HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Turnpike Shopping Center -- What's Happening?
Posted by: Shopping Freak ()
Date: November 08, 2009 11:09AM

Located at the corner of Route 236 and Pickett Road, you would think this little strip mall next to Fair City Mall would be doing well. Yet it appears to be shutting down. And just after Fairfax City funded a new turn lane into the center from Pickett Road.

Latest to go:

Hogan and Sons Goodyear
Blockbuster

The Blockbuster employees said it's because the rent keeps increasing, nothing else.

Already gone:

Giant
Eckard Drug (formerly Rite Aid)
Simit Bakery and Kabob
General Nutrition Center (GNC)
Honey Baked Ham
Boston Market
Virginia ABC Store
Courthouse Kitchens and Baths
Once Upon a Child
Ranger Surplus
And others I don't remember

Remaining:
Comfort and Joy Day Spa
Dollar Tree
Mattress Warehouse
Bank of America
Nail Salon
Barber Shop
Eminence Jewelers
Total Framing (formerly Total Crafts)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turnpike Shopping Center -- What's Happening?
Posted by: tubby ()
Date: November 08, 2009 03:40PM

They must want the tenants out of there for some reason. Redevelopment maybe?

You don't raise rents on retail space in a recession unless you want the tenants out of there.

Posted by: hoocoodanode ()
Date: November 08, 2009 03:42PM

Shopping Freak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Located at the corner of Route 236 and Pickett
> Road, you would think this little strip mall next
> to Fair City Mall would be doing well. Yet it
> appears to be shutting down. And just after
> Fairfax City funded a new turn lane into the
> center from Pickett Road.

> And others I don't remember
>

Sally Beauty Supply.

The same thing happened to the area where Walgreens is. There used to be a video store there (Spotlight?). I believe the owners of the property were asking way more at lease renewal than the video store owners wanted to pay, so the place closed. Then the place got a facelift. Maybe they plan on re-developing Turnpike.

Posted by: GMU Hokie ()
Date: November 08, 2009 03:47PM

Has Hogan already left?

hoocoodanode Wrote:
> Shopping Freak Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Located at the corner of Route 236 and Pickett
> > Road, you would think this little strip mall
> next
> > to Fair City Mall would be doing well. Yet it
> > appears to be shutting down. And just after
> > Fairfax City funded a new turn lane into the
> > center from Pickett Road.
>
> > And others I don't remember
> >
>
> Sally Beauty Supply.
>
> The same thing happened to the area where
> Walgreens is. There used to be a video store there
> (Spotlight?). I believe the owners of the property
> were asking way more at lease renewal than the
> video store owners wanted to pay, so the place
> closed. Then the place got a facelift. Maybe they
> plan on re-developing Turnpike.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: November 08, 2009 06:10PM

GMU Hokie Wrote:
> Has Hogan already left?

Yes. I heard they were moving into the old Firestone store across Pickett, but it's still empty with a For Lease sign on it.

Posted by: Paula ()
Date: November 08, 2009 06:14PM

The landlord was in negotiations with a large grocery store to replace Giant. The large grocery store wanted more space and more parking. Negotiations fell through. Another "high end/organic type" grocery store will be going in in the Fall of 2010. I believe that there was interest in many of the tenants moving out -- the ABC store is now located in the shopping strip behind and they moved due to increased rent. I just hope that something decent goes in....not another dollar store, tanning salon, nail salon or craft store!

Posted by: Turnpike ()
Date: November 08, 2009 11:13PM

Bloom and Harris Teeter both considered the Giant and decided not to pursue it.

Lowes made inquiries but is seeking a larger footprint within 15 minutes of there.

Hogan wants to move into the Firestone place across the street (same management company) but there are some structural issues to be addressed first.

A local youth club (BRYC?) inquired about using one of the spaces but did not follow up.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: November 09, 2009 10:12AM

That whole area is a cluster-frack. The owner of the strip probably wants to have the place leveled and merged with the larger Fair City complex.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2009 10:12AM by pgens.

Posted by: Ducky ()
Date: November 09, 2009 11:24AM

It is really hard to manage to turn in or out of that shopping center. They need to do something about access.

