HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
County code on balconies
Posted by: HairyHomeowner ()
Date: August 10, 2017 07:48AM

Getting ready to replace our 2nd story balcony when the cooler weather hits. Totally cantilevered right now but can't do that again bcuz some of the floor joists have rotted and we don't want to go the through the floor or ceiling route to sister the joists bcuz of the rot issue. Anyone know how strict the county is on building code for balconies/what the inspectors are like to deal with? Trying to decide if we can do this job ourselves or will need to hire a contractor. Names of any contractors you've had good experiences with would also be appreciated should we decide to go that route. Thx.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: County code on balconies
Posted by: Capt.20 ()
Date: August 10, 2017 08:03AM

Generally, the contractors like their bribes paid in unmarked, small bills...

Posted by: ct3th ()
Date: August 10, 2017 08:25AM

Decks and balconies are an area the county is very strict about. Learned this the hard way with the footers on our deck. If the joists in your balcony are rotting and they are built into the floor joists of your house take it seriously. A second story balcony collapse is really serious.

Rot needs moisture so you must have a water problem where the joists never dry out. Once rot sets in the only way to stop it is to fix the area so it stays dry and to apply a strong chemical anti-rot treatment to kill the rot that is already there.

You might think you'd save money by doing it yourself but in the long run the safest route is to hire someone who does this on a regular basis so you get it done right the first time and don't have to go several rounds with the county or create a dangerous situation.

Posted by: Cursed Entropy ()
Date: August 10, 2017 08:33AM

You're saying that the deck beams are an extension of the house's floor joists? Then you will probably need to pull the siding and go into the ceiling as well to sister new dimensional lumber. The biggest deck/balcony errors involve using screws instead of bolts. Just get any competent builder to do it.

Posted by: Hai ()
Date: August 10, 2017 08:55AM

Cursed Entropy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You're saying that the deck beams are an extension
> of the house's floor joists? Then you will
> probably need to pull the siding and go into the
> ceiling as well to sister new dimensional lumber.
> The biggest deck/balcony errors involve using
> screws instead of bolts. Just get any competent
> builder to do it.

Yes. The deck beams are an extension of the house's floor joists. Pulling siding and going in through the ceiling... really wishing we had done this earlier before the rot got as far as it did.

Date: August 10, 2017 08:56AM

That last post was me. Guess I was too busy dealing with my heart attack at the costs coming at me to type my full name.

Thx for the responses. Anyone had a good experience with a contractor?

Posted by: Coupon cutter ()
Date: August 10, 2017 09:03AM

Do what the messicans do...just do it yourself and fuck the county.

They do it every day.

You'd be a goddamn fool for getting a permit in this county.

Posted by: home project hound ()
Date: August 10, 2017 11:21AM

Cursed Entropy Wrote:
> builder to do it.

Bolt extensions?

Posted by: 9c4p4 ()
Date: August 10, 2017 11:39AM

Until the balcony collapses and your homeowners insurance says you are not covered. Or until you go to sell the property and the building inspector nixes the deal because you a non-permitted balcony built. One reason those Mexican improved homes are sold through Mexican realtors to Mexican buyers is that too many of the sales would fall through if they were done through conventional channels.

Not saying you should run out and get permits whenever a job is done. Rather saying that on big jobs or jobs where there is the potential for something major to go wrong it would be stupid not to get the necessary permits.

Posted by: DoneIt ()
Date: August 10, 2017 11:53AM

Depends on your skill set on whether or not you can do the job. You will require a permit - the county has a PDF download for Deck Construction requirements, which apply to the job you describe. If you follow the deck instructons you will pass the inspections (I think there will be three: post hole, header attachment, and final if memory serves).

ALW Home Improvements Inc in Springfield does excellent work, but they are not cheap!

Posted by: It's not that complicated ()
Date: August 10, 2017 11:57AM

home project hound Wrote:

> Bolt extensions?

