HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Parking Citation - 82-5-26(b) (Inspection)
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: September 29, 2006 12:10PM

I received a parking violation - Invalid/No State Inspection (82-5-26(B)) while parked in my appartment complex. How is this possible?

I got a car for free (it is used about once per month). I got plates for it at the DMV and they told me I needed to get it inspected. I took it to a Mechanic, they inspected it and told me (because my Check Engine Light and Airbag Light were on and because I had a leaky exhaust) that I would have to pay to get it fixed (the estimated the charges to be about $700). Because My Father-in-Law is a mechanic and because I don't have $700 to sink into a car that is barely used, I wanted to take the car to him to get fixed, therefore I refused the repairs and my car failed inspection. 3 days after I got my car inspected I get this ticket on my window saying I had to pay $40 for not having an inspection sticker.
My question to you is how can I get this ticket if the car was parked in front of my house at my appartment complex - I wasn't driving the car. I can understand if this is a metro lot or somewhere away from my houes, but the car is at my house - proof that I am NOT driving it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Parking Citation - 82-5-26(b) (Inspection)
Posted by: Price ()
Date: September 29, 2006 12:15PM

Your car most likely was parked on public street, that's why. Park it in private garage. Or better have it fixed.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: September 29, 2006 12:54PM

Exactly. When I lived at an apartment complex the cops had no problem going through there and ticketing things. Private garage it, or if you can't afford that (which I doubt if you can't afford to fix it) then sell it.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 29, 2006 12:58PM

Private garage it

If you choose the above, make sure you can park an uninspected vehicle in that garage. I park in a private garage, and one of the rules is that the car must have a valid state inspection, and they enforce it. It seems strict, but I think it's to prevent people from just leaving their junkers sitting in there.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: September 29, 2006 01:23PM

But thats what I am saying - this is a parking lot, spaces in front of my apartment. This is well off the main road, plus I think I was targeted as it happend 3-4 days after I had it inspected. Previously, the car had been sitting there for like 3 weeks (again - I don't drive it often)

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: September 29, 2006 01:35PM

Again, the cops will go through any lots they want, apartment complex off the main road or not. If it was ticketed 3-4 days after it was inspected, then your car should have an inspection failure sticker on it. If it does, you have (I believe) fifteen days to have violation corrected. Throw a newspaper on the windshield to evidence the date and take a picture of it and the failure sticker, then bring it to court to contest it saying you were within the fifteen days to get it fixed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2006 01:36PM by pgens.

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: September 29, 2006 01:46PM

I feel ya brother. That's FFX county. There is law that says every car in FFX has to have a valid inspection sticker and valid tags (used to be county sticker also) if parked in a public place. Your Apt complex is a public place.

The law is suppose cut down on the number of "junk cars" that can sit in one area. Chances are that your car was targeted, most likely from your Apt complex board. I'm I right in saying, "Your car is a complete piece of trash that nobody wants to park near? Maybe a back window with a peice of plastic over it?"

Become An Illegal Alien
Posted by: Pedro ()
Date: September 29, 2006 01:52PM

I came to your country so I could rape, steal and get on welfare. I stole Ken's tags and placed them on my care which is not insured. I have 14 bastard children and all on welfare/Medicade. When the police stop me, I tell them I am a friend of Ken's and have no drivers license. They always let me go!

Ken, thank you so much. It is great to be in America!! All my friends are coming!

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: September 29, 2006 06:55PM

If they ticketed it on private property then the aparment management must have given them permission to enforce it. A few years back in a condo parking lot in Kingstowne the cops were ticketing people on private property for not having a county sticker. The HOA wrote them a letter and told them they do not have permission to be there.
Normally the HOA's dont mind the cops being there but this one chose differently.

Posted by: duh ()
Date: September 29, 2006 10:29PM

Hey, speaking of parking tickets....how come it's illegal to put a For Sale sign on a vehicle parked on a public street?

I have a pickup truck that I've parked on the street in front of my house (single family neighborhood) for over 15 years. I decided to get rid of it and stuck a sign on it....and promptly got a 40 fucking dollar ticket! Everything is right with the truck...valid tags, inspection, and county sticker.

Is this law to combat "Honest Achmed", who unchallenged, would have 50 cars for sale in front of his house?

I moved the truck onto MY property next to the driveway.....I hope the hell that ain't illegal!

Date: September 30, 2006 12:02AM

duh- what exactly did you get ticketed for?

Date: September 30, 2006 12:11AM

"Offering a vehicle for sale on a public street" (or something like that).

Issued by FFX Co PD on the standard parking ticket form.

When I saw it under the windshield wiper, I thought...Oh boy, someone has left me an written offer for the truck....yeah, right! LOL

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: September 30, 2006 12:12AM

I got a similar ticket one time, not really shit you can do. If the HOA didn't give permission, I believe anyone living in the neighborhood can. It's a pretty shitty move and it just makes people dislike the police more for nitpicking.

Date: September 30, 2006 12:23AM

"Offering a vehicle for sale on a public street"

Total fucking nonsense.

Our laws really need to change.

