HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Where were you when 9/11 happened?
Posted by: question of te day ()
Date: August 22, 2017 08:34PM

Where were you when 9/11 happened? I was getting ready to go to work and called in sick after that. I had a friend name Mohammed that I hanged out with a week before the incident, and after that I told him I never wanted to see him again and he was dead to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where were you when 9/11 happened?
Posted by: serious worker ()
Date: August 22, 2017 08:42PM

I was already at work, damn you're lazy

Posted by: Survivor ()
Date: August 22, 2017 09:02PM

28th floor...North Tower...I can still smell the jet fuel and the burning flesh...

Posted by: I Was Working ()
Date: August 22, 2017 09:05PM

I was working in Falls Church - about 7 miles from the Pentagon. Fortunately, our employer let us off around 10 - 10:30 a.m. so we could head home to be with our families.

Posted by: question of the day ()
Date: August 22, 2017 09:41PM

serious worker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was already at work, damn you're lazy

I 18 years old. I started working at 10 am at Safeway

Posted by: XDPKF ()
Date: August 22, 2017 10:23PM

I was getting ready for work in Bergen county, NJ when I turned on the TV with news about the North tower. A while later saw the South tower get hit live on TV. Ran outside and drove halfway to work, and from a parking lot across the Hudson, I saw the South tower go down and everything was dust and smoke at that point.

To this day that was the most depressing day of my life. I still remember sitting at a diner until 1am that night drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes. No one spoke to me and I spoke to no one.

I felt guilty and ashamed. Even though my country of origin or people of my ethnicity had nothing to do with any of it, I hung my head in shame that my beloved new home was attacked by certain scum who could have been confused for someone like me.

I couldn't go back to work for more than a year after that. And now, I am proud to say that I have been one of the many who contribute at least a little bit to safeguarding the Homeland on a daily basis.

Posted by: wally ()
Date: August 22, 2017 10:46PM

I was at a 3 day police training class about mobile meth units in a Holiday Inn in Indianapolis. I remember getting a message on my pager that a plane had hit the first tower. Didn't think too much about it. I figured it was a small plane.

A few minutes later I got the second message about another plane hitting the other tower. Other cops were starting to get the same message and everyone was starting to talk and the state police instructor got all pissed and stopped the class to confront one of the guys talking. You should've seen that instructor's face when he heard what everyone was talking about.

The class lasted about another hour, and then the instructor just decided to end it because most of the attendees were getting called back home to various parts of the state by their departments. No one was sure what all was going on and if there were going to be more attacks.

Posted by: DC, More Than You KNOW ()
Date: August 22, 2017 11:49PM

Capitol Hill, in the District of Criminals.

Heard that jet coming down the mall and doing a U-Turn above the Capitol Building.

Posted by: HR ()
Date: August 23, 2017 03:28AM

XDPKF Wrote:

> Even though my country
> of origin or people of my ethnicity had nothing to
> do with any of it, I hung my head in shame that my
> beloved new home was attacked by certain scum who
> could have been confused for someone like me.
>
> I couldn't go back to work for more than a year
> after that.

Why couldn't you go back to work?

Posted by: w7dvc ()
Date: August 23, 2017 07:14AM

I was one corridor away in the Pentagon when the plane hit. Heard the explosion and the whole office shook.

Now I work in the corridor that got hit.

Posted by: Leftist.Gorilla ()
Date: August 23, 2017 08:29AM

I was giving my boyfriend some morning head.

Posted by: Misguided losers ()
Date: August 23, 2017 08:48AM

I was was thinking that "wow, some people push back."

http://www.kersplebedeb.com/mystuff/s11/churchill.html

Posted by: Communication Fail for US ()
Date: August 23, 2017 08:56AM

w7dvc Wrote:
> I was one corridor away in the Pentagon when the
> plane hit. Heard the explosion and the whole
> office shook.
>
> Now I work in the corridor that got hit.

My friend too. He was on detail on the Army side and was returning from a meeting when he was knocked off his feet in the hallway. He went PTSD a bit afterways as he saw a couple of his co-workers trapped who didn't make it.

He was able to help 2 people get "unstuck" from their destroyed office.

He was 2nd or 3rd ring in.

I was parking for work on the Hill. The traffic came to a standstill on HOV. I conversed with the guy in the car next to me. He was also in a convertible. Traffic stopped when we heard about the 2nd plane hitting the towers on the radio.