Yes, With carriage bolts, you would overlap-attach the fresh dimensional lumber to the (presumably) healthy joists. The weight on the far side of the balcony is borne by the columns (with footers). The house side the attachment holds up that side of the balcony and prevents it from pulling away from the house. You could even overbuild by sistering two beams for each floor Joist, bolting them to make a beam "sandwich".

Posted by: Plumpers - Get off the deck! ()
Date: August 10, 2017 12:16PM

It's not that complicated Wrote:
> home project hound Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > Bolt extensions?
>
>
> Yes, With carriage bolts, you would overlap-attach
> the fresh dimensional lumber to the (presumably)
> healthy joists. The weight on the far side of the
> balcony is borne by the columns (with footers).
> The house side the attachment holds up that side
> of the balcony and prevents it from pulling away
> from the house. You could even overbuild by
> sistering two beams for each floor Joist, bolting
> them to make a beam "sandwich".

Just keep your fat assed wife off of the deck.....

Posted by: Nigger Neighbor ()
Date: August 10, 2017 12:23PM

HairyHomeowner Wrote:
> Getting ready to replace our 2nd story balcony
> when the cooler weather hits. Totally
> cantilevered right now but can't do that again
> bcuz some of the floor joists have rotted and we
> don't want to go the through the floor or ceiling
> route to sister the joists bcuz of the rot issue.
> Anyone know how strict the county is on building
> code for balconies/what the inspectors are like to
> deal with? Trying to decide if we can do this job
> ourselves or will need to hire a contractor.
> Names of any contractors you've had good
> experiences with would also be appreciated should
> we decide to go that route. Thx.

If you don't have Nigger Neighbors, do it yo self, SISTER and fix cause of rot.

Posted by: CollapseEqualsLawsuit ()
Date: August 10, 2017 03:00PM

I'd get a permit no matter what but especially because of the rot issue. I've always found the county to be pretty reasonable. I may not like the extra work they require but I wouldn't want people splattered on my lawn either.

Since you are aware of the rot if the balcony were to collapse you could be sued and lose the entire house.

Makes more sense to pay to have the rot issue fixed and the balcony constructed properly than to risk it.

Posted by: do it yourselfer ()
Date: August 10, 2017 03:29PM

If there's already a deck there, and you're just "updating" it, fuck the county.

Updating may or may not mean completely replacing it.

Date: August 10, 2017 04:56PM

do it yourselfer Wrote:
> If there's already a deck there, and you're just
> "updating" it, fuck the county.
>
> Updating may or may not mean completely replacing
> it.

Thanks for the informative posts. Have looked into it more today and will pull a permit and hire a contractor. The county has a section on collapse. No thx 2 that. I googled collapse and lawsuits and like another poster pointed it we are aware of the rot so it's got to be dealt with.

Wish me luck and that it's a smaller job than it appears it's gonna be.

Posted by: ccuue ()
Date: August 10, 2017 08:29PM

The permit fee is less than the fine for not filing one and your right about being sued if it falls on anyone or with anyone on it

Posted by: can't i leave her? ()
Date: August 10, 2017 10:23PM

> Totally cantilevered right now but can't do that again bcuz some of the floor joists have rotted and we don't want to go the through the floor or ceiling route to sister the joists bcuz of the rot issue.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Posted by: cant i leave her ()
Date: August 10, 2017 10:29PM

fix the rot, you have to anyway or your house may be unstable or, yuk, unhealthy.

(yes, you'd have to tear out either the ceiling or maybe floor, and likely need a contractor to help with some of it if not just planning)

p p p p p

ok so cantileaveher from the roof and hang it from there :) (smart ass!)

p p p p p

in new orleans they use thick wrought iron for that but also to hold up very heavy (ie stone) roof gutters

decking wood, not so good (but plausible), however designs approved definitely have changed and will vary possibly even since the last approved one

Posted by: rotten ()
Date: August 11, 2017 08:34AM

cant i leave her Wrote:
> fix the rot, you have to anyway or your house may
> be unstable or, yuk, unhealthy.