Posted by: Jill ()
Date: December 15, 2009 09:58AM

I received an e-mail from Comfort & Joy Day Spa which is in Turnpike Shopping Center (I'm on their mailing list). It says:

It's finally official! The Turnpike Shopping Center will be receiving a facelift and some incredible new tenants in 2010. New Tenants are to include: The Fresh Market, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Pandini's Italian Restaurant, Buffalo Wild Wings Grill and Bar, Flippin' Pizza, Elevation Burger, Palm Beach Tan, TD Bank. Existing tenants will be remaining, and we expect the announcement of additional new tenants over the course of 2010. We will keep you informed, of course. While we need to wait a little longer for our long-anticipated re-model, it will be so worth it once the shopping center is completed. Thank you so much for hanging in with us throughout these tough years. We couldn't have made it without you! Feel free to stop by the spa to view the drawing of the new shopping center.

Posted by: why me ()
Date: December 15, 2009 04:47PM

If this is true, it is great news. The Fresh Market is a wonderful upscale grocery store based out of Greensboro, NC. Much better than Trader Joes and on par, if not better, than Whole Foods.

Posted by: localshopper ()
Date: December 15, 2009 05:55PM

Sounds more like wishful thinking. All shopping centers at that intersection have outlived their lives and weren't really successful even when they were newly opened. There is so much congestion on the roads that people just want to pass through and get where they are going. You know it's bad if Giant left. Normally they would knock down the old center and build a new huge store but this didn't happen. Years ago there was a Safeway across the street that pulled out and never returned. If they can't survive I don't know how those 'white people' stores like Fresh Market plan to make it. Look at Boston Market - such a visible location you would think they would make a killing in business, but they bombed not long after opening. No smart investor would open there.

Posted by: wtfno ()
Date: December 15, 2009 06:15PM

Jill Wrote:
> I received an e-mail from Comfort & Joy Day Spa
> which is in Turnpike Shopping Center (I'm on their
> mailing list). It says:
>
> It's finally official! The Turnpike Shopping
> Center will be receiving a facelift and some
> incredible new tenants in 2010. New Tenants are
> to include: The Fresh Market, Chipotle Mexican
> Grill, Pandini's Italian Restaurant, Buffalo Wild
> Wings Grill and Bar, Flippin' Pizza, Elevation
> Burger, Palm Beach Tan, TD Bank. Existing tenants
> will be remaining, and we expect the announcement
> of additional new tenants over the course of 2010.
> We will keep you informed, of course. While we
> need to wait a little longer for our
> long-anticipated re-model, it will be so worth it
> once the shopping center is completed. Thank you
> so much for hanging in with us throughout these
> tough years. We couldn't have made it without
> you! Feel free to stop by the spa to view the
> drawing of the new shopping center.

LOL.. the irony. You have a, what sounds like, a healthy grocery store going in there.

Followed by..... mexican food take-out, Italian, wings, burgers, pizza, and more burgers.

The mothership has landed for the obese ones.

Posted by: CRE Expert ()
Date: December 15, 2009 11:41PM

i'm in that business and i can confirm thats whats happening there

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: December 16, 2009 12:00AM

I'll believe it when I see it. Fairfax has long been against building restaurants. Getting a drive thru anywhere in FFX is unthinkable.

Let's just hope the new Turnpike Shopping center is not designed by the same inbreds that did that abomination in Old Town Fairfax.

Posted by: JDouble09 ()
Date: December 19, 2009 03:13PM

Numbers Wrote:
> I'll believe it when I see it. Fairfax has long
> been against building restaurants. Getting a drive
> thru anywhere in FFX is unthinkable.
>
> Let's just hope the new Turnpike Shopping center
> is not designed by the same inbreds that did that
> abomination in Old Town Fairfax.

There going to be an Buffalo Wilds Wings @ Turnpike Shopping Center

Posted by: Mick Jagger ()
Date: December 19, 2009 03:40PM

Bringing back a Jack-in-the-Box would be nice.