He too thought the radio was broadcasting a commercial for a movie when we heard about the 1st plane hitting.

As I drove past the Pentagon I heard that ALL FLIGHTS WERE GROUNDED NATIONWIDE.
But a couple of minutes later I saw a passenger jet take off from National.

It wasn't until I was on the Hill, that I heard the report of the Pentagon being hit and that was AFTER hearing a Jet flying low over the Capitol building.

I was confused about this until a friend at NRC told me that they were given a demonstration based on the flight path of the plane which hit the Pentagon ...

It DID infact fly over the mall, tried to dive at the Capitol (primary target) , couldn't, so then tried at the White House (Secondary) and couldn't and so crossed over the River near the memorial bridge, circled in a large U-turn and slammed into the Pentagon.

The reason the plane could not DIVE at the Capitol Building or at the White House is because of a safety feature. The Jet's computer will not allow steep dives under a specified altitude. IN other words, they were too low for the plane to dive that steeply.

Since crossing back into gave them gradually descent, they were able to "land" the plane into the Pentagon.

Those pilots were disinterested in taking off or landing during their flight lessons and so they must have missed the instruction on this.

When I arrived in my office on the Hill on the 5th Floor, nobody knew anything and the internet was down as were the landline phones not working.

I went over to the window and right in front of my face was a thin trail of smoke just streaming by.

I got chills at that point.

Going home, went through SE, after hearing report of the 14th street bridge being closed.

The streets in SE were flooded with people laughing, drinking and celebrating.

YES REALLY!! This is what they were doing.

Posted by: Fuck off, large-ass liar ()
Date: August 23, 2017 09:10AM

Many witless douchebags have this deep-seated need to manufacture slanders against the objects of their insecure bigotry. That you are one sch douchebag is not to be doubted. The notion that any part of your report is true is laughable nonsense.

Posted by: Harold Baughs ()
Date: August 23, 2017 09:21AM

I was starting the morning shift at the Bowl America in Cleveland Ohio where I worked at the snack bar.

I saw the news coverage of the planes hitting the buildings on the TV above the shelf that held the rental bowling shoes.

Posted by: phelpsmarc ()
Date: August 23, 2017 09:42AM

I entered the offices of the Law Firm where I worked as a Paralegal on K ST at 9:00 and proceeded up the elevator to the 10th floor. As I opened the door to the office, the lady across the hall from me said a plane had just hit the World Trade Center. I immediately thought of a small plane. The thought that a commercial plane would hit it was incomprehensible and did not enter my mind. We went over to the office of a Partner in the Firm, who had a TV. We watched along with her and some other people as the Today Show with Katie Couric and Matt Lauer described the events. Then, a second plane went across the screen and hit the other Tower.

A while later, word came that the Pentagon had been hit.

Learning that a target that close had been hit, The office was in chaos. Needless to say, nobody started any work. One Secretary ran around screaming that the National Mall had been hit, which was less than ten blocks from us.

A bunch of us went up on the roof and watched the Penatagon burn.

I asked "Why do they hate us?" I hadn't really been following the news much and hadn't even heard of Osama Bin Laden at the time.

One lady, showing no empathy or concern for the people in the Twin Towers or the Pentagon, said "Well, I guessed I picked the wrong field of study. International relations will be hot now." She worked with the International Trade Group that dealt with interactions of Politicians and Corporations doing business in China.

Then, we went to the basement and watched more TV. Shortly thereafter the two towers collapsed.

About 11:00 the office closed.

I left the building and saw traffic jams all around.

I had taken the METRO, and had actually transfered from bus to METRO at the Pentagon, at around 8:30 am.

I wasn't sure the METRO would be open but walked over to Farragut West station and went down to the platform.

It was far less busy than the normal 530 pm rush.

I think a lot of people assumed METRO would be closed and didn't bother with it.

Those who tried to drive home were in store for a long, long, ride.

I hopped on the train and by 12:00 pm was at Dunn Loring station.

There was a long wait for the 401 (now 402) Fairfax Connector. After about 1 hr wait, I got on that bus, and was home in Annandale by 1:30 pm.

I walked in the Apartment and my wife, who didn't have to work that day, was watching the coverage.

Mentally Exhausted, I crashed for a few hours.

The next day I went back to work and it was kind of quiet. People were still in shock.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2017 09:50AM by phelpsmarc.