+1

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: August 11, 2017 10:26AM

You must cut the rotted joists back until you reach SOLID wood. Next you have to have NEW joist sections BOLTED to the existing floor joists.

Posted by: Buddy ()
Date: August 11, 2017 11:24AM

Cantilevered decks are often a pain in the ass over time. If you've got one you should regularaly use a ladder to examine the cantilevered joists at their point of penetration through the wall. Probe the joists with a screwdriver or awl. Look for gaps. Note the location of the cantilever so you can check inside your home for evidence of water damage or a bump in the floor. Learn from the OPs mistake.

Posted by: outsidethebox ()
Date: August 11, 2017 11:59AM

Only done a limited amount of repair work myself but what about converting from cantilever to free standing? I think most countys require beams at the house and far ends of the balcony and you still want to treat the rot before slapping up the ribbon board so you dont seel it into your house but it might be a cheaper option then ripping out your ceiling. Some of the guys that have posted can probably comment better than me but it could be another way to handle your problem.

Posted by: BerkleyNuffSaid ()
Date: August 11, 2017 01:47PM

I understand why you're asking about the county code but do yourself a big favor and google the Berkley collapse.

Lots of pieces to the balcony puzzle. Materials used, building techniques, age of home/balcony, proper flashing around entry ways to the balcony, etc., etc. etfuckingc.

As others have said, lawsuits are nothing to play around with, especially if you plan to have non family members on this balcony at any point. Kids and their friends or overnight guests, for example.

If you can afford it I'd say let an experienced contractor handle the rebuild since the rot issue is a BIG factor.

Even if you go the contractor route educate yourself on the potential hazards so that you can oversee the job effectively.

Posted by: iBElikeDUH ()
Date: August 11, 2017 04:32PM

9c4p4 Wrote:
>Or until you
> go to sell the property and the building inspector
> nixes the deal because you a non-permitted balcony
> built.

Not to ask a stupid questions but would the sale of a house seriously fall through because of non permitted work in Fairfax Co? Never knew they pulled old permits on things like balconies or decks. Any realtors out there know if this is legit?

Posted by: Yes it can ()
Date: August 11, 2017 04:55PM

iBElikeDUH Wrote:
> 9c4p4 Wrote:
> -----
> >Or until you
> > go to sell the property and the building
> inspector
> > nixes the deal because you a non-permitted
> balcony
> > built.
>
>
> Not to ask a stupid questions but would the sale
> of a house seriously fall through because of non
> permitted work in Fairfax Co? Never knew they
> pulled old permits on things like balconies or
> decks. Any realtors out there know if this is
> legit?

It can
I have been a part of home inspections were you had a good idea that unpermitted work was done
Records get pulled and hey no permit
Then it's a part of negotiations of value, same as after many home inspections

From what i have seen people do a lot of decks, retaining walls, basement finishing without permits

The county can get pretty crapy about it.

Posted by: moldy manor ()
Date: August 11, 2017 08:55PM

HairyHomeowner Wrote:

I would be just as concerned about the rot issue as I would be about the county permit process. Without pulling up a floor or pulling down a ceiling there is no way for you to determine the full extent of the rot and how much mold you could potentially be dealing with in your home. There are many reputable companies that will come out and give a professional opinion on how to treat the mold. Start there or you could be dealing with something just as hazardous as a balcony collapse. This too could significantly affect the future value of your home when you decide to sell. Treating for mold will cost far more five years from now than it will today. Particularly if you attempt to seal the area where the mold is located prior to adequate treatment of the mold. Step 1: address the rot issue.

Posted by: Pbandj ()
Date: August 11, 2017 09:20PM

Dude, Just don't hold a baby over the edge and yell, "Ooo, look at Blanket"... You'll be fine.