Posted by: Spa Girl ()
Date: February 05, 2010 12:13PM

Just a minor correction: Courthouse Kitchen and Bath and GNC are still in the shopping center, not already gone, and staying on as far as I know. The center will definitely be re-developed, with plans to start this year. As for Blockbuster, they are closing 1,000+ stores nationwide, so several in the DC, VA, MD area have closed or are closing. The one in Fairfax Circle is still open for your shopping needs and it's less than a mile away. Ranger Surplus had two more profitable locations and decided to focus there--had nothing to do with the rent, they had a really good rent. Royal Ahold undertook a lot of restructuring of Giant supermarkets when it took over the company, and the store in Turnpike was just old and out of date. The left turn lane was restored back last fall, so access is better. There was a reference to "while people stores." That's ironic since the gentleman in charge of the redevelopment and tenant mix is Numa Jerome, Senior Vice President for East Coast Leasing with Combined Properties. He's an intelligent, visionary leader, who also happens to be African-American, who is looking to make the Turnpike Shopping Center a really unique and exciting destination for Fairfax shoppers. He can be reached on 202 736-2841 or NJerome@Combined.biz. Hang in there, this eyesore will soon be improved and give you some great restaurants and other service establishments!

Date: February 05, 2010 12:44PM

Safeway didn't pull out and never came back, it moved to the shopping center in Fairfax City off of Old Lee Hwy. Turnpike has always been a cluster fuck to get in and out of, going back to the 70s, before the traffic signal. My moms was sure a Korean Grocery Store was going to open in the old Giant. BTW that Giant store was the #3 store in Virginia if that tells you anything about how old that junk was...mang.

Posted by: JDouble09 ()
Date: February 05, 2010 01:53PM

Mick Jagger Wrote:
> Bringing back a Jack-in-the-Box would be nice.

That would be great

Posted by: Hey Spa Girl ()
Date: February 05, 2010 05:44PM

Do you work at "Day Spa"? I never see anyone going in there. The few times I peeked in there was no one at the counter. How long to you think they will stay?

Date: February 09, 2010 08:52PM

The spa's lease is very long term and the spa will stay--we love the center, even though we're as disappointed or more so than members of our community about having a half-empty shopping center--it's a shame, and we constantly hear the complaints. That said, we've been there 8 years, have a loyal clientele, and like the convenient location. Even when the center was full when we first got there, it was always easy to park, there's a Cue bus on the corner, and lots of eating establishments. Feel free to email Mr. Jerome about any establishments you'd like to see. I make suggestions all the time. They can take it or leave it, but it can't hurt to try.

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: February 09, 2010 09:53PM

They need to put in a strip club. 1320 has been at the same location for 35 years. You cant stay in business for that long without offering something the public wants.

Posted by: Moes ()
Date: April 20, 2010 09:44AM

Any more updates. Would love to see a Moe's Southwest Grill here. A Zpizza would be nice too.

Date: April 20, 2010 03:50PM

Moes,

Please contact Numa Jerome of Combined Properties about your suggestions. He's on Njerome@combined.biz or 202 736-2841. I know they're looking to make this primarily a dining destination, so your food establishments would fit in with that.

Good luck.

Date: April 20, 2010 11:42PM

Thanks, Spa Girl. I sent Mr. Jerome an email. Keep us posted if you hear about any new developments.

Posted by: good ()
Date: April 21, 2010 01:43AM

I've always said that place needed a chipotle. Also if they do add a buffalo wild wings that would be great, because the closest one is in Dulles. I actually enjoyed their wings, and they were for an awesome price. So if any of this is true, it will definitely add some good additions to this shopping center.

Posted by: Frank ()
Date: April 21, 2010 02:03AM

Will the Pickett Movie theatre and the Pickett Inn be reopening. I think the Dollar tree is just fine. I buy my toilet paper and snot tissue there all the time. The quality is better than the cheap sh8t at CVS. It's gentle for wiping.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: April 21, 2010 02:34AM

Frank Wrote:
> Will the Pickett Movie theatre and the Pickett Inn
> be reopening. I think the Dollar tree is just
> fine. I buy my toilet paper and snot tissue there
> all the time. The quality is better than the
> cheap sh8t at CVS. It's gentle for wiping.
Attachments:
wut.jpg

Posted by: the bumbler ()
Date: April 22, 2010 08:25AM

Anyone old enough to remember the hurricane back in the early 70's that let loose some tornadoes that wiped out a lot of the Turnpike shopping center then jumped 236 to destroy W.T.Woodson stadium and a number of homes across the street from Woodson

Posted by: yep ()
Date: April 23, 2010 07:15AM

Yes and it was a tornado, not a hurricane

Posted by: Area Man ()
Date: April 23, 2010 07:22AM

And it happened in the early 80's.

