HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What's going on with Don &Mike Show?
Posted by: TrickiL ()
Date: November 16, 2006 09:46PM

How come this show hasn't been on. Is something wrong?? I used to listen all the time but haven't recently.

Trickie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's going on with Don &Mike Show?
Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: November 16, 2006 09:51PM

Frieda died.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 16, 2006 10:53PM

It was on the usual WJFK today around 5 while I was driving home. I don't really listen to it, but I think it comes on around 4.

Posted by: Fairfax MF---er ()
Date: November 17, 2006 09:51AM

They walked off of the show on Monday afternoon. Their phones in the new studio weren't working. They said they wouldn't do the show until WJFK got the problem fixed. It was a pretty ugly scene and they even bashed Rob and John Normand on the air. Not sure when or if they will be back.

DCRTV has some additional information if you scroll down to the 11/16 posts...

http://www.dcrtv.com/

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: November 17, 2006 09:56AM

That's all it took to get rid of them? Knock out the phones? The reason they won't do the show without them is because they only have about ten minutes of original content per show... the rest is just banter strung along by stupid phone calls and news. Without the phones they wouldn't have the filler that tricks people.

Date: November 17, 2006 10:01AM

pgens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's all it took to get rid of them? Knock out
> the phones? The reason they won't do the show
> without them is because they only have about ten
> minutes of original content per show... the rest
> is just banter strung along by stupid phone calls
> and news. Without the phones they wouldn't have
> the filler that tricks people.

I think it is more the principal of the thing. JFK is a sinking ship. The only ratings highlight the station has is Don & Mike and the management treats them like crap - even though it's probably the direct result of Don's constant bitching about everything. It's probably time for Don & Mike to retire and let the insipid wave of wannabees like Kane on Hot 99.5 take over. That should officially kill what's left of broadcast radio in this town.

Date: November 17, 2006 10:20AM

Very true... they should just move over to XM for a show since they are already based in DC. Those two could never fill two channels with content like Stern did on Sirius, but they could still do an afternoon show. But yeah, those two have made lots of money and should retire and enjoy it.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: November 17, 2006 12:11PM

Pgens, You really are as insipid as you sound. Don and mike have chemistry, talent and charisma enough to fill 4 hours of Talk radio with or without taking phone calls. They can be crass and juvenile at times but other times pull off highly entertaining radio. If you were on the air it would be 4 hours of dreck. Someone would call and you wouild immedietly back down and change your opinion. Kinda like you did on this post.

Posted by: Lurker ()
Date: November 17, 2006 01:13PM

Sometimes they go a bit overboard with bathroom humor like two little kids, but you have to them credit for impressions they do of people, those are awesome!

Date: November 17, 2006 04:01PM

ferfux Wrote:
> Pgens, You really are as insipid as you sound.
> Don and mike have chemistry, talent and charisma
> enough to fill 4 hours of Talk radio with or
> without taking phone calls.

Calling someone tasteless for NOT liking Don and Mike, especially on this board, is again a really stupid statement. Your reading and comprehension skills again shine. Are you another one of the board's 13-year-old public school students?

Posted by: § ()
Date: November 17, 2006 04:19PM

Don & Mike were real cool back in like 1985 on WAVA. Same with Chris Jagger from Q107 and those douches from B106. -§

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: November 17, 2006 05:45PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz I never knew they left........

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: November 18, 2006 03:18PM

Tasteless thy name is howard Stern. Reading and comprehension? Read my post bitch your are a comprehensive Fucknut.

Posted by: BR ()
Date: November 20, 2006 01:10PM

I figured they had just started vacation for Thanksgiving or something.

Date: November 20, 2006 04:32PM

"DCRTV hears from Michael Hughes, the general manager of WJFK-FM: "Don and Mike will be back soon." That's it. That's all he tells DCRTV in an e-mail message. The afternoon radio duo have been in rerun mode since they walked off their show a week ago Monday citing technical problems. Many have speculated that D&M have been suspended by CBS Radio, but now - at least - it appears they haven't been fired....."

Well, I wouldn't assume because the station GM says something along these lines that it should be a given that D&M will be back. Do the folks at DCRTV really think Hughes is going to tell a non-news website that D&M have been shit-canned?

Posted by: ECON2020202 ()
Date: November 20, 2006 05:27PM

What time is the factor on now?

ps: Don and Mike are gay

Posted by: jay ()
Date: November 30, 2006 06:45PM

They are no longer friends. And don't want to work with each other

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: November 30, 2006 09:22PM

This is from DCRTV...

"It makes as much sense as anything else we've heard of late: "My wife works in sales for (radio syndicator) Westwood One, and she tells me that (WJFK-FM afternooners) Don and Mike (left) have ended their business relationship with each other. Apparently their strained relationship had been an open secret within the company for awhile, and it finally boiled over when... Mike Sorce (aka Don Geronimo) walked off the show (on 11/10 and again on 11/13). The speculation is that the company is trying to rectify the situation and get them back on the air to fulfill their contract terms, but they're so pissed at each other that no one's talking".....