Posted by: bpumc ()
Date: August 12, 2017 09:11AM

HairyHomeowner Wrote:
> cantilevered right now but can't do that a

You just posted on a public forum that you are aware of the rot. Don't try to do a patch job where it's concerned or any future collapse due to structural deficiences is going to really hit you in the wallet. I'm pretty sure they can determine who posts what here.

Posted by: Cheep bastard ()
Date: August 12, 2017 09:28AM

Are you the same OP about not buying the $25 fishing license?

If people can possibly be injured from your balcony, this ain't sum DIY job.

You'll pay out the ass but at least you transferered any liability to the construction crew, or, they did a great job and there is never an injury.

If you're not the fishing license Jew, my apologies.

Posted by: ibelieveicanfly ()
Date: August 12, 2017 04:17PM

Cheep bastard Wrote:

>
> If people can possibly be injured from your
> balcony, this ain't sum DIY job.
>
> You'll pay out the ass but at least you
> transferered any liability to the construction
> crew, or, they did a great job and there is never
> an injury.

^THIS!

Don't be foolish and try to do this yourself or half ass it by hiring someone who doesn't have experience with balconies. Check the references of anyone you hire. Its not difficult to do since you obviously have a computer. Call it drama if you wish but this could be a life and death matter. That's not anything to take chances with. Think of the county as a source of information. Get them to come out and take a look at what you are dealing with and they will give you the best method to treat it and rebuild. Think of it as free advice. They don't send out the same people to inspect a balcony as they do when someone complains that a neighbors grass is to high. They will send someone with experience. Why not use that to your advantage?

Posted by: Allen ()
Date: August 13, 2017 04:59PM

HairyHomeowner Wrote:
>
> deal with?

Had 2 deal with them twice over the 11 years and had 1 ass and 1 decent guy. Both by the book types on code but 1 willing 2 give you some extra time. All depens on which 1 u get. Last time for us was 4 years ago, not sure the turn over rate at the co.

Posted by: county my ass: illegal labor fuk ()
Date: August 13, 2017 09:11PM

Cheep bastard Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------->

%100 if you order work in fx co you'll get illegals/hispanics who are not certified (the company owner is only "affilited" with who is certified)

sharon bull-o-va gov democrats started doing this in the 90's, it was on the radio and people were outraged, but due to school jobs and illegals - they got "voted in"

HILLARY FOR PRISON 2016

-----------------------------

do you need a permit? not if you replicate (fix) the existing.

every job is a DiY job in fx co because there are no skilled workers here - they are all frauds - every time my family gets work done i spend more time fixing their mistakes than to do the job from scratch

democrat judges won't back labor - they will fuck you over

if you really want to "buy work" you'll likely have to investigate the company and order it from out of town (like west virginia? pennsylvania? carolina? southern VA?)

if you stand on something sharon bull-o-va hispanics built your the sucker, your the one breaking laws and codes and risking your life

> Totally cantilevered right now but can't do that again bcuz some of the floor joists have rotted and we don't want to go the through the floor or ceiling route to sister the joists bcuz of the rot issue.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Posted by: stfuuuu ()
Date: August 14, 2017 07:13AM

Would never try to put a cantilevered balcony on my house though I've built several decks myself. Two different animals. Don't listen to the nut with the big font and big mouth. Hire a reputable contractor to do the same thing the person told you about the county. They will at least lay out step by step what needs to be done in their estimate and that will let you know the scope of the job, which I bet is more than you want to do yourself, even if you were capable of it. This is a huge liability and when the county comes out to do their inspections they are going to be tough. Be smart.

Posted by: llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll ()
Date: August 14, 2017 05:02PM

HairyHomeowner Wrote:

not only are they hard assed about balconies but if you have other violations you may get shit for those to so look around before you call

Posted by: bobbybuilder ()
Date: August 14, 2017 10:22PM

Dealt with them on my deck. It was a replacement but making substantial alterations and my understanding was a permit was required. Inspector was thorough but everything was laid out in the application process (I had to submit plans prior to being approved) so I knew what I had to do to pass prior to. Footers were my nemesis but I don't like to dig. You will be fine. Just get it done before the ground hardens.

