 10 miles. I'm sure the sudden request for $10 million to design the final interchange is a response to that massive congestion.

Posted by: ........ ()
Date: September 23, 2011 07:45PM

20YearCvilleResident Wrote:

> Of course, they never built it, and now I see they
> have requested 10 million more to design it again.
> I guess those plans go stale after some period of
> time.

VDOT can't find the old plans. Rumor has it that someone accidentally deleted the files on their last day.

Posted by: RydellRoad ()
Date: May 02, 2013 02:51PM

Date: May 02, 2013 07:29PM

newgatedenizen Wrote:

So maybe there is a chance I will see one of those routes completed... maybe...

Date: May 02, 2013 07:33PM

youve a better chance of seeing the sun rise in the West in your lifetime, my friend..............................

Posted by: second coming ()
Date: May 02, 2013 07:37PM

You have a better chance of seeing Jesus Christ flowing robe and all with the road plans and money in his stretched out hands before that gets approval.

Date: May 02, 2013 07:56PM

C'mon... it's in a "study" phase. I'm not that old!

Posted by: Heron Dr. Overpass? ()
Date: May 03, 2013 07:04AM

What good would that do other than provide a bypass for Route 28 backups and a short cut for the illegals to more easily do their B & E jobs in the more affluent south Chantilly/Walney neighborhoods?

Date: May 03, 2013 07:13AM

Heron Dr. Overpass? Wrote:
> What good would that do other than provide a
> bypass for Route 28 backups and a short cut for
> the illegals to more easily do their B & E jobs in
> the more affluent south Chantilly/Walney
> neighborhoods?

well, it woul take more traffic away from that 28/66 interchange as well as take some off of Stringfellow

also yr moms will be able to get pleasured by more Hispanics while you are gone as well, so it's a win win for all LoLz

Posted by: V2 ()
Date: May 03, 2013 07:20AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> Heron Dr. Overpass? Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What good would that do other than provide a
> > bypass for Route 28 backups and a short cut for
> > the illegals to more easily do their B & E jobs
> in
> > the more affluent south Chantilly/Walney
> > neighborhoods?
>
>
> well, it woul take more traffic away from that
> 28/66 interchange as well as take some off of
> Stringfellow
>
> also yr moms will be able to get pleasured by more
> Hispanics while you are gone as well, so it's a
> win win for all LoLz

Syphilis is pleasurable? ok...

There's a better chance the Orange Line will be extended to Manassas than for that to be built.

Date: May 03, 2013 07:22AM

it's an itch you just cant scratch heh heh heh

...................so an orange line to Manassas, eh? talk about Hispanics getting pleasured LoLz

Posted by: A little common sense ()
Date: May 03, 2013 08:31AM

Traffic engineering school 101: Dont put in a 6 lane road leading to a major interstate and put in a left turn lane with a traffic light, duh. I hear this story about EC Lawrence but what about the other side of 66?. The BOS should grow a set, invoke imminent domain and get something done. I was told by a county traffic engineer the county doesnt like to do that. If board members had to sit in that crap every night, I would guess that backass way of thinking would change.

Posted by: Funding Woes ()
Date: May 03, 2013 09:50AM

Good luck trying to get funding for this project. It will be tied up for years as a debate of Metro versus roadway improvement. Guess which will win?

Date: January 30, 2014 09:05PM

Well, well, well... look what has showed up on the "Recommended Priority List for Funding FY 2015 - FY 2020:
Attachments:
No. 19.jpg

Date: January 30, 2014 09:09PM

And...
Attachments:
No. 17.jpg

Date: January 30, 2014 09:14PM

$54M
Attachments:
No. 3.jpg

Date: May 11, 2014 03:32PM

Posted by: 166 mil. for whining assholes? ()
Date: May 11, 2014 05:49PM

What a waste. Intelligent people wouldn't have moved out there.

Posted by: p4MbM ()
Date: May 12, 2014 07:57AM

166 mil. for whining assholes? Wrote:
> What a waste. Intelligent people wouldn't have
> moved out there.

Not really, I think people were moving farther out to still be close to the cities, but far enough from serious crime.

Posted by: clueless in sterling ()
Date: May 12, 2014 09:55AM

p4MbM Wrote:
> 166 mil. for whining assholes? Wrote:
> -----
> > What a waste. Intelligent people wouldn't have
> > moved out there.
>
> Not really, I think people were moving farther out
> to still be close to the cities, but far enough
> from serious crime.

Arlington has less crime than Sterling, Herndon, Leesburg, or Centreville. Get a clue.
You live in bumfuck

Posted by: Poo Poo and Pee Pee ()
Date: May 18, 2014 08:00AM

Give them another 20 years, and those will all be built :P

Posted by: Joke Insurance ()
Date: February 25, 2017 08:12PM

Is that Heron Drive overpass supposed to be if/where Braddock Road gets rerouted?

Posted by: 66er ()
Date: February 25, 2017 11:12PM

Joke Insurance Wrote:
> Is that Heron Drive overpass supposed to be
> if/where Braddock Road gets rerouted?

http://outside.transform66.org/learn_more/maps.asp

See the maps about halfway down for Route 28.

Posted by: Joke Insurance ()
Date: February 25, 2017 11:37PM

66er Wrote:
> Joke Insurance Wrote:
> -----
> > Is that Heron Drive overpass supposed to be
> > if/where Braddock Road gets rerouted?
>
> http://outside.transform66.org/learn_more/maps.asp
>
>
> See the maps about halfway down for Route 28.

None of them show the Heron Drive bridge.

Posted by: Hhfh ()
Date: February 25, 2017 11:56PM

Joke Insurance Wrote:
> 66er Wrote:
> -----
> > Joke Insurance Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Is that Heron Drive overpass supposed to be
> > > if/where Braddock Road gets rerouted?
> >
> >
> http://outside.transform66.org/learn_more/maps.asp
>
> >
> >
> > See the maps about halfway down for Route 28.
>
> None of them show the Heron Drive bridge.

Then it must not be happening

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.