Keep in mind that DCRTV has also speculated that this was a publicity stunt and that D&M would be back after Thanksgiving and that D&M were taking the morning drive slot from Junkies - neither of which seem to have any merit.

While I had heard that Don was pissed that Mike was spending time on his restaurant, based on what I heard on their last broadcast, I heard nothing that would make me think that their being off the air had anything to do with Don and Mike not getting along. In fact, Don said the only ones who came into the studio ready to go were Mike and Buzz. Don did - surprisingly - bash Rob on the air.

Obviously something major happened, since D&M missed most of November. Personally I think D&M are trying to work a deal to get out of their contract and jump to satellite. I know Stern was talking to them for a while and around this time last year they implied they were talking to XM.

Posted by: jdq ()
Date: December 01, 2006 01:14AM

Everybody loves Don and Mike

Date: December 01, 2006 09:55AM

Interesting that Don bashed Rob. I wonder if the loss of his wife has caused some type of a substance abuse problem that is now manifasting itself.

Date: December 01, 2006 11:27AM

He already had substance abuse problems. But I'll bet with no wife in the house and with his kid away in college that there are no longer any boundaries protecting him from such behavior.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2006 11:28AM by pgens.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: December 01, 2006 11:31AM

He probably does drugs WITH his college-age kid. A lot more parents do crap like that than you would think.

Posted by: 356 ()
Date: December 01, 2006 12:26PM

Don needs to start blowing Mike again and all will be well in 106.7 land.

Date: December 01, 2006 01:51PM

"My wife works in sales for (radio syndicator) Westwood One"

Anybody who has worked in radio can tell you that the sales people don't know shit about anything. They are a step above the sales folks at Best Buy (only because they don't have to wear a blue shirt with a name tag). I wouldn't believe anything a radio salesperson at WJFK says, much less someone at a syndicator that may or may not still carry the show (for some reason I thought D&M ended their relationship with Westwood One a couple of years ago).

Date: December 01, 2006 02:32PM

Well I won't say much against the occasional redneck toker, but doing drugs with your kids? Somethings wrong there!

To me that's like people who bring their 4 year olds into a bar and have them sitting with all the drunks and smokers. What's a 4 year old suppose to think when she\he is sitting in the middle of people doing shots and talking about sex!

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: December 01, 2006 10:18PM

I don't think Don would ever do drugs with his son. he seems like a really good dad. I hope Don does not do that stuff any more. He does have a new girlfriend who comes over a lot so at least she will probably try to keep him from doing bad stuff.
I kinda miss them and I hope they come back soon. I know where Buzz lives. I might just go knock on his door and ask him. Do you think he would tell me or slam the door in my face???

Trickie

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: December 01, 2006 10:39PM

Well I won't say much against the occasional redneck toker, but doing drugs with your kids? Somethings wrong there!

I had a girlfriend in college whose dad would visit and hook her up with a bag of weed, it was a pretty cool thing at the time, but looking back it's pretty fucked up. And that's not the only time I've seen the parent-kid drug connection. I think this happens more than one would expect, but probably not as much around here with all the well-to-do types.

Date: December 02, 2006 01:10PM

TRICKIE Wrote:
> I know where Buzz lives. I might just go knock on
> his door and ask him. Do you think he would tell
> me or slam the door in my face???

He'd probably just call the cops and let you ask them where Don and Mike are.

Posted by: TrickiL ()
Date: December 02, 2006 03:26PM

I doubt if he would call the cops. I am always nice to him and I think he would recognize me. He is very sweet. I just love him. I like cats too so I would just ask if I could see his.

Trickie

Posted by: In the know ()
Date: December 02, 2006 06:31PM

The Sirius marketing program is built around NFL and Stern. It does not and never did include Elliot or Don and Mike. So maybe XM?

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: December 02, 2006 08:49PM

In the know Wrote:
> The Sirius marketing program is built around NFL
> and Stern. It does not and never did include
> Elliot or Don and Mike. So maybe XM?

Stern has two channels to fill with content.

Date: December 03, 2006 09:33AM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> In the know Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The Sirius marketing program is built around
> NFL
> > and Stern. It does not and never did include
> > Elliot or Don and Mike. So maybe XM?
>
>
> Stern has two channels to fill with content.

I am as big a Radio Gods fan as the next guy, but let us look at reality. Don was looking to retire from a daily radio show anyway soon.

While Howard has 2 channels to fill, budget and other constraints I predict would prevent him from making an reputable offer. I doubt D&M would do it for stock. He currently is filling the two channels with repeats and Bubba shows plus shows he can put on cheap: love doctor, Jackie the jokeman etc.