Posted by: COCODE ()
Date: August 15, 2017 11:31AM

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Wrote:
> not only are they hard assed about balconies but
> if you have other violations you may get shit for
> those to so look around before you call

Don't even bother lying to them about anything. Most have been at this a long time and have heard it all. Stay on good terms with your neighbors too. We have a couple here who keep a book on people and report them as if it's entertainment to them.

Posted by: King ? ()
Date: August 15, 2017 10:41PM

LetsRock Wrote:
> You must cut the rotted joists back until you
> reach SOLID wood. Next you have to have NEW joist
> sections BOLTED to the existing floor joists.

Is this a county requirment or just the right way to do the job?

Posted by: bobbybuilder ()
Date: August 16, 2017 07:52AM

King ? Wrote:
> LetsRock Wrote:
> -----
> > You must cut the rotted joists back until you
> > reach SOLID wood. Next you have to have NEW
> joist
> > sections BOLTED to the existing floor joists.
>
> Is this a county requirment or just the right way
> to do the job?

The answer is both. Rotted wood isnt safe no matter what you do to it. He is saying that even if you treat the rot since the wood is already damaged its not sound. Rot changes the wood. Cant undo that.

Posted by: FURBY22 ()
Date: August 16, 2017 04:52PM

Cursed Entropy Wrote:
> builder to do it.

gregvancom has a bunch of videos on the subject. head to youtube to get an idea

Posted by: kev ()
Date: August 16, 2017 05:06PM

How far from the house does it cantilever? If its not to far, less than a few feet for example, you could have a iron welding shop make a balcony for you. Then it bolts to a ledger board (with the side rails also mechanically attached to the house too). This is preferred over joists that cantilever (which are connected to the interior of the house and more difficult to make weather tight). As your discovering, if some of the joists become rotted you have to tear apart the framing into the house structure. With cantilevered wood joists there's a ration where the joist needs to be 3x-4x tied into the house vs. extending from the house (ex: a 4' balcony needs a joist that's ~12' tied into the house interior framing). Could be wrong on the exact amount but its something in that neighborhood.

With a steel balcony, there's a water proof rubber membrane behind the ledger (or copper or galvinized metal).

The county will want to see drawings. Probably with a stamp from an engineer if your not following the Typical Deck Details specs from the county. Then again, thats a deck (supported by posts) and NOT a balcony.

Between the construction and design, a steel balcony will cost more. But its also more bullet proof.

Date: August 16, 2017 08:12PM

kev Wrote:
> How far from the house does it cantilever? If its
> not to far, less than a few feet for example, you
> could have a iron welding shop make a balcony for
> you. Then it bolts to a ledger board (with the
> side rails also mechanically attached to the house
> too). This is preferred over joists that
> cantilever (which are connected to the interior of
> the house and more difficult to make weather
> tight). As your discovering, if some of the joists
> become rotted you have to tear apart the framing
> into the house structure. With cantilevered wood
> joists there's a ration where the joist needs to
> be 3x-4x tied into the house vs. extending from
> the house (ex: a 4' balcony needs a joist that's
> ~12' tied into the house interior framing). Could
> be wrong on the exact amount but its something in
> that neighborhood.

Finally got back to read my thread. Thx for all the info. Existing balcony is 4 feet. Was hoping to extend to 5 or more to get more room up there but don't want to deal with having to get a structural engineer out here to approve the job. Haven't been to the county yet bcuz we are still considering changing to a free standing deck with footers. Also need to get a professional out here to treat the rot. Shared a bit of our situation at work and have heard horror stories of high dollar mold issues. My wallet is already feeling the pain.

Posted by: flyfisher ()
Date: August 17, 2017 05:04PM

Not to be an ass dude but I think you're screwed already with the rot and if you try to extend the length you've got to deal with the additional weight. Get someone in there to give you an expert opinion. Like the other posters told ya a lawsuit will come out more expensive in the end.