Date: September 30, 2006 08:17AM

I think the "for sale" issue was about what happens around here. The law is there to stop people from clogging streets near main routes with cars having for sale signs. Off Keene Mill Road you would see 20-30 cars with for sale signs parked on roads that have a view of the thousands of passing cars. It bettered the chances of the car being seen and sold. The owners didnt live anywhere near where the cars were parked. The people who did live there and then coudlnt park got pissed off.
I dont see a problem with one car in front of your house but probably some asswipe neighbor who doesnt like you called the police. If I was the cop I would have told you about it and saved you the ticket. I dont think the laws purpose was to hit the single car parked in front of your house but to get rid of the used car lots that were springing up.

Posted by: Someone stole my LMFAO ()
Date: September 30, 2006 07:59PM

The pd are allowed to ticket your vehicle on private property if the complex/hoa gave them written permission to do so... they don't ticket vehicles on private property and wait for someone to complain and WRITE them a letter to stop... they only do so if they were asked to by management and have a letter on file.

Posted by: Fairfax MF-er ()
Date: October 13, 2006 02:16PM

I lived in an apartment complex once that gave cops permission to do this kind of thing. Basically the complex doesn't want to have to deal with abandoned cars, etc. I think it is a pretty common practice.

Posted by: Someone ()
Date: October 19, 2006 06:21PM

I got a ticket for 82-5-26(A) - Invalid/No state license. $40, ok. Then two days later, I get the same ticket again and they remove my plates.

My issues:

- I live in an apartment. I would consider this private property since the apartment has a sign posted at the entrance saying so. I guess the apartment gives the cops permission, then? Would this be documented in the lease or something?

- Whats the deal with tickets 2 days apart, and them taking the plate the second time?

Date: October 19, 2006 07:44PM

As hard as it is to believe the tags themselves actually belong to the Commonwealth of Virginia. It isn't that hard for the government to take the tags since they do own them. This is the truth although I am sure gravis will find some way to argue this point too.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: October 19, 2006 08:15PM

Someone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> - Whats the deal with tickets 2 days apart, and
> them taking the plate the second time?

What's the deal with you not obeying by the law?

Posted by: Someone ()
Date: October 19, 2006 08:24PM

I accept a ticket, but there also needs be reasonable time given to remedy the issue. One day is not reasonable.

Date: October 19, 2006 09:41PM

I agree, taking the plates two days later? That's a bit much. I would expect at least a month before the tags would be gone. Did you get a notice that said you had to remedy the problem in 48 hours.

I know some places will just simply tow the vehicle for no compliance. Humm.. better make sure the next step isn't them towing it away. Crank your wheels full turn, lock them that way and put the emergency break on to f with the towing guys.

Is it really that bad of an eye sore on the neighborhood? Throw a nice tarp over it and maybe they won't mind so much.

Posted by: Someone stole my LMFAO ()
Date: October 20, 2006 04:49PM

Dear Somebody,
Why do you think your apartment complex should have to include anything in the lease about the police department ENFORCING laws on the property... if you weren't so lazy and got your shit in order they wouldnt have ticketed you and taken your plates. I hate it when stupid people complain. If someone keyed your car in the parking lot you wouldn't be complaining when you call the police to file a report...

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: October 20, 2006 11:17PM

Tim45 Wrote:
> As hard as it is to believe the tags themselves
> actually belong to the Commonwealth of Virginia.
> It isn't that hard for the government to take the
> tags since they do own them. This is the truth
> although I am sure gravis will find some way to
> argue this point too.

why would i argue a point of fact? they do own the tags. i believe they also own your driver's license.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: October 21, 2006 10:45PM

Jester Wrote:
> Crank your wheels full turn, lock them that way
> and put the emergency break on to f with the
> towing guys.

Elaborate please.

Date: October 22, 2006 01:39AM

Hey assholes (not you Tricki, you're sweet), this might be news to some. Has your ride ever failed inspection and had a REJECTION sticker affixed to it's cannibis residue stained windshield? It (the sticker) says it's good for like 14 days? WRONG!!!!

The Gestapo (aka FCPD) officer told me, as she was writing my citation, that a rejection sticker is good ONLY from the inspection station to the "point of repair" (presumably another Iraqi or Korean owned gas station), OR if you are especially gifted.....under the shade tree in your front yard. (sticker not guaranteed in that case)

Just in case ya'll didn't know.....

Date: October 22, 2006 03:03PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> Jester Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Crank your wheels full turn, lock them that way
> > and put the emergency break on to f with the
> > towing guys.
>
> Elaborate please.

The proper way to tow a car is with the front wheels in the air. If you park and turn the steering wheel full and then take the keys out, your wheels will be locked in the turn position. When a tow truck tries to pull your car out of a spot by grabbing the back wheels the car will want to turn sideways into cars next to it. The tow truck driver will have to get out "wheelys"and put them under the front wheels so the car won't go sideways. Either that or he has to get in the car and unlock the steering wheel somehow.

The worst way to park if you think your car might be towed is to back in with a front wheel drive car and no emergency brake. A tow truck can simply back up to it and drive away with it.

I hope this tip makes "Henry's towing" life a little harder.

Date: October 22, 2006 09:00PM

This should explain why you should be worried about getting towed next...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNck9vkufJU

Posted by: Just another fact ()
Date: August 19, 2020 01:41PM

Safety inspections make all of us safer

Posted by: burn loot murder ()
Date: August 19, 2020 01:59PM

Edmonston I'd guess?

Posted by: Beware of zombies ()
Date: August 19, 2020 02:02PM

Zombie thread

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.