Third, Howard has never really had a liking for the duo.

Fourth, and this pains me to say, is that Don and Mike are a regional DC act. Except for Sacramento, their ratings around syndication are not stellar. Look at their syndication list. Washington, Baltimore and 12 AMers.

And I hate to be harsh, really. But look what happened a few years ago with the O&A afternoon drive. Don and Mike were unfortunately given the shaft by Ken S and their old buddy Mel K. It was wrong, very wrong and heads rolled. But then when Howard left the FM dial and CBS could have done the right thing and make D&M stars, CBS did not.

And now that Mel K is at Sirius...

I have been a Don and Mike show fanatic since WAVA and the Morning Zoo. I think that over the years they have had their ups and downs. I just can not see Sirius picking them up. Apologies for being so harsh. You asked.

BTW, I use CBS, Infinity interchangeably. I cqan never really be sure who was in charge at each point in D&M career.

Posted by: ferfux_ ()
Date: December 03, 2006 09:39AM

The last time I heard D&M on the air there were technical SNAFU's over some device called the, "zephyr". If the show isnt pitch perfect DON will blow his top and leave the show. The pressure if doing the perfect show and without freda's love and support probably got to him which is why he cant stand to do the show anymore. oh and doorstopping someone is kinda odd. better to just go to O'meara's pub and if you see Mike or anyone from the show there; subtly inquire about the show and how everyone is doing. Unless you are a neighbor and already have some personal relationship with a show member just showing up on their door is kinda stalkerish

Posted by: in the know ()
Date: December 03, 2006 10:01AM

ferfux_ Wrote:
Unless you are a
> neighbor and already have some personal
> relationship with a show member just showing up on
> their door is kinda stalkerish

If allaccess.com (and Joel Denver LIKES Don and Mike) and Radio and Records cant get the true story, what makes someone think that good ol' Buzz will spill the beans to someone showing up at his door? Especially when Buzz knows that what ever he says will wind up her and possibly DCRTV?

Date: December 03, 2006 10:06AM

Isn't Buzz' real last name elston? isn't his wife named Marsha? Looks like they live in Fairfax or Greater Fairfax.

"ELSTON ","MARSHA ","A","063"," XXXXX","FOREST ","AV","FAIRFAX 1020","VA","10/30/2005","FAIL OBEY HWY SIGN "

"ELSTON ","MARSHA ","A","063"," XXXXX","FOREST ","AV","FAIRFAX ","VA","10/30/2005","FAIL OBEY HWY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2006 10:07AM by RESton Peace.

Date: December 04, 2006 04:55PM

From DCRTV. If this is true, Don really is an ass....

D&M To Return After Holidays, Push For AM Gig Failed - 12/4 - This memo was forwarded to DCRTV. From WJFK-FM General Manager Michael Hughes to station staff: "I realize there has been much speculation with regard to 'The Don And Mike Show,' but I am happy to report that Don and Mike will be back on in afternoon drive on Free FM 106.7, WJFK, right after the holidays and for a long time to come!" Also, a CBS Radio source tells DCRTV: "(The) rumor is that Don (Geronimo) did indeed quit, unless they would give him mornings. Since that appears to not be happening, it looks like he lost the power play and is going to stay on in afternoons".....

...Didn't he f-up the AM thing before by asking for more money? What a dumbass tool.

Posted by: In the Know ()
Date: December 06, 2006 09:01AM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:

>
>
> Stern has two channels to fill with content.

Now you know "not with Don and Mike". Something I knew all along.

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: December 06, 2006 08:39PM

I think elliot is the best in town, i really like him and his stuff. It's raunchy, stupid, controversial, redneck-ish, i think he and the rest of the "class" is great.

Don and mike are hardly every funny.

Opie and anthony (on earlier on WJFK) are ok, but they are new york jackasses for the most part

Date: December 06, 2006 08:43PM

It's all garbage. NPR all the way.

Date: December 07, 2006 11:59AM

Was disabling all your radios so you could only listen to NPR part of the deal to get the fans off your back?

Date: December 07, 2006 11:07PM

Basically, yes.

Date: December 16, 2006 02:21PM

TrickiL Wrote:
> I doubt if he would call the cops. I am always
> nice to him and I think he would recognize me. He
> is very sweet. I just love him. I like cats too
> so I would just ask if I could see his.
>
> Trickie

Wow,
I can just to people's houses and ask to see their cat???? Can I bring my cat? Hi I am here to see your cats....

Posted by: Y5tnw ()
Date: August 07, 2016 10:28AM

It back right?

Posted by: 7mmYT ()
Date: August 08, 2016 10:17AM

Is this anything like MIKE&MIKE.

Posted by: Tricki's Rotted Corpse ()
Date: August 08, 2016 12:58PM

I still listen to D&M while the worms bore into my brittle bones.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.