HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Senior citizens, restaurant workers oppose tax, fear retribution
Posted by: opposition to the meals tax ()
Date: August 04, 2016 10:22AM

A group of Fairfax senior citizens hold an informal meeting each week at a local McDonald’s. They meet to chat, help each other, and just get out of the house.

Lately, they’ve been chatting a lot about the proposed meals tax.

“This will hurt us” said a member of the group. “True, it is not a lot of money, but small amounts add” added another. “And, on a fixed income, with Social Security increases being next to nothing, it is a problem.”

The manager of the McDonald’s says they receive a generous senior citizen discount. “However, I could not exempt them from this tax, if it passed” he commented. “They have been coming here for some time, I would hate to lose them as customers, to say nothing of the negative impact this would have on their lives.”

The McDonald’s manager and some members of the group are immigrants from a country with a history of political oppression. As a result, they do not want their names used, and they will not mention which McDonald’s location they use for their meetings. “We have seen school board members attack businesses for not supporting this tax, we do not need problems from elected officials” was the summary one of them offered.

It is also clear that many of the County’s restaurant workers, some of whom are dependent on tips, have organized “get out the vote” drives to see the tax is defeated. “I am sure that when customers see that extra tax added, it will come out of my tip” stated a single mother who works part time as a waitress.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Senior citizens, restaurant workers oppose tax, fear retribution
Posted by: K6b4 ()
Date: August 04, 2016 11:52AM

There are functioning elderly people who live here who will not be affected by this tax, know some of them who have been retired for 20 years or longer. They personally do not like the tax only because they are cheapskates, even though they are financially well-to-do.

Posted by: not quite right ()
Date: August 04, 2016 11:55AM

K6b4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are functioning elderly people who live here
> who will not be affected by this tax, know some of
> them who have been retired for 20 years or longer.
> They personally do not like the tax only because
> they are cheapskates, even though they are
> financially well-to-do.

Unless there is some form of relief from the tax, everyone would be affected. The question is by how much. The tax would affect some more than others. Those most affected by the tax appear to be organizing against it,

Posted by: Elitist DEM ()
Date: August 05, 2016 10:01PM

I will not be affected by this tax so I support it you cheap heartless bastards.

Posted by: My SS Raise Was ()
Date: August 05, 2016 10:58PM

2.50 a month.. No Meals tax ! Thanks!

And GIANT FOOD .. Go To Hell!, Today I was asked if I wanted to donate to FCPS.. 1...2 billion dollar budget and Giant Foods Looking for donations? A Laugh! The 200-300 K they might raise would go to Sea Pearl.. I about said HELL NO and left the store with the food on the belt.. Knock that Off GIANT!

Posted by: Jerrydickerton ()
Date: August 05, 2016 11:50PM

Worst decision of my life was moving from FL to Fairfax. Say what you will bout FL, but they dont tax you to death like fairfax does. And I dont see anything special here for the taxes you pay except a lot of self entitled bureaucrats drivin around in nice cars goin to their do nothing jobs.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.