Posted by: Area Man ()
Date: April 23, 2010 07:26AM

Or possibly late 1979.

Posted by: Mudd ()
Date: April 23, 2010 08:50AM

Tornado was in 78-79. I was still at Frost Middle School.

Posted by: the bumbler ()
Date: April 23, 2010 12:58PM

Tubby said way back in 2005 on FFX Underground,"I remember that tornado....it was April Fool's Day 1973. Tore part of the roof off Woodson High School, destroyed a house on Sideburn Rd. A school bus parked at Pickett Shopping Center lot ended up INSIDE the ABC store.
You are correct, it was Hurricane Agnes and it was June, 1972. Actually it was the remnants of Hurricane Agnes,,,,no major winds, but an incredible amount of rain. The Barcroft dam didn't actually break, the earth around it gave way and the lake drained out around the dam. Maybe that's why it wasn't catastrophic....the deluge was slower than if the dam broke all at once....all it did was wash out a few bridges downstream like the one on Sleepy Hollow Rd. I remember driving over the temporary wooden bridge they put up."

It was Hurricane Agnes that took out Turnpike and Pickett Shopping Center's and jumped Little River Turnpike taking out the high school and the stadium and some houses on Sideburn. Ah, the good old days.
I think the tornadoe hitting Robert Frost intermediate came a few years later?

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: April 23, 2010 01:39PM

I miss ranger surplus. It was the Cat's ass.

Date: April 23, 2010 08:42PM

From the history of Woodson High School . . .

An increasing interest in the world’s ecology in the 1970’s brought the celebration of Earth Day to Woodson. For a number of years, each April, students were released from class to view and participate in varied ecology-oriented activities. However, an Earth Day celebration was not to be the most memorable event of the decade. On April 1, 1973, at about 3:00 p.m., a disastrous tornado struck the school and surrounding area. Fortunately, the incident occurred on a Sunday afternoon when there were no students in the building. The tornado caused such extensive damage that, for the remainder of the year, Cavaliers attended classes at Oakton High School. Oakton students attended morning classes and Woodson students used the building in the afternoon. Round-the-clock work crews completed repairs and The W. T. Woodson High School re-opened in the fall of 1973. Woodson, which sits in what is known as "Tornado Alley," was hit by another tornado several years later. Today, students are often reminded of Woodson's tornado history and take their twice-yearly tornado drills quite seriously.

The tornado took out WTW, not the remnants of Hurricane Agnes.

I was on the scene at Lake Barcroft where the waer went around the dam.

There was a house which had its entire backyard washed away.

I thnk Thurgood Marshall might have lived on that cul de sac.

the bumbler Wrote:
> Tubby said way back in 2005 on FFX Underground,"I
> remember that tornado....it was April Fool's Day
> 1973. Tore part of the roof off Woodson High
> School, destroyed a house on Sideburn Rd. A school
> bus parked at Pickett Shopping Center lot ended up
> INSIDE the ABC store.
> You are correct, it was Hurricane Agnes and it was
> June, 1972. Actually it was the remnants of
> Hurricane Agnes,,,,no major winds, but an
> incredible amount of rain. The Barcroft dam didn't
> actually break, the earth around it gave way and
> the lake drained out around the dam. Maybe that's
> why it wasn't catastrophic....the deluge was
> slower than if the dam broke all at once....all it
> did was wash out a few bridges downstream like the
> one on Sleepy Hollow Rd. I remember driving over
> the temporary wooden bridge they put up."
>
> It was Hurricane Agnes that took out Turnpike and
> Pickett Shopping Center's and jumped Little River
> Turnpike taking out the high school and the
> stadium and some houses on Sideburn. Ah, the good
> old days.
> I think the tornadoe hitting Robert Frost
> intermediate came a few years later?

