HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Come On Redskins.......Sonny has to go!
Posted by: Jack Cant Cook ()
Date: August 26, 2016 07:36PM

I decided I would watch the Redskins pre season game tonight as we had nothing else planned. As always, I mute the TV and turn on the radio for the play by play. After 5 minutes I can already tell Sonny Jurgenson is more senile than ever.

Please give this guy his Emeritus status and get him out of the booth. Listening to him last year was painful and sad, so I can't imagine he is any better a year later.

Sonny, I have loved you for years as a player and a broadcaster, but the time has come. Go enjoy doing nothing while you still have time! PLEASE!!!!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Come On Redskins.......Sonny has to go!
Posted by: HXLTp ()
Date: August 26, 2016 07:45PM

+1000

He's almost like a ghost. When he does say something it's mostly mumbling and rambling about nothing. Really sad to hear. Let the man go in peace.

Sorry Sonny, there's a pasture waiting for you somewhere. Go enjoy!

Posted by: HTTRR ()
Date: August 26, 2016 08:45PM

I'm amazed every year I hear his voice in broadcast booth for games. How old is he now like 80? They can't be able to cart him out much longer.

Posted by: Old and in the way ()
Date: August 26, 2016 10:05PM

I'm pretty sure he has blown past 80. Im thinking closer to 85

Posted by: 93xPD ()
Date: August 26, 2016 10:07PM

Sonny is 83 going on 84.....in other words, Old as HELL.

Posted by: xdxGj ()
Date: August 26, 2016 10:15PM

Even for his age he's old. Used to hang out with him fairly regularly at a bar in DC where a relative worked 20 years or more ago. He was looking and acting old as shit then.

Posted by: Mrs Sonny ()
Date: August 26, 2016 10:22PM

xdxGj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even for his age he's old. Used to hang out with
> him fairly regularly at a bar in DC where a
> relative worked 20 years or more ago. He was
> looking and acting old as shit then.

yes.....Sonny has never turned down a drink as far as I know.

Posted by: bring in Kilmer ()
Date: August 26, 2016 10:40PM

Its hard to imagine that Sonny and Joe Theismann played in the same era. Granted, it was at the tail of a long career for Sonny and Joe was just getting started, but still.

Saw Theismann a while ago at the airport. He always had the reputation of being undersized, but he looked much taller than the 6'0" or 6'1" that he was listed at.

He looked like he was in great shape, big in the chest, and no gut.

If he was just some normal 60ish businessman, you'd think he was a guy that went to the gym 2-3 hours a day, and ran 20 miles a week.

He wasn't linebacker big, but still a big and in shape looking sumbish.

Posted by: Frank Herzog ()
Date: August 26, 2016 11:21PM

He's better than listening to Rick Walker talk nonsense and ramble on the whole game. He adds nothing.

Posted by: pTHue ()
Date: August 27, 2016 07:23AM

Just what we need, more Larry Michael talking during a game.......keep Sonny around forever if it keeps that shit for brains from opening his mouth for one minute during a broadcast.

Posted by: Arlington native ()
Date: August 27, 2016 08:23AM

Yea, let's take him out into the back parking lot and shoot him. He's lived a long life. 84 is old. Unless your 75 or 80, and then maybe not so much. When Sonny was playing and "too old to do so" back in 72' and got us to the super bowl with a rag tag bunch, the over the hill gang, he earned the right to stay as long as he is able. Loyalty used to mean something in the NFL. It made the league. Now everyone is just interested in how it will affect your fantasy team. Have some respect, or at least be intelligent enough to realize that some day if your lucky, you'll be 84 too. Perhaps we old timers should save a few bullets for your kid's to use when that time comes. Your call.

Posted by: Sonny be Old! ()
Date: August 27, 2016 09:14AM

Arlington native Wrote:
> Yea, let's take him out into the back parking lot
> and shoot him. He's lived a long life. 84 is old.
> Unless your 75 or 80, and then maybe not so much.
> When Sonny was playing and "too old to do so" back
> in 72' and got us to the super bowl with a rag tag
> bunch, the over the hill gang, he earned the right
> to stay as long as he is able. Loyalty used to
> mean something in the NFL. It made the league. Now
> everyone is just interested in how it will affect
> your fantasy team. Have some respect, or at least
> be intelligent enough to realize that some day if
> your lucky, you'll be 84 too. Perhaps we old
> timers should save a few bullets for your kid's to
> use when that time comes. Your call.