Posted by: FURBY22 ()
Date: August 18, 2017 08:43AM

flyfisher Wrote:
> already with the rot and if you try to extend the
> length you've got to deal with the additional
> weight.

like i said gregvancom on youtube will tell you more then you could find out most places. other stuff there to but try his. he walks you past the steps with clear pics. used his vids to do lots of plumbing work myself

Posted by: TT99 ()
Date: August 18, 2017 03:37PM

Cheep bastard Wrote:
>
> You'll pay out the ass but at least you
> transferered any liability to the construction
> crew, or, they did a great job and there is never
> an injury.

we have a winner

Posted by: redny ()
Date: August 18, 2017 08:50PM

I had a small leak that I didn't detect for some time and ended up with a mold situation. Property Solutions was on the higher end of the estimate scale but did a fantastic job. I highly recommend them.

Posted by: wfthj ()
Date: August 18, 2017 09:40PM

iron ibeams in a good foundation ALWAYS works

Date: August 21, 2017 08:17PM

flyfisher Wrote:
> Not to be an ass dude but I think you're screwed
> already with the rot and if you try to extend the
> length you've got to deal with the additional
> weight. Get someone in there to give you an
> expert opinion. Like the other posters told ya a
> lawsuit will come out more expensive in the end.

Not 2 be an ass but I already said we were going to get a pro out here.

Posted by: flyfisher ()
Date: August 23, 2017 04:23PM

Back up Hairy Harry whatever your name is. You said you were getting a pro for the mold. Didn't see where you said you were getting a pro replace the balcony and like people have told you man, your foundation sux so you need someone who knows what they are doing to make this things safe. Dont get all shitty with me bcuzzzzz you let your balcony rot

Posted by: MATHMAN ()
Date: August 24, 2017 09:58AM

Another thread takes a turn towards the nasty...

OP I think what people are telling you is that the project would be difficult for anyone without experience and the rot issue brings it to a new level.

Extending it creates even more challenges. The 1/3:2/3 Rule will keep you in known territory until your cantilevered length gets beyond six feet in wood, 8 to 9 feet in concrete, or 10 feet in steel.

Beyond that, you need something special. Diagonal supports at least, or possibly high-strength materials and truss-work.

I would not try that myself. From the location of your post and the predictions for this year's winter weather you also need to consider snow load, ice and any additional weight from items you plan to place on the balcony.

Relax. Why not split the project in steps? Deal with the rot now, seal up the area and put in the balcony next spring? Yes, it involves waiting but it splits up the hit to your budget.

Posted by: dmhpc ()
Date: August 24, 2017 04:10PM

MATHMAN Wrote:
> Another thread takes a turn towards the nasty...
>
> OP I think what people are telling you is that
> the project would be difficult for anyone without
> experience and the rot issue brings it to a new
> level.
>
> Extending it creates even more challenges. The
> 1/3:2/3 Rule will keep you in known territory
> until your cantilevered length gets beyond six
> feet in wood, 8 to 9 feet in concrete, or 10 feet
> in steel.
>
> Beyond that, you need something special. Diagonal
> supports at least, or possibly high-strength
> materials and truss-work.
>
> I would not try that myself. From the location of
> your post and the predictions for this year's
> winter weather you also need to consider snow
> load, ice and any additional weight from items you
> plan to place on the balcony.
>
> Relax. Why not split the project in steps? Deal
> with the rot now, seal up the area and put in the
> balcony next spring? Yes, it involves waiting but
> it splits up the hit to your budget.

agree!!! relax and split up the job/costs

Posted by: gAMEoFdRONES ()
Date: August 24, 2017 08:49PM

HairyHomeowner Wrote:

THEY WILL BE VERY STRICT. THEY WILL REVIEW YOUR INFO BEFORE COMING OUT WHICH MEANS THEY WILL KNOW THE AGE OF YOUR HOME AND YOUR BALCONY AND THE DATE OF ANY UPDATES.