Posted by: annoymous ()
Date: May 22, 2010 01:31AM

So any updates on what's going on here?

Posted by: Daddy ()
Date: May 22, 2010 02:07AM

Woodson kids are parking their cars there. And they are being towed at $100+ a pop.

Posted by: Emthp ()
Date: May 22, 2010 05:59AM

maybe that is where they are going to put the new wall-mart after some major redesigning of the space.

Posted by: rock ()
Date: May 27, 2010 01:50PM

walmart? I hope not. does anyone know what the timeline for redevelopment is? I don't see any work being done yet.

Date: September 12, 2010 11:07PM

Any more word on the redevelopment. I haven't seen any construction activity there yet.

Posted by: fading fast ()
Date: September 12, 2010 11:20PM

The other mall across Pickett (where Firestone was) isn't looking too great either. Heard from two other Firestone dealers that this mall raised the rent through the roof and that's why they pulled out.

Posted by: mymyheyhey ()
Date: September 13, 2010 12:55AM

ran into to fella who owns the record store at Pickett a few weeks back. he had no idea when any redevelopment of Turnpike might begin. was thinking bad economy slowed it down but i've been surprised lately by the number of construction projects going full steam ahead i.e. Metrowest, the shopping center across from Pan Am, some new housing developments in the near future for land along rt. 29 heading towards merrifield and of course the grand Mosaic project

I think turnpike and Pickett shopping center are owned by combined porperties, think Fair City Mall has different ownership?

Posted by: One-Way ()
Date: September 13, 2010 06:27AM

Almost one month to the day after Skyline Towers collapsing, the tornado was on Sunday, April 1st, 1973. I was at the indoor swimming pool at Starlit (not sure what's there now) when it came through, smashing most of the windows of the indoor pool and taking-away all of the chairs and tables that were sitting around the outdoor pool. When it was over, we went outside and looked down the hill and over Route 236 to see the bus in the ABC store and the facade of Safeway toppled over, with water spraying out of the roof.

Date: September 13, 2010 05:21PM

Barcroft Bible Church replaced Starlit.

One-Way Wrote:
> Almost one month to the day after Skyline Towers
> collapsing, the tornado was on Sunday, April 1st,
> 1973. I was at the indoor swimming pool at
> Starlit (not sure what's there now) when it came
> through, smashing most of the windows of the
> indoor pool and taking-away all of the chairs and
> tables that were sitting around the outdoor pool.
> When it was over, we went outside and looked down
> the hill and over Route 236 to see the bus in the
> ABC store and the facade of Safeway toppled over,
> with water spraying out of the roof.

Posted by: ffx ()
Date: December 17, 2010 11:56AM

What's going on here. Doesn't seem to be much activity in this shopping center. When are all those retailers set to move in?

Posted by: annan ()
Date: February 06, 2011 11:04PM

is the renovations ever going to happen?

Posted by: Jason ()
Date: February 13, 2011 05:18PM

Supposed to be completed in 2012, according to the developer's website.

Posted by: wally pip ()
Date: February 17, 2011 09:05AM

Waiting on decision by a big discount men's clothier to go into old Giant. Apparently the deal with the fancy supermarket chain fell through. If the discount store decides to go in several other stores will also locate in Turnpike. If the discounter doesn't open, uh-oh

Posted by: KhanArt ()
Date: February 17, 2011 09:57AM

I hope they give it a nice face lift with stores and restaurants that I would actually go to,the ffx city area is not too impressive.

Date: February 18, 2011 05:24PM

That's horrible! A men's discount store in place of The Fresh Market?! Ok, I don't think I care so much about how quickly this renovation is progressing. Can anyone else confirm this?

Posted by: Local Yocal ()
Date: February 19, 2011 04:32PM

Fairfax needs to advertise these flakey ideas somewhere besides the bathrooms at City-taj-ma-Hall. It continues to be an embarassment - watching years of money go down the drain.

Posted by: Oaktonite ()
Date: February 26, 2011 10:53PM

I guess The Fresh Market folks found a "better" location for their entry into Northern Va. I just went to their site and they are showing one NoVa store "coming soon" but it is in Vienna right off of Maple Avenue (Rt 123).

