HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Tax holiday
Posted by: Hmmmmm ()
Date: August 05, 2016 05:19AM

http://www.tax.virginia.gov/content/sales-tax-holiday

Sales Tax Holiday/Tax-Free Weekend
August 5-7, 2016

Legislation enacted by the 2015 General Assembly combined Virginia’s three sales tax holidays into one three-day holiday beginning the first Friday in August at 12:01 a.m. and ending the following Sunday at 11:59 p.m. This year’s sales tax holiday is August 5-7.

During the sales tax holiday period, consumers can purchase qualifying school supplies, clothing, footwear, hurricane and emergency preparedness items, and Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products without paying sales tax. This includes qualifying items purchased online, by mail or over the phone.

In addition to the specific items exempted, retailers may also choose to offer other items “tax-free” by paying the sales tax themselves during the holiday.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tax holiday
Posted by: Concerned customer ()
Date: August 05, 2016 06:55AM

I read retailers raise the prices during this period, so there really aren't any savings.

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: August 05, 2016 07:34AM

You’re late

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: August 05, 2016 07:35AM

it’s a win win for state and merchants

Posted by: shfty ()
Date: August 05, 2016 04:30PM

Beware! I have have tried to buy items that were supposedly "exempt" during the sales tax holiday, only to find out that some businesses not only refuse to participate in this event, but also will not honor the exemption of those items excluded from the sales tax.

If you still want to purchase items during this sales tax free holiday, make sure the item will be exempt from the sales tax before you buy it, and check your receipt before you leave the store to be certain that the sales tax was not inadvertently added.

Good weekend.

Posted by: DHKGK ()
Date: August 05, 2016 04:54PM

shfty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beware! I have have tried to buy items that were
> supposedly "exempt" during the sales tax holiday,
> only to find out that some businesses not only
> refuse to participate in this event, but also will
> not honor the exemption of those items excluded
> from the sales tax.
>
> If you still want to purchase items during this
> sales tax free holiday, make sure the item will be
> exempt from the sales tax before you buy it, and
> check your receipt before you leave the store to
> be certain that the sales tax was not
> inadvertently added.
>
> Good weekend.

It's a real pain in the ass for sellers. I have to go in and change the set up for my POS and merchant accounts and you can't just do it for the entire transaction, you have to pick out specific categories of products and it's not always clear what's included or not. Costs me more in time than it's worth for the piddly $2.37 saved by anybody. I'd rather just give you the damn difference back.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.