SINCE THE ROT IS THROUGH THE JOISTS THE BALCONY HAD TO BE EITHER OLD OR POORLY BUILD IN THE FIRST PLACE. GET AND KEEP DETAILED RECEIPTS FROM THE GROUP YOU GET TO TREAT THE ROT IF ITS BAD ENOUGH TO COMPROMISE THE JOISTS EXTENDING INTO YOUR HOME.

FOR ALL THE SHIT THE COUNTY GETS MOST OF THE INSPECTORS ARE CHILL BUT DON'T APPRECIATE BEING LIED TO AND TEND TO BECOME ASSHOLES IF YOU DISRESPECT THEIR KNOWLEDGE.

I FEEL YA ABOUT THE HIT TO YOUR CASH BUT DON'T PILE COUNTY FINES ON TOP OF WHAT YOUR ALREADY SHELLING OUT.

Posted by: cutting corners ()
Date: August 25, 2017 05:25PM

do you really want to cut corners here? On an f--ing balcony? It's not one of those items you cut corners on. If you can't afford it then don't do it or take it down.

Date: August 26, 2017 07:58AM

cutting corners Wrote:
> do you really want to cut corners here? On an
> f--ing balcony? It's not one of those items you
> cut corners on. If you can't afford it then don't
> do it or take it down.

DONT KNOW ABOUT THE OP BUT HAVE SOME NEIGHBORS WHO CUT CORNERS ON EVERYTHING AND THINK THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH IT, DONT CARE IF IT MAKES A DANGEROUS SITCH FOR ANYONE ELSE. ID CALL THE COUNTY IF I SAW THEM HALF ASS A ROTTING FOUNDATION BALCONY

Posted by: ....6 ()
Date: August 26, 2017 03:42PM

gAMEoFdRONES Wrote:> FOR ALL THE SHIT THE COUNTY GETS MOST OF THE
> INSPECTORS ARE CHILL BUT DON'T APPRECIATE BEING
> LIED TO AND TEND TO BECOME ASSHOLES IF YOU
> DISRESPECT THEIR KNOWLEDGE.

maybe game sent his drone to take pics of ur rot?????

Posted by: t3kgd ()
Date: August 27, 2017 12:40PM

Sears sells deck and balcony plans.

Date: August 27, 2017 02:54PM

t3kgd Wrote:
> Sears sells deck and balcony plans.

I THINK OP IS NEEDS MORE THEN THAT. ROTTED FLOOR JOISTS MAKE THSI A BIGGER THEN A SEARS PLAN JOB.

Posted by: Levoyin ()
Date: August 28, 2017 12:50PM

HairyHomeowner Wrote:

Right there. 2nd story. I would never turn in a neighbor for tall grass or some shit but a 2nd story balcony is serious n nothing to play with and Id call the county if I saw my neighbor half ass it. If there was rot I bet your neighbors know. Thats not on them man, its on you. Fix it n make it safe or deal with the county making you fix it or a flippin lawsuit if you hurt someone. Why cant people just do the right thing.

Posted by: GEUPT ()
Date: August 28, 2017 03:15PM

Why cant people just do the right thing.

bcuz some dont want to pay their taxes on the upgrade

Posted by: Mommmmm ()
Date: August 29, 2017 02:33PM

Here is what you do. Call the county. You are calling "for a friend" or you are calling "about a neighbor." Don't speak to just anyone.Make certain you ask for an inspector who deals with decks.

Detail the situation to them. If they ask for a name or address I would fabricate one but keep the details accurate. Yes, include the rotting boards the friend or neighbor has. If you own a detached house use that. If you own a townhome use that.Give accurate specs on your deck.

What you will get is an accurate (more than anyone on this board can provide) response about what the county will do and what they will require you to do.You will know exactly what to do and what penalties will be imposed if you do not do it.Problem solved.