Posted by: 24060 ()
Date: August 23, 2017 05:03PM

Blacksburg.

For no reason, Comcast chose a random Tuesday morning to shut down the cable down county-wide for repairs or whatever it is they do. Internet was pretty slow because of it as people were online, but saw a story with no pictures about a plane hitting WTC. I immediately thought of the 40s when a WWII plane (decent size) hit the Empire State Building and assumed it was bad weather.

Was listening to John Boy and Billy on the radio when they announced the #2 plane, and turned my car around (was on my way to a presentation - assumed they wouldn't miss me).

I called my family in Northern Va, they were all at home and hadn't heard about it, although they had heard the Pentagon explosion but didn't think anything of it.

I knocked on a few neighbors doors and had them come out and listen to the car radio - still no tv.

Bartenders that night, heavy drinking by a lot, and not in a fun way.

Posted by: Uncle Sampson ()
Date: August 24, 2017 12:49AM

phelpsmarc Wrote:
> I entered the offices of the Law Firm where I
> worked as a Paralegal on K ST at 9:00 and
> proceeded up the elevator to the 10th floor. As I
> opened the door to the office, the lady across the
> hall from me said a plane had just hit the World
> Trade Center. I immediately thought of a small
> plane. The thought that a commercial plane would
> hit it was incomprehensible and did not enter my
> mind. We went over to the office of a Partner in
> the Firm, who had a TV. We watched along with her
> and some other people as the Today Show with Katie
> Couric and Matt Lauer described the events. Then,
> a second plane went across the screen and hit the
> other Tower.
>
> A while later, word came that the Pentagon had
> been hit.
>
> Learning that a target that close had been hit,
> The office was in chaos. Needless to say, nobody
> started any work. One Secretary ran around
> screaming that the National Mall had been hit,
> which was less than ten blocks from us.
>
> A bunch of us went up on the roof and watched the
> Penatagon burn.
>
> I asked "Why do they hate us?" I hadn't really
> been following the news much and hadn't even heard
> of Osama Bin Laden at the time.
>
> One lady, showing no empathy or concern for the
> people in the Twin Towers or the Pentagon, said
> "Well, I guessed I picked the wrong field of
> study. International relations will be hot now."
> She worked with the International Trade Group that
> dealt with interactions of Politicians and
> Corporations doing business in China.
>
> Then, we went to the basement and watched more TV.
> Shortly thereafter the two towers collapsed.
>
> About 11:00 the office closed.
>
> I left the building and saw traffic jams all
> around.
>
> I had taken the METRO, and had actually transfered
> from bus to METRO at the Pentagon, at around 8:30
> am.
>
> I wasn't sure the METRO would be open but walked
> over to Farragut West station and went down to the
> platform.
>
> It was far less busy than the normal 530 pm rush.
>
> I think a lot of people assumed METRO would be
> closed and didn't bother with it.
>
> Those who tried to drive home were in store for a
> long, long, ride.
>
> I hopped on the train and by 12:00 pm was at Dunn
> Loring station.
>
> There was a long wait for the 401 (now 402)
> Fairfax Connector. After about 1 hr wait, I got on
> that bus, and was home in Annandale by 1:30 pm.
>
> I walked in the Apartment and my wife, who didn't
> have to work that day, was watching the coverage.
>
> Mentally Exhausted, I crashed for a few hours.
>
> The next day I went back to work and it was kind
> of quiet. People were still in shock.

Nobody cares. Jesus Christ that was a long story and required a shitload of edits. My sister was in the World Trade Center, my best man (wedding in 1 month) and dad were in the pentagon. I watched it on a 13 inch television from work. Only 1/3 dead...guess I should be thankful.

Posted by: cold bro ()
Date: August 24, 2017 04:00AM

I was getting ready to check out of the wolftrap motel when I heard the news so I stayed another day instead. I walked to the Shell station and bought a case of bud light and some microwaveable pizzas. I got drunk and high while watching the news I ate pizza and passed out drunk at 4pm. That was a great day!

Posted by: Gerrygoatfucker ()
Date: August 24, 2017 08:04AM

I was at my 7-11 cheering the destruction of the country.

Posted by: Skipping class ()
Date: August 25, 2017 04:39PM

First semester of college. I was skipping class (yeah already I know) and the phone rang with a relative telling me to turn on the news. Didn't even own a cell phone yet.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.