Posted by: heyyyyyy ()
Date: February 27, 2011 02:43AM

Don't forget Zainy Brainy got kicked too! I would love a Chipotle!!

Posted by: Bookworm ()
Date: February 27, 2011 12:36PM

Fresh Market has already started demolition on the old That's Amore site in Town of Vienna (on Branch Avenue - right off 123).

Posted by: annan() ()
Date: February 28, 2011 12:53PM

I didn't know Zainy Brainy was even on the table. It would have been a good addition. I think Combined Properties dropped the ball here. I think they are just desperate to fill spaces now. This place needs a high quality grocer as an anchor. Good tenants will follow. A men's discount store (jos a banks, men's wearhouse??) will not draw in quality tenants.

Posted by: ZB ()
Date: February 28, 2011 01:20PM

Zany Brainy went bankrupt back at the end of 2004 (I worked at that store). It wasn't kicked out nor does it even exist to reopen again.

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: February 28, 2011 01:29PM

Actually, ZB was sold to Right Start in 2001. The guys that started it went on to develop the Five Below stores.

Posted by: ZB ()
Date: February 28, 2011 04:57PM

Yes and it bought FAO as well...trying too much and expanding too fast did them in.

Posted by: annan() ()
Date: February 28, 2011 10:26PM

Ah, got it. I did notice that ZB's website was for sale. I'm hoping the deal with the men's discount store fails so that the space will be open to a potential grocery store. It'd be better if the strip mall just sits there for a few more months rather than being filled with bad tenants, thus starting the cycle of demise all over again.

Posted by: Sigmund ()
Date: February 28, 2011 11:05PM

The best case scenario is to just empty it out and tear it down. Forget about a supermarket, the numbers just aren't there. Normally when a chain like Giant, Safeway or Shoppers shuts an older smaller store a Korean / Asian / Latino grocery would pounce on it. If they won't touch it, nobody will. The traffic count is great, but people don't want to stop there. This is the same reason Harris-Teeter hurried and closed their nearly new store in Fairfax City. Hell, even Boston Market pulled out in a rush of early closings. I know the demographics of that area, but don't know Fairfax City politics. Do they have some problematic zoning rules? If it were my money, I would demolish and put up a franchise like they don't have in the region - like Sonic or something. The key would be to make money and get out quick. Gridlock would eventually doom that venture.

Posted by: Put up a parking lot ()
Date: March 01, 2011 07:05AM

Heard SB and Tisdadt want more parking across from Woodson there.

Posted by: Kamp Washingtonian ()
Date: March 01, 2011 08:07AM

Sigmund: For once, Fairfax City politics isn't the problem. The council is extatic about plans to refurbish this shopping center and when Fresh Market came to them with their plans for the store last spring, the council said "what can we do to make this happen?"

Apparently nothing.

Date: March 01, 2011 01:37PM

Maybe the access and visibility of this shopping center needs to be improved. The adjacent strip malls, Fair City and Pickett, are very busy. The area demographics would support a good grocer. Admittedly, Fresh Market did choose a better site in Vienna but I'm sure there is a strong market here as well.

Posted by: .-.-.-.- ()
Date: March 01, 2011 06:48PM

I'm confused:

What stores are coming in this shopping center?

Can I have a list?

Date: March 04, 2011 01:06PM

Yes, does anyone have a more updated list of tenants?

Posted by: .... ()
Date: March 24, 2011 05:27PM

An AAA (Triple A) car care store is moving right next to Chuck E' Cheese.

They really need to do somehting to get people going to the shopping center with the Dollar Store.

Posted by: :) ()
Date: April 07, 2011 12:59AM

Any updates on this project? List of tenants that are onboard?

Date: April 07, 2011 03:03AM

The spa in turnpike use to have a pretty picture posted in the front window showing the newly redesigned shopping center. it ain't up anymore

Date: April 09, 2011 10:19PM

Maybe they are getting ready to sell this place.

Posted by: Where Giant Used to Be ()
Date: April 10, 2011 08:43AM

this side of the Turnpike Shopping Center should be a Bass Pro or Cabelas.