You're a fag.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: August 27, 2016 09:24AM

Sonny and Sam lasted for a long time because they appealed to a wide audience. I don't know of any more recent Redskins who can make the same claim. Cutting Sonny might make sense once they found the right person to replace him.

Posted by: Skins fan ()
Date: August 27, 2016 09:58AM

No, just no,

Posted by: Squaker ()
Date: August 27, 2016 02:51PM

Sonny turned 82 earlier this week. Sam Huff, who knew when to quit, will be 82 in October.

Vince Scully is 88, but he doesn't sound senile.

Posted by: J Gibbs ()
Date: August 27, 2016 03:19PM

Keep Sonny. Get rid of the little prick Danny Boy.

Posted by: Redskins.Jihadist ()
Date: August 27, 2016 03:54PM

Christian Adolph Jurgensen, III is a local treasure by way of Wilmington, NC, a Pro Football Hall of Famer and one of the best football players that's ever lived. Practically speaking, you all are correct...he's not really bringing anything substantive to the play-by-play or the analysis of Redskins radio broadcast. What he does bring is the intangible sense of history, heritage and tradition. I know it's hard for you millennials to comprehend that the world and Redskins football didn't just up and start the day you were born.

The Redskins franchise began as the Boston Braves in 1932 and moved to Washington and re-named the Redskins in 1937. 84 total years and 79 here in DC. Sonny played for the Redskins from 1964-1974. Prior to that, he was with the Philadelphia Eagles from 1957-1963. A 5 time Pro-Bowl player and he won a league championship for PHI in 1960. That was the pre-Super Bowl era. He was inducted into the HOF in 1983. He has covered the Redskins in various roles with the media since his retirement in 1974...42 years now.

It was patently absurd when they fired Frank Herzog. He was, and always will be, the voice of Redskins football. However, as absurd as firing Herzog was, they really should've fired Sonny and Sam Huff and just started out fresh. The team was "Sonny, Sam and Frank". If you break that up...fire them all.

Rick Doc Walker, has been covering the Redskins since his retirement in 1985. The only thing Doc brings to the broadcast is unbridled enthusiasm for the game of football and the burgundy and gold. He has little X's and O's analysis, but he is still somewhat connected to the mind and soul of today's players and can certainly speak to all of us frequently about what constitutes a "manhood issue" out there on the field. But, really, all they use Doc Walker for during game broadcasts is to do the classic, "Ok, let's take it down to Doc on the sidelines...Doc? How is it down there?"

And Doc responds with, "Well, there are some big men down here laying on some big licks and hits...no question! Back to you, Larry!"

Chris Cooley is basically the new Sonny Jurgensen and everything they always wanted out of Doc Walker that he couldn't give. Cooley had a rough go of it behind the mic his first season but, I think he is great now. He clearly is very prepared and every time he opens his mouth, I am usually learning something new about the game or the current Redskins roster. I also like that he is able to break down the complicated technical side of football in a way that casual or new fans can understand. He's been very instrumental in my son's ascension to the rank of Redskins fan. If you've never heard Cooley's film breakdowns during the week on 980AM, I highly recommend them. Each day between games, he breaks down a segment of the team and grades each player. One day for offense, one day for defense and one day for special teams and coaches. Each segment is about 15-20 minutes and then fans can call in.

This is Washington, DC. I guess there's people that think Larry Michael is a big time play-by-play man. He has certainly got the pipes. But, he isn't prepared like Cooley is and Larry refuses to ever say ANYTHING negative about the team. That's fine when you're the league elite and winning 10+ games a season but, if your team is playing poorly, they're playing poorly. Cooley and the fans would be better served by terminating Larry and bringing in a proven play-by-play man.