Mom

Posted by: bustaddddd ()
Date: August 31, 2017 06:56PM

Mommmmm Wrote:
> Here is what you do. Call the county. You are
> calling "for a friend" or you are calling "about a
> neighbor." Don't speak to just anyone.Make certain
> you ask for an inspector who deals with decks.
>
> Detail the situation to them. If they ask for a
> name or address I would fabricate one but keep the
> details accurate. Yes, include the rotting boards
> the friend or neighbor has. If you own a detached
> house use that. If you own a townhome use
> that.Give accurate specs on your deck.
>
> What you will get is an accurate (more than anyone
> on this board can provide) response about what the
> county will do and what they will require you to
> do.You will know exactly what to do and what
> penalties will be imposed if you do not do
> it.Problem solved.
>
> Mom

Some county lines do have caller id. Maybe mom doesn't always know best.

Posted by: evycu ()
Date: September 01, 2017 09:37AM

Mommmmm Wrote:
> Here is what you do. Call the county. You are
> calling "for a friend" or you are calling "about a
> neighbor." Don't speak to just anyone.Make certain
> you ask for an inspector who deals with decks.
>
> Detail the situation to them. If they ask for a
> name or address I would fabricate one but keep the
> details accurate. Yes, include the rotting boards
> the friend or neighbor has. If you own a detached
> house use that. If you own a townhome use
> that.Give accurate specs on your deck.
>
> What you will get is an accurate (more than anyone
> on this board can provide) response about what the
> county will do and what they will require you to
> do.You will know exactly what to do and what
> penalties will be imposed if you do not do
> it.Problem solved.
>
> Mom

fucking democrat psychopath begins by telling you to lie

guaranteed way to fuck yourself over and some other people along the way

fucker should be arrested

Posted by: yccyh ()
Date: September 01, 2017 09:38AM

t3kgd Wrote:
> Sears sells deck and balcony plans.

you could actually use money to buy plans instead of trying to use government to get free plans

Posted by: $$$$$$$ ()
Date: September 01, 2017 12:01PM

yccyh Wrote:
> you could actually use money to buy plans instead
> of trying to use government to get free plans
>

Since OP has a rotting balcony does it sound to you like he is the kind of person with much money? Most people who are well off take care of the major things in their lives. I would consider you home to be the primary possession for most people.

Posted by: Pho19744 ()
Date: September 03, 2017 09:28PM

HairyHomeowner Wrote:

have u had a pipe burst or similar event or is the rot just from age and moisture build up over time? if its the 1sst u can try to get ur insurance co to help out. if its the 2nd ur out of luck.

Posted by: Pbandj ()
Date: September 03, 2017 09:43PM

^^ guys, read the fucking thread before commenting.

Posted by: Pho19744 ()
Date: September 04, 2017 05:58AM

Pbandj Wrote:
> ^^ guys, read the fucking thread before
> commenting.

read it. where do they say where the rot is from?

Posted by: WYB36 ()
Date: September 04, 2017 06:22AM

With regard to sistering beans, you can't use deck or drywall screws to join the beams. They can't handle the sheer load. You need to lag bolt, nail with some particular size (16 penny?) or use an engineered screw. I believe construction adhesive is suggested as well. I forget the nailing pattern as well. Google it.

Posted by: HHJXB ()
Date: September 04, 2017 10:58AM

Can we please kill this thread, bottom line is:

1) There are serious liability issues
2) The OP does not have the skill, tools or knowledge to do the job
3) The OP must hire a contractor to do it right
4) The OP must make sure the job is permitted/inspected by the county

Posted by: DRAKEV ()
Date: September 04, 2017 04:07PM

HHJXB Wrote:
> Can we please kill this thread, bottom line is:
>
> 1) There are serious liability issues
> 2) The OP does not have the skill, tools or
> knowledge to do the job
> 3) The OP must hire a contractor to do it right
> 4) The OP must make sure the job is
> permitted/inspected by the county

POOR HAIRY. THEY WANT YOUR THREAD DEAD. YOU GOT 4 THINGS TO DO. GET ON IT BRO.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.