Date: April 10, 2011 09:12AM

How about a Barnes and Nobles?

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 10, 2011 06:57PM

just got back from Trader Joes and in the parking lot was a classic Alfa Romeo and a silver Ferrari. Cashier told me the Ferrari is a repeat visitor.

Now you tell me, what sort of IDIOT drives a quarter million dollar car into that parking lot? Do these ppl not notice how the driving is there? It makes about as much since as bringing a wild razorback hog into a day care center.......................

Posted by: ;( ()
Date: April 11, 2011 08:42AM

If you're that loaded, you can do whatever you want. I'm sure that ferrari was his general "going out car" and his real baby is in the garage.

Date: April 11, 2011 09:10AM

;( Wrote:
> If you're that loaded, you can do whatever you
> want. I'm sure that ferrari was his general
> "going out car" and his real baby is in the
> garage.

-------------------------------
maybe

still stupid, though.

Posted by: Kardinal ()
Date: April 11, 2011 09:26AM

It's not stupid. You're acting like every time you go into that parking lot there's a collision. I'm in there at least once a week and have never been in nor have I even witnessed one. For those who are very wealthy, and God knows we have plenty of them in Fairfax, a Ferrari is like a BMW. If it gets dinged, they have the money to cover the deductible on the repair and the money for another car in the meantime.

Date: April 11, 2011 09:27AM

Kardinal Wrote:
> It's not stupid. You're acting like every time
> you go into that parking lot there's a collision.
> I'm in there at least once a week and have never
> been in nor have I even witnessed one. For those
> who are very wealthy, and God knows we have plenty
> of them in Fairfax, a Ferrari is like a BMW. If
> it gets dinged, they have the money to cover the
> deductible on the repair and the money for another
> car in the meantime.
----------------------------------------------
next time yr there, talk to the ppl who work there, who are there every day...........

Date: April 11, 2011 09:34AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> just got back from Trader Joes and in the parking
> lot was a classic Alfa Romeo and a silver
> Ferrari. Cashier told me the Ferrari is a repeat
> visitor.
>
> Now you tell me, what sort of IDIOT drives a
> quarter million dollar car into that parking lot?
> Do these ppl not notice how the driving is there?
> It makes about as much since as bringing a wild
> razorback hog into a day care
> center.......................

Uh, the same idiot that would drive it anywhere around here? Face it, ALL the roads and lots around here are equally dangerous. So what that it's a Ferrari? The owner's income/insurance probably can afford any potential repairs, just as a lower income idiot's income/insurance can cover any potential repairs on their camry or whatever. Hell, around here, it could be some diplomat that doesn't have to pay for anything anyway.

I'm sure you risk your $20K car every time you drive it....or whatever the value is. Should you just not drive a car then to avoid any possible incidents?

Date: April 11, 2011 09:40AM

Shadow Wrote:
> Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > just got back from Trader Joes and in the
> parking
> > lot was a classic Alfa Romeo and a silver
> > Ferrari. Cashier told me the Ferrari is a
> repeat
> > visitor.
> >
> > Now you tell me, what sort of IDIOT drives a
> > quarter million dollar car into that parking
> lot?
> > Do these ppl not notice how the driving is
> there?
> > It makes about as much since as bringing a wild
> > razorback hog into a day care
> > center.......................
>
> Uh, the same idiot that would drive it anywhere
> around here? Face it, ALL the roads and lots
> around here are equally dangerous. So what that
> it's a Ferrari? The owner's income/insurance
> probably can afford any potential repairs, just as
> a lower income idiot's income/insurance can cover
> any potential repairs on their camry or whatever.
> Hell, around here, it could be some diplomat that
> doesn't have to pay for anything anyway.
>
> I'm sure you risk your $20K car every time you
> drive it....or whatever the value is. Should you
> just not drive a car then to avoid any possible
> incidents?
---------------------------------------

kinda my point

car like that shouldnt be allowed within 50 miles of here

take that baby out to Faquier County, let her open up in all her glory

my crappy car can be replaced - aint noone gonna shed a tear (except for me LoLz)

it's a damn SHAME to put a work of art like that in harm's way, ESPECIALLY just to go to CVS :(

on a sidenote, there was another Ferrari I saw on 123 in Station yesterday, too - musta been the weather :)

Date: April 11, 2011 09:57AM

Shit, I see Ferrari's a lot around here. A few Lambos as well. I hear what you're saying, but time is a rare commodity, particularly with those that can afford those babies. I suspect they're using them when they can. I never see them in bad weather, so that's something I suppose.