Posted by: Arlington native ()
Date: August 27, 2016 09:19PM

People tend to hurl insults by way of what they fear. Based on your short comment, I would think you'd be much happier and more at home on the craigslist personals m for m section. I'm certain a nice boy like you could find what your looking for there. As for me, while I'm flattered with the overture, I have other interest so thanks but no thanks.

Posted by: Red Fox Inn ()
Date: August 27, 2016 10:01PM

Squaker Wrote:
> Sonny turned 82 earlier this week. Sam Huff, who
> knew when to quit, will be 82 in October.
>
> Vince Scully is 88, but he doesn't sound senile.

Sam came into the Red Fox in Middleburg every morning for breakfast. Told the same story over and over about being cut from the Giants. His daughter tricked him into going to a nursing home.

Posted by: Norv T ()
Date: August 28, 2016 12:23AM

As long as the greedy little jew owns the Redskins, DC has no football team.

Posted by: Jew Snyder ()
Date: August 28, 2016 12:27AM

People still care about the Redskins?

Posted by: Sam Huff ()
Date: August 28, 2016 12:35AM

Sonny turned 82 earlier this week. Sam Huff, who knew when to quit, will be 82 in October.

Shut up boy I was fired. Cooley didn't even know who Herb Mul-key was when Sonny mentioned him during last night's broadcast yet Joe was talking about Mike Nelms. Get rid of I add no value Cooley, Larry the mouth Michaels and Pete and Repeat Walker.

Posted by: comments by Sonny ()
Date: August 28, 2016 02:04PM

Sonny say shit like,

"If the redskins had scored just two more touchdowns we would have had a much different outcome."

" If the offense is not on the field it becomes more difficult to score."

"Other than the three missed field goals and the three interceptions in the red zone the Redskins played some pretty good football!"

Posted by: WobbleAndWinWithWillie ()
Date: August 28, 2016 11:31PM

Sonny's just fine when he contributes to the broadcasts, but he doesn't speak as frequently on them as in the past. A good percentage of Redskins fans who do listen to games on the radio likely do so just to hear Sonny's occasional comments. A distinct voice and personality that brings back great memories. Cooley is pretty good, I have to say, and I'd bet at least 75% of Redskins fans have no idea who Herb Mul-Key is/was. Doc, not so great. And they never should've replaced Frank with Larry.

Posted by: Chick Hernandez ()
Date: August 29, 2016 12:07AM

Much better doing play by play than Larry the Mouth Michaels. Cooley tries to be funny but he's not. I'll give him a break on not knowing who Mul-Key was but I'll bet you he doesn't know the name Jerry Smith. Sam, Sonny and Frank was the perfect package. Frankly I'd like to have Brian Mitchell in the booth. He honed his skills and brings a lot to the table

Posted by: OverTheHillGang ()
Date: August 29, 2016 05:29PM

While I doubt Cooley knows much about the Skins of the '70s, he probably knows who Jerry Smith is -- if for no other reason than Cooley passed Smith for the team's all time reception leader at TE sometime around 2011.

Posted by: hLMYC ()
Date: August 29, 2016 06:57PM

Red Fox Inn Wrote:
> Squaker Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sonny turned 82 earlier this week. Sam Huff,
> who
> > knew when to quit, will be 82 in October.
> >
> > Vince Scully is 88, but he doesn't sound
> senile.
>
> Sam came into the Red Fox in Middleburg every
> morning for breakfast. Told the same story over
> and over about being cut from the Giants. His
> daughter tricked him into going to a nursing home.

I think you mean the Coach Stop. Red Fox was never open for breakfast to my knowledge.

Posted by: Jack Cant Cook ()
Date: August 29, 2016 06:58PM

comments by Sonny Wrote:
> Sonny say shit like,
>
> "If the redskins had scored just two more
> touchdowns we would have had a much different
> outcome."
>
> " If the offense is not on the field it becomes
> more difficult to score."
>
> "Other than the three missed field goals and the
> three interceptions in the red zone the Redskins
> played some pretty good football!"

That's OK. Huff talked an entire game about playing on astro turf and the game was being played on grass at Fed Ex.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.