Date: April 11, 2011 10:06AM

I'll never forget the first time I was next to a Diablo at 123/Burke Center Pkwy. Oh, just hearing that engine made me want to cry tears of joy. That dude opened her up for me when the light turned green too :)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............................

Date: April 12, 2011 04:39AM

A AAA American Auto Assoc. office is opening up in the old Firestone garage. Looks like AAA is getting into the car repair business. Might explain the ever increasing membership fees at AAA

Posted by: dot...dot... ()
Date: April 12, 2011 12:22PM

They are opening up an AAA (as said by wally pip)

I thought it would be a restaurant..lol

Posted by: Phil ()
Date: May 10, 2011 11:57AM

http://www.combined.biz/portfolio_details.php?id=222

They are going to make a ross and a TD bank and other stores also

Posted by: Rick ()
Date: May 10, 2011 06:01PM

The rent must be reeeeeeeeeeally good to move from Fair City Mall. And that map is not to scale... TD banks are huge.

Posted by: LuLu ()
Date: May 10, 2011 07:42PM

I think that's cool, I've missed having a Ross out there.

Phil Wrote:
> http://www.combined.biz/portfolio_details.php?id=2
> 22
>
> They are going to make a ross and a TD bank and
> other stores also

Posted by: MAD MAX ()
Date: May 10, 2011 08:00PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> I'll never forget the first time I was next to a
> Diablo at 123/Burke Center Pkwy. Oh, just hearing
> that engine made me want to cry tears of joy.
> That dude opened her up for me when the light
> turned green too :)
>
> Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........................
> ....

see, it was comments like these that threw me off...not many chicks really appreciate a diablo...you play'n for the other team? and yes, i agree, those f-ing X's annoy the shit out of me too

Date: May 10, 2011 08:04PM

I don't think the Ross store is 100%

Posted by: :( ()
Date: May 12, 2011 09:52AM

Sounds like a done deal to me. Ross is not my idea of a good anchor for this strip mall.

Date: June 28, 2011 02:00AM

There is a large fence around the parking lot and a truck cab in the parking lot, looks like renovations starting soon.

Posted by: Lazy Mobster ()
Date: July 06, 2011 10:46PM

There is new pad site going in the parking lot. Bank I think...

Date: August 20, 2011 12:26AM

Doe anyone have an updated list of retail tenants for this shopping center?

Posted by: dayspagal ()
Date: September 23, 2011 07:04PM

The company website shows TD Bank in the space now being constructed and Ross as the anchor.

Date: October 11, 2011 12:35AM

The Elevation Burger website indicates a chain location opening here in Early 2012?

http://www.elevationburger.com/EB.php#locations

Date: October 11, 2011 12:37AM

Also DC area yogurt chain FrozenYo indicates on their website that there will be a new location in Fairfax City this year; perhaps here at Turnpike?

Date: October 11, 2011 12:39AM

Jason Wrote:
> The Elevation Burger website indicates a chain
> location opening here in Early 2012?
>
> http://www.elevationburger.com/EB.php#locations

Here's some evidence to confirm that Elevation Burger is indeed coming to Turnpike

http://www.tcjrnl.com/project_view.aspx?tab=2&id=781560&t=Elevation+Burger

Date: November 07, 2011 11:40AM

Rite Aid is still listed on the leasing plan, perhaps re-opening soon?

Date: November 10, 2011 02:43PM

Elevation Burger, Chipotle, The Academy at Harvard Square are coming early 2012!

http://www.combined.biz/news_article.php?id=50

Posted by: wally pip jr. ()
Date: November 19, 2011 07:58AM

was in dollar tree yesterday and manager said Ross had signed agreement to locate at turnpike

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.